Rate the race: 2013 Belgian Grand Prix

2013 Belgian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Spa-Francorchamps, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Belgian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (6%)
  • 4 (11%)
  • 5 (17%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (19%)
  • 8 (8%)
  • 9 (3%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 603

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Belgian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

188 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Belgian Grand Prix

1. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 25th August 2013, 14:48

Gave it a 7.

Battle for the lead was non-existent and the race was pretty boring but there were at least some interesting battles in the midfield.

2. Nathan Bellows (@nathanbellows) said on 25th August 2013, 14:51

What a snooze-fest! Vettel overtakes for the lead 30 seconds in before escaping into the distance never to be challenged, classic GP2-ish driving from Grosjean and Maldonado, massive disappointment for Raikkonen too.

Great drive from Alonso though. Spa got a 4 from me – and that’s being kind.

3. Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 25th August 2013, 14:52

7/10, a bit generous but I my eyes glued to the screen. Lotus have zero performance in cool conditions though a bit disappointed

4. rankx (@rankx22) said on 25th August 2013, 14:55

Maldonado – a bit harsh, don’t you think?

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 25th August 2013, 15:08

No. He tried to dive for the pit while two cars were still passing. Utterly idiotic move from him. Again!

Although Gutierez’ driving which caused the damage to Maldonado’s car (which consequently prompted Maldonado to go for the pits) was a bit ridiculous also.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 25th August 2013, 15:11

No – he clearly turned into Di Resta.

• @rankx22 agreed – drive through maybe but I viewed it that Sutil didn’t leave enough space and the collision with Di Resta was an inevitability after that.

• mhop (@mhop) said on 25th August 2013, 23:28

@vettel1 – You’ve viewed it wrong, I’m afraid. Have a look again and you’ll see that Maldonado’s collision with Sutil was caused by Maldonado making a swerve for the pit lane. He then made a second move for the pits and totally wiped out di Resta. Taking two cars — two cars you’re not even realistically racing — out on your way to the pits? Not acceptable. Maldonado fully deserved a stop go penalty.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 25th August 2013, 16:06

No. He tried to dive for the pit while two cars were still passing. Utterly stupid move from him. Again!

• Valid points and I think what this raises is the idiotic placement of the pit entry. I recall Vettel nearly being hit by Schumacher for similar reasons last year – the pit entry should be before the bus stop.

5. liam (@) said on 25th August 2013, 14:59

Fell Asleep and I’m pretty sure Vettel and Alonso were close to falling asleep as well.

6. R.J. O'Connell (@rjoconnell) said on 25th August 2013, 15:03

6/10 seems fair for me. Even the mighty Spa can’t have repeats of ’98, ’00, ’08, ’09 and so on every single year it’s on the calendar.

That said, it wasn’t totally devoid of excitement. But it wasn’t an instant classic either. The battles lower in the grid weren’t insanely dramatic, but there were great drives for some drivers – Alonso and Ricciardo in particular, got great results from terrible grid places. The pile up was dramatic, but not a race-changing event. Derek Warwick and the stewards were throwing out penalties like crazy.

7. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 25th August 2013, 15:04

7. It was quite boring in the top 5, but there were exciting battles in the lower part of the top 10.
    I still think that the DRS in Kemmel straight is too much, though.

8. Krichelle (@krichelle) said on 25th August 2013, 15:11

7/10, but this in my view is low… Boring because of DRS overtakes, made it too easy… Not just to Lewis… Although that was expected… But on the others, it was just too much… Vettel’s win did make the race boring, but that to me was pretty obvious given RB’s pace in the dry… It was boring, not much action occurred… Until Maldonado’s collision but… It was boring, but I don’t put this down to Vettel just leading… MAINLY: DRS, just get rid of it, or either balance it out… Overtaking last year was even “more overtakes” compared to “DRS overtakes”… The first half was good… Even though I am a hard Lewis fan I expected that he was going to struggle because Mercedes went for a WET WEATHER setup… But, really… DRS is just making things BORING… I was live timing as well…

9. Jason (@jason12) said on 25th August 2013, 15:12

Oh rain whereforth art thou?

10. Krichelle (@krichelle) said on 25th August 2013, 15:12

/10, but this in my view is low… Dull because of DRS overtakes, made it too easy… Not just to Lewis… Although that was expected… But on the others, it was just too much… Vettel’s win did make the race boring, but that to me was pretty obvious given RB’s pace in the dry… It was boring, not much action occurred… Until Maldonado’s collision but… It was boring, but I don’t put this down to Vettel just leading… MAINLY: DRS, just get rid of it, or either balance it out… Overtaking last year was even “more overtakes” compared to “DRS overtakes”… The first half was good… Even though I am a hard Lewis fan I expected that he was going to struggle because Mercedes went for a WET WEATHER setup… But, really… DRS is just making things BORING… I was live timing as well…

11. Nigelstash (@nigelstash) said on 25th August 2013, 15:14

Felt like a 3 but thinking about it there was quite a lot of interest away from the front, the was another stunning Alonso drive, and sadly for DiResta fairly dramatic prang at the bus stop.
    A 6 from me then.
    Shame that Vettel seems to be just to far ahead to be caught now. Without reliability issues he just had to keep finishing to win the title. Alonso and Hamilton will close the gap but not by enough to pressure Red Bull into making mistakes. The battle between ALO and HAM for second looks like being the interesting point for the rest of the season. I think they will both take wins over Vettel but in taking points of each other they will ultimately make his title victory easier.

12. John H (@john-h) said on 25th August 2013, 15:17

6/10.
    * Great drive from Vettel and Alonso but…
    * Predictably brainless use of DRS ruining the beauty of Spa.
    * Good battles further down, but at the front it might just as well be a time trial due to said DRS. When will this turd of a system end?

13. beneboy (@beneboy) said on 25th August 2013, 15:19

4 – Struggled to keep watching for most of the race.
    First two laps were ok, a couple of interesting laps after the first pit stop but the rest of the race was boring and even a multi-car crash couldn’t bring any excitement to what was one of the worst GP’s I’ve ever watched.

Stewards deserve a special mention for being consistently poor.

14. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 25th August 2013, 15:21

I’m starting to think that Spa is very similar to Monaco. Both are extraordinary places to watch a Formula 1 car blast around the circuit, but both will rarely put on an exciting Grand Prix without the assistance of rain. Now that I think about it, I do struggle to recall the last time a dry Belgian Grand Prix was a thriller.

I gave this race a 4/10. This race was very comparable with this year’s Canadian Grand Prix. I felt like I spent the whole race waiting for something to happen, and in the end, nothing did.

15. andae23 (@andae23) said on 25th August 2013, 15:21

6/10 – basically as low as my scores go without Pirelli tyre blows.

Lots of potential, because I think the grid was set up for loads of exciting battles. GP2 and GP3 this morning showed that a race at Spa without rain can be extremely exciting, but I often found myself in the position knowing that the battle would be decided by DRS in the end. Hamilton admitting he let Alonso pass to get DRS was basically the nail in the coffin.

To be honest, I can look past a boring race: in the Schumacher era, I just loved watching the cars, hearing the sound, it just had a smell to it that I massively enjoyed. Formula 1 today feels way too clean, too scripted. Every aspect of it just looks coordinated, with the occasional Greenpeace protester adding a dash of unpredictability.

On a positive note, Spa-Francorchamps is magnificent. Such a beautiful track and environment. Unfortunately there is way too much run-off area, for instance at Eau Rouge, Stavelot, the unnamed corner, Blanchimont, Pouhon and la Source. If you saw the Porsche race this morning, literally every driver cut the track at every corner, but no one got penalized. Why Gutierrez was the only F1 driver to get a penalty today for track limits is a complete mystery to me.