Drivers want clarification from FIA on tyre safety

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lotus, Spa-Francorchamps, 2013In the round-up: F1 drivers want answers from the FIA over tyre failures during practice for the Belgian Grand Prix.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Drivers demand answers after Spa punctures (Reuters)

Pedro de la Rosa, who heads the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association, told Reuters they had asked FIA race director Charlie Whiting for clarification at their regular Friday briefing.”

No repeat of British GP drama – Pirelli (Autosport)

Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery: “It is a worry for the sport because we have to go out and find what it is. There is not a lot we can do, but we will try our very best to identify it to give us an indication of what is causing it.”

Suzuka extends F1 contract to 2018 (BBC)

“The track, owned by Japanese car giant Honda, has signed a new five-year deal starting from 2014.”

2014 Grand Prix of America is off, says Bernie Ecclestone (CNN)

“Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that the inaugural Grand Prix of America in New Jersey will not take place as planned next year. saying the organisers have not raised enough money to fund it.”

Kimi ‘hasn’t heard from Bulls’ (Sky)

“I have had no answer from [Red Bull], you’ll have to ask them what they want to do – I don’t know any better than you guys. We hadn’t heard anything for a while and obviously that isn’t the ideal situation, but that’s how it is. You’ll have to go and ask them.”

Sergey Sirotkin, Sauber, 2013Sauber verpflichtet 17-j??hrigen Sirotkin (Der Spiegel, German)

Der Spiegel claims Sergey Sirotkin, who turns 18 tomorrow, should drive for Sauber next year.

Lewis Hamilton says he will hunt down championship rivals one by one (The Guardian)

“The way I look at it, I am not second, I am fourth. So I have got to leapfrog Fernando [Alonso] and then Kimi [Raikkonen] ?ǣ two other guys who have been massively consistent, particularly Kimi.”

Rosberg expects difficult weekend (ESPN)

“It’s looking a bit more difficult here than expected and especially Red Bull is looking very strong so it’s going to be difficult to beat them at the moment.”

Michael Schumacher rules out joining German prot??g?? Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull (The Mirror)

Michael Schumacher has ruled out creating the ultimate German dream team by returning to Formula 1 to partner protege Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull.”

2013 Belgian Grand Prix (FIA)

Pat Symonds: “Formula One, I think, is guilty of far too often hiding its light under a bushel and a lot of the very great things we do as engineers in Formula One we like to keep to ourselves and I think it?s time for that to change. I think it?s time for the world to know what we are doing with Formula One powertrains in 2014 is really quite advanced. It really is something new, it really is the way of the future and therefore I think we can stop before it happens those who may wish to criticize Formula One and motor sport in general for carbon emissions, for use of fossil fuels. Fossil fuels are here to stay, let?s use them efficiently and I think Formula One is doing that, and I think we should be very proud of what we?re doing and we should tell the world what we?re doing.”

Ross Brawn, Mercedes, Shanghai, 2013Q&A with Mercedes? Ross Brawn (F1)

“We have always been supporters of a constraint on resources – either financial or physical resources. We have always tried to encourage that, but it has not come to pass. Be that a budget cap on the whole set of activities or be it a constraint on specific areas, it seems we have never managed to find a solution. I think through technical or sporting regulations you never manage to limit it – I have never seen it succeed in the 30-odd years I have been in racing. You change something from a regulatory point of view, you save some money, and the money you save goes into something else. I do believe that budget caps or resource restrictions – those types of initiatives – could have an effect and we need to try to pursue it.”

Formula One Takes the Slow Track to Russia (The New York Times)

“Signing a deal with Formula One is part of Putin?s effort to use sport to show off the country. This was also part of the thinking behind the Marussia car company?s buying a team.”

Rush exclusive featurette (Virgin)

Some more behind-the-scenes footage from the filming of Rush.

Roebuck?s legends: Carlos Reutemann (MotorSport)

“Why, one of the younger drivers asked, hadn?t Reutemann simply put Piquet in the wall? I argued that Carlos would never contemplate anything of the kind, that this was someone who had integrity. ‘Who?ll remember that?’ the brat scoffed. ‘Piquet had to get past him ?ǣ all he had to do was put him off, and he was World Champion! No one could have proved anything.’”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Alex-Bkk is rethinking Red Bull:

I?ve always been a bit negative towards Red Bull and Vettel. It’s perhaps because I saw both team and driver as upstarts in a series I’ve been following on and off since the sixties.

I know it really wasn?t, but I saw their success as being a bit too easy. It was so early (in the case of Vettel) and so late (in the case of Red Bull) on the scene.

I?ve had a change of thought and have had to unlearn my aforementioned bias. It?s an awesome combination between Vettel and Red Bull. I just hope that Red Bull will put a driver in Webber?s vacant seat that can challenge Vettel and bring out the best in both.
@Alex-Bkk

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Andrew White, Hlahalasas and Lord Stig!

On this day in F1

Fernando Alonso claimed his first ever F1 win in the Hungarian Grand Prix ten years ago today. It made him the youngest ever grand prix winner at the time, a record now held by Sebastian Vettel>.

Kimi Raikkonen was second for McLaren followed by Juan Pablo Montoya’s Williams.

Images ?? Lotus/LAT, Sauber, Mercedes/Hoch Zwei

78 comments on Drivers want clarification from FIA on tyre safety

1. SoLiDG (@solidg) said on 24th August 2013, 0:12

Maybe the tire problems wont matter if the rain falls during the race, which is very possible!

2. Tom_ec1 (@tom_ec1) said on 24th August 2013, 0:18

That’s a real shame about the Grand Prix in New York getting cancelled. I hope they can revive it or something similar one day soon.

• William (@william) said on 24th August 2013, 2:47

I am sure New Jersey could deal with Bernie from now up till December or this could mean Meixco is joining

• soko (@soko) said on 24th August 2013, 3:43

It is a shame. But as a longtime New Jersey resident who is familiar with the area as well as the requirements for holding an F1 race, let’s just say I won a lot of bets… bets that were doubled down after 2013.

Even if they got the money, the residents would revolt, which would be the first of about a million problems.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 24th August 2013, 6:11

I was skeptical too. A race on a non-permanent track requires a lot of commitment and support from the community and local government just to organize it. If you’ve ever been to Singapore or Monaco on a race weekend you’ll know what I mean.
        I think NJ won’t happen (at least not in the next few years) – with everything politicized no one will take on a vanity project like F1.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 24th August 2013, 8:29

Lets not think this is the end of the race. When Bernie makes a statement like that to a US news outlet, its because he wants it heard there. Didn’t he say almost the same about Texas (and other races) at a similar point in time?

3. @Alex-Bkk well reasoned COTD. I hope the same that Red Bull put a competitive driver in the second seat and since it is all but inevitable Ricciardo will get it now, that pretty much constitutes him being more than simply a replacement for Webber!

• Yappy said on 24th August 2013, 3:08

Dan is not getting the seat. He is ready to sign but hasn’t which tells me RB are looking elsewhere. My list of 3 are Kimmi, Schumacher and Kubica.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 24th August 2013, 4:11

Why should RBR rush to confirm Dan, he’s not going anywhere.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 24th August 2013, 8:33

That really is a list of 1 then, as Schumi ruled out a comeback – see article in this roundup – and Kubica is not currently able to race in a single seater Yappy

• Yappy said on 24th August 2013, 9:52

Of course Schumacher ruled it out he has only retired from the sport twice. Last time he retired he was in a team that wasn’t able to prove that he still has it. Now this Red Bull team I hear is doing well. Might be worth a comeback to rebuild his legend status. As for Kubica. He said he can’t comeback because the cockpit is too narrow. But if the min weight for the car increases then there are possibilities.

• Jack (@jackisthestig) said on 24th August 2013, 10:56

Why not add Nigel Mansell to the shortlist? He has lots of experience of driving blue and yellow, Renault powered cars designed by Adrian Newey.

4. celeste (@celeste) said on 24th August 2013, 0:21

Wherey did they get the idea that Schumi could be at RBR? I mean talk about a silly season getting really silly

5. Why is Schumacher to Red Bull even a rumour‽ My my, the silly season truly has hit full swing!

6. Cucamest (@kevincucamest) said on 24th August 2013, 0:28

Well this solves the problem of having too many races for 2014.
    With Russia and Austria in and India and New Jersey out. It leaves us with 20 races again for 2014, this until India comes back in 2015.

• William (@william) said on 24th August 2013, 2:57

I am in favour of Mexico joining next year, just to replace NJ but NJ has until December to get the money into Bernie and register to FOM to join in 2014. A lot of things can happen in a space of 3 months

7. Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 24th August 2013, 0:40

I feel kinda bad for clicking on that The Mirror story on Schumacher to Red Bull. Clearly all they wanted was a catchy headline to generate more hits for their page. It’s getting increasingly hard to turst these so-called reporters that publish every misheard whisper that reaches their ears – or in this case, completely made-up stories. I like a bit of driver market specualtion was much as the next guy, but this went from “silly season” to “let’s-publish-the-most-outrageous-stories-we-can-possibly-think-to-generate-media-interest-and-advertisement-revenue season”

8. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 24th August 2013, 0:50

From the moment New Jersey was delayed until this year, I just felt it would never happen. This news isn’t surprising really. It’s time to forget about it.

And as for the Schumacher to Red Bull “rumour” (if it deserves such a title) – whoever next? Chanoch Nissany?

9. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 24th August 2013, 0:55

Can’t remember if Vettel was on the Option or Prime at the time, but if he was on the prime, then it probably would have been debris because the prime is exactly the same as last years tyre, both in compound and construction.

10. Breno (@austus) said on 24th August 2013, 1:08

So Kimi hasnt heard anything from RBR, got sick of waiting and decided to threaten them by going to Ferrari, to push for the seat.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 24th August 2013, 1:17

That’s pretty much how it works.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 24th August 2013, 1:41

Or Raikkonen hasn’t heard anything from Red Bull, has written off the possibility of driving for them, and is now exploring other options. Raikkonen’s move to Red Bull was never a foregone conclusion.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 24th August 2013, 7:43

RIC doesn’t go anywhere so he is their insurance which gives them options.
      Hülkenberg, DiResta, Massa, Grosjean, Räikkönen, Maldonado, Bottas and others have no contracts for next year. So I’m pretty sure that at least a few of their managers talked to Horner recently.

• John H (@john-h) said on 24th August 2013, 9:19

Out of that list, I would love to see Hülkenberg in that car. Sure Kimi is great, but he’s 33 years old, and if Vettel does go to Ferrari in 2015/16 then getting a decent young driver bedded in should be a decent strategy. RIC is also a better option than Kimi IMHO because of this.

Hülkenberg should have replaced Massa by now, but instead Ferrari have lost Perez and I’d love to see them lose Hülkenberg too.

11. fisigp (@mrbubble424) said on 24th August 2013, 1:36

Schumacher to Red Bull? Well I suppose that is crazy enough to follow the much more ‘sensible’ rumor of Ferrari replacing Massa with Taki Inoue………..

12. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 24th August 2013, 2:10

I agree completely with Pat Symonds F1 teams should open up more to the fans and the general public, I can’t imagine anything more interesting than looking how engineers design a new F1 engine from scratch. Who knows maybe some tv company is making a documentary about it… but what are the odds right?

13. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 24th August 2013, 3:37

Next rumor – RBR are chatting with Sir Jackie and Nigel.

;-)

14. R.J. O'Connell (@rjoconnell) said on 24th August 2013, 3:53

Screw it, I’ll just go to Montreal or Austin…