Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

2013 British Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Silverstone, 2013

What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (6%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (11%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (29%)
  • 10 (9%)

Total Voters: 851

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

This is the 101st edition of Rate the Race – see how the first 100 races were ranked:

2013 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

314 comments on Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

1. Tariq Patel (@mdtariqp) said on 30th June 2013, 19:01

I gave it a 9 for the sheer excitement it produced. I know the tyres exploding was a very dangerous thing for the drivers and at one point I thought the race would be red flagged or even abandoned.

However nothing can take away from the fact that there were plenty of over taking moves (some of them sheer brilliant) and the great recovery drives by Hamilton, Massa, Webber, Di Riesta.

2. DaveD (@daved) said on 30th June 2013, 19:02

I’d give the DRIVERS a 10 for this race, and Pirelli a giant *ZERO* for it. So an average of ’5′.

Wait, is that why Pirelli has their “P Zero” tires? LOL

3. David not Coulthard (@) said on 30th June 2013, 19:10

6/10. Yes, delaminations, I suppose, for obvious reasons.

I loved the closing stages, though, I mean anything after the last safety car, and , being a Vettel fan, not including Vetttel’s retirement.

I think the race was a combination between last year’s Valencia and Marina Bay Grands Prix. Lewis gave his lead to Vettel by falling from the lead (albeit not retiring this time around), and Vettel then retired. The winner, though, was not Alonso, it was a Tyrrell-driving Rosberg.

As a small note, The end of the race was similar to when Lewis’ tyres failed in that a Tyrrell was in 1st place, with a Stewart 2nd.

But still…..tyres.

4. Steven Smith (@ragwort) said on 30th June 2013, 19:11

After attending my thirtieth British GP. I’ve given this one a nine. It probably ranks amongst the top five of those races.
    The race was made more interesting by the whole tyre scenario, by the Safety Car interventions, Vettels retirement, and the two hard charging drives of Hamilton and Webber. Plus credit to Sutil for a decent drive for 3/4 of the race. Much of which saw himbeing tailed by two former Chapions in Alonso and the Ice Man.

5. Tiffoc (@tiffoc) said on 30th June 2013, 19:19

Voted 9 but… A BIG BUT, the Tyres must be sorted out… NOW!!!

6. F1Sidewinda (@f1sidewinda) said on 30th June 2013, 19:24

I can’t call what I watched this afternoon, a race. I’m sorry, as exciting and as interesting as it all was, It was too tesnse for me, knowing the danger round every corner. The only fatal footage I have ever seen of a sports man/woman is Senna’s crash, as it was in the film, I hope to never see a live fatal accident. Today was too close to one if you ask me. I canot blame the Kerbs as they were there last year and as far as i can tell, have not changed. Thank you pirelli for ruining what was set to be a titanic British Gran Prix. It gets a 1 from me.

7. Latvian (@latvian) said on 30th June 2013, 19:33

rate the race? this wan no race. this was a contest not to blow your tires up.
    I give 1 point for this. pathetic British GP

8. Latvian (@latvian) said on 30th June 2013, 19:34

p.s. and I will never buy Pirelli tires for my car.

9. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 30th June 2013, 19:38

It’s very easy for kneejerk reactions to races like this. So I had a proper think through before I voted this race a 7.
    Good moments included Hamilton on pole for his home GP, close racing throughout the race, and a finish that meshed together great defensive driving and overtakes both DRS and non-DRS.

Bad moments included the inevitability of bad press following Massa’s tyre issue (1 car people can tend to pass off, 2 or more like today and it gets tricky), the crowd’s incredibly loud cheer when Vettel broke down (I’m not a fan of any driver inparticular, but to cheer at another person’s misfortune seems a bit harsh) and the potential problems that F1 will face now with tyres. As both Hamilton and Button have said, the evidence is staring them in the face. I just hope the teams (And Pirelli and the FIA) can find a solution which benefits all parties…

10. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 30th June 2013, 19:45

Another tainted win for the cheaters, with confirmation that their illegal test clearly solved their tire woes. On top of that the continued tire explosions, poor sportsmanship of the fans in the stands chearing Vettel’s retirement. The only bright spot was Webber recovering to take 2nd after one of his worst starts ever. I give it a 3.

11. jankyb46 said on 30th June 2013, 19:48

Why all those 9 and 10s ? I’m 100% sure that those who gave the race more than 6 started watching F1 two or three years ago, no way this race was good by any means. The tyres disintegrating dangerously, deserving leaders retired (Vettel) or got issues with tyres (Lewis), SCs were the only source of entertainment. It is a sad statement of the actual status of f1. Even the Merc testgate repercusions have brought a sensation of discomfort when you watch the final result, knowing those two Mercedes shouldn’t be there if they have followed the other teams ethic (RBR or Ferrari are not saints but at least they don’t break the rules so blatantly and/or can’t get away like that when caught). Not sure if this is the worst place F1 have been since the 90s, but it is up there with the 2005 USA Michelin fiasco (specially now with the upgrades Mercedes unfairly got) or “Stepneygate” , I mean everything is so artificial now that is almost impossible to recognize the so called pinnacle of motorsport anymore. At this pace of stupidity and for the rates people are giving to this race, we should expect Bernie’s sprinklers system making its way through the regulations in future years and F1 new lottery system of “guess who got the explosive tire this race”.

12. Krichelle (@krichelle) said on 30th June 2013, 20:25

9/10, UNBELIVABLE sprint at the end by Alonso, Rosberg, Hamilton, Webber. The delamination on everybody made me go nervous if it was going to happen on other cars, you never know. Remember Massa’s incident in 2009 where part of Barrichello’s car came off and hit him??? Who knows I don’t want to be behind a car at 190mph and then rubber comes right in my face. What if I am blinded by that??? Kimi’s “near accident” was nearly as his fuel in Brazil 2009, where he got hit with fuel in his eyes with the visor open.
    Overall, I loved how the top 4 did sprint laps at the end… And the battle between Di Resta and Lewis

13. Guelph (@guelph) said on 30th June 2013, 20:53

I gave it a 10, for one main reason: unpredictability.

Imagine if you will, that the tires were indestructable and everyone was able to make it on one stop. Everyone would have strung out throughout the race and the only thing of any interest would have been Vettel’s gearbox going out.

But with the drivers puncturing their tires on the curbs, there was no point in the race where any position was safe.

It was a throwback to the races of the 80′s and 90′s when cars weren’t nearly as reliable as now, and any car had the potential to break at any time.

Most of the field managed to not damage their tires, so I wouldn’t be so quick to blame Pirelli here. We all know the teams are already going to the edge on their own, and this time some of them went too far over the edge.

14. Alfred (@afya) said on 30th June 2013, 21:09

This is a mess. Not a race.

Although the battle towards the end is good, I can’t rate this any higher than 5. And the fans’ reaction to Vettel’s retirement makes it -1.

15. Jarv F150 (@jarvf150) said on 30th June 2013, 21:11

Very very exciting – 10!
    Though it probably should have been red flaged for obvious reasons.