2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed
A Mercedes Formula One car raced by Juan Manuel Fangio has sold for a record price of ?é?ú19.6 ($29.6m) at auction at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
The Mercedes W196, chassis number 00006/54, was raced by Fangio to victory in the 1954 German and Swiss Grands Prix. Fangio went on to win the world championship for the second time that year.
This chassis was one of two produced at Fangio’s request without covered wheels so he could position the car more accurately on the track while driving.
The W196 the most valuable car ever sold at auction, exceeding the 2011 sale price of a Ferrari by ?é?ú9.6m. It is the highest price ever fetched by an F1 car or a Mercedes of any kind.
The car was presented at auction on an original Mercedes race car transporter.
Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Loeb aims to beat F1 record at Goodwood Festival
- Favourite cars and highlights from Goodwood
- McLaren celebrate 50 years at Goodwood Festival
- Stars and their cars at the Goodwood Festival
- 2013 Goodwood Festival Sunday picture gallery
Images ?é?® F1 Fanatic/Joris Meuffels