Hamilton hails “important” first Mercedes win

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Nurburgring, 2013Lewis Hamilton says his first victory for Mercedes in today’s Hungarian Grand Prix was an important moment in his career.

“This is probably one of the most important wins of my grand prix career,” said Hamilton. “To move to a new team and to win for Mercedes-Benz is a real privilege.”

“The guys have done an exceptional job, I’m so glad I’m part of the team and I really couldn’t be happier,” he added. “I hope there’s many more to come.”

Hamilton said his win, which came on a day when Mercedes were expected to struggle in high ambient temperatures, was a positive sign for their chances in the championship:

“We’ve got to work hard. You never know how well the tyres are going to last elsewhere but if we can come here and make our tyres last then we should be able to do it anywhere so fingers crossed.”

He admitted to being surprised how well the car performed during the race: “We studied a lot last night, we were hoping that the tyres would work for us and we really had no idea it was going to go that well. The last 20 laps I was just managing the tyres and cruising.”

“I think you could tell I was hungry for it today,” Hamilton added after a race which hinged on crucial passes on Mark Webber and Jenson Button. “I was just going all out.

“I needed to get past those people and usually I get stuck in traffic, generally, in my races, and today I wasn’t having it, I was going for every move I had.”

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

14 comments on Hamilton hails “important” first Mercedes win

1. tmax (@tmax) said on 28th July 2013, 15:38

Wonderful win … Congrats Lewis….

Thanks to button for the incredible hold up of Vettel on his second stint. Otherwise he would have won this comfortably….

• MNM101 (@mnm101) said on 28th July 2013, 15:41

I followed the times the entire race, Merc were on par if not faster than Red Bull the entire time, I think Lewis would have won no matter what, but it wouldn’t have been that easy

• Jean-Christophe said on 28th July 2013, 17:30

There’s no guarantee that Vettel would have won comfortably. It’s not as if Hamilton did not have pace today.

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 28th July 2013, 19:46

That’s not thanks to Button, Hamilton also had to pass Button but he did it straight away while Vettel had some difficulties, that’s all and that’s what makes the difference over a grand prix. Hamilton also had to putt some important pass and he did it, all credit to him (and the car).

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th July 2013, 15:39

Not sure about its importance, although It must be good to have that first win for Mercedes under his belt, when his teammate has 3 already.

And its a good time in the season to do it as well, before the brake and at the half point of the season with power tracks to come that might suit them.

• MNM101 (@mnm101) said on 28th July 2013, 15:42

I expect Merc to win Spa and Monza comfortably, really comfortably

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 28th July 2013, 22:26

Erm….his teammate has 2 wins – Monaco & Silverstone. This win was more dominant than either of those two, with no other factors involved, on the hottest race so far – which makes it important as it means that Mercedes are finally sorting out thier tyre woes.

3. Candice said on 28th July 2013, 16:37

im surprise the Merc didn’t face any degradation on the hottest track.

Finally got the tire they could win on Sunday. Its gonna be pure domination from 2nd half of the season onwards.

4. Jason (@jason12) said on 28th July 2013, 18:21

Sintilating weekend from Lewis all-round.

Those overtakes!!!
    Seb can learn a thing or two from that.

Still can’t believe Redbull said ‘no’ to Lewis when he came knocking. They must have thought their car will be dominant forever, no need for a driver who can:
    – Drag a dog by the scruff of the neck
    – Overtake
    – Qualify

Well Seb would suffice for the last one, but the first two is also quite critical.