F1 tipped to return to Austria in 2014

2014 F1 calendar

Jarno Trulli, Renault, A1-Ring, 2003The 2014 F1 calendar will include a return to Austria according to a report in the Austrian newspaper Kurier.

It quotes a Red Bull statement claiming an agreement has been reached between Bernie Ecclestone and Dietrich Mateschitz to revive the event which last took place ten years ago. The race will take place on July 6th.

The race will be held at the Red Bull Ring, formerly the A1-Ring, which was last used for F1 races between 1997 and 2003. The A1-Ring is a truncated version of the Osterreichring which held the Austrian Grand Prix between 1970 and 1987.

The 4.3km, ten-turn circuit was reopened in 2011 after being purchased by Red Bull.

New races are also planned in Sochi, Russia and New Jersey, USA, which could potentially increase the number of races next year to 22.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Renault/LAT

111 comments on F1 tipped to return to Austria in 2014

1. If this is true and all goes ahead, would Silverstone be most likely shuffled forwards or backwards from the provisional date on their website?

2. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:55

Also, this is surely going to be the shortest lap on the F1 calendar. The 2003 pole position time was under 70 seconds, and over four seconds less than the current shortest on the calendar, Brazil.

Of course what’s going to happen to lap times next year is a point of debate.

3. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:56

This would be fantastic news! I used to love the races at the A1-Ring. The elevation changes, picturesque setting, long straights and short overall length make it a distinct challenge. The F1 World Championship should feature the ultimate mix of tracks, not just a 20-something list of “Tilkedromes”. Having Austria back on the calendar enhances the Championship.

With all the moaning about blue flags that’s going on at the moment in F1, it will be fascinating to see how Vettel & Alonso scythe through the traffic on a track that should be negotiated in around 1min 10secs.

• Delta Golf Sierra (@cumulonimbus) said on 23rd July 2013, 14:33

Actually, Red Bull Ring was rebuilt by Tilke. But it sure is a beautiful setting. Looking forward to it.

• AlonsoWDC (@alonsowdc) said on 23rd July 2013, 18:57

This is what I love most about blind Tilke-bashers.

Tilke has constructed a number of great circuits. It’s the relative homogenization of each, despite the fact that most every one of his circuits is visually unique and correspondent to its home nation, that people fuss about. Which is entirely on the FIA’s standards – if it wasn’t Tilke, if it was an engineering firm named Alexander, we’d all be Alexander-bashers.

But I feel that the concept of a ‘world championship’ (or pretty much any calendar for any racing series) should be as diverse as possible. This is a welcome change, even if we cannot get Istanbul (another Tilke circuit!) back and probably never will.

4. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 23rd July 2013, 12:57

Amaizing ! a new race, at a permanent track, in Europe ! didn’t see that one coming !

5. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:06

I know everyone’s saying what a change it makes, but I hate to say it, Tilke actually built this track :)

I love it, though. Good memories. Happy to see it back!

• Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:13

Yep, but that was still the young and exciting tilke, he’s built some horror tracks in the past couple of years but sure he has also done good work for the sport. See Sepang is not to bad is it?

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:25

Yeh, Sepang really is quite good.

And in fairness, with the A1 he just had to shorten a current track, so it wasn’t a ‘clean sheet’ design, as such.

• GT_Racer said on 23rd July 2013, 14:01

He didn’t just shorten it though, The only part of the current track that is the same as it was on the old layout is the start/finish straght, Everything else was altered.

He redesigned the entire circuit & basically rebuilt it from scratch.

Whats now the Red Bull Ring was always a very popular circuit amongst drivers, It also always produced good races with good levels of overtaking so I dread to think what DRS will do to it.

• frankus28 (@frankus28) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:16

Lol, great point! I agree that he did well with this track.

6. Matthijs (@matthijs) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:13

It will only be great if DRS is inactivated…

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:24

Funny you mention that.

I watched Race 1 of the WSR yesterday and thought ‘it’d be really cool to see the F1 come back here’, because the WSR’s looked pretty slow in comparison to what i’m used to seeing when it comes to single seaters around the A1 ring (sorry, not too keen on RB Ring).

Then I started thinking where they’d inevitably put the DRS. My guess is the s/f, and the straight after T1.

7. Hairs (@hairs) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:30

I’m glad to see f1 returning to another permanent track in the heart of Europe, where a) there will be a local audience and b) the track owner will spend money.

However, I wonder about another aspect of motorsport which shows a worrying trend. Red Bull now own two of the teams on the F1 grid, one of the tracks, a young driver programme (that admittedly isn’t as successful), they’re title sponsors for a championship rally team, they’re primary sponsors for other drivers and minor sponsors for other teams in several series, and if rumours are to be believed, they’re being offered a seat on FOM’s board.

While this is admirable success for a company who have turned a losing f1 team around since 2006, they are one of only 3 major sponsors to take much of an interest in f1 since the crash of 2007 (Rolex and pvdsa being the others). They torpedoed the resource restriction agreement, and currently have a huge spending advantage (they even fabricate parts at the circuit during race weekends according to one report) at a time when other teams can barely survive. Other motorsports series are suffering the same problems as f1, as the money needed to run modern formulas simply isn’t available in the sponsorship marketplace.

Are we running into a future where Red Bull run the sport from the board, dominate the paddock with massive spending, and have the power to manipulate things to their advantage? What I’m seeing doesn’t look healthy. Another financial crash is on the horizon, and Santander are shaky. Vodafone are gone, and the paddock seems to have no idea what McLaren might have in the way of a replacement. So potentially the two biggest challengers to red bull may have significant trouble getting the money in to compete. I know the argument “they’re two huge brands they’ll get money in somewhere” but already you can see that they’re not bringing as many updates, or as frequently, as red bull do. Is that down to lack of ideas, or (relative to red bull) lack of money?

As to the rumors of who will replace Bernie, who do we know who has global business pedigree, a genius for marketing, a wide reach, and gets a lot of this done very quickly and with little fuss? One D. Matechitz…?

Is the future of f1 bright, or monochrome?

• Kneyfield (@kneyfield) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:50

I doubt, that Mateschitz would be interested in a position as glamorous as Ecclestone’s. The man has always been media-shy and introverted in the public. That said, wasn’t there some speculation recently (already refuted apparently), that Christian Horner could take this role?

About Red Bull’s influence in motorsports and F1 in particular: I agree with you. On the other hand, I’m from Austria. I can’t hate or doubt them, especially after news like this! ;)

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 23rd July 2013, 14:57

Bernie is reasonably well known but 99% of what he does goes unreported. It’s all quiet phone calls and handshake deals. He rarely gets his face in the paper and only when there’s a benefit to him.

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 23rd July 2013, 14:27

@hairs Ferrari will have something to say about that! As well as the FIA – I don’t see either of them as big fans of Red Bull. The pendulum will swing when (not if) Vettel moves to another team… most likely Ferrari.

8. Tom_ec1 (@tom_ec1) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:36

British Grand Prix 2014 is meant to be on 06 July!

I’ve bought a ticket for next year’s race at Silverstone and it says 04-06 July on the email confirmation, so I guess it will have to move…

9. bezza695 (@bezza695) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:41

A1 ring Red Bull Ring great track, simple and a lot of fun one of the current non F1 tracks that I drive on Rfactor quite a lot :)

10. Rigi (@rigi) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:56

yes, yes, yes please! great circuit, please let these news be true!
    drop korea and bring this awesome track back!

11. Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 23rd July 2013, 13:58

Its great to see a race in Europe come back. Its top class instead of having prospective races in Thailand or other places where the sport isnt as big eg China and Korea. I like this decision, but how many races will there be next year?

12. GT_Racer said on 23rd July 2013, 14:04

Changes to Interlagos for 2014 have been approved-

Basically a new pit complex, The current 2nd straght is slightly longer with a modified Turn 4.

13. BJ (@beejis60) said on 23rd July 2013, 14:06

Very happy to see this. Much better venue than Valencia; still hoping that Valencia will not be swapping with Catalunya.

14. Enigma (@enigma) said on 23rd July 2013, 14:17

Fantastic news! I’d just been there on Saturday for World series by Renault and it was great. Though it’s a very, very short track (3.5 qualified with 1:15 I think), and I think it needs some work on safety.

I also think they’ll have to build some new grandstands (there’s quite a lot of seats, but it’s only from the pit straight to a bit after turn 1). The view is fantastic though, as you can see most of the track from there (Pic 1, Pic 2)

It’s always nice when there’s an European addition to the track, especially when it’s such a unique one. And it’s fantastic that there’ll be an F1 race less than two hours’ drive from where I live.

15. Fixy (@fixy) said on 23rd July 2013, 14:21

The first thing I thought off was that it should be lovely to play in new F1 games as it was one of the tracks I enjoyed most in F1 Challenge. That said, I’m also happy to see the return of a classic F1 track rather than continuous new additions of Tilkedromes in the most various countries. I have never seen a race at the track so I don’t know how good or bad it is, or was, and how entertaining races there can be, but I have high hopes.
    A downside might be that with more circuits coming onto the calendar, some of the current ones might be at risk. As long as it isn’t the classic ones I’m in favour of the Red Bull Ring replacing them.