Mercedes simulate F1 engine noise at Monza in 2014

2014 F1 season

Mercedes have released the latest simulation of what Formula One cars will sound like after new engine regulations come into force next year.

Teams will switch from the current normally aspirated, 2.4-litre V8 engines to 1.6-litre trubocharged V6 engines. Uprated Energy Recovery Systems will replace the current KERS.

The new power units are expected to have comparable power outputs to the current engines, but use significantly less fuel.

Mercedes say the video provides “the most accurate impression so far of how the new Power Units will sound in 2014, with a maximum rev limit of 15,000 rpm and a single turbocharger spinning at speeds of up to 125,000 rpm”. It shows a video lap of Monza on the team’s simulator synchronised to an audio recording of one of its development V6s.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

122 comments on Mercedes simulate F1 engine noise at Monza in 2014

1. karter22 (@karter22) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:46

I like it, it´s different but I still feel like we are being robbed of the high pitch… It feels like it still has some “whine” to go. It´s almost anti-climatic but this definitely sounds much better than the Renault. I guess we´ll have to wait to hear it on track.

@keithcollantine

The W05 is a radical beast.

Have you seen pics of it already? If so, please share a link!

2. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 2nd August 2013, 10:58

To me it sounds like it’s constantly short-shifting, presumably because the rev limiter is something like 4,000 rpm less than what I’m used to. But other than that I like it.

I’m a big fan of the idea of the new engines anyway, so even if it did sound terrible (which it doesn’t) I would still be happy with it. The fact that we haven’t seen a car maker join F1 for more than 10 years is a real testament to just how irrelevant the current engines are. Honda have already announced an F1 return which goes to show that the new V6s are an enourmous step in the right direction. They’ll be the first of many, I’m sure.

• Roald (@roald) said on 2nd August 2013, 11:15

Afraid not, because the engine development will gradually be frozen again. There’s free development allowed throughout 2014, restricted in the first few years after that. A certain amount of points is assigned to to every piece of engine and only a certain amount of points can be “spent” on engine development each year, with the amount of points being reduced every year. I think by 2018 the engine development will be frozen again, just like we have now. So Honda has just enough time to keep up with development of the others, but there’s no chance other manufacturers will want to enter F1 with an engine they can only work so little on while the competition is lightyears ahead of them. It’s the dumbest thing ever really.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 2nd August 2013, 16:32

I believe it’s frozen from 2014-2018, only allowed to fix/update spots of unreliability like piston rings, wrist pins, con-rods, etc.

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 2nd August 2013, 17:18

Sounds like Honda should absolutely blitz it for development before they enter in 2015 then.

• Roald (@roald) said on 2nd August 2013, 19:48

@beejis60 Afraid not, there’s less development spoints to be spent every year until there’s a freeze again in 2018. Look it up. The biggest mistake ever if you want to attract manufacturers.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 2nd August 2013, 20:11

Good to know… I thought it was fully frozen until 2018, updates allowed at that time, then refrozen. I found the quote from Sam Michael saying it’s gradually frozen up to 2018; that’s probably what I read and obviously misunderstood it.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 2nd August 2013, 20:12

I mean Michael Schmidt… getting my letters and names mixed up

• Dizzy said on 2nd August 2013, 11:20

Rev-Limit is 15,000rpm on the new power units so 3,000 less than today.

For reference, Indycar’s rev-limit on there V6 Turbo engine’s is 12,0000rpm.
      Honda (Single Turbo)-
      Chevrolet (Twin-Turbo)-

3. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 2nd August 2013, 11:15

Better than I expected, but still, it is not looking (or better, sounding) good.

4. S Cordova said on 2nd August 2013, 11:16

Sounds like my dentist’s office

5. maxthecat said on 2nd August 2013, 11:26

Awful, truly awful. :(

6. Sounds like a leaf blower, horrible.

7. I don’t like it. I want my 20k rpm back. I almost fell asleep listening to this pathetic 15k street car sound. Sorry.

8. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 2nd August 2013, 12:04

Awful.
    As was the v8 compared to the v10.
    But half a loaf is better than no bread I guess?

Starting from 2014 each spectator will be given ear trumpets.
    And one day they will race on bikes – the ultimate eco-friendly monoplace vehicle – for some tremendous 5 laps in 2 hours while playing old v12 sounds through speakers all around the circuit.
    Oh I can’t wait any longer …

9. Michael Brown (@) said on 2nd August 2013, 12:08

I thought it sounded pretty badass.

10. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 2nd August 2013, 12:50

I only hope that because it’s a simulation it’s less than accurate. It sounds a bit digitally. I’ve higher hopes for the real turbos.

11. pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 2nd August 2013, 12:53

Sounds rubbish.

12. Rooney (@rojov123) said on 2nd August 2013, 12:59

I really don’t understand those people who keeps saying that they like the new engine sound. It might be only me, but I prefer the kind of sound that makes your heart thump when an F1 car races by. This sounded so much more… lower, refined and pretty. With the new engine, when you are physically on the track, the noise levels will be nothing compared to this year’s cars. The sounds are an integral part of F1. Please don’t take it away from us.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 2nd August 2013, 14:45

Pitch of the engine and the rpm have nothing to do with how loud the engine is. In years gone by, when you had the screaming V12s in the Aston Martin GT cars, they’d wail on by with a lovely tone, but would be absolutely drowned out by the 5,000rpm thunder of the Corvette’s. Those cars would shake the grandstands and make your teeth rattle.

There’s nothing in this video that gives you any idea whatsoever of how loud the cars will be when you’re standing trackside. Even in terms of how it’s going to sound on the TV, it’s just an approximation because of the operating environment and the limitations that creates.

13. Valhyre (@ausuma) said on 2nd August 2013, 13:29

Renault and Merc engines sound god-awful.
    Ferrari is the truly last hope for a proper engine with character.

14. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 2nd August 2013, 14:16

Based on this they could sound like a swarm of angry bees, but I’ll wait until I’ve heard one from outside the car.

The lap’s about 1min 23 though, so it’s quick.

And I see it’s not using Michelins…