A statement released by the sport’s governing body said: “During the German Grand Prix, an FOM cameraman in pit lane was struck by a loose wheel. Paul Allen was hit on the left hand side.
“Remaining conscious, he was treated at the circuit medical centre and then transported by helicopter to Koblenz Hospital.
“The Briton has been kept there, under observation. Further information from the hospital will be provided as soon as it becomes available.”
Allen was hit by a wheel which came off Mark Webber’s Red Bull when he made his first pit stop during the race. The team are under investigation for releasing Webber’s car unsafely from the pit box.
2013 German Grand Prix
- Third Driver of the Weekend win for Vettel
- Down-to-the-wire German GP gets positive rating
- 2013 German Grand Prix team radio transcript
- 2013 German Grand Prix fans’ video gallery
- FIA to bring forward 2014 pit lane safety rules
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty