F1 tipped to return to Austria in 2014

2014 F1 calendar

Jarno Trulli, Renault, A1-Ring, 2003The 2014 F1 calendar will include a return to Austria according to a report in the Austrian newspaper Kurier.

It quotes a Red Bull statement claiming an agreement has been reached between Bernie Ecclestone and Dietrich Mateschitz to revive the event which last took place ten years ago. The race will take place on July 6th.

The race will be held at the Red Bull Ring, formerly the A1-Ring, which was last used for F1 races between 1997 and 2003. The A1-Ring is a truncated version of the Osterreichring which held the Austrian Grand Prix between 1970 and 1987.

The 4.3km, ten-turn circuit was reopened in 2011 after being purchased by Red Bull.

New races are also planned in Sochi, Russia and New Jersey, USA, which could potentially increase the number of races next year to 22.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Renault/LAT

111 comments on F1 tipped to return to Austria in 2014

1 2 3
  1. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:16

List of things I didn’t expect to happen. It’ll be good to have another European race, especially one in a fairly central area, even if the track is rather meh.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:17

Well someone in Europe has money ;)

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:22

@lin1876 It’s the first new European race since Valencia (which ran from 2008-2012). And to put things in context, the next newest European circuit on the calendar is the Circuit de Catalunya, which ran its first F1 race in 1991.

• photozen (@photozen) said on 23rd July 2013, 16:07

Especially since it was reported a year ago, in 2012, that Bernie denied being approached by Red Bull about this to replace Turkey. Granted this was for another season, but he mentioned the hotel disaster surrounding the track, etc. Guess they fixed the hotel problem, and not the first time Bernie has been known to lie.

• Kneyfield (@kneyfield) said on 23rd July 2013, 16:27

I’m from Austria and one of my grandparents was born right around the corner in Zeltweg (only about five kilometers from the track), so the area is quite familiar to me.

There are only four comparatively small municipalities close to the track worth mentioning with a population of 7 to 11k each. A few more of those lie in between the Red Bull Ring and the state capital Graz (about an hour away by car).

I can confidently say, that they haven’t fixed the hotel problem, because that would require major construction in the area and no such thing happened to my knowledge. I’m sure, that small establishments like bed-and-breakfasts will see an upsurge from this news, but it’s doubtful, if it will be able to cater to the required number of visitors.

There’s plenty of rooms available in Graz and its surroundings, but the distance from the track and the required travel makes that a bit inconvenient.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 23rd July 2013, 17:07

I’m really excited too – now I’ve plans for July next year. A race “around the corner” on a decent track :)

• I have to say that I love the track even if it’s only because of the beautiful surroundings. I’m more concerned is with how much more money can Red Bull inject in the championship, I’m starting to think they own all the interest.

2. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:19

It’s also on the Red Bull Ring Facebook page.

They gave a date of July 6, 2014, occupying the spot formerly taken by Valencia, as well as the spot they occupied as the A1-Ring from 1998-2000.

3. sozavele (@formula-1) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:20

I wouldn’t complain if a grand prix took place at the Red Bull Ring. I love to see F1 returning to countries and circuits as I think it really brings out the heritage of the sport. It is also an older circuit another positive for F1 in the present day, I personally think there are too many modern circuits now and I would love to see some of the older circuits return which I think have a better design. They have a better flow and more fast speed corners instead of sharp turns and 90 degree corners or a street circuit which may look good on paper or have success because of the area but then produce a mediocre grand prix. Overall I think that the return of an older circuit would be good for F1 as we would get to see a classic track return with a good layout which could produce a good race.

• luc said on 23rd July 2013, 12:46

True, but it’s probably gonna be modernised(no graveltraps and so on.)

• KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:01

It already is, just check the DTM races there.

• Kneyfield (@kneyfield) said on 23rd July 2013, 14:07

There are some modernizations all around the track, but the racing experience should remain exactly the same as it was in the late 1990′s and early 2000′s.

The reason for that? Mateschitz/Red Bull had begun to tear apart the A1 Ring when they bought it, but a heavily limited environmental notice didn’t make the reconstruction (which would have included the old parts of the Österreichring) financially viable. After that, Red Bull decided to re-build the track exactly as it was before.

• thatscienceguy said on 23rd July 2013, 14:08

More high speed corners? The Red Bull Ring is long straight, sharp corner, long straight, sharp corner, long straight, sharp corner, bit of a sweeper, bit of a sweeper, 90 degree turn, 90 degree turn.

Abu Dhabi has as many sweepers as Red Bull Ring. The 90 degree turns are relatively open, but still really not sweeping corners.

Abu Dhabi is obviously worse than RB Ring for a range of other reasons, and I’m pretty sure we’ll see a cracking race, but to suggest RB Ring is some classic style track is just really untrue.

4. Kneyfield said on 23rd July 2013, 12:23

I’m sure, that another race will be stricken instead, or maybe New Jersey will fail for some reason, as there’ve been many doubts about their success.

Maybe I’m a bit biased because I have driven the track a couple of times myself, but I like it quite a bit. It can’t hold a candle in terms of splendor of the area of and around the track when compared to Tilke’s usual monster-sized tracks, but compare it to traditional European tracks and it can hold its own.

5. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:24

Oh, and as for the number of races, I think we’ll still end up with 20 – I think Korea gets dropped, and one of Sochi or New Jersey will not push through (more likely Sochi won’t push through).

• Nick (@npf1) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:42

Actually, I’ve seen more concerning reports about New Jersey than Sochi. At that, rumor has it, a Russian GP could be held on a street circuit in St. Petersburg. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Korean GP go, though.

6. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:27

Nice to hear. But their is a problem “Red Bull Ring”, nice bit of advertising there. They could fix races, not cool.

7. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:29

Excellent news! I just hope they don’t make any modifications to add a kilometer-long straight and a dozen 90 degree corners, to make it more “modern”. F1 needs an old-fashioned short track.

Plus, it’s always good to see F1 go to a country with an established fan base.

8. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:29

It’s obviously not a patch on the Osterreichring but the Red Bull Ring is sufficiently different from most other tracks on the calendar that I think it’s a worthy addition to the calendar. They might have to do something about those kerbs, though.

Also, I think this is the first time we’ve had an announcement that a race will take place on a track that’s already been built since the Japanese Grand Prix at Fuji in 2007.

9. Jake (@jakehardyf1) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:31

Brings back memories of the the Schumi – Hakkinen battles there

10. Finally some good news regarding F1′s calendar. I almost can’t believe it.

A return for the A1 Ring is long overdue, to be honest, and so is the addition of more / new european tracks to the calendar. Also, for someone who lives in the eastern side of Europe, this is gonna become the most accessible race in the calendar, next to Hungaroring. I’m genuinely happy!

11. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:33

Think I might put a bet for a Red Bull 1-2 and a Toro Rosso 3-4 next year.

12. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:36

We’re rapidly getting to the stage where there are far too few spots on the calendar for the tracks that want them. If the rumors of Thailand, Mexico and Argentina angling for a race are true along with the New Jersey race, Sochi in Russia and now the return of the A1 Ring, then someone’s going to lose out big-time, and I just pray it isn’t somewhere like Spa or Suzuka.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:42

Spa is under contract. Suzuka is not.

And to be perfectly honest, losing Suzuka might be a good thing. Red Bull have dominated there in the recent past, and I have long suspected that they approach it as the race where their championship bid becomes serious. Taking that away from them won’t hurt.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 24th July 2013, 0:45

Suzuka being removed being seen as a ‘good thing’ just because one team has recently done very well there isn’t a good enough reason for me. It’s a great track, often cited as a favourite from the drivers and spectators, and I love watching F1 there. It’s a perverse logic that says removing a classic track is good, just to possibly hinder one team.

• William (@william) said on 24th July 2013, 1:55

Suzuka will be a big lost as I don’t see why they will get dropped as I will like to see 22 Races on the calendar

• Yosi (@yoshif8tures) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:09

Well if Honda are back in 2014 then Suzuka should be pretty safe, seeingas it’s their home race and owned by Honda.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:13

Good point, hadn’t thought of that. Suzuka is off the endangered list!

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 23rd July 2013, 18:03

@colossal-squid. I don’t see why. Suzuka fell into that alternating deal with Fuji while Honda had a full-fledged works team.

Furthermore, there’s nothing clearing Spa and Interlagos… let’s hope they can manage the callendar.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 23rd July 2013, 20:37

Suzuka is… back on the endangered list? This comment section is an emotional rollercoaster for me. No track is safe!

Seeing Suzuka, Spa or Interlagos go would be absolutely horrible. We can hope, but if the powers that be start talking about markets or brand exposure or profile, or any other buzzword, what chance does somewhere like Spa have?

• Kneyfield (@kneyfield) said on 24th July 2013, 4:43

@colossal-squid & @guilherme – The reason for the alternating deal with Fuji is easily explained. The Suzuka track is just about profitable but not enough to be worth it normally. There’s motivation enough to keep the Grand Prix in the country right now, but they had no problem to switch with another Japanese race-track every second year when they had the chance in years past.

As far as I know, Suzuka has a current deal until 2018 and should be safe. This isn’t fully confirmed, but I read about it from a person of authority in the f1onboard dot com message board some months ago. While that never made it into the news, it might just become public later in the year, when Formula 1 visits Japan again.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:48

Of course Spa is also contracted until at least 2015, so it won’t be until 2016 (if at all) when Spa goes. Korea seems the most likely to drop currently. Sadly though I do fear that the NJ GP may never materialise.

Also, Thialand’s organisation seems shambolic so fingers crossed that doesn’t happen (I get the impression that the race track will be abysmal and there won’t be a massive interest) but I reckon Mexico for sure will be on the horizon considering the increasing involvement in F1 from its drivers and sponsors. Argentina perhaps but I’m not so sure on that one.

So that’s the 19 races we have now for next season, + Russia, + Austria, + Mexico & possibly + NJ. That’s 22/3 races and I reckon Korea will be gone sooner rather than later considering it has been running at a loss since its initiation and there is almost no Korean involvement in F1 besides the race. So lets say we have 21 races at the start of 2015 as a preliminary (NB no NJ or Korea despite it being contracted to run): if there’s only one more space in Bernie’s 22 race calendar, does Thialand or Argentina get the slot?

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 23rd July 2013, 14:49

I agree that the New Jersey GP won’t happen. Ever since I heard it was delayed until next year, I have written it off as ever happening. This news makes it look more unlikely as well, and Sochi does seem likely to be ready next year. I too will be glad when the Thailand idea is put to bed. Mexico or Argentina would be much more welcome.

• William (@william) said on 24th July 2013, 1:52

NJ will happen and they will get rid of the in season testing

• mike-e (@mike-e) said on 24th July 2013, 2:18

I think germany will be off the calendar fairly soon. Thats probably where austria fits in.

• Kneyfield (@kneyfield) said on 24th July 2013, 4:58

Although I’m Austrian myself, I believe this would be a poor choice and a bad replacement.

Instead of the Red Bull Ring, the shortest race-track in the season, I’d rather have the two-for-one package I get in Germany with the Hockenheimring and Nürburgring every other year.

13. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:36

Given the recent track record for Ecclestone’s ability to organize races, I don’t think I’ll believe it until I see the cars lined up on the grid.

14. dodge5847 (@dodge5847) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:43

Maybe we will be dropping the German tracks due to Bernie’s little problems in Germany?

15. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:53

Well some say this ist the first new European race announced since Valencia. I hate to disagree but technically Russia is geographicly part of Europe and Asia, I even believe Sochi is in the European part of Russia. So therefore Russia was before Austria. I hate to be such a know-it-all.

All in all great news for F1 I say!

1 2 3