Magnussen leads Di Resta on day one of test

2013 F1 testing

Paul di Resta, Force India, Young Drivers' Test day one, Silverstone, 2013Kevin Magnussen led the times at the end of the first day of the Young Drivers Test at Silverstone.

The McLaren development driver logged 100 laps and set a best lap of 1’33.602 in the latter stages of the test.

With track temperatures well above 40C, Magnussen’s best time was two seconds shy of Jenson Button’s British Grand Prix qualifying time. Similar warm conditions are expected for the rest of the test.

The first day of running saw a dozen different drivers on track with Force India splitting their programme between James Calado and Paul di Resta while Tio Ellinas and Max Chilton did laps for Marussia.

Di Resta and Calado both featured in the top four, separated by Antonio Felix da Costa’s Red Bull. Daniel Juncadella was fifth fastest for Williams after comparing different front wing configurations/

Alexander Rossi’s test for Caterham came to an early end due to a hydraulic problem: “That unfortunately meant I didn?t have a chance to put in a really quick lap,” he said, “but we were still able to complete most of the day?s plan and that?s good, for the team and for me as it means we have both got pretty much everything we could from day one of the test.”

Driver Car Best time Laps Difference
12 Max Chilton Marussia-Cosworth MR02 1’38.347 27 4.745

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Force India

40 comments on Magnussen leads Di Resta on day one of test

1. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 17th July 2013, 17:14

So was anyone there today? Pretty busy, or fairly quiet?

I’m heading to Silverstone tomorrow and looking forward to a day basking in the glorious July sunshine, watching the fastest cars in the world at the best race track in the world. It doesn’t get much better than that.

• James Muscat (@jamesremuscat) said on 17th July 2013, 19:05

There were a good few people there today (I’ve never been before so have no reference, but the circuit commentator said the numbers were “really good”). There was pretty much non-stop running for all eight hours of the test, so plenty to see.

• JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 17th July 2013, 19:10

I was there and I’d say it was fairly quiet. No struggle at all to find a seat in a covered stand (which was an absolute godsend on a day like today) although there were a fair few more people in the general admission areas.

Queues to get in and out of the car park were non-existant for me, although I did arrive before 9.

However, if you’re planning to do the pit walk, get there as early as you can! The queue for that was insanely long, I’m grateful I didn’t bother with it today.

• Webbo (@webbo82) said on 17th July 2013, 19:34

I was there and have been very dissappointed. If you’re looking for a chance to see F1 cars at their best, don’t bother going. Nowhere will you find in advance that a third of the track is closed, until you walk to each end of the cordens. You guessed it, Copse, Maggots/Becketts and Stowe all blocked-off. All you get for your money (add a third for buying on the day btw) is a short section of Abbey, then nothing until the end of Brooklands up to before the turn-in of Copse. What a let down.
      I tried to get a refund (had to walk another half a mile from the ticket stand) but was refused. Was told that it was only my opinion that those corners are the best places to watch, despite a driver and the track announcer saying just that only an hour before!
      Apparently there aren’t enough staff to coverr the track (though there were plenty to block it off and to man the Silverstone merchandise shops, of course).
      Unless I get a refund, it will be the last of my money they see, I’d rather go to any other circuit – and I’m told it can be cheaper to travel to Spa for race day!
      If you’d like to get a refund, or dispute their treatment of the fans – I have a contact name to write to, though after speaking to her today, I’ll be addressing her manager.

• GT_Racer said on 17th July 2013, 20:18

Always been that way for testing at Silverstone & its the same on most tracks.

Last time I went to a Silverstone test in 2008, We only had from Luffield to Copse & the section from Club-Abbey, Rest of the track was off-limits.

• David Reid (@unicron2002) said on 17th July 2013, 21:34

I’m going tomorrow so today I checked the Silverstone website which has comprehensive details on what to expect – ticket price, parking details, opening and closing times, FAQ and a big downloadable map showing where the admission areas are, which I’ll be taking with me. Shame you didn’t check this before you went but at least you know for next time.

• Webbo (@webbo82) said on 17th July 2013, 22:10

Thanks David. I did check on Tuesday, that whole ‘spectator info’ tab has been added since. None of the driver info was there either. Tickets have gone up since Tuesday online too, they were £15 per day or £35 for all three.
          The shame for me is there won’t be a next time.

• Ben Everard (@beneverard) said on 18th July 2013, 9:47

I asked Silverstone on Twitter and they said Copse to Abbey would be open, I asked if that followed the track so we could get to Village… they said yes.

This was not the case… extremely annoying too :-(

Twitter convo here –> https://twitter.com/SilverstoneUK/status/357051988023848960

2. Oli Peacock (@olliekart) said on 17th July 2013, 17:15

Any news on Chilton or was he just truly shown up here?

• Ben (@scuderia29) said on 17th July 2013, 17:24

yeah it seems unlikely he was really that much slower, he’s not even 1.7 seconds off Bianchi..but i certainly wouldnt be at all surprised if Elinas is actually quicker

3. NickF12013 (@nickf12013) said on 17th July 2013, 17:19

Ellinas 1.7 seconds faster than Chilton. In his first ever outing with an F1 car…

4. Tango (@tango) said on 17th July 2013, 17:30

Rather than doing a whole text on top times, shouldn’t we concentrate on number of laps done, new parts (if seen) and type of runs done ? (just saying this is not a report on a quali session)

5. mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 17th July 2013, 17:32

Frijns closer to di Resta than Hülkenberg was in Silverstone ^_^

6. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 17th July 2013, 17:50

I’m confused, did Magnussen do

100 laps

As it says in the description, or only 33 as it says later on…

Hope it’s the former, as I’m going tomorrow and want to see the cars doing as many laps as they can..

7. Monosodico (@monosodico) said on 17th July 2013, 18:41

finally McLaren tops something

8. robspan (@robspan) said on 17th July 2013, 18:44

Do the lap times actually tell us anything ?

Wouldn’t a fairer comparison be to pay the poorer teams to run ALL the young drivers ?
    e.g.
    - poorer teams get to try out 10-15 drivers
    - new drivers get to try out 2-3 cars

9. FastKing said on 17th July 2013, 18:49

What’s Max Chilton doing in F1?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th July 2013, 19:44

footing the bill for the team to be there?

• GT_Racer said on 17th July 2013, 20:12

In fairness to Max, You don’t know what program he was running when he was in the car.

This is why testing times are completely irrelevant, Nobody is pushing for lap time, There all just doing there own programs be it gathering tyre data, aero data or doing long runs on full tanks to get race stint data.

10. Macca Fan (@x-f1-x) said on 17th July 2013, 19:27

Does it cost anything to attend the YDT at Silverstone?

11. That was only expected! Way to go Kevin – especially when we know McLaren is not one of the fastest cars at the moment. Excellent display of control and power.

Come on Whitmarsh, it’s time to give Little Mag the seat in the Big Mac! ;-)

• sdff1 said on 17th July 2013, 20:03

Kevin Magnusen is now clearly one of the fastest drivers in the world. I think when he gets a race seat we’ll see Vettel making an early retirement. In fact I think most drivers will probably be too scared to challenge him and they’ll all duck out so F1 will simply become a time trial by the soon-to-be legendary Kev

• Only testing, but ahead of Di Resta and Da Costa in a McLaren!, he always tops the charts, shame he is’nt testing anymore.

12. Enigma (@enigma) said on 17th July 2013, 20:29

Nice to see some really talented youngsters there. Hopefully Magnussen, da Costa, Calado and Frijns get an F1 seat for 2014.

13. Rui (@ruicaridade) said on 18th July 2013, 0:35

Da Costa did that time on hard tires.

14. Gill (@gill) said on 18th July 2013, 9:37

Looks like Mclaren have again fitted te car with wrong component a they did in the pre season testing on the very first day..;)

15. HoHum (@hohum) said on 18th July 2013, 14:08

Who do you want to see get the boot @enigma

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 18th July 2013, 14:45

@hohum If it were up to me: Da Costa to go to Toro Rosso (simple if Ricciardo moves to Red Bull, or Vergne to Lotus (which has been rumoured I think)), Calado to replace Sutil. Frijns at Sauber (with both current drivers leaving – Hulk to Lotus, Gutierrez staying without a seat). As for Magnussen, I honestly don’t know where he’d fit in.