Kimi Raikkonen has his sights set on leaving Lotus at the end of the year, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh believes.
However Whitmarsh denied Raikkonen has had any talks this year about returning to the team he drove for between 2002 and 2006.
“Last year we had talks with him, but for various reasons it didn?óÔéĽÔäót happen,” Whitmarsh told the official Formula One site. “This year we?óÔéĽÔäóve had no talks – yet.”
“Obviously Kimi is determined to go somewhere else and I sense that he will not succeed in that goal, so let?óÔéĽÔäós see how he gets on there,” he added.
Raikkonen was under consideration by Red Bull for the seat alongside Sebastian Vettel next year. But during the Belgian Grand Prix weekend Mark Webber indicated Daniel Ricciardo will get the drive.
Other rumours have linked Raikkonen to a return to Ferrari, who he won the world championship for in 2007.
Whitmarsh admitted McLaren have considered trying to lure back Raikkonen, who won nine races for the team: “Kimi has always been great and I am a big fan of him. There is a lot of speculation out there at the moment, so let?óÔéĽÔäós see what happens. ”
2014 F1 season
- Bianchi’s fight for life ends nine months after Japanese Grand Prix crash
- Mercedes’ Bahrain battle “too dangerous” – Warwick
- Streiff’s comments on Bianchi crash investigation prompts legal action from FIA
- Is stewarding improving? Analysing 2014’s penalties
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2014 season review
Browse all 2014 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® GP3/LAT