Horner wary of threat from Mercedes

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Silverstone, 2013In the round-up: Red Bull team principal is not underestimating the threat from Mercedes who have moved up to second in the championship.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Horner: Merc contenders now (Sky)

“They’re a good team, they’ve got a quick car, they’ve got good drivers. They’re for sure going to be a contender between now and the end of the year, as are Ferrari, as are Lotus.”

Q&A with Mercedes? Toto Wolff (F1)

“Silverstone just was [a good race for Mercedes], despite not being a typical English Sunday afternoon, and I am looking forward to a typical Eifel weekend in Germany. Beyond that Spa is our next best bet.”

Mercedes improvement linked to illegal test, say rivals (ESPN)

Eric Boullier: “Two wins out of the three races after they tested, so the conclusion is easy. It is just facts. Two races won out of the three.”

Domenicali says Ferrari not fooled by Formula One podium finish (AutoWeek)

“We need to understand in these two or three days at home why, because there is something, I would say, bigger than little details that caused us not to be as we normally are here in Silverstone, better in terms of pace, and better at qualifying, everything.”

FIA to send observers to F1 test (Autosport)

“These observers will check the running programmes of every team to ensure any car development work is only done by the ‘young’ drivers who will still be present at the test.”

Teams pulling together, for now (The Telegraph)

“It is expected that the latest Concorde Agreement, the commercial pact which binds the sport together, will be signed off this week after years of haggling. Do not bet on it. The spirit of cooperation seen yesterday is unlikely to last for long.”

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Silverstone, 2013Esteban Gutierrez word of advice for future athletes (Esteban Gutierrez)

“You have to be open to face each and every challenge you find, from making contacts, closing agreements that will help fund your career, keep close to your surroundings, including family, get your gear, make good races, have a good relationship with your rivals, know how to lose and win gracefully, control your emotions, keep your head cool.”

From the archive, 2 July 1903: The Gordon Bennett motor race in Ireland (The Guardian)

“By the terms under which the Gordon-Bennett Cup race is held every part of the competing cars has to be made in the country which they represent. Now the tyres they have had made in Germany for the Mercedes cars have hardly proved satisfactory. This occasionally happens with the best of makes, as cyclists know well.”

Vettel the villain (MotorSport)

“The cheers and jeers of the British crowd upon his retirement at Silverstone were wholly inappropriate.”

Lap it up! (The Sun)

It’s encouraging to see many responses to this article criticise its stance that the potentially dangerous tyre failures seen in Sunday’s race were good for Formula One. Particularly in the light of the recent deaths of Allen Simonsen and Andrea Mame in other racing categories.

Tweets

Comment of the day

@CapeFear takes issue with Paul Hembery’s statement yesterday:

“What happened at Silverstone was completely unexpected and it was the first time that anything like this has ever occurred in more than a century of Pirelli in motorsport,” said motorsport director Paul Hembery.

Oh really, Paul?

Nine Pirelli failures in a Ferrari race, all left-rear failures too. I went to that race and it was a joke of a race, I got my money back! I guess these sharp kerbs seem to come around when convenient.
@CapeFear

From the forum

Site updates

The Comments FAQ has been updated:

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Troma and Chris Preston!

On this day in F1

Alain Prost won his home race 25 years ago today after springing a brilliant pass on McLaren team mate Ayrton Senna in the Beausset double right-hander at Paul Ricard in the French Grand Prix.

Behind the fifth McLaren one-two in seven races Michele Alboreto finished a distant third for Ferrari, almost a minute behind.

Images ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Sauber

101 comments on Horner wary of threat from Mercedes

1. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 3rd July 2013, 0:07

Did Massa want to say “great pineapple”?

2. Alex Russell (@kimihakkinen) said on 3rd July 2013, 0:14

Enjoyed the article on the Gordon Bennett Cup. I would love to see an F1 race in Ireland in the near future. It’d be one guaranteed wet race a year and would save me a great deal of money!

3. celeste (@celeste) said on 3rd July 2013, 0:53

Excellent comment in that Motorsport article @keithcollantine

4. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 3rd July 2013, 0:57

I wonder why the bloke who wrote that Vettel the Villain article was so upset about the cheering when Seb’s car stopped on Sunday….I know I cheered..in fact that was the highlight of the race for me! I cheered not because I dislike Vettel, I cheered because the Championship would still be alive. If Seb had strolled to victory, thats would have been it, championship over!

Whatever the case, Seb has become an un-likable character of late. Over ther past couple years, he has slowly been changing. Initially it was great, it almost as if F1 had its own Valentino Rossi…but I guess F1 is a cold cut throat sport…you eventually have to evolve I suppose.

5. nackavich (@nackavich) said on 3rd July 2013, 1:30

Getting a bit sick hearing about the fact that the British crowd cheered when Vettel retired.
    If I had’ve been there, I would’ve cheered as well.

Why? Because its a sport: there are winners, losers, public enemies and public heroes.
    Vettel, to a lot of people, is a public hero. I saw how many fans he had at the Australian GP – in fact there were probably as many “Vettel” hats than there were “Webber” hats.
    But people love to see him fail or retire or make a mistake purely because it doesn’t happen that often.

And some may think “oh, it’s unsportsmanlike”, but guys like Vettel and Alonso have done enough “unsportsmanlike” things to polarize a crowd.

I’m sure that if Vettel had’ve crossed the line first, he would’ve been applauded for his effort. But his retirement wasn’t applauded out of hatred (well, maybe for a few) but because it threw a different scenario into the mix.
    A scenario that gave others a chance to win and really blew open the motor race.

And it wasn’t just people at the race who were cheering, I have to say I literally leaped out of my seat..

• Rybo (@rybo) said on 3rd July 2013, 1:44

Even my girlfriend who knows next to nothing about F1 got more interested in the race once Vettel retired.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 3rd July 2013, 7:01

@rybo I guess that is why your girlfriend knows nothing about F1..

• Rybo (@rybo) said on 3rd July 2013, 7:17

Ironically she is the type of person this is version of F1 was is catering to. The people that are watching by “accident” who aren’t fans. This was the first race I got her to watch from lights to flag. With little knowledge and no allegiances, she could see that once Hamilton had a blowout Rosberg wasn’t able to match Vettel. F1 isn’t just for Motorsport fans anymore it’s for everybody to enjoy.

It’s easy to say that F1 is a technical sport and its hard to get into, but it’s very simple at the end of the day. Who can complete the Grand Prix distance in the shortest amount of time. There are a lot of subtleties at the end of it that makes Driver A better than Driver B, and Car A better than Car B, but people just want to see a spectacle. And the best part about spectacles is that they are equally impressive if you don’t understand them.

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 3rd July 2013, 8:05

Ironically she is the type of person this is version of F1 was is catering to

Absolutely right. Unfortunately, Bernie’s business model depends on racing’s ability to grab the attention of the millions – billions of casual viewers around the planet in order to succeed. And to do this, it has been found necessary to “improve the show”.
            It *is* possible to have a good football match that ends in a 0 – 0 score, but too many scoreless games and the casual viewer will watch something else. So it is with F1. Too many races with no or limited overtaking, no retirements, no crashes or other moments of drama and the tv audience will dwindle. And then where will CVC be?
            Personally, I prefer low-razamataz racing with sponsorless cars made and maintained by garagistas. But people tell me Bernie’s way is progress.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 3rd July 2013, 9:04

You mean modern F1 is Nintendo Wii?

• David-A (@david-a) said on 3rd July 2013, 2:28

I agree with most of your post- I see little problem with cheering a driver retiring. You’re right, the crowd most likely didn’t do it out of hatred, more out of a desire for a different winner from someone who has been immense over the last 4 years. And though I’m sure they’d rather have seen a better outcome than an anti-climactic mechanical failure, it’s only natural to cheer if that happens to someone you don’t want to win. The only concern I have with your post, and the crowd is:

This clearly did not happen in Canada. I would hope that the British crowd would have been better than them.

• Makana (@makana) said on 3rd July 2013, 2:55

@david-a you indeed put the finger on the wound; cheering the loss of one driver might as well be for the gain of another, but booing… booing a victory is when a fan turns into a bitter small minded bully. We are not sure what the British fans would have done if Vettel had won; would they have behaved like the Canadians? Let’s hope not. One thing is for sure, the media in the UK isn’t helping: it’s not only taking sides (which is fine) but effectively tarnishing the image of Seb; hypocritically and on purpose.

• Dane. (@dane-1) said on 3rd July 2013, 4:10

I dont think there is anything wrong with cheering when a driver retires. I cheered loudly when Hamilton had to limp back to the pits. Off topic: Happy Birthday to Seb today

• Sankalp Sharma (@sankalp88) said on 3rd July 2013, 4:33

@makana

I mostly agree with the first part of your comment. But I think you are being a little harsh when you say that:

“the media in the UK isn’t helping: it’s not only taking sides (which is fine) but effectively tarnishing the image of Seb; hypocritically and on purpose.”

First, as a non-Brit I would agree that they do tend to spruce up the reputation of their drivers a bit too much. Other countries’ media do that too , but not to this extent. Two of them (guess which ones??) are decidedly mediocre in my book. Example read James Allen’s blog today. The pro-British bias is there. Allen loudly proclaims HAM lost out because of the tyre failure. (Which is true, but VET was quite comfortably keeping him honest. And I’m certain VET would have given him a very handy challenge, had no misfortune occurred to both of them. We were robbed of that battle unfortunately. Either way it clearly wouldn’t have been a cakewalk for HAM). The anti-Ferrarism is also there to be noticed. As a Ferrari fan, this is slightly disheartening.

But the conclusion that they hate VET or Schumi or any other non-Brit who doesn’t drive for a British team in general, is wrong. Alonso is revered and VET is certainly respected by most, even though they think HAM is better than both. ( I disagree with that as VET/ALO are clearly a cut above). Many people (non-brits) agree with me. (I was talking to some Italian guys in Milan last year. All of them want VET to drive for the Scuderia whenever the Spaniard is done). There is an almost unanimous majority that VET is Alonso’s successor for the title of the best driver on the grid. Only time will tell.

The broader point is that the media in the UK is very passionate (perhaps a good thing?). But over all I don’t think there is deliberate negative intent. It’s just good old jealously when the “other guys win”. There are rivalries in football. (Germany vs England, Italy vs England, Germany vs Italy etc.) This is exactly the same, just the setting is different.

• Martin Fuhs (@chapor) said on 3rd July 2013, 7:43

Oh, I remember last year in Monza. Vettel grinding to a halt in front of our grandstands… The tiffosi had a field day! Me too… I cannot stand that little man. And the crowd also booed Lewis Hamilton on the podium. That is why he left right after his interview… But that was all right was it? Nothing ever got said about that…

Vettel has not made many sportsmanlike moves as of late, so he should not expect sportsmanlike behavior from F1 fans. As the, admittedly juvenile, happy dance I made following his retirement from Silverstone can attest…

• Chris H (@wolfie9985) said on 3rd July 2013, 6:45

The previous 2 years when I was there, we cheered when he was on the podium and when he came on stage at the after-race party. So I would think he would get applause again for being on the podium.

• DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 3rd July 2013, 9:52

I would hope that the British crowd would have been better than them.

Although I’m a Brit myself, I love people who assume that the British fans are the most polite and well mannered sporting fans in the world and then take cheap jabs at Italian and Spainish fans when they boo. All this ‘oh I expect better from the British’ is a load of nonsense, Vettel would’ve endured a chours of boos had he won Silverstone because most of the crowed don’t like him. Simple as that. I understand not every British fan was cheering Vettel’s DNF just like not every Canadian fan was booing Vettel on the podium but let’s not pretend that all British fans are upstanding people and all Canadians/Spanish/Italians are all nasty pieces of work. Even last year at Silverstone a number of people were cheering when Alonso binned it into the wall during qualifying. Fortunatly he shut them all up when he took pole :-)

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 3rd July 2013, 5:06

Right-on, this is show-biz isn’t it?

• jason101 said on 3rd July 2013, 5:32

I’ve not heard mention of the booing when he is on the Podium.

Like Melbourne and Canada for example.

I was really surprised to hear it and although I’m not a Vettel fan I don’t feels its in the spirit of things. But that may just be me.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 3rd July 2013, 10:54

I also wouldn’t take the cheering upon Vettel’s retirement too seriously. The spectators were probably cheering because it favored Hamilton, not because they don’t like Vettel.

I have absolutely nothing against Seb but I was still celebrating when his gearbox failed, since I support Räikkönen and Vettel is the biggest barrier between Kimi and the championship and also because the retirement helped Räikkönen in that particular race (well, in the end it didn’t but that’s a different story). I was really cheering at Räikkönen’s fortune, not at Vettel’s bad luck.

I’m not usually wishing for other drivers to retire and I’d rather see Kimi beating everyone on the track than gaining from the misfortunes of others, but it’s very hard to cover my joy either when the retirement ends up helping a driver that I support.

The booing in Canada was a lot more inappropriate in my opinion. It was only malevolent and Vettel did nothing to deserve that.

• woogle said on 3rd July 2013, 11:40

well said

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 3rd July 2013, 14:12

As far as I’m concerned the fans have the right to do anything (within the law & the terms of the ticket) they want once they’ve paid the extortionate price of a GP ticket. You can’t racially abuse, threaten or physically attack someone but you have every right to cheer, boo, sing, chant or anything else you want.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd July 2013, 14:35

Is cheering for a driver’s retirement disrespectful? Probably. But is it unjustified? Personally, I don’t think so.

Vettel might be a three-time World Champion, and that in itself is laudable, but just look to everything going on behind the scenes at Red Bull. They’ve got Helmut Marko repeatedly vilifying Vettel’s team-mate in a very public manner, and no-one – not Christian Horner, not Adrian Newey, not even Sebastian Vettel himself – has done a thing to stop it, or even lend support to Mark Webber. And that’s just one example. We all saw the way Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari were cruelly and ruthlessly dumped from the sister team. We all remember the way Marko abused Alguersuari for momentarily blocking Vettel in free practice. We all saw the way Mark Webber was accused by the team of causing the collision with Vettel in Turkey back in 2010.

Red Bull have a long-running and well-documented history of making decisions that support Vettel, treading on the toes of plenty of others along the way. It’s hard to respect a driver who finds success that way.

• sonia luff (@sonia54) said on 3rd July 2013, 15:45

I cheered when Hammys tyre went and Vettels gearbox. Obviously i wanted neither to win

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 3rd July 2013, 18:03

Vettel has far more DNF’s from mechanical causes than any other driver on a top team. Far more than Hamilton, or Alonso. Far more than Webber in the other RB.

Now, arguably this has the effect of making the season more entertaining. The one year his car did not break down a lot, in 2011, he won going away. But the fact remains that SV suffering bad luck actually does happen “that often”.

People seem to have a very skewed perception of “luck” where Vettel is concerned. If Alonso is hit on lap one of the Hungarian GP and left dead last in a damaged car to try to fight his way up through the field, I’m fairly confident that not many people are going to remark on his uncanny good fortune. If a meteorite fell from the sky and struck Vettel, breaking his arm, loads of fans would still be cursing his good luck, because “that could easily have broken his leg as well!”

• Travis (@mcmerctn) said on 3rd July 2013, 19:12

I wasn’t cheering, I was in disbelief really when Seb retired. But sports, especially professional sports, are driven on passion, and if that’s how people feel, then that’s how it goes. It’s disrespectful, for sure, but it doesn’t bother me any. If anything, the worst thing is if people neither cheer nor boo, in which case they really don’t care about you. And adding to @jonsan and his comment, I agree Vettel’s far from the luckiest. If anyone’s gotta be the luckiest, I’d have to say it’s Alonso. Look how many times he profited last year from misfortune from Seb and Lewis especially.

• Ian (@valkyrassassin) said on 3rd July 2013, 22:22

“I wasn’t cheering, I was in disbelief really when Seb retired.”

I was there, same for me too. I couldn’t believe it! I was at Copse and can’t say I really noticed any cheering, partially because the F1 cars whizzing past were so loud(!) and also due to being shocked that another major upset had happened.

6. Theoddkiwi (@theoddkiwi) said on 3rd July 2013, 3:13

I agree there was nothing unusual with the cheers following Vettels retirement. When someone spins and crashes, every one cheers. Its one of the reasons people go to watch motorsport. People want to see man and machine on the limit and occasionally go over the limit. If Crashes and failures did not happen then clearly the limit is not being pushed.

Though specifically regarding Vettel, (admit not a fan) its winner fatigue. Audiences don’t like runway wins, we want to see races and championships that go down to the wire. I remember the dominance of Schumacher and Ferrari (which Vettel does not have except 2011) and watching every race for years with the hope something would go wrong for him and i would unashamedly cheer when it did. Then finally Alonso came along and we had that relief of change and challenge up the front end.

The last few years have seen close racing with four or five very competitive drivers, just the cards keep falling Vettel’s way, and frankly its frustrating to watch at times even if its not Vettel’s fault. I just hope the second half of the year brings the fight to much closer quarters.

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 3rd July 2013, 17:14

the cards keep falling Vettel’s way

They really don’t. I suggest you read

Vettel is one of the unluckier drivers on the grid.

• Theoddkiwi (@theoddkiwi) said on 4th July 2013, 7:29

The problem is that looks only at loosing the lead. Lucky cards are not just about black and white loosing the lead in a race, its how the whole years events combine to conspire against or for a driver.
        That doesn’t look at examples like when Alonso was taken out by Grojean at Spa, then Vettel survives a fist lap collision in Brazil but still get just enough points to take the championship ( Though Torro Rosso and Schumacher sure made it easier). Neither where leading but both some of the incidents that were critical to the outcome of the championship. While Both Vettel (Singapore) And Alonso (Valencia) inherited wins during the same year.

7. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 3rd July 2013, 3:24

So using Boullier’s logic, after the other teams do their test everything will be back to normal? (only Red Bull vs Ferrari), I don’t think so.
    Sure Mercedes’ test helped them with their issues but it only accelerated the inevitable, which fine by me because now we have three teams fighting for the championship.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 3rd July 2013, 5:19

It’s very simplistic to claim Merc are only winning because of the “secret test”. Any reasonable fan would know that the car was very quick right from the start, its only problem was overheating the tyres, a problem that has been diminished but not entirely cured, with the wealth of experience and resources available to MB it would be farcical to suggest that this far into the season they would not be able to improve this single issue with their car. M.Boullier should also be reminded that this is not MBs 1st.win this year.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 3rd July 2013, 11:21

@hohum

Overheating the tyres isn’t a small problem. Any reasonable fan would notice that those teams that are fast in qualifying (Mercedes, Red Bull) have had problems with tyre duration, while the ones who are managing their tyres well (Ferrari, Lotus) have struggled in qualifying. While Mercedes and Red Bull get enough heat on their tyres in qualifying, it results in overheating during the race. So maintaining superior qualifying pace while getting rid of overheating is a major step forward, not a small one as you seem to imply.

M.Boullier should also be reminded that this is not MBs 1st.win this year.

Keith has highlighted three sentences from the interview and in those three sentences Boullier mentions twice that this was Mercedes’ second win, so it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t need to be reminded about that.

8. andae23 (@andae23) said on 3rd July 2013, 4:59

That article in The Sun is probably the most disgusting piece of rubbish I’ve read about this topic.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 3rd July 2013, 5:29

I’m pretty sure there was a large dose of sarcasm in that article and it was directed straight at the ringmaster and owner of the circus.
      If it was not sarcastic, I suggest reading it that way.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 3rd July 2013, 5:37

It must be sarcastic, but it’s not very clear to be honest.

• MJ4 said on 3rd July 2013, 13:47

… exploding tyres are definitely the way forward for F1. They could even explore the possibility of a hidden stinger slung across the track every now and then just to keep everyone on their toes. [...] make the race winner race skid across the finishing line before jumping out of a moving car, leaping over the barriers and legging it towards the nearest woods before being taken down by a snarling Alsatian and tasered to the ground by the Old Bill?

So this being sarcastic is not very clear?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd July 2013, 7:55

@hohum I don’t see any reason to assume it’s not intended to be taken at face value.

• Girts (@girts) said on 3rd July 2013, 8:37

Well, it’s a tabloid so I guess one shouldn’t be too surprised about exaggerations, provocations and simple nonsense, such as the claims that “the vast majority of people only watch Formula One for the crashes” or “most races are turgid processions led from start to finish by Sebastian Vetel”. But I agree that the author has gone too far this time.

It is true that crashes and technical failures belong to motorsport, they are inevitable and yes, they add excitement to the “show”. I believe that it’s OK to accept it as a part of the game. If everything always went according to plan, life would be terribly boring. But saying that ‘exploding tyres are definitely the way forward for F1′ and suggesting that the level of danger that drivers face should be artifically increased is just ridiculous and I’m sure that also the ex-drivers, who participated in F1 when it was much more dangerous than it is today would either laugh about the idea or tell the author to go take care of himself.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 3rd July 2013, 8:54

@andae23 I can’t take that article for sarcasm because it isn’t, in my opinion. 15 yearolds , ford fiesta….crashes exciting? …I think they should put that guy in the two seater Mclaren and drive his B@^^( off ,,what a dose of rubbish . Even the daily mail is hugely better than this . A bit happy you put this in here Keith , I din’t even know such things existed .

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 3rd July 2013, 12:39

I certainly voiced my opinions at the bottom.

Very upset that someone is getting paid to spout such rubbish when i’d give a lot to be in his position.

9. Sergio Perez (@sergio-perez) said on 3rd July 2013, 5:24

Seeing that Prost vs Senna reminded me of what i loved about F1. Great racing, two excellent battling it out in a game of 200mph chess until someone made a mistake. This time it was Senna, my favourite of all time, but excellent racing. Loved it.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 3rd July 2013, 5:30

Prost must have managed his tyres better.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 3rd July 2013, 11:46

@sergio-perez Must be my imagination, but does Prost lean less into the corners than Senna?

• Sergio Perez (@sergio-perez) said on 3rd July 2013, 11:58

Diferent driving styles, Prost looks smoother than Senna. But Senna was managing, it was during the backmarkers situation that “the professor”‘s patience and cunningness came to play. Senna lost concentration, “flow” and momentum due to Piquet’s car first, then while trying to overtake the next car was completely surprised by Prost. after that, Prost dispatched with a bit of luck the next backmarker which Senna couldn’t, gaining a bit of a gap that he managed well into the end of the race. While I’m a Senna fan, this Prost victory more proves the greatness of Senna’s victories. Two of the best of all time there. And a race without DRS and other mumbo jumbos.

• DeadBull said on 4th July 2013, 0:32

Always a pleasure to see the Professor on top of Senna. Yep, I’m a longtime F1 fan and was part of the ABS crowd (Anybody But Senna). Younger people wouldn’t believe the way that guy was loathed back then.

And btw Prost was consistently better on the dry, however he was never good enough in the rain. Had he been, there would have been no contest.

10. dee danga said on 3rd July 2013, 6:28

I am half way I across the world, but I did jump and run around like a headless chicken because I support team LW. Its about my team period why should I celebrate if my opposition win?

• Girts (@girts) said on 3rd July 2013, 8:05

I personally think that there is nothing wrong about feeling joy when a driver, who is an opponent of your favourite driver, retires, particularly if that means a more exciting battle for the championship. I am pretty sure that many Vettel fans felt the same way when Alonso retired on the first lap of the Japanese GP last year. Talking about the drivers themselves, this is what Graham Hill said about his opponent Jim Clark in 1962 (an excerpt from the interview that Autosport published last week):

I am human; I have nasty thoughts just like anybody else. At Watkins Glen I was hoping that Jimmy’s car was going to break. I would rather beat him fair and square, but as I couldn’t I was hoping his car would break; that’s being very honest with you.

However, I believe that one shouldn’t display those feelings the way that some fans at Silverstone did. Vettel clearly heard those boos and that must have been an unpleasant feeling. I think we are basically talking about lack of good manners and basic respect here.

I don’t agree with many of the statements in the MotorSport article. Successful drivers have always polarised fans and I don’t believe that Webber fans or Hamilton fans would love Vettel more if he had obeyed team orders at Sepang. I also don’t agree that Vettel will now hate British F1 fans because he is definitely too mature to not understand that the booers didn’t represent the whole British F1 fans’ community.

11. Wonderduck (@wonderduck) said on 3rd July 2013, 7:31

So when Red Bull won everything in sight the past few years, they must have been cheating as well, huh? Or is Mr Boulier just whining because his team only has one win? Guess we should expect to see a huge jump out of Lotus after the “Young Drivers” Test, huh?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd July 2013, 7:55

@wonderduck His point obviously being that they hadn’t won a race this year before the test. Not that if someone is winning they are therefore cheating.

• Poor form from Boullier though, not that i expect anything different from team principles these days, bad arguments, low blows, and outright ******** is the theme in F1 when it comes to trying manipulate public opinion. But giiven everyone and their dog expected Merc to be strong at Monaco long before the test, and in Silverstone Rosberg won because Vettel retired, and the SC periods definatly helped tyre management. Ok, Hamiton was leading, but for what, 7 laps? with a 2 second lead? Hardly definitive proof they’ve fixed anything yet.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 3rd July 2013, 13:48

Surely his point is to deflect attention away from his teams decision not to pit Kimi which ultimately cost him several places, a spot on the podium and a load of points ?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd July 2013, 16:12

@beneboy I don’t believe he is trying to deflect attention from that given he referred to what happened directly in a press release issued by his own team yesterday. I suspect he was asked a question about Mercedes and answered it.

12. sandy (@sandy) said on 3rd July 2013, 7:54

Makes you wonder what is going through Mateschitz’s mind when he sees the poster boy of Red Bull being soundly booed in front of a global audience?

13. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd July 2013, 8:00

That’s a gross misrepresentation from Eric Boullier.

For one, the Monaco circuit had none of the characteristics of circuits where Mercedes had struggled – namely long, load-bearing corners – and is filled with the kind of short, sharp sections where Mercedes had been strong all year.

Secondly, Vettel was keeping pace with Hamilton until Hamilton’s tyre blow-out, and he was pulling away from Rosberg until his own gearbox failure. Mercedes were in no way assured if a race win, and with another lap or two, Webber would have caught Rosberg.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 3rd July 2013, 9:26

Maybe he’s worried because Merc is clearly ahead of Lotus that seems to be loosing the development race.

• +1, ive just wasted 5 minutes replying to Keith above with the same thoughts!

• zimkazimka (@zimkazimka) said on 3rd July 2013, 12:16

Not to mention everyone actually expected Merc to be very strong going to Monaco, even BEFORE this whole secret test thing came to light.

• Linda1 said on 3rd July 2013, 17:29

The fact still remains however that since there illegal test Mercedes have never at any stage shown any signs of the tyre wear problems they had suffered from in every race before the test.

• Theoddkiwi (@theoddkiwi) said on 4th July 2013, 7:37

Except for when Hamilton lost second place to Alonso as his tyres were wearing out.
        Hamilton had not finished lower than 5th before the Private test including two third places while beating Redbull also. So The Mercedes are not as terrible as some seem to be making out. One terrible race at Barcelona is really all they have had.
        Should also be noted that Ferrai and Lotus seem to have gone backwards.
        In balance Merc have gained a little bit but others have gone back a little.

14. Great COTD, Pirelli what a liar!

15. gilles (@gilles) said on 3rd July 2013, 8:27

As a hardcore Vettel supporter I can’t see anything wrong with crowd cheering after he retired. I myself had a silent fist clutching “yessssss” moment when Lewis’ tyre blew (would have tore the room up out of joy if Alonso retired) Although that is not the way I want my favorite driver to win but I’d take those gifts any time.
    What’s actually very impressive that Seb had the guts to face the British crowd after the race, crack a joke or two, play the drums and even ask for more “boos” ’cause his drum playing skills were really rubbish. And the crowd reacted i a normal way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPnF89Kb3jY
    Booing after the victory in Canada was hideous though but it didn’t get into Seb’s head obviously