Vettel quickest despite brake problem

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix first practice

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Hungaroring, 2013Sebastian Vettel was quickest in the first practice session for the Hungarian Grand Prix as the Red Bull drivers headed the times.

Vettel set a best lap of 1’22.723 when he returned to the track in the second half of the session. He sat out much of the early running when a brake problem was discovered on his RB9 during his first run.

Kimi Raikkonen was third quickest but also experienced a series of niggling problems in his Lotus. A brief airbox fire was extinguished but Raikkonen then complained of having moisture in his footwell.

In the final minutes of the session he was told to slowly return to the pits as his right-rear tyre developed a slow puncture.

Romain Grosjean was also well up for Lotus, within a tenth of a second of his team mate, the pair separated by Fernando Alonso’s Ferrari.

Jenson Button was an encouraging sixth for McLaren ahead of Adrian Sutil, with Nico Rosberg the highest of the Mercedes drivers in eighth.

The top ten was completed by Sergio Perez and Pastor Maldonado. The session ran in hot conditions with track temperatures reaching 45C by the end of the 90 minutes.

Jean-Eric Vergne had a high-speed spin at turn four but managed not to hit anything, and Jules Bianchi lost some running earlier in the session with a KERS fault.

Pos. No. Driver Car Best lap Gap Laps
22 23 Rodolfo Gonzalez Marussia-Cosworth 1’28.927 6.204 25

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

35 comments on Vettel quickest despite brake problem

1. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 26th July 2013, 10:45

That’s it!, pole, fastest lap, race and World Championship, whats the point of F1 2O13? ;-)

2. FanatikosF1 (@fanatikosf1) said on 26th July 2013, 10:48

Well, I think Vettel will claim pole tomorrow and Webber will be 3rd or 4th on the grid.
    Realy encouraging to see McLaren in 6th with Button. If they can keep this up (being .6s or less off one lap pace) then they fight for positions 4th to 6th come the closing stages of the race i think!

3. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 26th July 2013, 10:52

Looks like Mercedes are concentrating solely on race pace, as they did in Bahrain…though that didn’t help them too much there. If they get pole, then it could prove an interesting start, as I’m sure there pace will be significantly slower than that of Lotus, Red Bull and Ferrari, which should bunch them up a bit.

McLaren finally look to be on an upwards curve, which is nice to see. I have a feeling it’s more to do with the compound change, and the stricter rules to the pressures and cambers of the tyres, as said in practice, but I’m not complaining. If anything, I would love to see McLaren become contenders for wins during the second half of the season, as it would really spice things up.

• Traverse (@) said on 26th July 2013, 11:32

Mercedes must sort out their race pace for the sake of the championship. They’re the only team with the raw pace to trouble RBR and set the championship alight once again. As for McLaren, I can’t help but see them as a complete and utter joke. They completely underachieved with some of the best driver to ever grace an F1 grid and now they’re continuing that trend; midfield is where McLaren belong.

4. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 26th July 2013, 10:55

Looks like Williams might have made some progrss on the new tires as well

5. Traverse (@) said on 26th July 2013, 11:26

I hope Raikkonen joins RBR next year so that The Vet can school him (just like Massa did in 2008).

• Knot said on 26th July 2013, 13:02

Where is your Massa now? He got lucky in 2008 with the car suited to his liking as Schumi influenced the direction of their car dev’t.

• Balazsryche (@balazsryche) said on 26th July 2013, 15:05

LOL. You cannot even compare MAS to RAI or VET. He is a mediocre driver. I see the 70 years old Massa sitting and crying on the sofa watching the replay of the 2008 season. The year when he “schooled” his world champion (again, world champion, 2 times runner up and 2 times third) teammate. The year when he finished runner up, one place ahead his teammate, who had the worst season of his carreer and was leading the championship until Mr. Santander signed the deal with the Scuderia, but thats history…. The year when he was driving the best car of the grid. Spun out from 2nd place, inherited a victory, RAI let him go in China… C’mon… And now look where is Felipe since 2010 compared to the Spaniard. How do you call that, a knife in the heart? Massa is running out of talent, while RAI is even better than ever, despite the 2 year break, why is that cause you so much pain?

6. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 26th July 2013, 11:28

I’m now interested to see what kind of times the Mercedes can do when they switch focus to outright one-lap pace. Hopefully it’s a good battle for pole!

• Traverse (@) said on 26th July 2013, 11:39

It will be a good battle for pole but unfortunately, that’s where the contest will end. Hamilton for pole, Vet for easy race win. I just wish we’d have a succession of races where the result was up in the air (like last season).

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 26th July 2013, 11:42

I’d love it if Mercedes stop developing this years car and then come back next year with the best car and finally beat Vettel.

• Traverse (@) said on 26th July 2013, 11:55

They should indeed prioritise the development of next years car. Chalk this year up as a significant step forward, take the positives and develop an absolute beast next year!

• bertie (@bertie) said on 26th July 2013, 12:47

They dont need to stop developing the car as the tyres will probably be largely the same next year and so anything they learn can be carried over to next year.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 26th July 2013, 11:48

@hellotraverse random is all well and good I agree but I didn’t like the methods used last season i.e. having tyres so unpredictable that whoever struck the Goldilocks zone would win.

Back on this season though I don’t think it’s that simple: after all Vettel has “only” won 4 of 9 races. However, 2 of those have come in the last 3 weekends and in the other he retired from the lead, so perhaps it is a sign of things to come (i.e. a damp squib of a championship battle).

7. I told you so.

8. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 26th July 2013, 11:37

That must be McLaren’s best practice session of the season. Hopefully they can start to restore some pride this season.

9. sato113 (@sato113) said on 26th July 2013, 12:04

every change in the tyres eventually suits red bull. it’s just a mix up of the order behind.

10. jpowell (@jpowell) said on 26th July 2013, 15:10

And for my next trick I will be winning the next Grand Prix in reverse gear only…Seb.

11. Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 26th July 2013, 17:10

Vettel will win race and championship !! It was really good last year as there was a thoroughly close battle till the end . This year , I am just feeling so bitter .

12. jason101 said on 26th July 2013, 22:41

Its weird. I don’t mind VET (I’m a HAM fan) and I don’t like the boo-ing VET gets on the podium as I feel its disrespectful but put that to one side.

Reading the headline Redbull 1-2 in practice made me think “Really? Is that the championship done again?”

Its unfortunate I guess for me but the thought of VET steaming off into the lead and no real prospect of a race for the lead makes me just want to not bother watching the race.

I probably will in the hope I’m wrong, but realistically I can’t see much else changing it unless there is a mechanical failure.

For me its the problem with dominance, like with the SCHUMI years, its dull. Last year was great with the uncertainty now its looking like a snoozefest.

If I was a VET fan I’m sure I’d feel different but I’m not, so that’s just my problem to deal with but I needed to sound off about it.

13. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 26th July 2013, 23:29

Caption for the photo:
    Vettel: I’m coming to get you children, mwhahahaha!

14. Pete (@repete86) said on 27th July 2013, 0:09

Makes sense that he would be faster with a brake problem. I mean, all they do is slow you down, right?