Red Bull “very interested in equality” – Ricciardo

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Daniel Ricciardo, Toro Rosso, Spa-Francorchamps, 2013In the round-up: Daniel Ricciardo says he isn’t concerned about not receiving equal treatment compared to Sebastian Vettel if he joins Red Bull next year.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ricciardo: I am perfect fit for Red Bull (The Telegraph)

“I guess I only know what you guys know. Malaysia this year, Silverstone a couple of years ago. But it?s not something that I?m concerned with. From what I hear the team is very much interested in equality.”

The true cost of Formula 1 (Autosport, subscription required)

A fascinating study of F1 team finances by Autosport’s Dieter Rencken puts Ferrari as the richest team in the sport with an annual budget of ??250m, boosted by a generous subsidy from FOM due to Ferrari’s status and heritage. Minnows Marussia get by on ??51m by comparison including ??6m from FOM (7.5% of what Ferrari receive) which will disappear at the end of this year as they currently have no commercial deal with the sport.

Tweets

Comment of the day

Thoughts on how DRS will change next year from Matt Somerfield:

We all know that the rules are changing significantly for next year and although most might not like it I’d suggest there will be perhaps one or two teams that will run away with the title as they simply got it right whilst others didn’t.

In terms of DRS the 50mm aperture currently allowed whilst the top flap is active will be increased to 60mm as the height of the rear wing will be increased by 20mm overall. Drag will undoubtedly be a significant factor for 2014 as more cooling should be a standard requirement for the teams and cooling apertures equals drag.

Moreover Pirelli will likely be very conservative with their initial tyre designs knowing the impact the additional torque will have on the construction of the tyre.
Matt Somerfield (@SomersF1)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Chris Sz and Meander!

On this day in F1

The short, rough, four-turn Zeltweg airfield track hosted the non-championship Austrian Grand Prix 50 years ago today as a precursor to its first appearance on the world championship schedule the following year.

Innes Ireland was leading convincingly when his Lotus’s BRM engine died 17 laps from home. That handed victory to Jack Brabham by the astonishing margin of five laps over Tony Settember’s Scirocco and Carel Godin de Beaufort’s Porsche.

73 comments on Red Bull “very interested in equality” – Ricciardo

1. hunocsi (@hunocsi) said on 1st September 2013, 1:12

Ricciardo: I am perfect fit for Red Bull

Maybe for the team, but not for the car.

2. HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st September 2013, 1:24

Lucky Mark Webber (off track) no doubt will be watching MotoGP at Silverstone from one of the many Red Bull sponsored teams pit facilities, I didn’t know he was a fan but it makes sense.

• Traverse (@) said on 1st September 2013, 2:09

I absolutely love MotoGP but it’s not the same without Casey Stoner. :'(
      Marquez is doing a sterling job and has helped to alleviate the void, but, to see a rider in his prime leave a sport is beyond disappointing.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st September 2013, 3:26

Crutchlow is providing the underdog team excitment at the moment, but yes, sad to see Casey walk, but then MotoGP riders have a lot more to lose than F1 drivers do now.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st September 2013, 14:26

Both Moto2 and MotoGP were great races, if only F1 could be so good.

3. Albedo said on 1st September 2013, 1:35

On the picture he’s laughing at the title of this article.

4. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 1st September 2013, 2:04

From what I hear the team is very much interested in equality

From what I see the team is very much interested in PR

• Traverse (@) said on 1st September 2013, 2:16

From what I see the team is very much interested in success, and as a result have achieved it in a crushing fashion over the past few years. Fact is, whether Red Bull choose Ricciardo or Raikkonen, they will be successful. They don’t need any advice regarding the running of their team, nor do they have to justify their decisions because (as Raikkonen would say), they know what they’re doing! :)

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 1st September 2013, 2:43

@hellotraverse
        I think you have completely missed the point, every team is interested in success believe me even Marussia or Caterham are interested in winning races and world championships (if they can of course), i don’t know why you have jumped to conclusions about how successful the team will be or about me giving them advise about their drivers line up (maybe it has something to do with my nickname or avatar or both of them)
        The fact is that Red Bull has never been treating their drivers equally (and i’m not against it BTW and i’m not saying that Seb didn’t deserve this kind of preferential treatment over his teammate) but they are always denying this something which they are not obliged to do since they are free to run their business the way they like and now Ricciardo who will be very soon promoted to the first team is doing the same thing and i hope that he will say the same words he is saying now when they will told him to hold the gap to Vettel in his first opportunity to beat him on the track

BTW what makes you so sure about that ???? remember regulation change next year will reduce the influence of aerodynamics which are Red Bull’s main strength , i know that they can still win championships in the next years because their partnership with Renault has been proved to be a wining pair but 2014 is the unknown for every team and you said Fact is

• Traverse (@) said on 1st September 2013, 3:07

My point is Red Bull don’t have to justify their team strategy, i.e whether they have a No.1 driver policy or not. The reason why they publicly state that they don’t have a No.1 driver is because people like you continually insist that they do (despite the fact that Webber has been treated equally), so if RBR don’t make a concerted effort to rectify the misinformation, people will assume that the No.1 driver claim is correct.

You mention that you hope RBR don’t tell Ricciardo to hold position when he has an opportunity to beat Vettel, but you don’t mention that RBR gave Webber preferential treatment this season by ordering Vettel to “hold position”.
          Quite frankly, if Ricciado is given an order to hold position, hopefully he’ll show the same guts and fortitude that Vettel did and refuse to be a lackey, after all, your destiny is in your own hands, which is something that Vettel realises and has taken full responsibility for. Ricciardo could learn a lot from The Vetinator.

Granted I overstated the possibility of future success given that we know little about how the teams will cope with the new regs. I shouldn’t have said “will be successful”. Rather, there is no obvious reason (at least to me) as to why RBR can’t continue in a positive trajectory.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 1st September 2013, 8:16

You cannot honestly beleive that.

Sebastian gets the car designed around his driving style… that is something that is fairly obvious since the EBD days. On days where Seb lost his front wing, he could always borrow his teammates. If there was a rift in the team, its always been obvious who the team favours.

I think your statements show that Red Bull is at least convincing a couple of f1 fans that they have driver equality…. but the rest us aren’t buying it.

• ME4ME (@me4me) said on 1st September 2013, 8:58

@todfod
          Obviosly the lead driver in each team has a say on how the fine details of the car are designed to fit the driver. But it hasn’t always gone Vettels way. Remember the first races in 2012, where he had to adjust to the non-EBD RB8, and the car actually suited Webber much better? He then got on with it, and pretty much destroyed Webber over the season. A driver should always adapt. Thats what Vettel did, and thats what RB expacted from him. I don’t Believe any of their drivers can demand the car to be designed solely to their liking.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 1st September 2013, 9:07

No, he did not adapt magically . The car was slowly updated to be better for him . After they introduced the parts at Singapore in 2012 , he was unstoppable .

It’s very simple :
            The team give everything to vettel
            Vettel gives his best to the team and wins everything

Anything more than that is just speculation .

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 1st September 2013, 9:19

@me4me

Why didn’t they build the car more to Webber’s liking after the start of the 2012 season?

Its simple… because Seb is their #1 driver and they have more faith in him delivering the title. Thats not really driver equality

• @todfod I don’t agree that they made the car specifically to Seb’s liking, rather they made it faster. There is no denying the car was quicker in Singapore than it had been for most of the season (barring a couple of races such as Valencia).

Sure, Vettel may get a hand in how the car is generally adapted but speed is obviously the primary concern, not how it suits Vettel.

• Traverse (@) said on 1st September 2013, 15:17

I think that people are confusing equal treatment with equal talent. People assume that if two drivers are treated equally within a team, that automatically guarantees that both drivers will achieve equal results – if Vet wins 6 races in a season, that means Web must also win 6 otherwise there’s something fishy going on. Vettel destroys Webber week in week out, so people assume that he must receive preferential treatment, but that isn’t the case. The reason for Vettel’s dominance over Webber is simple – Vettel is a more naturally gifted (his temperament and ability to deal with pressure) and superior racing driver (he rarely puts a foot wrong). Webber on the other hand can’t even achieve a half decent start to the race, he could start on pole and by the first corner be sat in 6th position; Webber consistently has terrible starts due to his inferior ability.

So, RBR absolutely treat their drivers equally, but Vettel’s beast like abilities make it appear (to mere mortals at least) as though he’s got an unfair advantage, which is why people incorrectly jump to the ‘No.1 driver’ conclusion.

Ironically, claiming that RBR have a No.1 driver policy is actually a compliment to Vettel. :)

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 1st September 2013, 16:35

I’m the 1st to admit that Vettel is superior to Webber in every aspect of this sport… but does Vettel get that little extra support from his team? Most definitely

How else would you explain Silverstone 2010? Would you call that driver equality?

• Tell me,Todford, would you consider Malaysia 2013 an example of “driver equality” within Mercedes?

Mercedes claims that they treat their drivers equally. Rather obviously, they don’t. But the people who claim to be indignant at Red Bull’s “dishonesty” never seem very concerned with identical (or greater) dishonesty on the part of other teams. Why is that?

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 2nd September 2013, 8:06

@jonsan

Well.. we aren’t talking about Mercedes are we? I never said Mercedes was driver equality either, nor did I say Ferrari was all about driver equality.

Red Bull constantly harp on about driver equality, and have said its their racing philosophy. The fact is that they should just keep quiet about it instead of trying to convince the world with their bs.

• Traverse (@) said on 2nd September 2013, 11:04

@todfod
            They Would keep quiet if Webber stopped bleating on about how unfairly he is treated. The bs at RBR emanates from Webber.

• Sebastian gets the car designed around his driving style…

The assumption there seems to be that there is something very unique about Seb’s driving style and that a car “designed around” it will pose a difficult challenge to other drivers. That assumption is, to be polite about it, unproven.

If there was a rift in the team, its always been obvious who the team favours.

It’s not at all obvious. Neither driver has ever been punished for ignoring team orders, in spite of Mark’s numerous self-pitying suggestions to the contrary. If Red Bull really had the degree of favoritism towards Vettel which you (and Mark) claim they do, then Webber would have been sacked years ago.

5. hugomac (@hugomac) said on 1st September 2013, 2:17

The most Non-Equality team in the history of F1……

6. celeste (@celeste) said on 1st September 2013, 2:38

Perhaps more interesting is his slight distancing of himself from Webber, as if he knows his compatriot has burned one too many bridges at Milton Keynes.

Smart boy that Daniel

• RogerD said on 1st September 2013, 12:03

He’s smart because he’s not buying into the whole “RBR favouritism” thing before he’s even officially got the drive.
      I mean seriously what else would he say?? “Yeah, they’ve screwed Mark over for years and I’m looking forward to more of the same. Can’t wait!!!”

7. Makana (@makana) said on 1st September 2013, 2:58

Looking forward to seeing Daniel in RBR, even though he’s not a big name (so far) and I really hope he doesn’t get sucked into the political vacuum too early… not sure if Mark filled his head with all sorts of conspiracy nonsense… that will do him no good whatsoever.

8. Traverse (@) said on 1st September 2013, 3:14

Ricciardo must be the happiest driver in F1 – he never stops smiling! It’s actually quite infectious.

9. HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st September 2013, 3:21

@montreal95, 50 years ago today , coincidentally a perfect illustration of what could happen when 1 or 2 cars blitzed the field, albeit with few top teams competing.

10. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 1st September 2013, 6:14

” From what I hear the team is very much interested in equality.”

Wait till you start beating him , then you will know .

I hope what Ricciardo says is right though . If he can qualify better than Vettel and then fight for position it will be interesting next year . Of course vettel always is better and tends to have an upper finger ( hand ) .

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 1st September 2013, 8:22

If he can qualify better than Vettel

If he can qualify better than Vettel

Thats one of the biggest IFs I’ve ever seen.

I have a feeling Ricciardo might out qualify Seb like 3-4 times in the entire season.

Am I the only guy here who thinks Red Bull has put one of the least exciting candidates to drive alongside Seb. I dont see this inter team battle being any more competitive than battle between Massa and ALonso at Ferrari

• David-A (@david-a) said on 1st September 2013, 9:03

@todfod Of course, you’re not alone. I wanted Kimi to go there. I think he would have been competitive, worthy of some more wins and title challenges, and is a cool enough customer to co-exist with Vettel.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 1st September 2013, 9:25

Kimi would have been great .. and lets face it.. nothing would be more exciting than Vettel and Alonso in the same team (as hypothetical as it is)

But I thought there are much more interesting drivers to pair alongside Vettel – Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Sutil, Button, Bianchi.
          Hamilton and Rosberg have a great future at Mercedes, so I wont include them in the list.

Personally, I think Ricciardo is no better than Buemi. Above average qualifier and below average racer

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 1st September 2013, 9:09

Kimi would have been the dream combo :( . However , it’s time to wake up to reality and pinch yourself and hope it’s not a dream in a dream.

• RogerD said on 1st September 2013, 12:13

RBR are entirely uninterested in exciting drivers and inter-team battles – F1 isn’t the WWE. RBR exist only to win races and world championships (preferably making a profit doing so) and they’ll pick a driving team that they think gives them the best chance of doing exactly that.

Boring? Probably, but this is business.

• @todfod I agree, I would’ve preferred Räikkönen also. But I think we ought to give Ricciardo a shot should they sign him before encombering him with the number two driver label.

I don’t expect him to beat Vettel. But then again, I didn’t expect Räikkönen to beat Vettel. So I’m looking for him to definitely improve as the season progresses to the extent where he’s challenging Vettel for wins and poles in particular on a fairly regular basis. If he manages that, I think he can start 2015 off on the right foot and hopefully mount a sustained challenge to justify his position there as Räikkönen inevitably would.

So for Red Bull’s sake, I hope he’s good (if of course they’ve signed him).

• Robbie said on 3rd September 2013, 21:48

I have no issue with DR, but I know that KR would have meant 2 proven WDC roosters on a top team which I think should always be the hope for F1 fans for what they tout as the pinnacle of racing. KR would definitely have taken the challenge to SV, even if SV still bettered him. I don’t feel DR will take it to SV in the same way, and may be a psychological number 2 if nothing else. Hope I’m wrong, but it’s just that with this signing of DR I(we) now have to see it to believe it if he can and will and will be allowed to take the fight to SV, whereas with KR we know what we would have been in for. Two gladiators.

11. BJ (@beejis60) said on 1st September 2013, 7:18

I really like the street circuits the indy cars race on, but they look harsh and crazy bumpy. I think it would be great to see F1 cars on these courses.

12. ken (@kenke) said on 1st September 2013, 7:44

Just another H fretzen,much was expected,but could not maintain a championship challenge

• Aussie F1 said on 2nd September 2013, 3:11

wow talk about delivering the verdict before the trial! By all means make this judgement next year if you still feel the same way, but to say that now is a bit presumptuous and also a little bit silly as a result.

• ken (@kenke) said on 3rd September 2013, 21:49

i’m not being posthumous,i’m just being realistic about what will happen come 2014, vettel has the car built around him by red bull,does 2010,2011,2012 and soon to be 2013 champ ring a bell,of course i believe in Ricardo’s potential but expect “Webbers Misfortunes”to happen to ricardo

13. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 1st September 2013, 7:52

Red Bull are interested in equality in the same way I’m interested in religion.

I’m interested in the way it works, and know it’s good for other people, but I wouldn’t want it for myself.

14. Alex (@korbendallas) said on 1st September 2013, 8:18

I’d love to read that Autosport article. I wonder what Ferrari’s performance would be like if they didn’t get all that extra money and special treatment from FOM. Yes, they’ve been in the sport a the longest and have the most wins, but they aren’t short of cash and it’s not like they’re going to leave formula one if their subsidy is cut – I think the Ferrari brand probably needs F1 more than the F1 brand needs Ferrari.

Meanwhile, newer teams and those who don’t do so well are being progressively squeezed. They don’t get a lot of TV exposure which hurts their sponsorship deals, so they are forced to try to compete on a much lower budget. Meanwhile Ferrari gets first dibs on a huge slice of the pie (a minimum of US$62.2m per year), and also apparently a veto on the tech regs.

RBR and McLaren also share in considerably more money than the rest of the paddock by virtue of their finishing positions in 2008-11 (along with Ferrari – detailed in the link above). It would be nice to see how the field would look if the prize money was more equitably distributed, and the engineers from the smaller teams had a bigger budget to play with.

15. Libellula (@ladyf1fanatic) said on 1st September 2013, 8:31

Good luck Daniel Ricciardo, brightest smile ever in F1!
    I have something else on my mind, that comment of the day from Matt Somerfield got me worried… Seriously, 2014 better be a year of ‘revolution’
    Don’t kill my hopes, I expect great things.