Rate the race: 2013 Belgian Grand Prix

2013 Belgian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Spa-Francorchamps, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Belgian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (6%)
  • 4 (11%)
  • 5 (17%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (19%)
  • 8 (8%)
  • 9 (3%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 603

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Belgian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

188 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Belgian Grand Prix

1 2 3 4
  1. Eggry (@eggry) said on 25th August 2013, 14:29

Quite boring race for Spa.

• yep, happy though

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 25th August 2013, 14:44

You should be. I’m not though.

• mhop (@mhop) said on 25th August 2013, 22:00

Why why why why do we put up with the abomination that is DRS in our sport?? This race would have been 100x better without it. Look at the “highlights”: lap 4 – Alonso motorway passes Button, lap 6 – Alonso motorway passes Rosberg, lap 40 – Massa motorway passes Grosjean etc etc.

Did any of these moves get anyone’s heart beating? Anyone remember Hakkinnen, Schumacher, Zonta in 2000? With DRS you’re never going to see this kind of genuine excitement ever again. :(

• Zanquis said on 27th August 2013, 8:19

DRS may be a terrible thing for our excitement but then again so was the famous Trulli-trains. Yes we saw some amazing overtaking sometimes but people seem to forget that we also saw the most boring formula one seasons, cause except for those few stunning moments. U could predict the outcome of the sunday race on saturday with 90% accuracy. I could watch all the excitement from those years in a 30 minute or less summary and not miss a single exciting moment.

The problem with formula one since atleast a decade has been that slipstreaming like the old days is close to impossible. The speed difference gained from a proper slipstream is too small. And actually to get close enough to use such a slipstream would mean risking losing traction in corners result in actually losing time instead of gaining. The result was races where people’s best hope for overtaking was using the pitstops. Talk about a curse for the sport, modern aerodynamics of a formula one car is just too good and efficiĆ«nt.

• Nick (@nick101) said on 28th August 2013, 13:30

Because F1 without DRS is….BORING BORING BORING!!!!

I challenge ANYONE to watch F1 races from 2000 to 2008 without falling asleep! It was utter crap!

Like Zanquis said above, there were a FEW great overtakes, but 98% of the time it was a crap, boring, mindless procession!!

• Nick (@nick101) said on 25th August 2013, 14:58

I think McLaren cocked things up yet again! Why the hell did they pit Button?

As Brindled said, if they pit they were guaranteed to come out in 6th place. If they stayed out I reckon they would have done much better!

Not sure Button would have kept Hamilton at bay, but I reckon 4th was on the cards!

DAMN IT!

• markopoloman (@markopoloman) said on 25th August 2013, 17:13

I think he would have been 6th either way. The mercs and Webber were only just behind him and on fresher tyres. 6th is the best he could have hoped for I reckon.

• Mr win or lose said on 25th August 2013, 18:10

But at least they could have tried to steal that podium finish. Even in the worst-case scenario they would have been 6th, so I didn’t understand that late pitstop either.

• Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 25th August 2013, 18:44

Worst case scenario was the pirellis exploding. They’d have ended up with zilch.

• Mr win or lose said on 25th August 2013, 19:59

These exploding tyres were caused by debris on the track. Btw, Perez managed to limp back home in 11th with 26-lap-old tyres.

• Abnash (@abnash) said on 25th August 2013, 15:45

Qualifying was more entertaining than the race.

• For Spa – yes, I was expecting more. DRS must be forbidden on that track, but the conservative tire choice made it even more worse.

• Zanquis said on 27th August 2013, 8:27

DRS should not be forbidden but maybe in a different spot to create a different overtaking moment where the current DRS zone’s normally already give a good change for overtaking.

DRS is needed in formula one to prevent it from becoming as boring as 10 years ago. cause YES we saw some great overtaking moves, but you can sum up a entire season of great moments and racing in less then 30 minutes.

I was frustated with DRS also as I would have loved to see how much of a fight van der Garde (and the marussia’s) could have given to faster cars behind them. The Marussia’s moved to the back faster then Alonso could move to the front. But van der Garde actually put up a fight for them.

2. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 25th August 2013, 14:29

Now that was a boring race…

3. Alehud42 (@alehud42) said on 25th August 2013, 14:29

Where was the rain? One of, if not the worst race of the year. 2.

4. Stig (@stig) said on 25th August 2013, 14:30

yawn.

5. 6 – DRS was wholly unnecessary as Vettel proved on lap one but there were still a fair few battles besides for the top 2 positions (although I’d have liked 3-4-5 to be closer).

Dominant though from Vettel – he was completely untouchable and that clearly wasn’t all the car as Webber proved.

• 6 purely because I rate races based on 5 as a start point, then take away for races I actively didn’t like.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 25th August 2013, 23:01

@vettel1 Do you actually believe that is different than a scale of 10?

• @psynrg yes, because some (@hohum does this I know) start from 1 and work up from there – I start right in the middle.

Basically, I’m just pointing out it takes something spectacular for me to dislike a race (like tyre blowouts in Silverstone or that horrible team order in Germany 2010), so anything below 5 would be unusual for me but not for some others.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 26th August 2013, 8:39

No Max, I also start @5, 5= an average race, 6-9=better than average, 10=the perfect race, lead changing every lap, top 6 drivers all leading at some stage, lots of action also in mid and back field, podium covered by less than a tenth at finish. 4-2= unexciting to boring, 1= terrible, procession constantly interrupted by safety car, all passes happen in the pits or under DRS and everyone is nursing their tyres, could only be worse by being on an oval.@vettel1

• @hohum ah I see, my mistake ;)

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 25th August 2013, 14:31

Mostly the car though, as it is for anyone. I expect it would be a similar result with the other top 2 drivers on the grid (Alo, Ham).

• trublu (@trublu) said on 25th August 2013, 14:35

Webber is hardly a good barometer though. TO consistently go backwards at the start of races is mind boggling.

• @trublu after that though he really didn’t look like he was going to make much of a recovery. Mark’s a good driver but he was nowhere near Vettel today (and it wasn’t on a “car park” circuit so he can’t use that excuse).

• iFelix (@ifelix) said on 25th August 2013, 14:59

Absolutely. He spent 30 laps behind Nico and couldn’t overtake. Obviously driving on the front gives an extra advantage but still, Mark should have at least created Nico if the car was so much faster.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 25th August 2013, 19:01

Mark is well past his best, it’s actually the first time I’m glad he’ll be gone next year so that we can see how Vettel compares with someone else.

• Abuelo Paul (@abuello-paul) said on 25th August 2013, 15:31

New hair style paid off for him…….

• Terrible race my lowest mark of the year surely. It’s a fantastic venue, my ‘home’ race as I’m only 200km from the circuit, it’s a magestic event but the racing we had this afternoon was poor. DRS spoiled the first part of the race and most of the few overtakes were ‘dirty’. Even the winner yawned, he surely could have extended his lead by another 5 to 10 seconds in the race.

I like the race but ‘not that much’ as would say RƤikkƶnen. A low and kind mark, 6.

• @vettel1 Webber’s start was compromised by the ‘grated’ track ////

6. magon4 (@magon4) said on 25th August 2013, 14:30

We did see some great stuff from Sutil, great start from Alonso and Vettel as good as he gets… so not a total fail.

7. bezza695 (@bezza695) said on 25th August 2013, 14:32

6: The race had its slight moments but the race overall was pretty dull especially for Spa

8. dodge5847 (@dodge5847) said on 25th August 2013, 14:32

great quali, boring race

9. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 25th August 2013, 14:33

4/10

Winner never looked in doubt after the end of the first lap.

Not a huge amount of action outside of the DRS zones apart from some decent overtaking moves. There was some drama with the penalties and the crash, but we could’ve really done with a Safety Car intervention or rain to actually add some drama to the occasion.

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 26th August 2013, 5:45

@magnificent-geoffrey I was surprised by your comment, usually your comments are fair in my eyes.

To be honest, I enjoyed the race, it was a throw back to when F1 was simpler and the driver and machine that was best on the day, deservedly won the race and with a bit of distance as well.

F1 in my eyes is to find out who has the best car/driver out there for an entire season, not about entertainment… Although I did have a chuckle when Pastor took out Sutil, I’m still undecided about that particular incident, whether MAL dived for the pitlane or was pushed out in front of Sutil, either way, it ended Sutil’s race quite comprehensively.

10. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 25th August 2013, 14:33

9 – Soooo much overtaking some some of the best overtakes of the year!

• John H (@john-h) said on 25th August 2013, 15:04

9 for an Alonso fan perhaps ;)

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 25th August 2013, 18:33

Wowzers.

Many of those overtakes were DRS passes, you realise that, right?

Stats can be extremely misleading. I felt DRS really put a massive blemish on this race. I can’t believe they still haven’t learned that the entire Kemmel straight is far, far too long for a DRS zone.

Secondly, I have a theory in regards to the FIA’s view on DRS:

I think the FIA are keeping the long DRS zones to ensure drivers try to make more DRS passes than normal passes. The reason being, that these DRS passes are much safer, as the defending driver is helpless 9/10 times, and generally allows the DRS car through.

It works two-fold for the FIA. In their view, the crowd leaves happy that there have been some ‘overtakes’, but it also means less wheel to wheel action, meaning less risk.

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 26th August 2013, 5:50

@ecwdanselby I hear what you’re saying about DRS, except we saw some pretty great manouvres by Kimi at the corner with no name and the Bruxelles corner, as well as a couple of people going up the inside at the Bus Stop. This whole “DRS” is ruining F1, is getting a little old, because its an even playing field for all. It doesn’t favour any one driver/team, so as far as I’m concerned its apart of F1 like chicanes. Sometimes they’re implemented greatly, other times they’re off the mark, but as long as its the same for all, then its at least fair.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 26th August 2013, 8:49

@dragoll, LH passing before the DRS zone only to be passed back in the DRS zone (Massa I think), next time round he nearly took the bait again but backed off and did the job in the DRS zone. Fair !? maybe, good racing !? no way.

11. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 25th August 2013, 14:33

Exciting first half of the grand prix, with some good battles, and not knowing the strategies which were going to play out. However, it kind of fizzled out towards the end, especially once Button converted to a two stop, which I’m still not sure why they did that, considering the worst they were going to finish was 6th anyway. I’ll give it a 7.

12. Rigi (@rigi) said on 25th August 2013, 14:34

4 – typical vettel win, not battle for the lead, overall really boring.

quite sad to see the qualifying being more exciting than the actual race itself.

13. Fixy (@fixy) said on 25th August 2013, 14:34

Sorry Spa, but honestly after the half-way point I got distracted easily (being on my PC and watching on a live stream) and, whilst leaving the window open on one side of the screen, I did everyhting else I could rather than watch the race.
    When Kimi retired there was so little to watch that they showed him enter the pits, stop the car, get out, chat with his engineers and leave! Seriously, who cares? But maybe today that was the most interesting thing to see…
    4/10 for the horribly dull DRS overtakes, for the certainty of the result much before the chequered flag, for nothing unexpected happening.

14. 6 it is folks. Excellent driving by Vettel and Alonso. VET, the man will be hard to stop. Button should have stayed out and made the Mercs work for the final podium.

15. Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 25th August 2013, 14:35

Solid 9. Plenty of action. -1 for RAI retirement and absence of action upfront

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 25th August 2013, 18:37

So, it would have been a 10 out of 10 if Raikkonen hadn’t retired?

I’d love to see your scores for the previous races this season! 20/10?

Sorry, don’t mean to sound awful here, but really?! We were watching the same race?

It just worries me. Maybe it’s more just a ‘me’ thing. The reason I get upset is because the FIA will listen to people giving these races the thumbs up and continue to dish out fake overtakes.

If DRS stays for a couple more seasons, I honestly think i’ll move on from F1. I already feel some slight detachment. I became very distracted throughout the race.

Glad some are easily pleased though, I guess. I just think, as the consumer, you at least deserve a fair fight?

16. Dizzy said on 25th August 2013, 14:37

2/10 purely because of the ridiculous gimmick known as DRS.

How many more races does that stupid thing have to completely destroy before its finally banned?
    Its just getting stupid now this year as its been far too effective all year as the massive increase in # of DRS highway passes shows.

Boring, artificial gimmick thats the killer of racing & real, exciting, hard fought overtaking!

#banDRS

• Don’t agree with the rating but absolutely agree over banning DRS – there were several occasions where drivers didn’t overtake at certain places because the DRS zones followed. Maybe it works on some tracks, but it was absolutely pointless here.

• Breno (@austus) said on 25th August 2013, 16:19

Second time this year Hamilton slowed down to use DRS on Alonso too. It didnt work, so I hope Hamilton changes strategies, because this is a pretty bad one.

• JP (@jonathanproc) said on 25th August 2013, 16:39

@austus Alonso would have easily got past him on the straight with DRS though. So if anything staying behind at the hairpin kept him closer to Alonso than if he let Alonso get DRS.

• AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 26th August 2013, 10:42

@jonathanproc, I agree, Hamilton would have been a sitting duck on the straight, so this was the best try. I’d like to see their onboard graphics of the overtake. Was Alonso able to hit the rev limiter simply by emptying his KERS? Did Hamilton empty his KERS in addition to the DRS, or didn’t he think it would be necessary? Was Hamilton’s top speed too low because of the rev limiter?

In any case, I found it very strange that Hamilton wasn’t able to get ahead of Alonso, as he seemed to have a near-perfect run on him. Would anyone have been able to overtake Fernando on the straight?

17. TMF (@tmf42) said on 25th August 2013, 14:37

All in all not very exciting but a solid race with a few good battles. DRS zone was too long though.

18. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 25th August 2013, 14:39

Vettel showing why overtaking at first turn before DRS enabled is key to win.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 25th August 2013, 15:12

Hamilton had such low top speed on the long Kemmel that he never had any defense against Vettel even without DRS.

Then he tried to trick Alonso by letting him past in La Source hoping to get back past with DRS on Kemmel. Hamilton’s Mercedes wasn’t faster at all than the Ferrari even when Hamilton had the benefit of DRS. They simply had too much wing on.

• @patrickl I don’t think it was that bad – the main reason why Vettel made such huge gains on Hamilton was he saved all his KERS (used none at the start) then got a really good run through Eau Rouge to pick up the slipstream instantly.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 25th August 2013, 15:55

They are not allowed to use KERS at the start and Hamilton was well ahead after the first meters. They both had the same mount of KERS.

Hamilton did make a slight mistake in Eau rouge though, so yeah that didn’t help him.

• @patrickl ehm, yes they are? In fact that is one of it’s main uses?

• *its

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 25th August 2013, 16:05

No they aren’t. Probably because of too much risk for traction control solutions. Only when they are above a certain speed it’s allowed.

They have too much power available already, so it would be completely pointless heaping KERS on top of engine power then anyway.

• @patrickl they don’t use it in first gear because it would be stupid. They can use it after that though as they please, so yes they can use KERS at the start.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 25th August 2013, 18:29

Well, that’s not “AT the start”. They can use it quickly after yes, but in this case that would be stupid because, as I explained already, there is no run to the first corner for KERS to be of any use and Hamilton was well ahead already.

• @patrickl I’ve never heard of the start being defined as solely the first 20m haha! The start usually at least defines to the first corner…

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 25th August 2013, 19:41

I didn’t say 20 meters. Anbd then you make up some bs definition of your own? Start is the start. When the lights go. There is no distance. At best you could say it’s until they cross the line, but that’s for rolling starts.

Just stop making up nonsense trying to prove a point that was made up nonsese to begin with. Vettel did NOT overtake Hamilton because he was the only one to keep his kers.

It’s just nonsense. Knock. It. Off.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 25th August 2013, 17:37

Only if you only call the first 20 meters the start. F1 cars are traction limited when accelerating from a standstill so KERS would hurt, not help. Once the downforce increases, they can use their full power including KERS.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 25th August 2013, 18:39

Yes, they are absolutely allowed to use KERS at the start. Most drivers do.

• JP (@jonathanproc) said on 25th August 2013, 16:42

@vettel1 Hamilton used the majority of his KERS to defend as well. He only stopped using it after Vettel had passed him to keep it for later in the lap. So that’s definitely not “the main reason” Vettel gained on him.

19. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 25th August 2013, 14:39

5, quite boring race.
    Great drives from the top 3 (as usual), especially Vettel.
    Alonso and Hamilton also took everything out of the car.
    Nice to see the top 3 drivers on the podium, and nice to see Hamilton and Vettel being friendly after the race.

20. nmsi (@nmsi) said on 25th August 2013, 14:40

better than some and some great battles. Should have been 3 laps shorter as nothing happened in the end. so 6.
    +1 for classic podium for 3 of the best drivers of current era.

1 2 3 4