Rigon, 26, has been part of Ferrari’s junior driver programme since 2011. He was champion of the Italian and European Formula 3000 championships in 2007.
However his progress was interrupted when he broke his leg in a crash during a GP2 race at Istanbul two years ago. He is jointly leading the Blancpain Endurance Series with Kessel Racing team mates Daniel Zampieri and Cesar Ramos, driving a Ferrari 458 Italia.
Felipe Massa will drive the car on Friday morning to test Pirelli’s new tyres. The team said he is “keen to get back on track after his rather short German Grand Prix”, which he retired from on lap four.
2013 F1 season
- Take F1 Fanatic’s new 2013 season quiz
- F1 Fanatic’s new year thanks and credits 2014
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2013 season review
- The drivers, teams and cars of 2013
- Schumacher’s condition “slightly improved” after second operation
Browse all 2013 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo