Mexico in, New Jersey out on 21-race 2014 calendar

2014 F1 calendar

Riccardo Patrese, Nigel Mansell, Williams, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, 1991The provisional 2014 F1 calendar features a record 21 races and sees Mexico return as New Jersey is dropped again.

The draft calendar, revealed by Autosport, features three races not on this year’s schedule in Mexico, Austria and Russia. The latter will take place at a new venue in Sochi.

A planned race on the streets of New Jersey, which was originally on the 2013 schedule but later dropped, has failed to find a place again. Bernie Ecclestone has said on several occasions the chances of the race happening looked doubtful.

There is no Indian Grand Prix on the planned schedule but is expected to return in 2015.

Korea will move from its present October slot to an April date, though it is listed as being subject to approval, as are the Mexican and Russian races. The latter pair will take place towards the end of the 21-race schedule.

Some team principals had previously said they do not want to see the schedule extend beyond 20 races, as there were on last year’s calendar.

Round Race Circuit Date Forum

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Williams/LAT

112 comments on Mexico in, New Jersey out on 21-race 2014 calendar

1 2 3
  1. William (@william) said on 5th September 2013, 11:41

There is a mistake already. Korea moving forwards maybe rain on the cards. Russia will get through. There will probably be no more races cut. Argentina and Chile in 2015 for F1?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th September 2013, 13:12

@william – It’s unlikely to be run at all. The economy couldn’t support it, and the plans for a race in Mar del Plata appear to have been put forward to distract the public from domestic issues.

And I have no idea where you’re getting the idea if a Chilean Grand Prix from.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 6th September 2013, 5:22

@william – That’s hardly the most reliable source. Most major news sources will pick up on any plans early on, no matter how specious or far-flung they may seem. Like when Hugo Chavez announced that he wanted to hold a Venezuelan Grand Prix on the Isla Margarita back in 2009. But I can’t find anything to corroborate the idea that Argentina, who have made several bids in recent memory, will lobby for a spot on the 2015 calendar, much less Chile, who as far as I am aware have never expressed any interest in hosting a race.

• As a Mexican I Am happy to hear the news and already decided to attend from the farthest corner of my country, provided confirmation by FIA.
          In regards to the article mentioned and dated September 4 2013, it does announce a rivalry between a new venue in Chile and an old one in Argentina, it mentions the confirmation of a moto gp race for next year at the Argentinian track, which I just tried, but could not find next year calendar at the moto gp site, the Chilean site is said to be finished by the end of this year in the same article. The article is at the Link Above and corresponds to infobae.com, hope it helps.
          Congratulations to all the other sites in the calendar and looking forward to more races, and Austria is a great track. If it happens in Mexico, hope to see you all here.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 5th September 2013, 14:59

Chile? Where did that come from? @william

How’s Sochi weather in October?

Other than physical, 21 races will be financially demanding for a number of teams.

• @jcost I don’t think finance would be an issue – unless they had to employ another race team the extra sponsorship money from having more tv coverage should easily negate transport costs etc. I would believe.

• photozen said on 5th September 2013, 16:42

Sochi’s weather in October is ok, somewhere around 17-20 that time of year, with lows in the low teens. There is a lot of citrus grown in the general region along the Black Sea coast with many resorts there, from Sochi over thru Abkhazia and into Georgia. It is considered the Russian Riviera, have spent a lot of time in Abkhazia and Georgia and al ot of times my transit out of the region is via Sochi back to Moscow and back to Geneva, CH, for my work, etc.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 5th September 2013, 21:04

“The month of October is characterized by rapidly falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs decreasing from 23°C to 18°C over the course of the month, exceeding 26°C or dropping below 14°C only one day in ten. ”

So no snow, sadly :(

• David-A (@david-a) said on 5th September 2013, 15:33

Well, the 2010 Korean Grand Prix was one of the most exciting races of the 2010 season, in pouring rain. More exciting than the 2011 race, and that in turn was much better than the 2012 race.

2. Proesterchen (@proesterchen) said on 5th September 2013, 11:44

I think the German GP is scheduled to run at Hockenheim again in 2014, not the NĂĽrburgring.

3. 21 GP seems overkill to me.

Since the turn of the century the calendar has gained four extra race weekends and an extra month in length.

The season finishing a day before opening my advent calendar (it’s perfectly acceptable to still have one right?) seems quite a strange prospect, although as we know back in the early years of the championship, races in December-February were fairly common)

4. maxthecat said on 5th September 2013, 11:46

It’s pretty simple to get the Americans’ to love F1. Have only drivers from the U.S and still call it a World Championship. Much like Baseball and NBA.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 5th September 2013, 12:19

But… NBA is a national league, it’s right there in the name. Much like Bundesliga or English Premier League are national football leagues. NBA is widely considered the best basketball league in the world, but they employ many players who were born outside of the United States… and they don’t call it a “World Championship”. This comparison is just wrong on every level.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 5th September 2013, 15:12

@maroonjack
        But in NBA they were used to call the champion “World Champion”. It’s a no brainer, once the NBA champion is probably the best team in the world but the league doesn’t call its champion “World Champion” officialy anymore, I guess.

• Steve C said on 5th September 2013, 12:44

I guess you don’t watch the MLB or NBA because they’re full of non-Americans, especially Baseball. When you have a sport at the pro level that dominates like baseball, basketball, American football and even hockey with the NHL, you might as well call it a World Champoinship because there isn’t better competition anywhere.

Why are you so upset, is it because Bernie understands where the money is at?

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 5th September 2013, 11:46

Mexico and Austria are two venues I’m really looking forward to. Both tracks have character, charisma, which is something that makes a weekend special imo. If my bank account gives permission, maybe I can get hold of some tickets for Austria next year. :)

6. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 5th September 2013, 11:47

@Keithcollantine I think the Brazilian gp month is wrong.

7. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 5th September 2013, 11:50

Really great and rather unexpected to see two old circuits returning. I never thought I’d see it happen.

8. marsianwalrus (@einariliyev) said on 5th September 2013, 11:50

Looks to me like the best F1 Calendar for at least 10 years – Mexico (providing they don’t mess with Hermanos Rodriguez too much) and A1-Ring are both fantastic tracks, and Russia has the potential to be at least good. Without Bahrain and with New Jersey, the calendar would look perfect, but I’ll take this one all the same.

9. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 5th September 2013, 11:58

I don’t approve of the Korean GP. Please get rid of it.

Shame about New Jersey, but I’ve been half-expecting this ever since they started saving dates for Montreal, Austria and a clear weekend for Le Mans – there just wasn’t a space for it.

• PeterGH said on 5th September 2013, 13:45

I don’t approve of the Korean GP. Please get rid of it.

I like the korean Gp, its a decent track (drivers like it) & the races have been pretty good, kept me thoroughly entertained throughout with some nice battles, good overtaking etc….

• Korea is likely there as a bargaining chip. I.e. they are contracted to hold races – either hold another one 6 months after the last huge loss of an event, or pay up even more than they wanted to cancel the remainder of the contract. Russia and Mexico will be in if building work etc. is done. New Jersey will join up when they can get enough money/their slot back with Canada. So I expect 20 races next year, co-incidentally the amount Bernie can get without paying extra money to the teams. Go figure!

10. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 5th September 2013, 12:00

It’s a bit long but not actually that bad. Having two races in the United States always seemed a tad unnecessary to me so having one in Mexico certainly spreads it out a bit more. Putting Korea with the first few flyaway races also makes sense logistically though personally I would’ve got rid of it or Bahrain instead of India. Finally the addition of another European races (or two – I don’t know if Sochi is classed as Europe) is certainly going to be a welcome addition considering some peoples complaints about the lack of European races.

• William (@william) said on 5th September 2013, 12:02

Bernoe won’t get rid of Bahrain. Russia is technically part of both Asia and Europe. Good provisional calendar I must say besides I don’t want in season testing at all

• thatscienceguy said on 5th September 2013, 12:45

But Mexico City is closer to Austin than New Jersey is. Going to Mexico City is hardly spreading the races around!

• DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 5th September 2013, 13:11

Nurburgring and Spa are also relatively near each other so surly we don’t need them both =P

Seriously though, the point I was trying to make is that I’d rather two different countries have one race each than one country hosting two races.

11. Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 5th September 2013, 12:05

21 races is a pretty big ask of the teams. That’s a lot of people putting in a lot of long work weeks.

I’m glad Melbourne is still kicking off the season.
    And I think moving the Korean GP might help the enthusiasm for it although april does tend to be a bit chilly there, even down south.

12. Brazil is in November.

13. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 5th September 2013, 12:21

It’s very bizarre to see only two far-east races during the second flyaway period. And only one of them is an early morning wakeup call (from my European perspective, of course).

Interesting to see Korea move to the start of the season. I wonder how this will affect the entertainment value of the race, since races held at the more unpredictable end of the season tend to be more exciting. I remember when China was held at the end of the season, it was usually (without the intervention of rain) a rather dull race. But since moving to the start of the season, it’s become one of the most consistently exciting Grands Prix on the calendar.

It will also be interesting to see how Hnos. Rodriguez is modernised. It’d be nice to see them race on the current circuit, but I can’t see how they can bring the track to FIA safety standards without dramatically altering the venue. I would assume they will use the old detour through the baseball stadium as they did in the Champ Car days.

14. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 5th September 2013, 12:27

I thought a deal was struck between Bernie and the Bahrain king that the Sakhir circuit would host the opening race?

Guess those plans didn’t come to fruition then eh?

15. Steve C said on 5th September 2013, 12:47

I just don’t understand how the people in Mexico believe that fans will come to their country. There are more drug killings right now than ever before. It’s sad down there.

• William (@william) said on 5th September 2013, 12:54

Do you live there?

• JCost (@jcost) said on 5th September 2013, 15:27

Mexico City is not the safest place in the world but it’s one of the most populated places on earth, so they don’t need zillions of foreigners to sell out the event, I wonder how this event will affect the US GP in terms of attendance.

I will not go though. I hear many bad stories about SĂŁo Paulo too. I’ve been there twice, once for the GP and everything went alright.

• JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 5th September 2013, 16:24

Mexico as a whole is pretty unsafe at the moment (apparently), but Mexico City is a long way from being the worst. In fact, if we’re going to talk about killings, there are many cities in the USA with far worse murder rates than Mexico City.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th September 2013, 22:03

Most of the drug-related violence in Mexico has been between the cartels as they fight for control of smuggling routes in the northern states. The capital – and the wider civilian population – have been largely unaffected.

To suggest that the race should not happen because if this violence is the same as suggesting that the Australian Grand Prix should not be held in Melbourne because outlaw bikie gangs are fighting for control over the local methamphetamine market in Sydney.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 6th September 2013, 8:00

Two points @ Steve C:

They don’t need to rely on foreigners to sell the event. Mexico City is not only one of the most populated places on earth, but also one of the wealthiest metropolitan areas in the world.

Believe it or not, Mexico City is also relatively safe. Definitely safer than New York or Chicago. It’s not Juarez, Monterrey or Acapulco.

• Beto (@chebeto0) said on 6th September 2013, 10:40

You know what’s sad? Your ignorance.

• Bobby Balboa (@bobby-balboa) said on 6th September 2013, 19:48

I can’t believe my reply to Steve C got deleted. Did someone find it offensive? If it was in some way then Steve C’s post should have also been removed.

I didn’t use any offensive language just merely pointed out his narrow minded comment and disagreed. Strange

1 2 3