Sutil has ‘lost respect’ for Hamilton

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Adrian Sutil, Force India, Bahrain, 2013In the round-up: Adrian Sutil says he has lost respect for Lewis Hamilton in their rift over Sutil’s trial last year.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Adrian Sutil (GP Week, subscription required)

“These kind of people I don’t really respect. I respect [Hamilton] as a sportsman here, but in private he’s not on my level and I don’t need to waste time with those people.”

Dad is my driving force, says Lewis as Brit ace takes break from F1 with rap star (Daily Mail)

“‘It was just I wanted to go back to the time where we just father and son go karting you know, having fun and enjoying ourselves,’ said Hamilton of the decision to drop his father as manager.”

Whitmarsh doubts big increase (Sky)

“Personally I don’t think there will be more than 20 next year, but it is for others to speculate on which races will be on the calendar.”

‘I’m here and I plan to stay’ (ESPN)

Monisha Kaltenborn: “We focused on getting our deal done. We’ve been working with these partners now for a while and because of the extent and the scope of this deal we knew that it would take a while. It’s something new for both sides so we didn’t really get too much impressed or disturbed by what was being written.”

Pirelli: Mercedes win not due to tyres (Autosport)

Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery: “It was a surprise to us. It was hot for everybody, everyone was suffering. It was all about temperature going in, nothing to do with the tyre; it was the heat going into the tyre – you can do what you want with the tyre, it doesn’t affect the heat going in.”

Russian GP promoters reach an agreement with RAF (International The News)

“The promoters of the Russian Grand Prix said Monday they have managed to resolve their contradictions with the Russian Automobile Federation (RAF) concerning the staging of the next year’s event.”

Formula One Joins Legoland in Plan to Remake Malaysia?s South (Bloomberg)

“Singapore billionaire Peter Lim is partnering with UEM Sunrise Bhd, which is majority owned by state-run Malaysian investment firm Khazanah Nasional Bhd, to build a motor sports complex with a Formula One-compliant test track in Iskandar.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@JayMenon10 believes the writing is on the wall for Felipe Massa:

It’s a new formula next year, perhaps Luca di Montezemolo should look to start afresh?

Massa has been given enough time to pick himself up. He is clearly not able to pull consistent results. If Alonso needs to finish ahead of him in all the races fine, but then he needs to be in the next position, which he almost never is.

Age has caught up with him. I doubt any other team in F1 will want him, well for starters nobody would be able to afford him. He should make a graceful exit from F1, there are plenty of other racing categories he can explore, America is definitely an option.

There is enough talent out the to replace Massa. Jules Bianchi will be a quite obvious, but something tells me it will be Nico Hulkenberg.
@JayMenon10

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to 1992 world champion Nigel Mansell who turns 60 today.

Here’s Mansell putting a famous pass on Ayrton Senna to score a superb win at the Hungaroring in 1989, having started 12th on the grid in his Ferrari:

Image ?? Force India

184 comments on Sutil has ‘lost respect’ for Hamilton

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th August 2013, 9:03

German press is reporting that the Sauber deal with the Russians is very shaky and not signed off by Putin yet, while a deadline from Ferrari to pay 8 million (of a total owned 18 Million) for engines before the start of the summer break has not been fulfilled

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 8th August 2013, 12:17

Bwuh? So, who do Ferrari owe money to? Themselves?

• @mazdachris I believe it is Sauber that owe Ferrari money for their engines ;)

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th August 2013, 13:12

yes, @mazdachris, as @vettel1 mentions, its Sauber owing Ferrari 18 million for engines (which accidentally also means that paying about 22 for next year is NOT an increase by 50% as stated by some arguing against them).

Ferrari should have received that money up front, but gave Sauber until the start of the summer break to pay the first installment of 8 Million

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 8th August 2013, 13:23

Indeed, I misread your post. F1 really does depress me sometimes that it’s so unwilling to just get its act together and have all parties working in the common interest of the sport. This absurd situation where you have the CRH (who the layperson just thinks is the person who is ‘in charge’ of F1) doing his best to convince people that the new engine formula is a disaster, is just incomprehensible.

THe new engines are great. More powerful than the old ones, sound brilliant, don’t cost the earth, and genuinely put F1 back at the pinnacle of motorsport. But because certain parties have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, rather than F1 collectively celebrating what is, at its core, a long overdue step, we have to put up wiht this baffling display. Baffling enough to us that follow the sport closely – to the average person it’s incredibly damaging for the image of the sport.

Anyway, I do hope that Sauber can sort things out. While I don’t feel great about this Russian deal, I think that Sauber are a genuinely important and unique team within the sport. The little team that could. With one of the nicest guys in motorsports at the helm.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 8th August 2013, 16:18

I too was confused when seeing Sauber owed that much as I believe earlier articles were saying this years engines were costing something like 8-12M…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th August 2013, 7:46

I think the difference between the two numbers is because its only the engine itself that costs 8-12 Million (Ferrari likely to be rather closer to the upper number), but you have to add to that the KERS unit at +/- 4-5 million and another million or 2 for the gearbox/drivetrain they buy.

That is why the argument over cost never was a good one, because it was comparing just the engine vs. a complete package with the new engines @beejis60

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 8th August 2013, 15:16

As the weeks have gone on we haven’t heard much of this deal, so this doesn’t come as a great surprise. The “deal” doesn’t fill me with confidence at this time. Let’s hope they get this much needed money.

• DaveW (@dmw) said on 8th August 2013, 16:55

Putin is just trying to clear his schedule of his tiger wrestling engagements and other conflicts. You see, he’s going to drive the car himself, shirtless, no helmet, like a man.

2. Jason (@jason12) said on 8th August 2013, 10:04

So everytime Sutil needs some ‘media airtime’ he’s gonna pull out the Lewis Hamilton card…..

Guess he doesn’t have much of a choice though.

3. coefficient (@coefficient) said on 8th August 2013, 12:38

F1 should not be getting into bed with fascist Russia.

4. karter22 (@karter22) said on 8th August 2013, 19:15

Whos is Hembrey kidding?? The new tyres fell on MERC´s laps!

5. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 8th August 2013, 19:33

“Getting real tired of your **** Adrian”

;-)

6. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 8th August 2013, 20:07

I’m finding this attitude towards Russia very disturbing here on F1Fanatic. No country is perfect, every nation has laws that someone from another annoying or wrong. Yes the Russian government is not as open to homosexuals then most European nations. And even in the EU we have certain exceptions, let me remind you that in France the majority of people are now opposing Hollandes government because they passed laws that allows gays to get married and adopt children. Still many here are preaching a return to France…..

Another example. We all were delighted because we returned to the USA. Correct me wrong but did they not recently tried a man for treason just because he made documents publicly that showed that US troops killed more civilians then the government was willing to admit. Same story with Snowden. He’s now wanted for espionage…… Obama was going to close down the Guantanamo Bay Prison but on this day in 2013, it still hasn’t happened and I don’t think I need too remind you that dogs get treated better in that place

India is no stranger to oppressing gay rights either: “Homosexual intercourse was a criminal offense until 2009 under Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.” Up until this day being Gay is a taboo in India and speaking publicly about it has cost many people their lives……

China has occupied Tibet for many years now and has only continued to oppress the Tibetan nationalism instead of going into democratic talks…..

I can name more examples if you want but I think these suffice

Whatever you think but Russia is no different then most countries in the world, picking on them just because they are Russia is nothing more than a little bit hypocrite. In fact I’d say the Cold War seems still in effect. I’m not going to point fingers, It’s just my opinion on the matter. I’m judging no one.

(Pfew, I’m glad I got that off my chest!)

• Yes, but by no means am I just singling out Russia because they’re easy to pick on. It’s merely because it is a current topic of discussion. I firmly believe every human being has the right to openly being gay, just as firmly as I believe women and people other than the narcissistic white population (which by no means is all of the white population, as I wouldn’t consider myself as having narcissistic tendencies!) should be on equal footing to those (thankfully now in most of the west a minority) who still advocated racial division; the bigoted heterosexual white population (such as are in the Russian government).

Of course the same principles apply to the example you have made of India. China also comes under the same umbrella as Bahrain in my view.

Thankfully I think that is a minority and also I’m quite glad that everybody has the right to free speech in France, which cannot be said of Russia. That makes that comparison void.

You’re making the same mistake as PM in thinking that the comments apply solely to Russia: they apply worldwide, it’s just the hot topic of the moment. I assume you wouldn’t accuse Stephen Fry of hypocrisy @force-maikel?

• Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 9th August 2013, 2:06

You can add Malaysia and Singapore to that list as well mate.

In Malaysia, racism is constitutionalised. The US (who are no angels) state department classifies Malaysia as the last apartheid government in the world. We have first class citizens and second class citizens, this is a fact. Google it, article 157 in the Constitution of Malaysia. Until recently (2 years ago), the government had the right exercise the draconian Internal Security Act, which allowed security forces to detain individuals without trial. The last was set up in the post WW2 years to curb communist insurgents. The law was exploited for a good part of 50 years at the whims and fancies of the Prime Minister. Today, in Malaysia, you can get arrested for expressing your opinions which the government deems seditios, freedom of speech is limited.

Singapore practices similar laws to the ISA.

7. Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 8th August 2013, 21:04

This man reminds me of Quintus Batiatus.

8. Wesley (@wesley) said on 8th August 2013, 21:14

In response to COTD concerning Felipe Massa:
    “He should make a graceful exit from F1, there are plenty of other racing categories he can explore, America is definitely an option.”
    OMG NO!…please don’t send him over here.I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..Massa is the Ringo Starr of F1 and has had a long ride on the Ferrari coat tails.Open up that Ferrari seat for a real racer!

9. Paul Barrass (@damleda) said on 9th August 2013, 1:03

I’m sorry. What!!! Hamilton has many faults like all of us, and he has shown them in the public eye many times. 2011 was pretty much full of them, however what a ridiculous remark from Sutil. The guy [Sutil] is a convicted felon for Grievous Bodily Harm, and the facts as revealed in court state that although the actual damage to Lux’ neck may have been unintentional [although the court thinks not and he was proven guilty], he certainly smashed the glass himself and went to threaten Lux.

Now, if I’m a nobody from a speck in the NE of England, and one of my friends does that, then I may, just may support him in court if it doesn’t impact on my life, but if I am an international sports star, and my career is dependent at least partially on commercial deals, etc. then there is absolutely no way I would support him.

Some people think that may make me a bad friend, but to be honest, close family come first, then me, then friends, and in this circumstance the convicted assaulter can say whatever he likes I would have nothing to do with him at all. I would want to maximise my career while I was capable of doing so; so that my family would benefit and I would gladly drop him like a hot coal without even worrying about it. Does that really make me less of a person. I don’t think so.

10. Young One said on 9th August 2013, 1:28

Sutil is just s vain. F1 has forgiLven him by giving him a drive after the incident, yet he is here not showing any remorse and constantly bad mouthing Hamilton cos he didnt grovel to him. Such ppl as Sutil are just unsafe n should be given a drive at all.

11. Paul Barrass (@damleda) said on 9th August 2013, 2:55

Adrian Sutil, the closest thing to an F1 murderer we’ll likely ever know. Anyone defending him should go and look at Eric Lux’ neck and re-iterate the known facts of the incident:

Lux and co were already in the VIP area of M1NT
    Sutil, Hamilton, etc. were led in
    Sutil took over an area used by Lux
    Arguing about it in some way Sutil says “Don’t you know I’m a formula One Driver?” To which Lux replies “Don’t you know I’m a formula one team owner?”
    Lux leans in to Sutil (Who is sitting down on a couch thing with Lewis Hamilton) and grab’s his left arm (Hamilton is on Sutil’s left.)
    Lux looks like he is trying to pull/lift Sutil off couch.
    Sutil’s right arm comes up and round with glass into the side of Lux’s neck.

I have heard some people comment that the movement looks like unintentional damage through self defense, but I just don’t see it myself. Lux didn’t swing, didn’t get in Sutil’s face, or anything, and although it is not impossible that Adrian was simply trying to push Lux off, (It wasn’t a hard and definite swing with a glass with definite fatal intention) I find it unlikely that it was a push-off with a glass in hand, it just doesn’t bio-mechanically make sense. (Try it yourself on someone without telling them why. Get them to hold something in one hand just incidentally, and pull them by the other arm. They either put the thing down, drop it or angle it in their hands out of the way of you.)

Like the courts, I agree that he was holding what amounts to a weapon, and his movement was an attacking one.

Also, go back to the trial records and dates.

Lewis Hamilton issued a written statement to the court, apologises in advance for being unable to meet the date, and also states he would be able to attend after the launch of the MP4-27, which was but the defence have options if he is considered a key witness to postpone (court willing) or to issue a subpoena.

23rd January (Public Domain) :: Hamilton’s lawyer explains they have contacted the court explaining that Lewis is unavailable for the trial date of 30th/31st as he has contractual obligations with McLaren for the MP4-27’s unveiling (set for the 1st Feb) and cannot willingly ( like all contracts of this nature, Lewis would need licence to mitigate based on force majeure, or legal precedence which only a court issued subpoena would guarantee.) leave them but expresses his full support to attend if an adjournment is made.
    (This may seem like short notice, but German prosecutors only issued charges on the 13th of January, so the timescale fits.)

No adjournment was made by the court, and the defense saw fit not to demand the court issue a subpoena/writ demanding Hamiltons attendance, which, although in fairness would not have been legally binding due to the nature of german/English law, would at least have given Hamilton’s lawyers something to take to McLaren to get Lewis to go.

Given that, and his outbursts since, it is clear to me who the real coward is [Sutil's former remark about Hamilton], particularly given the way they have interviewed ever since about each other, or together: Lewis has been positively reaching out and saying only good things. Why should he be doing that? What more do people & Sutil want Lewis to do?

I just can’t grasp this at all.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th August 2013, 9:05

You state all of that as if its fact @damleda

Its likely that the incident was about big egos, there was too much alcohol involved and probably clumsy actions from security teams (must have been a lot of them, Lux and Hamitons both present) Its also probable that it started to go sour when Lux GF spilled wine on Sutils trousers. We know that Sutil had a glass in his hand and that he hit Lux in the neck with the glass.
      Hamiltons statement was that “he did not hear/see the incident clearly” – standing a couple of feet from the whole thing that is. Ok.

We do know that the court did not accept Sutil’s statement that he was fully unaware of having the glass in his hands. On the other hand, they did give a suspended sentence and a lower penalty than the prosecution asked for, pointing that the court did see some mitigating circumstances.

Calling Sutil a thug because of this one incident, which is surely highly unlikely to be repeated is over the top. He seems to have learnt a lot since then about himself.

12. Lexus said on 10th August 2013, 1:36

Hamilton should definitely have stayed away from the trial and if necessary from Sutil. Whilst Sutil may have benefited from Hamilton’s involvement Hamilton would have lost all round. However, if Sutil believed that Hamilton’s testimony would have exonerated him his lawyer could always have had a witness summons issued for Hamilton to give evidence.

If Hamilton had to go to court it would have become more about Hamilton and less about Sutil. There would have been a media circus more because of Hamilton and less because of the others involved. Additionally as a former lawyer I would have torn Hamilton apart easily. Probably damage his character more than Sutil.

In a trial like that a lawyer tries to destroy the witness’s character even if what the witness says is true. Hamilton was involved in lying to the Stewards allegedly on his employer’s instructions I would bring that up as being relevant to his credibility and discredit him. I would also bring up who his friends are out of F1 I.e. hip hop stars would probably have a colourful past. By the time I am finished with Hamilton it would have done Sutil more harm than good and definitely do Hamilton’s brand harm.

If Sutil is on another level as he suggests he cando two things. Stop answering these questions and move on. But he keeps answering and so the press will keep asking until he stops. The press has no reason to stop asking when they get such colourful answers.

I would see him on a different level if he said Hamilton is all forgiven and move on, however, his answers show he seems bitter with Hamilton even now.

However, this may be the only reason why the press talks to him so to kill the questions now would probably mean we do not hear from him for the rest of the season. He should consider himself fortunate to be in F1 to have gotten a second chance, move on and make the most of it.

13. Yes, I was a little inflaming with the first comment. I didn’t mean to imply he was scum, instead I just wanted to note just how close Eric Lux was to death. Literally scant millimetres/centimetres at most and Eric Lux would be the late Eric Lux now.

As for stating this all as fact, everything I have stated is public record, albeit, with some of the information being reported second hand. Adam Cooper reported the pertinent details of the incident itself on speed, from the CCTV footage he had seen, although came to a different conclusion to me. The details of Hamilton’s response, the court conclusions, and dates, etc. are all public record and are still available to be seen online, and the only thing I make a judgement on is the level of force necessary to do the damage, and an interpretation of the movement. I do state that it is possible that Adrian Sutil was trying to push Mr Lux away, but I think it is unlikely. I am only agreeing with the official verdict, and in all honesty I don’t believe that Mr Sutil is just a thug. The incident was probably fuelled by alcohol and ego, and could be seen as; more than anything else, a tragic accident that could have happened to anyone.

What I can’t stand is the way he has went on since. In what way is Hamilton a coward? And in what way is Hamilton not on his level?

14. @bascb Yes, I was a little inflaming with the first comment. I didn’t mean to imply he was scum, instead I just wanted to note just how close Eric Lux was to death. Literally scant millimetres/centimetres at most and Eric Lux would be the late Eric Lux now.

As for stating this all as fact, everything I have stated is public record, albeit, with some of the information being reported second hand. Adam Cooper reported the pertinent details of the incident itself on speed, from the CCTV footage he had seen, although came to a different conclusion to me. The details of Hamilton’s response, the court conclusions, and dates, etc. are all public record and are still available to be seen online, and the only thing I make a judgement on is the level of force necessary to do the damage, and an interpretation of the movement (Which I stand by is using an offensive weapon when holding a glass in hand). I do state that it is possible that Adrian Sutil was trying to push Mr Lux away, but I think it is unlikely. I am only agreeing with the official verdict, and in all honesty I don’t believe that Mr Sutil is just a thug. The incident was probably fuelled by alcohol and ego, and could be seen as, by some people; a tragic accident that could have happened to anyone.