Alonso criticises Grosjean’s “aggressive” driving

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Hungaroring, 2013Fernando Alonso says Romain Grosjean was too aggressive at the start of the race and is pleased the Lotus driver was penalised later on.

Alonso said he knew his race hinged on making a good start: “We thought that the start was our only opportunity because we were not quick enough.”

“In the start we didn’t maximise the good start we did. Grosjean was concentrating only me, maybe he forgot that we are racing 24 [sic] cars.”

“But I was happy that he paid penalty after with Jenson* to compensate a little bit his aggressivity.”

However Alonso admitted the root of Ferrari’s problems at the Hungaroring was a lack of performance:

“At the end we didn’t have the pace. We were too slow with the soft, we were too slow with the medium. So you know we defend from Webber, from Button, from Romain at the end so we were always defending because we were too slow in the race.

“Thanks to Hamilton and to Kimi [Raikkonen] the loss in points in the championship is not so high but obviously we want to close that gap and we need to improve immediately.”

*Grosjean’s penalty was for his overtaking move on Felipe Massa.

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

47 comments on Alonso criticises Grosjean’s “aggressive” driving

1. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 28th July 2013, 16:32

You can see how much he misses HRT…

2. Well I thought Grosjean’s driving at the start was brilliant. Nothing to complain about there, he was firm, decisive and quick to react. Shame he couldn’t quite pull it off when overtaking Button later on.

3. James (@speedking84) said on 28th July 2013, 16:33

Alonso complaining, this isn’t news.

4. MNM101 (@mnm101) said on 28th July 2013, 16:37

GRO’s driving was great, He didn’t do anything any other driver wouldn’t do, Alonso is taking things a bit to personally

5. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 28th July 2013, 16:37

I’m sorry but I don’t agree Alonso: his driving at the start was fine – he didn’t unduly shove anybody, he kept his nose clean and was generally firm but fair. I didn’t however like his driving with Button (that was just stupid) and the move on Massa was unfair but only marginally so – he should’ve just given the place back. It would’ve been excellent had he just kept a wheel on the circuit though!

6. Nick (@npf1) said on 28th July 2013, 16:38

Fernando, you might want to consider them as contenders as well, since you and Ferrari can’t seem to find a way forward, while Mercedes and Hamilton are improving a lot and Kimi has been making some epic moves lately. Lotus seem more likely to get their qualifying together than Ferrari at this point, which means Kimi will finish in front of Fernando more often as well.

I’m not sure if Alonso turns to inflating his ego when things aren’t going his way, but he reminds me more of 2005-2007 Alonso than himself one year ago.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 28th July 2013, 17:21

Apparently Button had the following to say:

“I’m going to see the stewards about it, but I think it’s pretty straightforward – I couldn’t go any more left,” Button said.

“That’s it, really. Unless I’m on the grass, which is not where I want to be when I’m braking for a corner, he had no way of not hitting me. I obviously didn’t realise how narrow the circuit was at that corner…

“It could have been a lot worse than it was. It could have ended both of our races. I was quite lucky. I think our cars are robust.”

7. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 28th July 2013, 16:46

I think that sometimes it’s just a little too easy to criticise Grosjean publicly…I thought he was fine today.

• Michael (@freelittlebirds) said on 28th July 2013, 17:50

+1 – Second best drive of the race after Lewis today

• David BR2 said on 28th July 2013, 18:11

Me too, I still don’t understand the problem with the Button incident, will have to see it again. But the start seemed fine. Funny how nobody points a finger at yet another Vettel Veer Special, lunging at another driver from the grid start and trying to steer them off track, which he did with Grosjean until there was (I think) no space left. Is that strictly legal? Anyhow, just saying that seemed much more aggressive than anything Grosjean did.

• Jueta (@eljueta) said on 28th July 2013, 18:54

If it was only alonso complaining, that isn’t news. Problem is the FIA stewards

• Solo (@solo) said on 19th October 2013, 19:17

i agree. I think Alonso was unhappy with the lack of pace and he decided to reveal some frustration by mentioning Gronjean because it easy to pick at him due to the whole bad rumor he got from his few bad starts last year.
      Sorry but that was low behavior from Alonso.

8. tmax (@tmax) said on 28th July 2013, 16:47

Well i dont quite understand the expectation of Alonso. Does he expect everybody other than Vettel to move over for him at the start. He should remember that he is also racing 24 drivers not just one !!!!!!

I thought Grosjean drove a good race today. Good start great overtakes etc. The penalty was kind of too harsh on him…

Well no point thanking Kimi and Lewis… they are pulling away from him now !!!!!

9. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 28th July 2013, 16:53

One can just sense the immense frustration of Alonso due to the absolutely rubbish Ferrari development rate, when one reads these completely unrealistic statements.

From an Alonso fan.

I hate it how Ferrari as a team feels completely content to rely only on him, expecting him to carry them over to a WDC solely. It’s almost abuse. From an attitude point of view, Ferrari is surely among the worst teams, just unable to motivate themselves like every single other team does. Alonso is very polite towards them, but they really needs some kick in the ass, I believe Alonso should change its policy towards them. Committing to 2016 and neglecting the series of failures in development leads to nowhere.

10. Traverse (@) said on 28th July 2013, 17:23

There was nothing wrong with Grosjean’s manoeuvres at the beginning of the race, he let himself down later on though.

On another note, who would’ve thought that Alonso would still have just the two WDCs come 2013? I guess nobody expected beasts like Ham and The Vet to turn up and spoil the Alonso love-in. I also dispute this notion that Alonso is the most complete driver on the grid. He clearly lacks the vital qualifying skill set to eke out every last drop of qualy potential, he also lacks outright pace but (to be fair), he is the most consistent driver by far.

My vote for most complete driver goes to Vettel: He’s fast and consistent, rarely makes mistakes, always maximises his qualifying position and when the time comes to finish off his opponents he doesn’t hesitate to plunge the knife (figuratively) into their chests! Being a 3-time consecutive WDC doesn’t do his case any harm neither.

Hamilton would be the perfect driver if he was more consistent with tyre management, a skill that he showed in abundance today.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 28th July 2013, 17:26

Vettel has been helped by having (on average) the best car on the grid, whereas the Ferrari’s not quite on front-running pace. So I’d say Alonso is the better of the two. Just.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 28th July 2013, 17:36

And yet again I can safely say Alonso inherited the blind haters Schumacher had, while Vettel inherited the ‘it’s just the car’ crowd.

• Luca Nuvolari (@nuvolari71) said on 28th July 2013, 17:42

Just a small personal note: Kimi was on 30+ old tires today towards the end and Sebastian with much fresher tires barely tried. Yes, he’s making points for his 4th WDC, so he chilled after Kimi said clearly “no” once. Probably Ham or Alo would have passed or tried harder. I rate him quite high, but a step well below Ham and Alo

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 28th July 2013, 17:52

@nuvolari71 it’s definitely worth bearing in mind the top speed deficit of the Red Bull though: Vettel didn’t really have any opportunities into turn one and so wasn’t quite close enough in most cases into turn 2, so his only real chance was into turn 4 which is a notoriously difficult place to pass (especially when you’re up against somebody of the defensive calibre as Räikkönen). He had the tyres but not the car unfortunately for the job.

• Luca Nuvolari (@nuvolari71) said on 28th July 2013, 18:10

fair point. I also guess Horner made a call like “bud, Alo is way back, bring P3 home”.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 28th July 2013, 19:26

Let’s not forget that with the top speed deficit there is also a tremendous traction in that RB9 we all know how Red Bull set’s their cars with short gear ratio to maximize the acceleration which is theoretically ideal a good exit from the last turn then use DRS but that is not the case overtaking today was really tricky Alonso defended from Grosjean maybe for half the race despite the Lotus is a quicker car than the Ferrari
          But i still don’t get it with some non sense after race judgments like Vettel is better than Kimi because he defended well in the Nurburgring & today Kimi is a better racer than Vettel because he didn’t let him pass , Alonso is weak because he finished 5th blablablabla……..

11. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 28th July 2013, 17:45

I think this penalising and complaining about Grosjean is getting a bit old. People kind of enjoy jumping on the band wagon a bit. His start was fine, he was hard but fair, so I don’t know what Alonso is on about. Buttons incident was just that, a racing incident. And Massa’s move was one of the best bits of overtaking I have seen this year. Penalty was harsh, if the stewards felt he had an advantage by going off track they should just have told him to give the position back. The reality this weekend was that Grosjean had Kimi beat on pace. Simple as that, and Kimi is no slouch as we all know.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 28th July 2013, 18:02

I think it’s generally accepted that the teams have to tell a driver to give the place back if they see it as illegal: case in point, Abu Dhabi last year (where Vettel had four wheels off the track in his first attempt at overtaking Grosjean).

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 28th July 2013, 19:31

I read earlier this year that giving back positions isn’t anymore valid if you have made an error you will be penalized i will try to remember when & where i read it

12. clappy (@danielc) said on 28th July 2013, 17:47

I like Alo, but not his Samuaria comments lol, this may bring him down a peg afterall he as no title since 06 that is an awul long time and he is running out of his peak now last year and this year is his peak, he certainly wont get better history shows that.

13. Giovanni (@grosanov) said on 28th July 2013, 18:22

If anything GRO was defending from a very aggressive move by VET at the start of the race, he didn’t leave any room for the Lotus and blocked ALO on the way.

I guess ALO is frustrated by the result and is looking for an excuse on a poor result, blaming someone who is normally in trouble at the start. GRO had a great race, should’ve had a better place at the end.

I think this constant complaining is killing the racing action, GRO was one of the few entertainers of the race

14. Jason (@jason12) said on 28th July 2013, 18:38

So GRO was only focusing on Alonso

15. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 28th July 2013, 18:54

I was very impressed with Grossjean at the start. The way Vettel was trying to shove him off was just rude and awkward really. Grossjean just stuck to his line.

The first turns after the start were indeed a tad messy, but I’d say Alonso was as much to blame for that. He lost out in an overtake and nearly got collected by Massa and Grossjean.

• Euro Brun (@eurobrun) said on 28th July 2013, 19:29

I thought Vettel was pushing a bit with Grosjean on the run down to turn 1. Nothing wrong with Grosjean’s start. Button incident was messy, but Massa overtake was unfairly punished in my opinion.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th July 2013, 20:15

Vettel still left a car’s width for Grosjean, unlike RG’s actions at Spa last year. That was “trying to shove” an opponent off.