Alonso dismisses link to 2014 Red Bull seat

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Hungaroring, 2013Fernando Alonso said he was unaware of moves by his management to get into the vacant seat at Red Bull alongside Sebastian Vettel in 2014.

Alonso, who is under contract with Ferrari until 2016, said “I don’t think so,” when asked if his manager had spoken to Red Bull over a possible move. “Not that I know of,” he added.

“I’m concentrating on the championship. These are rumours that always in August is good time for rumours because we have four weeks with not a Formula One race.”

Christian Horner said Red Bull were “not stuck for choice” on a replacement for Mark Webber next year. “We’re starting to get a clearer picture but then other options suddenly pop up.”

“We’re in a fortunate position where we’re not in a rush, we’ve got a great deal of interest in the seat, and we just want to make sure we get it right.”

Asked if he would like Alonso as a team mate next year Vettel said: “I’d prefer Kimi [Raikkonen]!”

“Nothing against Fernando, I really respect him a lot as a driver but I think I respect Kimi on-track, off-track, because he’s always been very straight with me and from that point of view it might be a bit easier.”

Alonso, who lost his grip on second place in the drivers’ championship today, urged Ferrari to respond to their struggles in recent races:

“July in general the month has been not so good for us in terms of how competitive we’ve been this month, in Nurburgring, Silverstone and Hungary. We need to react immediately and as I said in Nurburgring we need three or four consecutive races that will close any gap with the leaders and we need to do it.”

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

190 comments on Alonso dismisses link to 2014 Red Bull seat

1. q85 said on 28th July 2013, 20:00

Remember RBR are in this as a business and marketing tool.

Currently they are winning but they have a driver that isnt too popular, its no good for their ‘fun’ brand to have a driver that is booed and disliked. There are 2 options round this 1. Get Kimi who is mostly loved, only down side is he is useless at PR 2. Great a super team with seb and fernando, let the sparks fly and tell the world your brand gave F1 what it wants ‘the 2 best in the same car’

Either is better than having the most disliked driver advertising your brand. Win or not its not great for them.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 28th July 2013, 20:20

Does Kimi mix his Vodka with Red Bull? If so, he wouldn’t have to do much marketing. Just do what he normally does.

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 28th July 2013, 20:24

“Most disliked” by who, exactly? The total F1 audience is in the tens of millions. The members of the British F1 press corp and the people who leave comments on sites like this one probably number, what …. a couple of thousand people all together?

After Richard Nixon won a landslide election victory in the US, a film critic remarked in surprise “I only know one person who voted for Nixon”. It’s a mistake to confuse the people in our own little bubble for the public at large.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 28th July 2013, 20:38

Vettel gets booed at literally every Grand Prix. It is understandable at the Australian, Spanish & British Grand Prix as his biggest rivals over the years have been of those nationalities. But when neutral venues like Canada and Hungary start booing him, well that suggests he is ‘disliked’.

In comparison Hamilton, Alonso and Kimi are cheered everywhere.

• I know worshipping Raikkonen is flavour of the month, but there’s got to be tons of people out there who don’t like his style, surely?

• Glenn (@glennb) said on 29th July 2013, 8:49

I dont like his style. Decent driver but pretty much a jerk. I imagine hewould cross the road to avoid saying hi to a fan.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 29th July 2013, 14:09

@gwan I don’t really like him either: he’s pretty boring outside of the car and a hot-head inside of it. He’s not a very connectable person either, unlike Sebastian, Daniel or Jenson in particular (they’re always very happy and willing to talk to the media it appears which I admire).

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 29th July 2013, 15:42

@vettel1
          He’s an incredible driver with possibly the best feel for the car on the grid.
          But he doesn’t really strike me as hugely nice guy.

I’m sure he is nice, but he looks like he gets annoyed when he sees the media.

Mind you, I suppose I too would get sick of doing constant media appearances for years on end.

• Yoshitsune (@yobo01) said on 28th July 2013, 20:31

Alonso is not the most loved driver either. There are some really bad moments in his F1 carreer. Personally, I can’t forget his win in Singapore 2008, the team order in Hockenheim in 2010, and, of course, his 2007 season, which was quite controversial, to put it mildly.

I don’t think Red Bull will risk being called cheaters more than they are now. Alonso is not the driver they want, if their target is to be more popular. Kimi is a much better choice.

• Manule said on 28th July 2013, 20:39

‘Most disliked’, now that is rich. Have you ever heard of a wee little country called Germany? It is somewhere in Europe. Vettel is revered there and is only second to Schumacher. Perhaps, you also heard of a little country called Spain? You know who was booed there the most? One British driver who for a year drove for the same team as one Spanish driver. So it is all relative.

2. Am I the only one who saw Vettel’s naughty grin when talking Raikkonen up and thought, “that’s because he knows Riccardo’s got it in the bag?” Could be completely wrong, but just looked like he was stirring.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 29th July 2013, 0:15

Aren’t Vettel and Raikkonen friends? Maybe he just really would like for Raikkonen to come over.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 29th July 2013, 3:20

No, you would not want a friend as a team mate in a competitive car . That’s the last thing you’d want . It ruins your friendship .

• Candice said on 29th July 2013, 3:56

It ruins your friendship .

it only applies to lewis and fernando.

Kimi wouldn’t give much effort in creating rivalry. he raced and go home…thats it.

• I agree – Kimi wouldn’t care about any of the BS that takes place off the track.

Besides; Seb already said he would prefer Kimi over Nando if that was the choice.

It would be interesting to see if their mutual respect would last a full season but the racing would certainly be hard.

• Kimi4WDC said on 29th July 2013, 5:23

As both of them stated many times, they are not friends off track, but obviously have a certain degree of mutual respect for each other.

• MNM101 (@mnm101) said on 29th July 2013, 7:33

Neither of them are drama queens, which eliminates the chance of friction and all that BS, there will be competition but you won’t hear any of Mark Webber’s subtle under the belt media jabs

• alexx_88 (@alexx_88) said on 29th July 2013, 9:10

Are you serious about that? Kimi sure isn’t because he doesn’t put effort in creating rivalries, as a previous poster said, but think about all the times when things didn’t go according to Vettel’s plans and how he reacted. Yes, he is all smiling around when things go well for him, but what he does when they don’t… that’s another story.

• MNM101 (@mnm101) said on 29th July 2013, 9:46

@alexx_88 When did Seb ever talk ** about Mark or make all these under-handed remarks Mark is always making, the way he talks to the media and doesn’t acknowledge Seb (calls him the other car), at Silverstone he referred to him as Michael when talking to Alonso in the pre-podium room, etc.. meanwhile i never heard Seb doing anything of the sort, always says that he respects Mark and doesn’t bad mouth him.

I’d be happy if you can give me an example because i can’t recall anything at the moment.

• puneeth Bharath (@puneethvb) said on 29th July 2013, 18:10

Just type Vettel radio compilation in youtube .. you will find plenty

• alexx_88 (@alexx_88) said on 29th July 2013, 22:35

For me it’s obvious that those comments are the way Mark chose to vent his frustration. Some of it from the team’s preference of Vettel, some from Vettel’s own attitude during racing and a part from its own inability to pose a serious challenge to his teammate.

However, just remember the comments Vettel made from the cockpit, in Malaysia. If you didn’t hear the tone of “Get him out of my way, he is too slow.” then I can’t add anything else. Also, remember last year Malaysia, he was pretty rough on Karthikeyan, even though the crash was Vettel’s fault. You can see that these moments start to appear whenever he is not in a dominant position, as it has been over the last few years.

Personally, I can imagine Vettel not being quite the smiley face if he gets a new teammate next year and starts to lose out to him. In the end is hard to draw a line where legitimate complaining stops and whining starts.

3. Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 28th July 2013, 20:24

I will never blame Alonso if he wants to leave and did leave. Ferrari have let him down over and over again. Even if its just rumours it says to Ferrari “sort this sorry mess out”. However it be class to see Vettel and Alonso in the same team. My money would be on Alonso.

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 28th July 2013, 20:30

I would be interrested too :)
      I would bet on Fernando but Seb knows his car very well and it would be though times for him

• Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 28th July 2013, 20:40

Yeah I agree with you Seb knows that team inside out, but Alonso isn’t afraid of squabbles and politics. IF he did leave where would it leave Ferrari?

• Broom (@brum55) said on 28th July 2013, 20:53

It might be a blessing for Ferrari. I think Alonso’s ability to drive round the deficiencies of a car has kept Ferrari looking better than they actually are. If they partnered Massa with someone who needs a car to set-up a certain way, like a Button for example, than heads may be chopped and Ferrari may just recruit the personnel required to make the most of the fortunes spent on their F1 car.

• Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 28th July 2013, 20:46

I agree with you that Seb knows his car and team inside out. However Alonso doesn’t mind squabbling and arguing. Are Red Bull daring enough to do it? IF Alonso left Ferrari where does it leave Ferrari?

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 29th July 2013, 14:14

At least in the first year I think Seb would take it because he’d have the immediate advantage of knowing the team. After that it really just depends on the competitiveness of the team and drivers: if the car is up front Vettel will win I would think because he qualifies much better and needn’t worry about racing too much but if it turned out to be midfield I think Alonso would have a slight advantage in that he is still a better racer. Vettel is still young and improving though it is worth bearing in mind whereas Alonso will have plateaued.

4. Girts (@girts) said on 28th July 2013, 20:28

I think that Alonso might really want to leave Ferrari. He might tell the world as often as he wants what an awesome team it is and how much a title with Ferrari would mean to him. If he reckons that Ferrari’s chances to win titles during the upcoming years are slim, he certainly wants to move on to win the DWC with RBR, Mercedes, Marussia, Lego or whichever squad has the quickest car. The question is: Can Red Bull resist the temptation to take the chance to humiliate Ferrari and get one of the best driver line-ups that F1 has ever seen, knowing all the dangers that it would bring?

5. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 28th July 2013, 20:34

Not going to happen, Vettel is fine with Kimi because he thinks he can beat him but he’s not going to team up with his main rival of the last 3 years.

• Candice said on 29th July 2013, 3:58

yea, i bet he can really beat kimi easily ROFL

just like how he stucked behind Kimi with fresh tire

• @force-maikel Obviously Seb thinks he can beat either of them. Just like both of them think they can beat each other and Seb. And all it is, is just what they have to believe to be where they are.

In reality I think they would be fairly well matched because each of their styles have pros and cons. However, I don’t either Kimi or Fernando walking right into Red Bull and start beating Seb. Do you honestly think he could walk right into Lotus and beat Kimi?

6. liam (@) said on 28th July 2013, 21:53

Time for Ferrari to cut their ties with this qualifying donkey. Bring in HĂĽlkenberg whilst they wait for Vettel. Time to Rebuild!! Time for the power donkeys Alonso, Fry, Domenicali and Massa to leave.

• Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 28th July 2013, 21:54

So the best all round race driver is a donkey?

• liam (@) said on 28th July 2013, 22:05

No he isn’t the all round racer. He’s currently behind Kimi, Lewis and Seb, look at him today and just yesterday he proclaimed “Ferrari are back” If that’s back I feel bad for Ferrari. btw, I called him a “qualifying donkey” because simply that’s what he is. that’s a fact. When was his last pole?…..And don’t blame the car like he always doe’s. He’s a scrub past his prime as Qualifying is so important now.

• cud0z said on 28th July 2013, 22:14

look at 2010, 2012, 2006, 2005 or basically any race he has been in. one of the best drivers ever and nothing to add. if he has had a few slightly worse races (still better than his teammates) it doesn’t mean he has become worse driver or others have suddenly improved.

• Sebsfinger (@sebsfinger) said on 29th July 2013, 4:29

I remember in 2006 when Fernando won a championship. Long time between titles for the best all round driver.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 29th July 2013, 9:24

Schumacher was considered the most complete driver in the 90s, yet didn’t win a title between 1995 and 2000. I guess Hill, Villeneuve and Hakkinen each too short turns of being the most complete driver on the grid.

• Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 28th July 2013, 22:19

Would Vettel and Hamilton have taken pole in this Ferrari, dont get me wrong Sebastian and Lewis ate better qualifiers but would they have taken pole in this Ferrari? No. A scrub I dont think so.

• Kimi4WDC said on 29th July 2013, 5:33

Lewis might have. And I’m not a fan, but that boy does put his money where him mouth at during qualifying.

• cud0z said on 28th July 2013, 22:09

I know massa is good but to call him best driver? jk ofc :) on the topic- people have expressed some really interesting opinions here. I think vettel has a vote on this and I doubt he would want alonso as his teammate. obviously other people will also have vote but I think they will choose either kimi or ricciardo

• Umar Farooq Khawaja said on 28th July 2013, 22:18

Alonso managed to lose the DWC by 3 points last year with a car that was 1.5 to 2 seconds slower than pole for most of the year. How anybody can call him a “qualifying donkey” is beyond me. I expect a driver to maximize their points haul for each race and points are handed out after the race, not after qualifying. There is zero sense in qualifying at the top of the field only to go backwards in the race. Massa is no slouch and Alonso is way, way faster than Massa on most days. It is a pity that you can’t appreciate Alonso’s talent, for whatever reason.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 28th July 2013, 22:23

It’s the same logic that leads people to accuse Red Bull of conspiring against Webber. They simply can’t accept that someone is really good, so they latch onto the most ridiculous ideas as some sort of justification for their hate.

• Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 28th July 2013, 22:24

Exactly I’m sick of those conspiracy theories as well!

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 29th July 2013, 0:25

The thing with Webber is that his performance has fallen off the cliff at one exact point in time. Just around the Silverstone GP. The seasons before that he was right up there with Vettel. Both fighting for poles and race wins. After that race Webber pretty much vanished and Vettel seems to be almost racing alone.

There is good cause why people have conspiracies over that.

Especially since we know how Schumacher used to hold back his team mates. So its not even like it’s something new. The second driver gets less telemetry access, less setup acces, no say in car development, new parts come later, he gets lesser mechanics. It’s not so much a concerted effort or “conspiracy” to make the #2 driver look bad, it is a focus on the #1 driver which in the end does cost the other.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 29th July 2013, 0:48

@patrickl – Such conspiracies come about because people simplistically look at Monaco/Spain/2010 standings for some of the year, and assume that he’s “up there with Vettel”, when Vettel had numerous car failures from the lead, costing him the chance to be further ahead of Webber, like he has been ever since.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 29th July 2013, 3:34

@david-a I think after malaysia , They ensure that webber comes nowhere near vettel . But they also make sure he gets some points in every race . RBR play a smart game . How come KERS is always an issue with webber . Can KERS systems be controlled from the pit lane ? It can be discreetly done without anyone knowing what happens . Personally I don’t believe that webber falls off the cliff after such a strong outing in Malaysia. If you say it has happened every season( look at his williams season ,was it consistent ?) , then that is also a worrying thing as RBR have been playing this for longer than we know . Ok, why does Webber not leave earlier , He dooes not know about it, perhaps . I know you would say this is assumed conjecture , but yeah It can happen . After all RBR are smarter than Ferrari .

• David-A (@david-a) said on 29th July 2013, 16:57

@hamilfan – Kers has been an issue for Webber, like twice this season. Vettel had his own issues with it in Germany. COTD from a few days ago even pointed out the number of car problems both RBR drivers have had, which is pretty similar.

So I’m afraid that the conspiracies are just bad attempts at excuses. The real issue is that RBR have unreliability issues, and for both cars, on a more regular basis than some other teams.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th July 2013, 3:01

Oh come on. Webber almost always has a poorly working car. At the very least his KERS never seems to work and the clutch is never properly setup for the start.

It’s not about the complete car failures. Indeed both drivers have had their share of engine related failures,but that’s pretty much beyond the team’s control.

It’s not just that Webber and Vettel were on equal standings. They were fighting for poles together and fighting for the win together. The gap between them has grown massively almost overnight.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th July 2013, 3:45

@patrickl

Having the occasional issue doesn’t merit a claim that it never works. Also, I doubt the car is to blame for the majority of bad starts Webber has had. It was after being advised to hold the throttle if he got wheelspin that he actually made a good one in Germany.

Yes, but what makes Webber’s so-called issues worthy of being “conspiracies”?

Vettel outqualified him 15-2 in 2009, and had double the poles in 2010. In addition, I don’t seem to remember Webber “fighting for the win” in those races that Vettel had unreliability from the lead (crashing in Australia, 8th in Bahrain). The gap between the two in 2010 did only appear close between Vettel and Webber because of Vettel’s errors, and Vettel’s far higher unreliability. Not to mention that Vettel was what, 22 at the start of 2010?

Again, people seem to look at Webber’s good 3-race patch in 2010 and can’t seem to let it go.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th July 2013, 10:27

It’s not an occasional problem. His KERS works less often than it does.

Vettel doesn’t have higher unreliability. Vettel’s fails were more visible perhaps, but not more often. Webber also suffered through team calls favoring Vettel. For instance, Webber could have won in Australia 2010, but they made him hold station behind Vettel and then wait another lap for his pitstop. Throwing him back to P10 or something.

Webber has always been hindered by the teams favor on Vettel, but it HAS gotten much much worse since Silverstone. There really is no escaping that.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th July 2013, 15:39

@patrickl – His KERS issues are exaggerated. Saying it “works less often than it does”, is an example of that.

In 2010 (when they were “close”) Vettel did have higher unreliability which certainly held him back. Since that, Vettel hasn’t necessarily had more unreliability than Webber, and that is a major part of why he is now able to show that he is further ahead.

And Webber hasn’t always been hindered- Hungary 2010 for instance, where Webber basically inherited the win after Vettel was asked to back up the field under the safety car. Even in Australia, the team had the same strategy for the pair, but Vettel once again, was on course to win, while Webber dropped down the order, then crashed.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th July 2013, 22:29

Alonso is talented, but when was the F2012 ever 2 seconds off the fropntrunning pace?

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 28th July 2013, 22:51

Austrailia. They were 1.5s off.

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 28th July 2013, 23:02

No, they were 1 second off in Australia. Unless you are going to compare Alonso’s Q2 time to Hamilton’s Q3 time, which would make zero sense to do. And incidentally, the RBs were seven tenths off the pace in quali in Australia.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th July 2013, 23:03

@beejis60 – 1.5 seconds off if you compare Alonso’s fastest Q2 time with Hamilton’s fastest Q3 time, which is not a fair comparison- Alonso spun off before the end of the session, and they always go faster in Q3.

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 28th July 2013, 22:58

God almighty, give me strength ……

Alonso’s car was “not 1.5 to 2 seconds slower than pole for most of the year.” People are entitled to their own opinions. They are not entitled to make up fake “facts” though.

At the rate this particular myth keeps growing, I expect to be reading sometime next year that “Alonso’s’ 2012 car was 15 to 20 seconds off the pole pace”.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 28th July 2013, 23:10

Hey, Alonso was the one who was saying he was 1.5s off the pace in Aussieville… I figured he ought to know the stats better than myself.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th July 2013, 23:30

Okay, but that was most likely an approximation, and one that only holds true if you assume that he couldn’t have gone faster if he didn’t make an error in Q2.

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 29th July 2013, 4:55

Hamilton was telling us how shockingly bad his car was in Germany, right before he took pole position. He then told us how shockingly bad his car was in Hungary, right before talking pole and the win.

It’s generally not a wise move to base your opinions on something a driver said about his car. Believe it or not, they’ve been known to tell some outrageous lies on that particular subject.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th July 2013, 3:02

Hamilton was talking about race pace though and he have poor pace on the long runs.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 29th July 2013, 0:09

Alonso managed to lose the [championship] by 3 points last year with a car that was 1.5 to 2 seconds slower than pole for most of the year.

Even when the Ferrari was at its worst its performance deficit was nothing like as big as that, and for most of the year it was far less, as explained here:

• Nathan (@il-ferrarista) said on 29th July 2013, 2:36

• tmax (@tmax) said on 29th July 2013, 3:04

+1 @keithcollantine Thanks for the clarification. It was Alonso for the PR stunt who kept on claiming that the car was slow.but otherwise the Ferrari caught up pretty well.

In fact the fastest car in 2012 was McLaren who with great dedication managed to squander their chances.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 29th July 2013, 3:51

Again, I’m just repeating what I’ve read and heard in interviews. If you want to nitpick over a half of a second and who knows more stats, by all means go for it. I’ll just try to remember to stay away when lap times are involved…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 29th July 2013, 9:04

@beejis60 I’m not “nitpicking over half a second”: You’re claiming Alonso’s car’s performance deficit last year was three to four times greater than it actually was – a huge exaggeration – without bothering to consider the facts.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 29th July 2013, 14:23

@beejis60 that is precisely why you do not pay such close attention to media interviews: obviously things are going to be exaggerated and misconstrued. It’s better to argue with the facts and the facts are that the Ferrari was actually fairly close to the Red Bull throughout the season and the McLaren was the quickest car on outright pace.

The rest is slightly subjective, but it appears on race pace the Ferrari was stronger than in qualifying so even the statistics based purely on lapttime have some leeway. I for one would argue based on the constructors championship the Ferrari was faster than the Lotus.

• Kimi4WDC said on 29th July 2013, 5:37

More like Red Bull and others decided to make it more exiting. It would have been a miracle if Alonso won 2012. And a Cinderella story if Hamilton did manage to come back after having a car that was supposed to win.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 29th July 2013, 15:45

@keithcollatine: I said only in Austrailia; that other dude said all season.
          @vettel1: Why bother with commenting on any of these stories then if they’re all exaggerated?

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 29th July 2013, 16:35

@beejis60 where have I said all stories are exaggerated? I said interview comments are usually exaggerated along with driver’s comments which is evidently accurate (by the case you have highlighted). All I’m saying is that you consequently cannot take them as factual.

The reason I comment is because I enjoy seeing other people’s perspective on things and to comment on developments and possible future developments in the sport. Also, I think it is important to make a distinction between fact and opinion which some people fail to recognise.

7. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 28th July 2013, 21:59

I want to see this, simply because I’m sick of Ferrari not living up to their potential. The days when McLaren and Ferrari ruled the roost are long gone. Neither seem to be able to put a complete year together any more, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it drive Alonso away.

I wonder though, if these rumours aren’t true, and Kimi ends up with the RBR seat, then will Lotus go for Alonso, knowing that he could well be unhappy with Ferrari? Obviously Alonso may want to see how teams fare with the new regs, but if Ferrari continue with their lack lustre performance, maybe he will move back to the Enstone team.

• Umar Farooq Khawaja said on 28th July 2013, 22:39

Personally, I doubt this news/rumor. Let’s not forget how Alonso ended up with the Ferrari seat. Obviously, part of it was that Ferrari wanted him, but there was also Santander. They paid Raikkonen $40-odd million to vacate the seat a year early and there’s no indication that Raikkonen was not keeping his end of the deal. I seem to remember he was dragging the car around by the scruff of its neck, which became quite obvious after Massa got injured. The point I am trying to make is that there’s a lot of money riding on the relationship between Ferrari/Santander/Alonso.

8. Valued Customer said on 28th July 2013, 22:02

What if we got it all wrong?
    Maybe Ferrari are sending Alonso to get info from RBR?

Remeber Ferrari would pay anything to have 1st hadn info on the design and works of a Red Bull F1!

9. Italian Rai is already giving it as a done deal to be announced around Monza.

10. tmax (@tmax) said on 29th July 2013, 3:10

In short this is a payback from Horner to Domenicalli and Luca for last year. Same time last year they Ferrari tried to disrupt the RBR balance by starting the Vettel to Maranello rumour. Vettel even spoke about it after wimming the WDC at Brazil. Now it is is time for Horner to give that back to Ferrari during the summer break. He does not miss such good chances that falls into his lap !!!!!!

Dietrich must be loving this…….. in a race which Lewis won….the positive talk of the Town is RBR for some totally different reason…

11. anon said on 29th July 2013, 4:09

Alonso will never race alongside Vettel. He vetoed a potential Vettel move to Ferrari.

Ferrari were strong again on the weekend, Alonso was not.

I can’t see Kimi getting the Red Bull seat either given his age, inconsistency throughout his career, never lit the world on fire as a qualifier, and has trouble as it is putting Grosjean away.

In all probability Kimi will perform slightly better than Ricciardo, but there’s no upside with Kimi.

• Kimi4WDC said on 29th July 2013, 5:45

Now just glancing over Kimi’s F1 Career results on wiki, make me absolutely certain you are talking out of you behind. This opinion is reinforced by the actually fan following he had through out his career and now.

It seems you are on an extreme side of the spectre when it come to forming an accurate opinion about a driver.

• anon said on 29th July 2013, 7:06

I’m not saying he’s a weak driver, just not in the same class as Vettel or Hamilton.

He had a Newey McLaren from 2002-2006, jumped into Schumacher’s seat at Ferrari in 2007, Massa basically matched him straight away and beat him in 2008 and 2009 up until the accident. None of the top teams wanted him, gets thrown a lifeline by Lotus and by sheer good timing he arrives at Lotus/Renault as they are put together a fast, really reliable car. Now he’s got a great car and not exactly converting on Saturday or Sunday. Kimi’s Saturday performances are killing Lotus.

As for inconsistency, he came to Ferrari as the highest paid driver in the sport and Massa matched him for pace in 2007 (Massa had worse reliability so was out of the championship hunt).

To me his stand out year was 2005, where he was let down by reliability and bad luck. 2003 was solid but he didn’t deserve to be in the championship hunt with only one win throughout the season.

Even this year (and last), there are races where he goes missing or Grosjean matches him for pace. Makes it hard to beat someone as fast and consistent as Vettel when you don’t beat Grosjean.

I see Raikkonen as one of the great underachievers, who had so many great cars in great teams with every resource at his disposal.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th July 2013, 3:07

Massa was nowhere near Raikkonen in 2007 and Raikkonen was way ahead of Massa before the messed him up with the new spec Ferrari. It worked for Massa and not for Raikkonen. When they switched back Raikkonen was faster than Massa again.

Problem was that Raikkonen was so far behind that he started taking too many risks. In hindsight he could have won Spa 2008 if he just let Hamilton go, but from his perspective at the time he “had” to beat Hamilton to win the title.

• Nathan (@il-ferrarista) said on 29th July 2013, 9:11

Out of many things to criticize in your post, the claim that takes the cake. Just take a little look at this quali lap at Monaco 2005, simply one of the most amazing laps at Monaco ever; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMc8qy6U1o0.
      Anyways his qualifyings at McLaren were mostly pretty good, all from 2002 to 2006. He bet Coulthard any day, anywhere.

Howewer, I agree with you that he was more or less much less raw at Ferrari, during saturdays _and_ sundays, therefore Massa was able to match and occasionally beat him. Really, an average Kimi is a very average driver, a Kimi on good form is stellar. And yes, during his Mclaren and Ferrari years he was much less consistent, many people do not remember this nowadays.

12. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 29th July 2013, 5:55

Reading through all the comments no one has mentioned anything about this little insight into Vettel’s thoughts. I suggests that Fernando hasn’t always been honest and up front with Vettel off track. Which isn’t a surprise, but what is a surprise, is that he thinks Kimi is different.

• I wonder you find that a surprise? While Kimi is doing his best to avoid the media he has always spoken his mind while he has never been bitching about anybody off track. I think Seb’s comment is a nice piece of insight.

13. Slava (@slava) said on 29th July 2013, 9:38

I changed my mind. I think Alonso has to retire at the end of this year. Ferrari doesn’t deserve him.
    We should rename this team to smth like “Red-Face Chatterboxes”. All they do now is talk-talk-talk.

If S. Ballmer was the CEO of Ferrari he would probably tell everyone “Terrible…Terrible…Terrible…Terrible…Terrible”.
    Alonso is wasting his time. There isn’t a single team that could hire him. The only right thing they can do is to fully discard their chances this year and try to develop a great next gen. car.
    If they try to fight I believe they will endanger not only 2014 season, but also 2015/16.

14. Steph (@stephanief1990) said on 29th July 2013, 16:10

This surpasses even the “Massa will be replaced by Sutil” rumour which floated around last season for absurdity. He has a (very long) contract and there are 2 strong candidates for the RBR drive already. So many F1 stories are 100% fantasy 0% based in fact. Watch him sign for them now.