Rigon to do bulk of test for Ferrari alongside Massa

2013 F1 season

Davide Rigon, FerrariDavide Rigon will do two-and-a-half days of the Young Drivers’ Test for Ferrari which starts at Silverstone tomorrow.

Rigon, 26, has been part of Ferrari’s junior driver programme since 2011. He was champion of the Italian and European Formula 3000 championships in 2007.

However his progress was interrupted when he broke his leg in a crash during a GP2 race at Istanbul two years ago. He is jointly leading the Blancpain Endurance Series with Kessel Racing team mates Daniel Zampieri and Cesar Ramos, driving a Ferrari 458 Italia.

Felipe Massa will drive the car on Friday morning to test Pirelli’s new tyres. The team said he is “keen to get back on track after his rather short German Grand Prix”, which he retired from on lap four.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

25 comments on Rigon to do bulk of test for Ferrari alongside Massa

1. In the end teams prefer to test new parts than simply tyre testing. A measure actually working.

2. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 16th July 2013, 14:55

Rigon, 26, has been part of Ferrari’s junior driver programme since 2011.

I don’t think that’s right. Ferrari have got only four drivers in the Ferrari Driver Academy: Jules Bianchi, Raffaele Marciello, Antonio Fuoco and Lance Stroll. As far as I’m aware, Rigon is only a Ferrari-endorsed test driver, not unlike Oliver Turvey at McLaren.

• DominikWilde (@dominikwilde) said on 16th July 2013, 19:19

Correct. Davide Rigon isn’t, and never has been a member of Ferrari’s young driver program. Jules Bianchi, Raffaele Marciello, Antonio Fuoco and Lance Stroll are in the Ferrari Driver Academy, Rigon is one of Scuderia Ferrari’s plethora of test drivers.

3. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 16th July 2013, 14:57

I like Rigon. He drove for Olympiacos in Superleague Formula :P.

PS: Although it was Guerrieri who got my favourite team’s first victory. Last year he was at the Indy Lights, has anyone heard of him recently?

4. D (@f190) said on 16th July 2013, 15:48

Rigon will be a busy lad. I give it 3 laps before Massa stacks it.

5. Shreyas Mohanty (@) said on 16th July 2013, 17:22

Why isn’t Alonso testing? Am I missing something here?

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 16th July 2013, 22:14

not sure either… Maybe this is still politics and arrangements following that test gate? Or does he feel confident? What is sure is that his 2 direct competitors take part to the event.

6. Nixon (@nixon) said on 16th July 2013, 21:36

I think there are many other drivers that would be a better option.
    Can’t they chose bianchi?

• Nixon (@nixon) said on 16th July 2013, 21:39

*choose

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 17th July 2013, 7:51

@nixon There’s a question mark regarding that as I had raised here . Bianchi is contracted to Marussia, and I guess it overrides his Ferrari Driver Academy contract. I stress on ‘I guess’ because I’m not completely sure at this time.

• DominikWilde (@dominikwilde) said on 17th July 2013, 11:20

He’d be allowed to test for Ferrari, just like Ricciardo is allowed to test for Red Bull but they’re giving Rigon the chance because he does more of Ferrari’s simulator work than Bianchi does and he doesn’t have a race seat

7. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 17th July 2013, 9:49