No driver announcement at Monza – Ferrari

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Sepang, 2013Ferrari will not make an announcement about their future driver line-up at this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix, the team has confirmed.

“No decisions have yet been taken,” the team said on its website. “Furthermore, as happens in the best families, important decisions are taken together at the right moment and not because a certain date on the calendar has been reached.”

Felipe Massa’s future at the team is once again in doubt following another indifferent season so far. Massa has amassed just 67 points so far this year, less than half that of team mate Fernando Alonso.

Last year the team waited until mid-October before announcing an extension on Massa’s contract.

Alonso has a contract with the team until 2016 however there has also been speculation about his future and claims his management team investigated the possibility of a move to Red Bull, where a vacancy exists alongside Sebastian Vettel next year.

Kimi Raikkonen has also been linked to a return to Ferrari, who he drove for between 2007 and 2009.

Team principal Stefano Domenicali told the official F1 site on Wednesday: “Everybody wants to drive for Ferrari. We have to wait and see.”

“My favourite choice would be, of course, to keep Felipe because Felipe is a very good guy – very dedicated to the team – and when you look around there are not so many drivers out there that you swap and they immediately deliver.

“But, of course, we need good results from Felipe, so that?s why we will not rush as we have to make the right decision for the team. As soon as we have made up our minds we will announce it officially to silence the rumours once and for all.”

2014 F1 season


Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

Advert | Go Ad-free

84 comments on No driver announcement at Monza – Ferrari

  1. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 31st August 2013, 9:27

    I would like to see Felipe lead Sauber or Force India, surely they would take him & it would be nice for him to be top dog after all this time, but I just don’t see him wanting to move down the grid. I think if Ferrari don’t keep him on he’ll bow out and become some sort of ambassador for the team doing the odd demonstration run and things. But they’ll probably keep him unless he performs particularly bad in the next few races – ie: causes absolute devastation.

    Good Luck Felipe.

    • Todfod (@todfod) said on 31st August 2013, 16:55

      Honestly, Force India has 2 drivers much stronger than Felipe, and Sauber is more after the money than anything else right now.

      Caterham and Marrussia might be the only 2 teams interested in picking up Felipe, and only because he brings the experience of racing for a top team.

      I just dont think Felipe is good enough to be in the sport right now

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments must abide by the comment policy. Comments may be moderated.
Want to post off-topic? Head to the forum.
See the FAQ for more information.