Rate the race: 2013 Belgian Grand Prix

2013 Belgian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Spa-Francorchamps, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Belgian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (6%)
  • 4 (11%)
  • 5 (17%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (19%)
  • 8 (8%)
  • 9 (3%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 603

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Belgian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

188 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Belgian Grand Prix

1 2 3 5
  1. Eggry (@eggry) said on 25th August 2013, 14:29

Quite boring race for Spa.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 25th August 2013, 14:34

yep, happy though

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 25th August 2013, 14:44

You should be. I’m not though.

• mhop (@mhop) said on 25th August 2013, 22:00

Why why why why do we put up with the abomination that is DRS in our sport?? This race would have been 100x better without it. Look at the “highlights”: lap 4 – Alonso motorway passes Button, lap 6 – Alonso motorway passes Rosberg, lap 40 – Massa motorway passes Grosjean etc etc.

Did any of these moves get anyone’s heart beating? Anyone remember Hakkinnen, Schumacher, Zonta in 2000? With DRS you’re never going to see this kind of genuine excitement ever again. :(

• Zanquis said on 27th August 2013, 8:19

DRS may be a terrible thing for our excitement but then again so was the famous Trulli-trains. Yes we saw some amazing overtaking sometimes but people seem to forget that we also saw the most boring formula one seasons, cause except for those few stunning moments. U could predict the outcome of the sunday race on saturday with 90% accuracy. I could watch all the excitement from those years in a 30 minute or less summary and not miss a single exciting moment.

The problem with formula one since atleast a decade has been that slipstreaming like the old days is close to impossible. The speed difference gained from a proper slipstream is too small. And actually to get close enough to use such a slipstream would mean risking losing traction in corners result in actually losing time instead of gaining. The result was races where people’s best hope for overtaking was using the pitstops. Talk about a curse for the sport, modern aerodynamics of a formula one car is just too good and efficiĆ«nt.

• Nick (@nick101) said on 28th August 2013, 13:30

Because F1 without DRS is….BORING BORING BORING!!!!

I challenge ANYONE to watch F1 races from 2000 to 2008 without falling asleep! It was utter crap!

Like Zanquis said above, there were a FEW great overtakes, but 98% of the time it was a crap, boring, mindless procession!!

• Nick (@nick101) said on 25th August 2013, 14:58

I think McLaren cocked things up yet again! Why the hell did they pit Button?

As Brindled said, if they pit they were guaranteed to come out in 6th place. If they stayed out I reckon they would have done much better!

Not sure Button would have kept Hamilton at bay, but I reckon 4th was on the cards!

DAMN IT!

• markopoloman (@markopoloman) said on 25th August 2013, 17:13

I think he would have been 6th either way. The mercs and Webber were only just behind him and on fresher tyres. 6th is the best he could have hoped for I reckon.

• Mr win or lose said on 25th August 2013, 18:10

But at least they could have tried to steal that podium finish. Even in the worst-case scenario they would have been 6th, so I didn’t understand that late pitstop either.

• Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 25th August 2013, 18:44

Worst case scenario was the pirellis exploding. They’d have ended up with zilch.

• Mr win or lose said on 25th August 2013, 19:59

These exploding tyres were caused by debris on the track. Btw, Perez managed to limp back home in 11th with 26-lap-old tyres.

• Abnash (@abnash) said on 25th August 2013, 15:45

Qualifying was more entertaining than the race.

• Kiril Varbanov (@kiril-varbanov) said on 26th August 2013, 15:07

For Spa – yes, I was expecting more. DRS must be forbidden on that track, but the conservative tire choice made it even more worse.

• Zanquis said on 27th August 2013, 8:27

DRS should not be forbidden but maybe in a different spot to create a different overtaking moment where the current DRS zone’s normally already give a good change for overtaking.

DRS is needed in formula one to prevent it from becoming as boring as 10 years ago. cause YES we saw some great overtaking moves, but you can sum up a entire season of great moments and racing in less then 30 minutes.

I was frustated with DRS also as I would have loved to see how much of a fight van der Garde (and the marussia’s) could have given to faster cars behind them. The Marussia’s moved to the back faster then Alonso could move to the front. But van der Garde actually put up a fight for them.

2. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 25th August 2013, 14:29

Now that was a boring race…

3. Alehud42 (@alehud42) said on 25th August 2013, 14:29

Where was the rain? One of, if not the worst race of the year. 2.

4. 6 – DRS was wholly unnecessary as Vettel proved on lap one but there were still a fair few battles besides for the top 2 positions (although I’d have liked 3-4-5 to be closer).

Dominant though from Vettel – he was completely untouchable and that clearly wasn’t all the car as Webber proved.

5. magon4 (@magon4) said on 25th August 2013, 14:30

We did see some great stuff from Sutil, great start from Alonso and Vettel as good as he gets… so not a total fail.

6. bezza695 (@bezza695) said on 25th August 2013, 14:32

6: The race had its slight moments but the race overall was pretty dull especially for Spa

7. dodge5847 (@dodge5847) said on 25th August 2013, 14:32

great quali, boring race

8. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 25th August 2013, 14:33

4/10

Winner never looked in doubt after the end of the first lap.

Not a huge amount of action outside of the DRS zones apart from some decent overtaking moves. There was some drama with the penalties and the crash, but we could’ve really done with a Safety Car intervention or rain to actually add some drama to the occasion.

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 26th August 2013, 5:45

@magnificent-geoffrey I was surprised by your comment, usually your comments are fair in my eyes.

To be honest, I enjoyed the race, it was a throw back to when F1 was simpler and the driver and machine that was best on the day, deservedly won the race and with a bit of distance as well.

F1 in my eyes is to find out who has the best car/driver out there for an entire season, not about entertainment… Although I did have a chuckle when Pastor took out Sutil, I’m still undecided about that particular incident, whether MAL dived for the pitlane or was pushed out in front of Sutil, either way, it ended Sutil’s race quite comprehensively.

9. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 25th August 2013, 14:33

9 – Soooo much overtaking some some of the best overtakes of the year!

• John H (@john-h) said on 25th August 2013, 15:04

9 for an Alonso fan perhaps ;)

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 25th August 2013, 18:33

Wowzers.

Many of those overtakes were DRS passes, you realise that, right?

Stats can be extremely misleading. I felt DRS really put a massive blemish on this race. I can’t believe they still haven’t learned that the entire Kemmel straight is far, far too long for a DRS zone.

Secondly, I have a theory in regards to the FIA’s view on DRS:

I think the FIA are keeping the long DRS zones to ensure drivers try to make more DRS passes than normal passes. The reason being, that these DRS passes are much safer, as the defending driver is helpless 9/10 times, and generally allows the DRS car through.

It works two-fold for the FIA. In their view, the crowd leaves happy that there have been some ‘overtakes’, but it also means less wheel to wheel action, meaning less risk.

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 26th August 2013, 5:50

@ecwdanselby I hear what you’re saying about DRS, except we saw some pretty great manouvres by Kimi at the corner with no name and the Bruxelles corner, as well as a couple of people going up the inside at the Bus Stop. This whole “DRS” is ruining F1, is getting a little old, because its an even playing field for all. It doesn’t favour any one driver/team, so as far as I’m concerned its apart of F1 like chicanes. Sometimes they’re implemented greatly, other times they’re off the mark, but as long as its the same for all, then its at least fair.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 26th August 2013, 8:49

@dragoll, LH passing before the DRS zone only to be passed back in the DRS zone (Massa I think), next time round he nearly took the bait again but backed off and did the job in the DRS zone. Fair !? maybe, good racing !? no way.

10. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 25th August 2013, 14:33

Exciting first half of the grand prix, with some good battles, and not knowing the strategies which were going to play out. However, it kind of fizzled out towards the end, especially once Button converted to a two stop, which I’m still not sure why they did that, considering the worst they were going to finish was 6th anyway. I’ll give it a 7.

11. Rigi (@rigi) said on 25th August 2013, 14:34

4 – typical vettel win, not battle for the lead, overall really boring.

quite sad to see the qualifying being more exciting than the actual race itself.

12. Fixy (@fixy) said on 25th August 2013, 14:34

Sorry Spa, but honestly after the half-way point I got distracted easily (being on my PC and watching on a live stream) and, whilst leaving the window open on one side of the screen, I did everyhting else I could rather than watch the race.
    When Kimi retired there was so little to watch that they showed him enter the pits, stop the car, get out, chat with his engineers and leave! Seriously, who cares? But maybe today that was the most interesting thing to see…
    4/10 for the horribly dull DRS overtakes, for the certainty of the result much before the chequered flag, for nothing unexpected happening.

13. 6 it is folks. Excellent driving by Vettel and Alonso. VET, the man will be hard to stop. Button should have stayed out and made the Mercs work for the final podium.

14. Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 25th August 2013, 14:35

Solid 9. Plenty of action. -1 for RAI retirement and absence of action upfront

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 25th August 2013, 18:37

So, it would have been a 10 out of 10 if Raikkonen hadn’t retired?

I’d love to see your scores for the previous races this season! 20/10?

Sorry, don’t mean to sound awful here, but really?! We were watching the same race?

It just worries me. Maybe it’s more just a ‘me’ thing. The reason I get upset is because the FIA will listen to people giving these races the thumbs up and continue to dish out fake overtakes.

If DRS stays for a couple more seasons, I honestly think i’ll move on from F1. I already feel some slight detachment. I became very distracted throughout the race.

Glad some are easily pleased though, I guess. I just think, as the consumer, you at least deserve a fair fight?

1 2 3 5