Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

2013 British Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Silverstone, 2013

What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (6%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (11%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (29%)
  • 10 (9%)

Total Voters: 851

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

This is the 101st edition of Rate the Race – see how the first 100 races were ranked:

2013 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

314 comments on Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

1 4 5 6 7 8 11
  1. Zedd (@zedd) said on 30th June 2013, 15:25

It was a outstanding race in terms of the actual racing. But the tires were a real letdown, Pirelli made it a disgrace to Formula One. I will have zero tolerance if this keeps happening in Germany, then F1 need to look after a new tire supplier. However if Pirelli can prove that this will not happen again, then maybe they still have a shot at F1.

2. Jonny705 (@jonny705) said on 30th June 2013, 15:29

The last part was great, but it is very easy to give a rating based on how good the end was and totally forget the rest as if it doesn’t matter. Yes I am satisfied with the result with respect to how it opens up the standings a bit more. Yes the tyre issues were intriguing as we were sat wondering when the next one would happen. But it had a negative impact on the majority of the race. Correct me if I’m wrong but if it wasn’t for the safety car after the last puncture, the race may not have had such an exciting conclusion.

We’ve put up with the whole ‘look after your tyres’ stuff for a while now, but I’m not watching a race where drivers are told to avoid using the kerbs or pushing the limits of the circuit as far as they can. Some ignored the calls but there was too much caution throughout.

This isn’t really 100% Pirelli’s fault. They’ve come up with a potential solution and the teams are far too concerned about their championship position to think about the change’s impact on the actual sport. Why should they govern what happens anyway? Pirelli have suggested some alterations, the FIA should say ‘yes’ or ‘no’, and that should be the end of it.

The end of the race was an easy 9-9.5/10 but the rest was too cautious for the race as a whole to warrant more than a 6.

3. andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th June 2013, 15:31

2/10

This is probably the best racing I’ve seen in a while. Overtakes into Vale, the loop and Copse were mega. Fair racing, clean fights, brave stuff all around.

However, I couldn’t enjoy any of that. I literally had to walk away from the telly a few times just to catch my breath again. The constant fear when the cars were going down Hangar straight came to a point it became unbearable.

Last week poor Allan Simonsen was killed at the 24 Hours of Le Mans after his car suddenly and unexpectedly veered into the barriers. Just this morning Andrea Mame was killed at Paul Ricard. This isn’t a joke, this sport kills people. Apart from the Pirellis being too weak, the FIA should have red flagged this at the time they released the safety car for the first time: if it wasn’t for Hamilton’s, Vergne’s or Perez’ cat-like reflexes, their cars could have hit the wall in the same way that Aston Martin hit the barrier at Tertre Rouge last week.

This is a disgrace. I came very close to switching off the TV. Driver safety should be taken seriously.

• @andae23: Perhaps the most reasonable comment I’ve read so far.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 30th June 2013, 17:01

COTD

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 2nd July 2013, 11:10

Very good comment. I felt much the same @andae23.

I do intend to vote differently on the race though, let me explain why:
      – Huge respect for all the guys out on track (that is both drivers and marshalls) to go on with this race after all what happened
      – I see this race as a very important turning point in the sport by now. Combined with the Pirelli/Mercedes test+Tribunal and the lack of a Concorde agreement (not allowing Marussia in is surely against EU competition law) and Todt now taking charge of affairs (finally getting into action?) I see this as a good chance to move the sport on and make a new solid foundation for the coming years.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 2nd July 2013, 11:49

I see this race as a very important turning point in the sport by now.

@bascb I can actually see that happening. The mess around the tyres has come to a point that even drivers are complaining this has gone too far – certainly next year the aim will be to have less degrading tyre. Unfortunately, spectators seemed to love the horror show that was the British GP, which is quite disturbing to be honest. But indeed, things are starting to look prosperous for the first time in quite a while.

The thing that made me give it a 2/10 was just the fear that I felt during the GP. During the ‘killer years’, say 1970-1975, driver fatalities were common, arguably the chance of a driver getting killed in a GP in those days were higher than they were during the 2013 British GP. But the difference is that in 1970, a driver put his faith in his mechanics that they had delivered him a good car that wouldn’t break down at high speed. Last Sunday it became apparent that the tyres were not safe – but they still continued, knowing it was Russian roulette, as MW accurately points out.

Of course, huge respect for the drivers and marshalls for just continuing with what they were supposed to do, but the FIA should have acted. It was agony to watch, which made me stop appreciating the racing at the end. Perhaps if I had recorded it and watched it back knowing no drivers were injured, it could have been quite entertaining. But anyway, that’s my reasoning.

4. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 30th June 2013, 15:32

This gotta be the best race of the season so far:

1. Mercedes are racing… such a great thing to see.
    2. Lewis’s fightback in the final stages. He will be my driver of the race weekend for me.
    3. Nail biting finish

5. Erzen (@xenif1) said on 30th June 2013, 15:34

A really ******* up race, gave it a 7 because of the tire failures, first time i’m ****** off at Pirelli actually. The last 7 laps were incredible though, after the safety car got back in all the drivers were on their limits, nice race overall but Pirelli now has more pressure than ever to change their tires if they want to stay in the sport.

6. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 30th June 2013, 15:41

8/10 Wasn’t actually that bad of a race and was very exciting. However it was rather too tense at times when the blowouts were occurring.

7. baldgye (@baldgye) said on 30th June 2013, 15:41

Voted 2.

This isn’t what F1 is suppose to be about.

8. tmax (@tmax) said on 30th June 2013, 15:45

Good race . exploding tires added the drama. Otherwise it would have been a procession.

Oh wait conspiracy theory. Was this tire drama a total setup to improve the show and the ticket sales ;)

Just kidding guys…. It was pretty dangerous driving conditions out there. Safety should be No 1 priority

9. Piyush (@square-route) said on 30th June 2013, 15:46

8/10 …… coz i had my dose of fun,great overtakes n all ……… however nt by any means an ideal race …….
    Question — Had Alonso been hit by that scrap, would Pirelli have been criminally charged or something …… ????

10. Eddie (@wackyracer) said on 30th June 2013, 15:46

Last laps prove that best racing comes when drivers can push how much they want, no need of crappy tyres to make it interesting

• If it wasn’t for the drivers in between Hamilton,Alonso and Webber, there would not have been a single overtake in the last ten laps. They had fresh crappy tyres, the others had worn crappy tyres. Makes no difference…

11. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 30th June 2013, 15:46

It would have been a perfect 10 had it not been for the tyres …. 9 for me because of the fantastic last laps

12. Almirand Munga (@perlazeze) said on 30th June 2013, 15:48

It was a great race but I will vote it 1 just because of the Pirelli tires. I am very frustrated with these tires :(

13. Nick (@npf1) said on 30th June 2013, 15:50

I’m very conflicted.

I saw some great racing today, not just the last 7 laps. There was drama outside of the tires as well, Alonso’s release, the Lotus battle, Webber and Alonso fighting back.

At the same time, the tyre madness was concerning. Usually, I don’t worry about yellows, but at a track like Monaco I usually have a split-second of worry about my favourites. But today, after Massa’s tyre blew, I was worried for the safety of the drivers. I think the fatality claims are a little far-fetched, but I didn’t feel entirely comfortable with every yellow after Massa.

Still, it’s a rate the race, and I think the race was great. The Pirelli debate will rage on, but the only thing that needs to change is safety. DRS zones need to be shorter and people need to stop booing Vettel.

An 8, although I worry about the message that sends to Pirelli.

14. pH (@ph) said on 30th June 2013, 15:50

Gave it an 8. The exploding tires and racing at the end made me feel like it was the 80’s again.

Just wondering, the next time Pirelli comes up with the suggestion that tires should be changed to safer ones, how will the teams vote?

15. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 30th June 2013, 15:57

Popped tires and what seemed like unending safety cars ruined what could have been the most exciting grand prix of the year.

7/10 from me.