Lotus unhappy with Grosjean’s “very harsh” penalty

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Hungaroring, 2013Lotus team principal Eric Boullier criticised the drive-through penalty given to Romain Grosjean for his overtaking move on Felipe Massa on the outside of turn four during the race.

“I feel this penalty was a little bit too much,” said Boullier after the race. “He had nowhere to go, he was a little bit four wheels on the track, just for a couple of centimetres and obviously it’s very harsh, when you get such a penalty, to recover when you’re fighting for the podium.”

“The Ferrari is just next to him so he would have crashed or lose obviously most of the time,” Boullier added. “There is a clear rule, of course. Obviously it’s in our favour if there’s no penalty but I think the penalty itself is a bit harsh for that.”

The stewards ruled that: “In order to overtake car four [Massa], car eight [Grosjean] left the track. This overtaking move would not otherwise have been possible.”

Boullier appreciated the difficulty of the decision the stewards faced and said: “I have to pay tribute to them, to be honest, it’s difficult to draw the line, obviously.”

“It’s a harsh penalty for what we could say a brilliant move. In other situations it could be a normal penalty and understandable. But I will have a word with them when I’ve cooled down a little.”

Grosjean said he thought he had “at least two wheels on the white line on the track” when he made the move.

Boullier praised Grosjean’s performance in the race: “He obviously had high ambitions at the beginning of the race but this is a race and I was just telling him he did a super weekend again. Nothing wrong, no foot wrong, and two in a row now.”

“It means he understood what he built up since the beginning of the season and building up over last year as well. And clearly now I think he has the baseline to build a strong weekend like this and fight wit the kids like Kimi and Alonso and Vettel so that’s pretty good.”

Grosjean has also been summoned to see the stewards along with Jenson Button following contact between the two during the race.

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

66 comments on Lotus unhappy with Grosjean’s “very harsh” penalty

1. Candice said on 28th July 2013, 16:11

its FIA, what you expect??

• He took a penalty or the wrong action I think

• rambler said on 28th July 2013, 19:28

just for reference, did Perez or Button get any penalties for their wheel-rubbing in bahrain? When’s the last time someone got that?

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 28th July 2013, 19:50

Nope but McLaren won’t complain about McLaren … Here there must be a reclamation from Ferrari or something to launch a procedure.

• rambler said on 28th July 2013, 20:32

Yeah just like the Alonso vs Hamilton issues at Mclaren where one was penalized for cheating the other… Stewards shouldn’t take requests when it comes to rules.

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 28th July 2013, 19:55

@jeff1s Yep, I think the same. While it’s questionable between leaving the track or being pushed off the track by Massa which should let a car width (while Grosjean was already next or ahead of him), and the pass was really great there. Doesn’t deserve a penalty to me.
        But with the Button incident, he bumped into Button before continuing straight into the chicane without giving the position back. That deserves something… And he could have break in the inside and kept the position without bumping into Button, I’m pretty sure. Except that, excellent drive from Grosjean, unfortunate to have those little moments

• Loko said on 28th July 2013, 17:48

FIA and overtaking rules are complete joke.. And because of their huge failures through last decades, they had to introduce DRS. It would be totally unnecessary if they would be able to judge reasonable driving standards :-(

Vettel didnt get even warning when he was out of the track every second lap. And then Grosjean got penalty when Massa basically pushed him out of the track. I think Grosjean deserved penalty when he hit Button and when he cut chicane when passing Button (without giving pos back). But its just joke to give penalty because of that great overtaking manouver :-(

• CAB825 (@cab825) said on 28th July 2013, 20:06

+1 to that Loko

Vettel didnt get even warning when he was out of the track every second lap.

• Alex (@korbendallas) said on 29th July 2013, 14:19

@cab825 There’s a big difference between taking corners wide and not gaining an advantage (that’s why the astroturf is there) and completing a pass completely off the track then having the inside line for the next corner. Mainly that one is against the rules and the other isn’t.

• CAB825 (@cab825) said on 29th July 2013, 14:37

Can’t agree with that Alex, we constantly hear from the commentators (DC mostly) saying outside the lines is outside the track. We saw Vettel (in his last dash frustrations mostly), and others by the way, outside the track limits. I am not saying what is right or wrong or who should or should not be punished, just agreeing that leaving the track is not enforced as much as it should be. My understanding was that the only place it was considered OK was in Italy (not really OK but that the FIA turned a blind eye).

Let’s be clear (and honest), any car leaving the confines of the track is, potentially, gaining an advantage (in raw lap time) but the rules are only enforced when there is a glaringly obvious advantage gained during an overtake (like we saw on the weekend).

I do not see how there is a difference between the two and don’t know why it is not enforced (maybe it can’t be, don’t have the FIA regs at hand).

It all creates some exciting racing though (and something to talk about).

• Loko said on 29th July 2013, 15:22

Isnt it against rules to push other out of the track? Well, its FIA so it isnt.. Grosjean stayed beside Massa throught the corner so.. If we used some common sense, Massa should have leave room on exit. But its FIA & F1 so he can just push other guy out and that other guy get penaltized :-D

2. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 28th July 2013, 16:16

Tough luck. It was harsh…

But I’d be unhappier with the way Grosjean f’ed himself up so unnecessarily by ploughing into JB… There I was talking with a friend about how confident RoGro looked today, and much well he was attacking Vettel, and bang…!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th July 2013, 16:24

Pretty much that @fer-no65!

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 28th July 2013, 16:55

@Fer-no65 Wouldn’t you call that cutting him off and causing Jenson to plow into his Lotus thus “ploughing into Grosjean”? I still say it is Grosjeans fault but I’d call it cutting Jenson off, and I feel the irritation comes from driving off track and making up position, rather than being called up after the race for contact with the McLaren. Either way Grosjean has some amazing moves and then some not so amazing, and that is what really seems to hurt his chances at a win.

3. R.J. O'Connell (@rjoconnell) said on 28th July 2013, 16:28

I’d wager it was meted out mostly because of reputation.

4. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 28th July 2013, 16:28

Grosjean deserved a penalty for the incident with Button..his pass on Massa was outside the rules, but only by a bit..

5. tmax (@tmax) said on 28th July 2013, 16:31

I second… it was definitely a harsh one…..

6. Felidae (@felidae) said on 28th July 2013, 16:33

I remember Nico Hulkenberg passing two cars last year in Korea while his car was completely outside the whites lines. Those two cars where the McLaren from Lewis Hamilton and ironically the Lotus from Romain Grosjean.

Nobody from the stewards did ask a question about it of gave a penalty.

• Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 28th July 2013, 17:00

FIA = Ferrari International Assistance
      It’s a known fact that the FIA pays attention to penalise every wrong deed done against Ferrari. If it’s against antoher team, the penalties are less systematic, and less harsh I have the impression.

7. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 28th July 2013, 16:36

I my view, he should have been penalised for his move on Jenson.

I think maybe a drive through is a little harsh, considering he was only about 10cm over the white line. I know you have to draw the line somewhere, but that’s such a difficult corner when your by yourself, let alone side-by-side at 150mph.

I think he should have gotten a reprimand for his “deemed illegal overtake”, and should definitely be penalised for pushing JB off the track.

• ^Mo^ said on 28th July 2013, 16:49

His incident with Button is still under investigation, this is a separate incident. And I disagree about the harshness. It doesn’t matter whether you’re 1cm, 10cm or 1m over the line. He was fully over the line and therefore outside of the boundaries of the circuit. They all know the rules and he really should’ve returned the position. And it really doesn’t matter whether it’s a difficult corner, or whether he was forced to do so by lack of space.

• q85 said on 28th July 2013, 18:03

so why does no one get a penalty for going over the white lines after an overtake at the chicane at canada, they all do it.

Why dont they get pens when they do it on their own, its still gaining an advantage. The race result is who gets the end of the 70 laps in the quickest time will all cars starting on the track at the same time. It should make no difference if you gain an advantage while another car is with 10meters of you or if you totally alone. Time gained outside of the rules should be punished regardless.

• Michael Brown (@) said on 28th July 2013, 18:42

The FIA will tell drivers when it’s acceptable to go off the track, like Monza.

8. ^Mo^ said on 28th July 2013, 16:40

Grosjean left the track while overtaking Massa and never returned the position. What did they expect at Lotus? A slap on the wrist? If he had returned the position, there wouldn’t have been an issue; except he didn’t, hence the penalty.

9. MarcusAurelius (@marcusaurelius) said on 28th July 2013, 16:44

What? I thought is was for the move on Button where he did shortcut the chicane. This one was pretty awesome and nowhere near the gain he had in the chicane with Button.

10. Rui (@ruicaridade) said on 28th July 2013, 16:50

Did he infringe the rules or not? If so it wasn’t harsh it was the right thing to do.
    Grosjean won’t learn.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 28th July 2013, 16:57

@ruicaridade Yes he broke the rules

20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
      A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.
      Should a car leave the track the driver may rejoin, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage.
      A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.

• Merv (@) said on 28th July 2013, 17:15

Well Massa’s endplate was in-between Grosjean’s LF and LR tyre, justification enough.

• Loko said on 29th July 2013, 0:34

And Vettel is consistently breaking that rule. Its silly its ok to go out of the track when you are alone but if some one push you out of the track, you get penalty :-D

11. mattshaw85 (@mattshaw85) said on 28th July 2013, 17:51

I suppose for the button incident he deserved the penalty – but as a principle I don’t like penalties for silly things like that. What’s the point? Deters drivers from taking risks in my opinion. Perhaps some would say that a good thing.

12. Alesici (@alesici) said on 28th July 2013, 17:57

This is a joke. I really want to know who the nominated ex-driver who was assisting the stewards was – he clearly deserves the sack. Merv’s response above is spot on for why it was within the rules – the “justifiable reason” allowed for in the rules was that Grosjean wanted to stay alive! If they had touched wheels, it could have been a massive accident at the speed they were doing – about 130mph I think. So this ruling effectively enforces what would instead have been very dangerous driving, as he would have had to cut up Massa – making it almost impossible to avoid an accident between two cars in such a narrow, tight radius, high speed kink like this one. So if the steward’s decision wasn’t in aid of safety, then was it instead for fairness? I thought it was the finest execution of an overtake I’ve seen all year, he was clearly ahead by the apex, and was skillful enough to not take Massa out, so surely he deserved the position?

To add further insult, if you watch on I think lap 57, Vettel took that corner on his own, and with all 4 tyres went over and past the white line exactly the same distance as Grosjean had, and on that lap set the fastest lap of the race up to that point. He both gained an advantage and had no justifiable reason to leave the circuit. Anthony Davidson confirmed his going over the line post race, but sadly didn’t show it again. He also said he’d seen Webber do it too.

Incidentally, I agree over Grosjean’s penalty with Button – sadly it was a clumsy error by him.

• Michael (@freelittlebirds) said on 28th July 2013, 18:03

It was McNish. I really like the guy but I don’t understand this.

I disagree about the penalty with Button – that was completely a racing incident. Button actually turned into Grosjean and I definitely do NOT believe that Button would have deserved a penalty for such a small infraction.

It wasn’t like Massa’s turns into Hamilton in 2011 for which sadly Hamilton was penalized although Massa could clearly have avoided the incident or closed the opening earlier to defend…

• xlr8r (@xlr8r) said on 28th July 2013, 19:24

That was the most ridiculous;y undeserved penalty I have seen in F1. That was about the closest I have come to throwing the remote at the TV, and I am not even a Grosean fan. I expect better from McNish, but after this I have lost a lot of respect for him. McNish has gone beyond the outside of the track for passes before. Even Massa now says that the penalty was undeserved.

13. Michael (@freelittlebirds) said on 28th July 2013, 18:00

Unless the FIA can produce a picture of Grosjean with 4 wheels off the track, then they need to face investigation because Grosjean was the only driver capable of beating Lewis today as everyone on NBC Sports said. As much as I wanted Lewis to win – it’s been 8 months if since his last victory, it is unconscionable for the stewards to interfere with such a gutsy pass.

If the FIA wants passes to only occur in the DRS zone, then they need to make that a rule and that’s the day we can all stop watching F1.

What is the penalty for costing a driver the chance at his 1st and possibly only F1 victory? I am a huge critic of Grosjean but this was ridiculous. The poor guy can’t catch a break – he drove brilliantly today.

• Michael Brown (@) said on 28th July 2013, 18:44

Do you think the stewards should have looked the other way because Grosjean could have won his first race?

• Michael (@freelittlebirds) said on 28th July 2013, 20:45

Doesn’t the car nedd to have all 4 wheels for it to be a penalty? If the car’s 2 wheels are in, then the stewards should not be giving fake penalties.

14. Slr (@slr) said on 28th July 2013, 18:10

I agree with both of Grosjean’s penalties. The overtake on Massa was clearly illegal with Grosjean having all four wheels off the track, I don’t see how anyone can argue against that.

The incident with Button was just another example of Grosjean being careless whilst in wheel-to-wheel combat, he tried to cut in front of Button but he didn’t look to see where he was.

• Daniel (@collettdumbletonhall) said on 28th July 2013, 20:37

He wasn’t given enough space by Massa to have wheels on the track and he was only millimetres off. Given the context (blind corner and lack of space) it’s not worthy of any penalty.

15. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 28th July 2013, 18:43

On the drive-through, I think Grosjean can feel very aggrieved. The alternative would have been to turn into Massa or lift off in a place the other driver would not be expecting, both with the potential to cause a colossal accident. While Grosjean may have gained an advantage, and broken the rules, it’s one of these things where giving a slap on the wrists would have been appropriate. If you penalise every minor breach of the rules like that you would be handing out an insane number of penalties every weekend (like how Hamilton may have overtaken Webber by driving him off the road late on) and the whole thing would be a farce.

On the flipside, the collision with Button was daft at best and very reminiscent of the chop on Hamilton that triggered the shunt at Spa last year which earned him a race ban. It’s not so much that there was any intent to take Button out, he just seemed to assume that Button would vaporise on the spot. The resulting collision was entirely avoidable, and though a drive through may have been harsh considering it had little effect on either of their races I would have entirely understood the decision to award one. As it is, a 20 second penalty amounts to about the same thing.

• Webbo (@webbo82) said on 30th July 2013, 10:58

I second any call for the Massa move to receive a reprimand only – it was a brave move executed without contact and he even had room to spare. For me, if Massa had been 2 wheels over the line himself, then fair enough – but the replays suggest GRO could’ve been more on the track and that MAS wasn’t squeezing. GRO is only going to feel victimised from this and that he can’t put a foot right.

However, I see the BUT move as the passing driver intimidating once past. ALO has done this and come very close to pitching other drivers off – see Canada this year and I think in Germany. Like HAM a few years ago in Spa lapping one of the Saubers. It must be shut down and hard imo. The rule should be changed to stop passing drivers steering the wrong way on entry to a corner.