Mercedes simulate F1 engine noise at Monza in 2014

2014 F1 season

Mercedes have released the latest simulation of what Formula One cars will sound like after new engine regulations come into force next year.

Teams will switch from the current normally aspirated, 2.4-litre V8 engines to 1.6-litre trubocharged V6 engines. Uprated Energy Recovery Systems will replace the current KERS.

The new power units are expected to have comparable power outputs to the current engines, but use significantly less fuel.

Mercedes say the video provides “the most accurate impression so far of how the new Power Units will sound in 2014, with a maximum rev limit of 15,000 rpm and a single turbocharger spinning at speeds of up to 125,000 rpm”. It shows a video lap of Monza on the team’s simulator synchronised to an audio recording of one of its development V6s.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

122 comments on Mercedes simulate F1 engine noise at Monza in 2014

1 2 3 4
  1. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:02

I really like it; in fact, I’d say the noise of the thing (which many people are going to be attacking) is almost as good as the current V8 engines.

2. specialk69 (@specialk69) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:03

Sounds good to me (and perhaps only me…)

It will be interesting to hear them being simulated on the F1 2014 game! :)

3. Sounds fine to me. Sounds like an engine. Sounds fact, sounds powerful. Though I’m rubbish a telling any difference anyway. After 2 races we’ll all be used to it and it won’t matter if it didn’t sound like before.

Worried about the lack of nosecone and suspension though.

4. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:29

The sound will only be better when they actually put in a car and get it round the track. The dyno room at the factory probably isnt the best for acoustics.

Sounds great to me….like a F1 engine. Quite high pitched.

I was looking forward to watching these guys round Melbourne next year…too bad some other commitments have got in the way…

• Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 4th August 2013, 2:56

Taht’s what I was thinking too, this is no way to tell how the engine will really sound. I’ve seen people on other, less f1-fanatical, forums rubbish this video, and not without reason. It does sound a bit like a vacuum cleaner, and when coupled with a computer-game like visual, it’s not really winning 2014 any fans.

5. Ivan (@masaivan) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:35

Very long 7th gear, will they use 8th gear gearbox.

6. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:38

My only major complaint about the noise is that it sounds too placid on downshifts (there’s almost no noise) but besides that it sounds perfectly fine to me – I’d happily trade the much greater sophistication for a slightly timid downshift!

• hey (@hey) said on 2nd August 2013, 18:32

It’ll be a great start at Monza. A cacophony of engine noise at the start, followed by near silence as they brake for the chicane, followed by another burst of noise. Why make noise when you can harvest energy? T’is the future!

7. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:43

I like it, sounds almost jet-like. That being said I do feel that in the slow corners there’s almost no sound at all. Still, i’d let that slide because I am sure other things will make up for that.

8. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 2nd August 2013, 9:58

I was hoping for some turbo-whining beast, this is underwhelming. I just hope they are still theatre loud, clearly the scream will become a thing of the past :(

9. Dave (@raceprouk) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:01

I’m not convinced on the sound if I’m honest – sounds a bit too ordinary and nondescript. Doesn’t scream like the current V8s.

10. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:07

I read on BBC the other day that these engines will have about 850 hp (with ERS) so they will be about 100 hp more powerful then current engines. And I think that’s good, because more power and less downforce will destabilize balance of F1 cars and overtaking will be easier. I also think that it’d be good to get rid of DRS for next year or at leats try to experiment and not use it in some races.

11. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:15

I must admit that after hearing the Renault engine, I was close to tears. I may even have uttered the words, “maybe WEC will be the pinnacle of motorsport in 2014″, however what this video proves is just how huge a drama queen. Hearing the whole rev range I am pleasantly surprised, and I have to say that I really rather like the noise. OK, it’s too quiet on downshift, it could be higher pitched and could do with a volume boost all round, but even after loosing two cylinders and installing things as satanic as turbos, F1 is still sounding rather nice.

12. paulguitar (@paulguitar) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:19

Sounds pretty pathetic, frankly.
    Let’s hope that it is very loud, as the new low rev-limit makes things sound very dull.
    They should go back to V-12’s, in my opinion…….:)

13. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:22

What worries me is rather the lack of any spectator around the track… I mean, seeing a pair of front wheels tearing the track by themselves while producing such a noise is quite a show: I would have turned up there virtually if i had known…

14. Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:28

I really quite like it. Yes, it’s different, but I expect it will take a lot less getting used to than the 2009 wide front wing/stupidly narrow rear wing, or the dropped noses of last year.

Infact, I’m still not quite over the rear wings yet.

15. Roald (@roald) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:34

I don’t think they used 8th gear, did they? It’s only going to sound better on the race track, a dyno usually makes an engine sound less good. And still I like it!

Will be good not to have engines hitting the rev limiter anymore on every straight there is.

1 2 3 4