Mercedes simulate F1 engine noise at Monza in 2014

2014 F1 season

Mercedes have released the latest simulation of what Formula One cars will sound like after new engine regulations come into force next year.

Teams will switch from the current normally aspirated, 2.4-litre V8 engines to 1.6-litre trubocharged V6 engines. Uprated Energy Recovery Systems will replace the current KERS.

The new power units are expected to have comparable power outputs to the current engines, but use significantly less fuel.

Mercedes say the video provides “the most accurate impression so far of how the new Power Units will sound in 2014, with a maximum rev limit of 15,000 rpm and a single turbocharger spinning at speeds of up to 125,000 rpm”. It shows a video lap of Monza on the team’s simulator synchronised to an audio recording of one of its development V6s.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

122 comments on Mercedes simulate F1 engine noise at Monza in 2014

1 2 3
  1. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:02

I really like it; in fact, I’d say the noise of the thing (which many people are going to be attacking) is almost as good as the current V8 engines.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 2nd August 2013, 13:00

While it doesn’t sound as bad as I thought, “almost as good as the current V8s” is nothing to gloat about. The V8s sound rubbish.

My biggest worry is that it sounds like a GP2 car. It’s like you FEEL the imposed limit in revs, and you FEEL it could be a lot better, and a lot more exciting…

• I still don’t buy this could be the actual situation. Allianz could very well pull away their sponsorships for Monza, 2014. And Pirelli may not have a contract, Mercedes has assumed too many things.
      Oh and there would be a car between them wheels.
      ~

2. specialk69 (@specialk69) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:03

Sounds good to me (and perhaps only me…)

It will be interesting to hear them being simulated on the F1 2014 game! :)

3. Sounds fine to me. Sounds like an engine. Sounds fact, sounds powerful. Though I’m rubbish a telling any difference anyway. After 2 races we’ll all be used to it and it won’t matter if it didn’t sound like before.

Worried about the lack of nosecone and suspension though.

4. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:29

The sound will only be better when they actually put in a car and get it round the track. The dyno room at the factory probably isnt the best for acoustics.

Sounds great to me….like a F1 engine. Quite high pitched.

I was looking forward to watching these guys round Melbourne next year…too bad some other commitments have got in the way…

• Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 4th August 2013, 2:56

Taht’s what I was thinking too, this is no way to tell how the engine will really sound. I’ve seen people on other, less f1-fanatical, forums rubbish this video, and not without reason. It does sound a bit like a vacuum cleaner, and when coupled with a computer-game like visual, it’s not really winning 2014 any fans.

5. Ivan (@masaivan) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:35

Very long 7th gear, will they use 8th gear gearbox.

6. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:38

My only major complaint about the noise is that it sounds too placid on downshifts (there’s almost no noise) but besides that it sounds perfectly fine to me – I’d happily trade the much greater sophistication for a slightly timid downshift!

• hey (@hey) said on 2nd August 2013, 18:32

It’ll be a great start at Monza. A cacophony of engine noise at the start, followed by near silence as they brake for the chicane, followed by another burst of noise. Why make noise when you can harvest energy? T’is the future!

7. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:43

I like it, sounds almost jet-like. That being said I do feel that in the slow corners there’s almost no sound at all. Still, i’d let that slide because I am sure other things will make up for that.

8. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:58

I was hoping for some turbo-whining beast, this is underwhelming. I just hope they are still theatre loud, clearly the scream will become a thing of the past :(

9. Dave (@raceprouk) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:01

I’m not convinced on the sound if I’m honest – sounds a bit too ordinary and nondescript. Doesn’t scream like the current V8s.

10. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:07

I read on BBC the other day that these engines will have about 850 hp (with ERS) so they will be about 100 hp more powerful then current engines. And I think that’s good, because more power and less downforce will destabilize balance of F1 cars and overtaking will be easier. I also think that it’d be good to get rid of DRS for next year or at leats try to experiment and not use it in some races.

11. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:15

I must admit that after hearing the Renault engine, I was close to tears. I may even have uttered the words, “maybe WEC will be the pinnacle of motorsport in 2014″, however what this video proves is just how huge a drama queen. Hearing the whole rev range I am pleasantly surprised, and I have to say that I really rather like the noise. OK, it’s too quiet on downshift, it could be higher pitched and could do with a volume boost all round, but even after loosing two cylinders and installing things as satanic as turbos, F1 is still sounding rather nice.

12. paulguitar (@paulguitar) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:19

Sounds pretty pathetic, frankly.
    Let’s hope that it is very loud, as the new low rev-limit makes things sound very dull.
    They should go back to V-12’s, in my opinion…….:)

13. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:22

What worries me is rather the lack of any spectator around the track… I mean, seeing a pair of front wheels tearing the track by themselves while producing such a noise is quite a show: I would have turned up there virtually if i had known…

14. Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:28

I really quite like it. Yes, it’s different, but I expect it will take a lot less getting used to than the 2009 wide front wing/stupidly narrow rear wing, or the dropped noses of last year.

Infact, I’m still not quite over the rear wings yet.

15. Roald (@roald) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:34

I don’t think they used 8th gear, did they? It’s only going to sound better on the race track, a dyno usually makes an engine sound less good. And still I like it!

Will be good not to have engines hitting the rev limiter anymore on every straight there is.

• 8th gear?

• Roald (@roald) said on 2nd August 2013, 11:01

@gdewilde Mandetory, 8 gears from next year on.

• Roald (@roald) said on 2nd August 2013, 11:02

Mandatory*

• JimG (@jimg) said on 2nd August 2013, 16:41

If the new engines will have more torque, why do they need more gears? Is the power band going to be narrower? Sounds like an odd setup, but I expect they have their reasons.

• Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 2nd August 2013, 20:24

@JimG The ratios will be fixed for the whole year, with only final drive ratio adjustable. I have no idea why, to be honest. Durability of gearboxes? That could tie in with the increased torque. It would be tempting to push the limits when making cogs that will only be used at one track, but if the design must be reliable the whole year, you’d err on the side of caution. That doesn’t answer why they need eight though… any help?

• @splittimes I was under the impression it was a cost issue to prevent teams using expensive simulation equipment to suss out the ideal ratios. I imagine it was mainly to add a new tactical element to the seasons though – if you’ve got nothing to lose, do you just optimise your gearing for Monza in the vain hope of scoring good points?

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:46

I believe they did: coming up to the first corner, the driver’s in eighth gear, then downshifts six times to second gear.

16. karter22 (@karter22) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:46

I like it, it´s different but I still feel like we are being robbed of the high pitch… It feels like it still has some “whine” to go. It´s almost anti-climatic but this definitely sounds much better than the Renault. I guess we´ll have to wait to hear it on track.

@keithcollantine

The W05 is a radical beast.

Have you seen pics of it already? If so, please share a link!

17. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:58

To me it sounds like it’s constantly short-shifting, presumably because the rev limiter is something like 4,000 rpm less than what I’m used to. But other than that I like it.

I’m a big fan of the idea of the new engines anyway, so even if it did sound terrible (which it doesn’t) I would still be happy with it. The fact that we haven’t seen a car maker join F1 for more than 10 years is a real testament to just how irrelevant the current engines are. Honda have already announced an F1 return which goes to show that the new V6s are an enourmous step in the right direction. They’ll be the first of many, I’m sure.

• Roald (@roald) said on 2nd August 2013, 11:15

Afraid not, because the engine development will gradually be frozen again. There’s free development allowed throughout 2014, restricted in the first few years after that. A certain amount of points is assigned to to every piece of engine and only a certain amount of points can be “spent” on engine development each year, with the amount of points being reduced every year. I think by 2018 the engine development will be frozen again, just like we have now. So Honda has just enough time to keep up with development of the others, but there’s no chance other manufacturers will want to enter F1 with an engine they can only work so little on while the competition is lightyears ahead of them. It’s the dumbest thing ever really.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 2nd August 2013, 16:32

I believe it’s frozen from 2014-2018, only allowed to fix/update spots of unreliability like piston rings, wrist pins, con-rods, etc.

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 2nd August 2013, 17:18

Sounds like Honda should absolutely blitz it for development before they enter in 2015 then.

• Roald (@roald) said on 2nd August 2013, 19:48

@beejis60 Afraid not, there’s less development spoints to be spent every year until there’s a freeze again in 2018. Look it up. The biggest mistake ever if you want to attract manufacturers.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 2nd August 2013, 20:11

Good to know… I thought it was fully frozen until 2018, updates allowed at that time, then refrozen. I found the quote from Sam Michael saying it’s gradually frozen up to 2018; that’s probably what I read and obviously misunderstood it.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 2nd August 2013, 20:12

I mean Michael Schmidt… getting my letters and names mixed up

• Dizzy said on 2nd August 2013, 11:20

Rev-Limit is 15,000rpm on the new power units so 3,000 less than today.

For reference, Indycar’s rev-limit on there V6 Turbo engine’s is 12,0000rpm.
      Honda (Single Turbo)-
      Chevrolet (Twin-Turbo)-

18. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 2nd August 2013, 11:15

Better than I expected, but still, it is not looking (or better, sounding) good.

19. S Cordova said on 2nd August 2013, 11:16

Sounds like my dentist’s office

1 2 3