Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

2013 British Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Silverstone, 2013

What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (6%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (11%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (29%)
  • 10 (9%)

Total Voters: 851

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

This is the 101st edition of Rate the Race – see how the first 100 races were ranked:

2013 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

314 comments on Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

1. Macca1977 said on 30th June 2013, 14:54

a 10 ??? you have to be kidding, most like a 4.

2. Cornflakes (@cornflakes) said on 30th June 2013, 14:55

9/10 – A fantastic race, enjoyed almost every minute of it. I took a point off for the tyre issues. Although it made it interesting and exciting, it’s not how excitement should be dealt

3. Fixy (@fixy) said on 30th June 2013, 14:55

This is not how a Formula 1 Grand Prix should be. It was frightening at times. But to say it wasn’t exciting? It definitely was, unfortunately at the beginning the only question in my mind was who was going to suffer the next puncture.
    I hoped that with all the mess and the chaos an underdog won, and Sutil was indeed in a podium position for most of the race.
    For once, though, I was glad to see the drivers hit by misfortune work their way back up to the front, because it felt wrong when a third of the drivers had a blown tyre.
    8/10

4. Drezone said on 30th June 2013, 14:56

Tyres shocking but racing amongst chaos good with good result

Why does webber always have a problem off the start when he’s on the same row with vettel…hmmmm

5. Linda1 said on 30th June 2013, 14:56

wonder what helped mercedes solve there tyre wear problems.

6. scuderia_fan85 (@scuderia_fan85) said on 30th June 2013, 14:56

Kimi im sure will be fuming at Lotus’ extremely stupid decision not to dive right into the pits for fresh rubber. from 2nd to 5th. I really hopes this makes him decide to switch teams.

Boullier says he will try and convince Kimi to stay, but with this kinda absurd reckless call not to pit their guy and it has cost him massive points to Vettel and Fernando

• tasimana said on 30th June 2013, 15:18

Same for Ricciardo. Cost him badly, not to mention pitting a few laps later for the second stops that lost him another few places.

• I too am fuming over that decision. Raikkonen would have been out with Webber and I think 2nd was certain, at worst 3rd if he’d come in. It wasn’t a difficult call, but Lotus showed today their small team mentality with the conservative approach, making the same call as the midfield teams Toro Rosso and Force India. It is not a coincidence that the teams who made the brave call to pit are the top three teams in the constructors. Ok it could have backfired, but it could also have won them the race.

• scuderia_fan85 (@scuderia_fan85) said on 30th June 2013, 16:50

“free pitstop”. ntn to lose, everything to gain. and I believe Kimi could of held off Webber for 2nd position with fresh rubber. Kimi has already given his word to RBR to sign with them, just gonna wait till his contract and season end to put pen to paper

7. Danksa (@danieljaksa) said on 30th June 2013, 14:57

Too many tyre issues! Maybe more secret testing is needed

8. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 30th June 2013, 14:58

I voted #1. I can’t help but think that we were on the verge of seeing a driver fatality today. The race then became an indy styled race with a couple of safety car deployments, at least 4 tyres delaminating. This meant that the winner can’t say that he was the best out there, but he will be known as the lucky driver.

Alonso was so lucky today behind Sergio Perez, and Kimi was littered by debris from Jean Eric Vergne.

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 30th June 2013, 15:11

@dragoll

Is there any situation in particular you’re talking about?

Punctures have always happened, just because there were many of them today doesn’t mean they have suddenly become any more dangerous as separate events.

• Is there any situation in particular you’re talking about?

@tmekt: Raikkonen behind Massa and Vettel behind Rosberg were mild but Raikkonen behind Vergne and Alonso behind Perez were downright scary scenes.

Raikkonen almost got hit in the head there by that huge chunk of rubber and if Perez would have lifted more suddenly there was no way Alonso wouldn’t have climbed his rear wing.

I don’t agree with people referring to a potential fatality here, but today was dangerous, there’s no doubt about that. And after what happened at Le Mans last week and during Blancpain today, it’s reasonable for people to be a bit more pessimistic in relation to motorsports for a while and I can understand that.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th June 2013, 16:25

I don’t agree with people referring to a potential fatality here

@tony021r I was watching Le Mans last week and when the no 95 Aston Martin crashed it looked like just another accident. I actually had forgotten about it that evening, but when I came home at 11 o’clock at night it turned out that crashed had been fatal. What I’m trying to say is it takes just a little bit of bad luck to turn an ordinary accident into a fatal one.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th June 2013, 16:26

@tony031r rather

• What I’m trying to say is it takes just a little bit of bad luck to turn an ordinary accident into a fatal one.

@andae23: I absolutely agree and under no circumstances what happened in today’s race was ok. I’ve already said it, it was far too dangerous even by extremely dangerous competitions standards.

But what happened with Simonsen and Mame is a different affair and it doesn’t really translate into the same kind of risk while running F1 cars. The materials are different, the reactions you get from the car are different, the reaction speeds are different, the tracks are different and the drivers are of a different breed.

I didn’t see Mame’s crash but Simonsen’s…that was everything that could have gone wrong, going wrong. Even though the crash didn’t look all that bad, it was. Crashing head-on in a GT car (especially at Tertre Rouge) is probably one of the worst case scenarios at Le Mans. And to be honest, Tracy Krohn was unbelievably lucky he hit the tyre wall with the back of his Ferrari, a couple of days earlier, otherwise that would have been a very serious incident as well.

So I can understand why people are scared this could happen in any competition now but the truth is none of the situations we saw at Silverstone today could have possibly led to a fatality.

However, that doesn’t make the whole issue less serious. Motorsport is dangerous by definition and it can all go wrong in a split second in ideal racing conditions, nevermind when one of your tyres blows out suddenly at racing speed.

• none of the situations we saw at Silverstone today could have possibly led to a fatality

By this, I mean the exact situations Hamilton, Vergne, Massa and Perez found themselves in. We could have had other much worse scenarios happening…

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th June 2013, 17:33

@tony031r Thanks for explaining.

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 30th June 2013, 22:39

Is there any situation in particular you’re talking about?

@tmekt I talk about Jean Eric Vergne who was extremely lucky not to go off at Stowe at top speed. We saw 3 tyre delaminations on the straight and in the entry to Stowe. Just remember, it was at Stowe that M. Schumacher broke his leg, and its purely down to a speed factor at that point of the track.

I feel like everyone is just blaise about the situation, from reading the responses on here, which is nice, but the fact still remains the situation was dangerous above the normal levels of safety we’ve come to expect from Formula 1.

9. nmsi (@nmsi) said on 30th June 2013, 14:58

For the last 10 laps – 9. For ~6 tire issues – 1. Since safety comes first gave a solid 3.

10. Andre Costa said on 30th June 2013, 15:00

It’s simply incredible Pirelli’s irresponsability. How FIA (and I include Bernie’s guilty) can continue authorizing Pirelli making paper tires, letting Drivers, track controllers and even the public in risk all the time? It’s time to FOM review their concepts.

11. Robert Tang (@robertthespy) said on 30th June 2013, 15:00

10/10 for Pirelli making the race more interesting by making self-exploding tyres!

12. Troy Longstaff (@troylongstaff) said on 30th June 2013, 15:01

I was ready to give it a 3 because of Pirelli, but because of Sebastian Vettel, I gave it a 7. Thrilling finish, one more lap and Webber may have got past Rosberg, still a nail-biting last seven laps. The proverbial is definitely hitting the fan for Pirelli.

13. Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 30th June 2013, 15:01

Voted 1 simply because I’m not a fan of demolition derby

14. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 30th June 2013, 15:01

I gave 1, because of all these tyre failures. It ruined whole race. Drivers were risking their safety and the order wouldve been very different without tyre failures.

15. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 30th June 2013, 15:03

Can we not judge the race solely on the final 7-10 laps please? They were phenomenal so the way I’m going to rate it is via the renowned F1 Fanatic balance system.

5/10

- +1 For Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and Webber’s drives
    - +1 Vettel’s retirement bringing the championship some life.
    - +1 The racing and driving in the first and final few laps of the race.
    - +1 The vocal, passionate atmosphere the crowds formed

- -1 The tyre farce created by Pirelli. That is all to it.

Making it 8/10 overall personally.

• Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 30th June 2013, 15:06

+1 Also for the drivers still pushing and racing despite being warned off the apexes and kerbs by their engineers (on that front, they thoroughly deserve praise) after the absurdity endured in the form of the tyre explosions. My balloons even started exploding also when I was blowing some up just to sedate myself.