Raikkonen closing on Button in popularity stakes

2013 F1 season

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Bahrain, 2013Jenson Button remains the favourite driver of most F1 Fanatic readers but Kimi Raikkonen is gaining rapidly.

Here’s who F1 Fanatic readers are supporting at the mid-point of the 2013 season.

Favourite drivers

Button has been on top of the F1 Fanatic driver popularity chart since we started compiling this data in 2011. There’s been no change in the order among the seven most popular drivers since we last looked at this data four months ago.

Since then Nico Rosberg has moved up a place to eighth (having won two races in the meantime).

Among the new drivers Jules Bianchi is the most popular followed closely by Valtteri Bottas, who already has more fans than team mate Pastor Maldonado.

Favourite teams

McLaren remain far and away the most popular team on F1 Fanatic at present. However Mercedes are picking up fans at a rapid rate this year having won three races and hired Lewis Hamilton.

The ranking of the teams remains exactly the same as it was four months ago. But Lotus have drawn even closer to Ferrari.

Which drivers and teams do you support?

Here’s how to show who you’re supporting on F1 Fanatic:

• Log in with your F1 Fanatic account (sign up here if you don’t have one)
  • Select Edit My Profile from the top-right menu
  • Select F1 Teams and Drivers
  • Make your selections then click Save Changes

Where are F1 Fanatic readers from?

See the latest breakdown of F1 Fanatic readers by region.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

134 comments on Raikkonen closing on Button in popularity stakes

1. Traverse (@) said on 9th August 2013, 13:03

I love the silly season!! It’s actually welcomed break from discussions about tyres, DRS etc. Oh yeah, who won the caption competition for the picture of Alonso?

2. CNSZU said on 9th August 2013, 15:20

I don’t understand why people become fans of Button. He’s boring as a loaf of bread.

3. Butch27 (@butch27) said on 9th August 2013, 15:51

I don’t like Button. Always complaining.

4. Di Resta: “I was once more popular than Vettel.”

5. Mucahid Ekrem (@mekremblog) said on 9th August 2013, 18:36

Why is selecting favourite drivers and teams so hard ?? i couldn’t do it.

• Yeah, it was easier back when we had real men competing in a real sport. Back in Senna’s day he would have punched you on the nose if you wasn’t a fan of him….

• @poul I don’t agree with that: a real sport doesn’t kill it’s competitors. Not that I don’t like reflecting on the 80’s, but F1 has definitely improved in that respect. Also, I don’t agree that today’s drivers aren’t “real men” – driving a Grand Prix car is still a very difficult task and it’d scare the crap out of an ordinary mortal I’m sure being a passenger at the speeds they go at! I would prefer if they spoke their mind more though – it’s not good to see them “keeping the sponsors happy”, so I agree with that much.

What I really think we need now is an openly gay driver to remove this needless stereotype of what defines a man in motor racing – I’d say that person would be the biggest man of them all.

• Actually that was a joke comment! I love Senna for his die hard perfectionist sporting approach and his totally contradicting charismatic, caring personality. I didn’t love him for punching people on the nose for disagreeing with him but I do love him for agreeing with me that it wasn’t the way he wished to behave or be remembered.

When all that is said and done I did have some intention with the “real men” comment as I find a lot of the drivers today to be overpaid, overprotected, spoiled little brats. As much as I am against violence I would almost prefer getting punched on the nose now from reading on Twitter tomorrow that I am a prick!

• Ouch…. that was poor grammar!

6. AlonsoWDC (@alonsowdc) said on 9th August 2013, 20:13

I wish to state that I have not, and likely will not ever, declare any support of loyalty towards a specific driver or constructor.

7. David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 10th August 2013, 7:15

Having a disproportionately large number of British people here (In comparison to the world population anyway), it’s not surprising that the 2 British drivers are in the top 3 but what is surprising is that Button tops the list instead of Hamilton. Maybe it’s just me but really, all I ever hear Button do is moan and whine at the radio over every little thing; it’s so annoying >_> And although the points don’t reflect it, last year Hamilton completely demolished Button and would have probably fought for the WDC were it not for horrendous luck (Car breaking down in the lead twice, pit-stop blunders and getting taken out by Grosjean, Maldonado and Hulkenburg on 3 separate occasions, with 2 of them occurring while he was within the top 3). What do people see in him, because whatever it is I don’t see it… sure there was Montreal 2011 but I don’t see him driving like that as often as Hamilton does.

8. Michael (@freelittlebirds) said on 10th August 2013, 15:54

It’s sad to see Sutil so low – from the interviews I have seen the guy seems really nice and polite. I think the “accident” and subsequent conviction have really hurt him. I’m not sure what happened there but the claim that Sutil broke the glass and then tried to stab the guy in the neck in front of Lewis and an entire club without any gain or reason makes no sense whatsoever.

I hope this is not the last season for him because he’s a very good F1 racer. Anyone who can pass 2 WDCs, Button and Alonso, at Monaco in the tight Mirabeau hairpin corner deserves to be in F1!

9. phil9079 (@phil9079) said on 12th August 2013, 17:04

Actually, everyone, except for the ones who make many mistakes constantly, is great in F1 ‘including’ the rookies. And everyone should start realising that F1 isn’t just driving in a car. Cause F1 is 1 of the toughest sports of the world. Everyone should know how hard it truelly is. And not only for the drivers, also for the whole team…