Horner wary of threat from Mercedes

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Silverstone, 2013In the round-up: Red Bull team principal is not underestimating the threat from Mercedes who have moved up to second in the championship.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Horner: Merc contenders now (Sky)

“They’re a good team, they’ve got a quick car, they’ve got good drivers. They’re for sure going to be a contender between now and the end of the year, as are Ferrari, as are Lotus.”

Q&A with Mercedes? Toto Wolff (F1)

“Silverstone just was [a good race for Mercedes], despite not being a typical English Sunday afternoon, and I am looking forward to a typical Eifel weekend in Germany. Beyond that Spa is our next best bet.”

Mercedes improvement linked to illegal test, say rivals (ESPN)

Eric Boullier: “Two wins out of the three races after they tested, so the conclusion is easy. It is just facts. Two races won out of the three.”

Domenicali says Ferrari not fooled by Formula One podium finish (AutoWeek)

“We need to understand in these two or three days at home why, because there is something, I would say, bigger than little details that caused us not to be as we normally are here in Silverstone, better in terms of pace, and better at qualifying, everything.”

FIA to send observers to F1 test (Autosport)

“These observers will check the running programmes of every team to ensure any car development work is only done by the ‘young’ drivers who will still be present at the test.”

Teams pulling together, for now (The Telegraph)

“It is expected that the latest Concorde Agreement, the commercial pact which binds the sport together, will be signed off this week after years of haggling. Do not bet on it. The spirit of cooperation seen yesterday is unlikely to last for long.”

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, Silverstone, 2013Esteban Gutierrez word of advice for future athletes (Esteban Gutierrez)

“You have to be open to face each and every challenge you find, from making contacts, closing agreements that will help fund your career, keep close to your surroundings, including family, get your gear, make good races, have a good relationship with your rivals, know how to lose and win gracefully, control your emotions, keep your head cool.”

From the archive, 2 July 1903: The Gordon Bennett motor race in Ireland (The Guardian)

“By the terms under which the Gordon-Bennett Cup race is held every part of the competing cars has to be made in the country which they represent. Now the tyres they have had made in Germany for the Mercedes cars have hardly proved satisfactory. This occasionally happens with the best of makes, as cyclists know well.”

Vettel the villain (MotorSport)

“The cheers and jeers of the British crowd upon his retirement at Silverstone were wholly inappropriate.”

Lap it up! (The Sun)

It’s encouraging to see many responses to this article criticise its stance that the potentially dangerous tyre failures seen in Sunday’s race were good for Formula One. Particularly in the light of the recent deaths of Allen Simonsen and Andrea Mame in other racing categories.

Tweets

Comment of the day

@CapeFear takes issue with Paul Hembery’s statement yesterday:

“What happened at Silverstone was completely unexpected and it was the first time that anything like this has ever occurred in more than a century of Pirelli in motorsport,” said motorsport director Paul Hembery.

Oh really, Paul?

Nine Pirelli failures in a Ferrari race, all left-rear failures too. I went to that race and it was a joke of a race, I got my money back! I guess these sharp kerbs seem to come around when convenient.
@CapeFear

From the forum

Site updates

The Comments FAQ has been updated:

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Troma and Chris Preston!

On this day in F1

Alain Prost won his home race 25 years ago today after springing a brilliant pass on McLaren team mate Ayrton Senna in the Beausset double right-hander at Paul Ricard in the French Grand Prix.

Behind the fifth McLaren one-two in seven races Michele Alboreto finished a distant third for Ferrari, almost a minute behind.

Images ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Sauber

101 comments on Horner wary of threat from Mercedes

1. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 3rd July 2013, 8:38

Is the Concorde Agreement about to be signed?
    And, ahem, any word on who will be supplying tyres next year? The last I remeber reading was that Pirelli were said to be considering legal action if Michelin were invited to tender, but that before Silverstone.

2. Jason (@jason12) said on 3rd July 2013, 8:42

Horner must be excited about the new Merc threat, they’ve without true competition for ages now.

3. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 3rd July 2013, 10:03

With regards to cheering Vettel’s retirement, I don’t think Malaysia Multi-21 was the reason for it. More likely it was cited as a reason to rationalize and justify it for the fans doing the cheering.

I think Vettel’s retirement was cheered simply because he is the Opposition. Whether you are a Webber, Hamilton, Alonso, Rosberg, or Raikkonen fan, Vettel was always the one beating your favourite driver over and over again. Had I been in the grandstand, I wouldn’t have cheered, but I was glad to see him retire, and not win another Grand Prix. For any other driver, winning is a much rarer occurrence, and most people won’t mind seeing another driver win, even if that is not their favourite driver. Even Michael Schumacher, who used to fill the role of the guy you didn’t want to see win, was cheered on by most fans during his comeback, when he was no longer the guy winning all the time.

4. Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 3rd July 2013, 10:40

For me vettel comes across as a no frills person who just gets on with his job. He impressed at BMW and torro rosso to rightfully earn a top drive and has been integral to redbull making the step to become race winners and eventually winning the world championship. People just hate dominance its that simple all the other reasons are just B.S in my opinion

5. stefano (@alfa145) said on 3rd July 2013, 11:07

good COTD but how annoying is the music on that video? had to mute it

6. jhg103 (@joshgeake) said on 3rd July 2013, 11:35

Prost didn’t need DRS or KERS, they just had manual gearboxes and really, really hard tyres.

7. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 3rd July 2013, 12:00

I’ve seen a lot of people on here suggest that cheering Vettel’s retirement (or any other form of expression of disdain for one of the greatest drivers in the sport’s history..) is justified becasue apparently Vettel has been very unsporting. Could anyone please give me examples of things that he’s done which are unsporting? The only thing I can think of as being vaguely questionable is his ignoring the ‘multi 21′ order, but demonstrably when most drivers ignore team orders and seize the glory, they are applauded for it, so I can’t imagine it’s this that’s got people’s backs up.

All I see when I look at Vettel is a brilliant driver, who has loads of time for the media, gives extremely concise and insightful responses in interviews, is quick to praise his rivals and his team, and who lives a quiet, reclusive life away from the track. I can’t think of many drivers on the grid I’d rather spend time with; he comes across as one of the nicest guys out there. Driven for success, of course, and assured of his own ability. But he doesn’t have the arrogance of a Raikkonen or a Hamilton, in fact he’s often extremely humble. I simply can’t see anything about him that people would dislike. Being successful isn’t an excuse for disliking someone. Especially when that success if hard-fought and well deserved. I can’t imagine seeing anyone cheering if Usain Bolt tripped over halfway through the 200m sprint final. Since when did being good at something become such a negative quality?

• Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 3rd July 2013, 12:37

• Martin Fuhs (@chapor) said on 3rd July 2013, 13:03

Vettel is humble…? And in his interviews he is not concise. He brabbles on for about 5min without saying much. Yes, he has qualities that are admirable as you quite rightly pointed out. BUT, the way he first apologized for the Multi-21 saga and then at the next race turned around and said he would do it again because he didn’t feel that Webber deserved the win, are not exactly qualities that can be admired. And neither do his over exuberant celebrations when he wins, coupled with his bottom lip dragging on the ground when he doesn’t, inspire anything in me that would cause me to admire him as a good sportsman.

As much as his personality should appeal to everyone, I think that is all just a fake persona created for exactly that purpose. But the spoilt brat syndrome seems to come through more and more.

A quote that he should learn the meaning of is “Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat”.

• gilles (@gilles) said on 3rd July 2013, 13:23

@chapor If you have some kind of prejudice and don’t listen to what’s he saying then it might sound like brabbeling. While actually he gives great insight to the race (he talks alot though, on this one I agree).
        About bottom lip draggin, should he be happy when something goes wrong or he loses? Keeping in mind that recently all his losses were not by his own doing and that’s even more frustrating but he copes with it very well.
        P.S. About the index finger celebration. In 2006 the same index finger that people “like” so much was almost severed in a high speed crash through eau rouge. Doctors stiched it back and Seb was back in a car next week. I think that contributed to this specific type of celebration.

• Martin Fuhs (@chapor) said on 3rd July 2013, 14:20

@gilles, yes, I am prejudiced. I do not like Vettel. I have a right not to like Vettel. I personally do not agree with the way he conducts himself as a whole. When he won his first WDC in 2010, I was pretty impressed. I even gave Webber the fault for the incident in Turkey… Shows you that I am also just human and make mistakes. But I guess that novelty wore off the more I had to listen to his antics, be it in celebration or otherwise. His interviews are to long winded before he actually gets to a point, that is what I meant.

I am also not saying that he should smile when things go wrong, but for crying out loud, be mature about it… The way he sometimes throws a tantrum is embarrassing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKktIuJgKQ
          That reminds me of something my 4 year old niece would do… I cannot respect a “man” that is that childish.

Cool fact about the finger though. :-) Didn’t know that.

• Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 3rd July 2013, 19:41

all that video clip shows is emotion, I’ve seen countless times drivers throwing out the steering wheel or bashing it in anger when things go wrong.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 4th July 2013, 1:19

@anele-mbethe @chapor

Anele +1
            Martin Fuhs, how about this and this, one of which was even from the same race you cited?

• Martin Fuhs (@chapor) said on 4th July 2013, 16:13

@anele-mbethe @david-a

Yes, you are correct, yet for me there is a fine line between them and the childish “stomping feet” attitude. That is however an opinion that others might not share with me.

Peace out.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 4th July 2013, 21:13

@chapor – Well, it’s clear that others shouldn’t share that opinion, because there is nothing that justifies there being a line between what you pointed out, and what I pointed out.

• Martin Fuhs (@chapor) said on 5th July 2013, 7:35

@david-a Really? The one is a mature show of frustration, the other is a childish tantrum. I don’t care if you don’t think that is a justifiable difference, All you see is the action, I see a bit more than that.

So once again, I have my opinion, you have yours, let’s leave it at that, have a nice day.

Peace out.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 5th July 2013, 12:57

@chapor – So a “mature show of frustration” is to almost flap your arms at marshall after spinning off, or throw away the steering wheel after crashing, while a “childish tantrum” is to throw gloves after a mechanical failure? That’s just an irrational, petty attempt to have a go at a driver you dislike.

So fine, keep to your nonsense.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 3rd July 2013, 13:24

I don’t really understand what point you’re trying to make here. You accuse him of being false on the one hand, and yet in the same post you suggest that if he’s upset about being beaten, he should hide it behind a smile. I want to see drivers get upset about being beaten; I want to see real human emotion in the heat of competition. I don’t want to see drivers who have just had a shocker of a race get wheeled in front of the press with a plastic smile on their face, saying about how the team did a good job and blah blah blah.

His celebrations are exuberant? To my recollection almost every race he’s won, the first thing he does is come on the radio and say “we did it!” – sharing the moment of celebration with the team. He’s also well known for spending more time at the factory than almost any other driver on the grid.

I ask again – show me an example of him being unsporting. When has he ever rammed a driver off the road in moment of anger, or blocked someone’s pitbox so they couldn’t get a lap in? There are plenty of drivers on the grid who have been unsporting, but of them all I think he’s one of the cleanest. Races fairer than most as well – clean overtakes for the most part, and proper respect given to his fellow racers. He’s just devastatingly fast behind the wheel.

• stefano (@alfa145) said on 3rd July 2013, 19:15

I usually don’t get involved into these Vettel support/hate battles, but this time I feel like I am.
          The fact is quite simple, and goes beyond rational judgement: people get to “hate” Vettel for a very simple reason, people don’t like people that win EASILY. That’s easy to understand: the most loved drivers (and sportsman) of history are the ones that had to fight for a long period with one very strong opponent, almost as strong as them. Most loved driver is Ayrton, who won – in %- closely as much as Vettel (if not even more). But having “his” Alain Prost on the other side made the magic trick and he became legend even before Imola.
          Think about this: until the end of 2010 Vet was not disliked by many, in fact he had had his victories here and there and managed to get his WDC by surprise, when it was for everyone just a Web-Alo affair.
          So no big deal.
          But in 2011 things changed: there was such a dominance, of the man and the car, that even thinking of who could take that WDC from him is quite impossible. There was nobody other than him. That made it: people hated the fact that this guy could win so “easily” at their eyes, because there was no clear opposition at all.
          We all want fighting, epic battles and we don’t like the one that can make it easily. If you want, this can be also translated into life: who really likes people with all the fortunes, that can obtain whatever they want without apparent sacrifice? Few do, because life is tough, and we want to praise people that make it out of thoughness.
          Ok now let’s get back to Vettel: nobody says he got and gets his wins easily, at least I don’t, because having driven a little formula renault twice in my life, that made me just imagine how big of a deal winning a f1 gp is. No need to say a WDC. Or 3.
          But as much as MSC had his haters out of the Ferrari fandom, because of his dominance, wich started to get people annoyed after Hakkinen retired (you don’t say), so does happen for Vettel; only difference is the latter only had one year of complete superiority -2011-, but also 2012 brings some points to the “haters”. If we want to exclude Raikkonen from the 2012 WDC run and say that there was only an Alo-Vet battle, even here people will largely stay on the Alo side, because last year Alonso always had to fight back from poor qualy performance, while Vet was there at the front, from the beginning to the end of every race, even if not winning, but constantly there. And between the 2, as it is natural, we like to praise the driver that has to fight so hard to get to the same result.
          It’s human.

Those are the reasons you and others are looking for
          (ps: I’m not at all a Vettel hater, just love the sport too much to hate something part of it).
          cheers

• stefano (@alfa145) said on 3rd July 2013, 19:20

*yeah I know what happened in Abu Dhabi and Brazil, of course. That was awesome to watch. But still, those are exceptions, and people don’t base their judgement on exceptions.
            ok now I stop, bye!

• Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 4th July 2013, 11:03

@alfa145 that’s a brilliant point. But his first title was won with 3 world champions on the grid and the last 5 I think. So its the other teams and drivers who need to step up their game to beat him.

8. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 3rd July 2013, 12:23

I just wonder if somewhere along the lines, thanks to the depressing overabundance of lowest common denominator reality TV shows, where audiences are encouraged to judge everyone in front of them based on the most vacuous criteria, that we’ve forgotten that the people we’re seeing are actual human beings.

Once upon a time, Vettel and Hamilton were just little kids, who dreamed about being racing drivers. They worked so hard, desperately fighting off all their rivals to earn their opportunities to achieve their goals in life. They would have watched F1 races on the TV, watched their heroes driving, idolised them. They would have seen the champagne flowing, heard the crowds roaring in appreciation for the greats, like Senna, Prost, and so on, then closed their eyes and pictured themselves standing there on that podium.

And yet despite this, despite them being human beings with complex personalities and emotions, just like every single one of us, when they achieve that goal they’ve worked all their life to achieve, they end up being the object of scorn. Not because they did anything wrong; quite the opposite. Because they were really good. Because people have this weird sort of sense that F1 drivers suddenly pop into existence the first time they drive and F1 car, and don’t have ordinary lives as ordinary people when they’re not spending two hours every other week racing against each other. It’s the same thing with reality TV – it’s all about the performance, and the audience laughs, jeers, ridicules and bullies, because it forgets the fact that the pink fleshy object standing on the stage is an actual person just like them, who has probably spent weeks nervously building themselves up to this point. Only to be laughed at because they’re old, or they’re fat.

If we stopped for a moment and considered exactly what that might feel like; to spend most of your life building up to one goal, and when you’re on the cusp of achieving that thing you’ve spend your whole life chasing, for thousands of people to gleefully express delight and satisfaction at your failure – or to ruin your moment of achievement when you finally succeed, by vocally booing you like a pantomime villain – I can’t see how anyone with any shred of human decency could be comfortable with that kind of behaviour.

What kid right now, sat watching F1 on the TV and dreaming of being an F1 driver, factors into their dream the possibility that if that dream might one day come true, there’s a genuine chance that people will hate them. Hate them and feel entitled to try and make them feel awful about their success. How many would ever way to get into sport in the first place if they realised that fulfilling their dreams might, even in the absence of any definable fault on their part, incur the collective hatred of thousands of people?

Maybe I’m alone in feeling like this, and maybe for many people it’s all just part of the show. I just can’t reconcile it myself. I can’t fool myself into thinking that the drivers are just pantomime characters, and that hearing that kind of reaction doesn’t hurt them. I can’t help but imagine myself in that situation and feel a little bit of basic human empathy. And it makes me feel very sad to hear it. It reflects extremely badly on all those that do it, and especially so when people then try to justify it later – of course it’s one thing to be caught up in the excitement of the moment, but quite another to then later try to justify it as if the driver has somehow brought this reaction upon themselves.

Sorry, this has been a long and rambling post, probably full of grammar and spelling errors.