Alonso defends ‘perfect’ tactics after radio complaints

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monza, 2013Fernando Alonso denied Ferrari’s tactics to have team mate Felipe Massa give him a slipstream during qualifying for the Italian Grand Prix had failed despite criticising his team during the session.

Alonso complained twice during Q3 as he struggled to stay within range of Massa. During his last run Alonso said “Felipe’s too far” as he ran behind his team mate. However after qualifying Alonso said the team’s tactics had been “perfect”.

“We planned to have a him a little bit in the front and he was helping me on the straight. In the end Ricciardo was in the middle of us but then Ricciardo let me by, Felipe wait me a little bit for the last corner so it was perfect. This extra tenth or something was thanks to him.”

Alonso qualified fifth, one hundredth of a second behind Massa. Ferrari president Luca di Montemolo was in the team’s garage to watch their qualifying performance at their home race.

Technical director Pat Fry also claimed the tactics had worked: “In reality, in terms of those positions, we picked up a tow so that part of it worked,” he said.

“Now we’ve got to keep on, we obviously have to build a quicker car still, don’t we?”

“Asked why Alonso had complained Massa was too far ahead Fry said: “No, I think it was the right gap to be honest. Three seconds back is good position to be in.”

Shortly after qualifying Alonso took to Twitter to reiterate his satisfaction with the result: “A good [qualifying] finally after the last Saturdays so so… Tomorrow we must try to be close to Red Bull in first part of the race!”

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Italian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

106 comments on Alonso defends ‘perfect’ tactics after radio complaints

1 2 3
  1. liam (@) said on 7th September 2013, 15:22

Should have stayed closer on the out lap. Fernando only has himself to blame, plus he made a mistake in sector 2.

• Should have stayed closer on the out lap.

He could get no closer as mr Ricciardo was there between alonso & massa.
      Alonso wasn’t able to pass Ricciardo until just before Ascari when Daniel moved over.

I just saw it from sky italy Ferrari in-car channel.

alonso complaints on the radio was due to ferrari mis-timing sending the 2 cars out which allowed ricciardo to hinder the out laps & prevent alonso been as close to felipe as planned.

• Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 7th September 2013, 15:51

Wrong Ferrari send them out at the wrong time so like AdamB said and Ferrari should have known by know towing is not going to work.

• Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 7th September 2013, 18:43

I’m not sure why people thought he was complaining on the radio? Thats how he always sounds on the radio… its just because of his accent that it sounds moanish.

He said on the OUTLAP (considering the radio is very delayed!) that Filipe was too far ahead, which to me sounds like nothing more than him trying to help orchestrate the teamwork intensive exercise.

• guido (@guidof1) said on 7th September 2013, 19:11

he was definitely complaining over the radio as he usually does when things do not go his way.

Plus I am quite sure that both cars were sent out at the same time

• Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 7th September 2013, 19:58

He always sounds the same no matter what he is saying. You have to ignore his tone because him shouting combined with his accent makes english people think he is complaining, when all he is doing is talking loud like Fernando always does over the radio.

“I am quite sure that both cars were sent out at the same time”

That is a pointless fact considering they then do an entire outlap which makes keeping the gap exactly correct very hard to do.

• guido (@guidof1) said on 7th September 2013, 23:22

OK, I do agree he always sounds moanish but its not about what he sounded like but what he said.
            I remember perfectly the tv footage showing Massa rolling down the pit lane and Alonso right behind him.
            Don’t get me wrong, I think Alonso is a truly great driver. I just find boring the fact the he is always blaming the others when he doesnt deliver

2. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 7th September 2013, 15:23

Funny.

He’s clearly trying to compensate for his radio frustrations.

3. George (@george) said on 7th September 2013, 15:24

What a lot of nonsense. If the tactics worked Massa wouldn’t be ahead of Alonso.

4. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 7th September 2013, 15:24

Give credit to Fernando. He’s really good at languages…

5. Well, for the first time since Malaysia I believe Massa outqualified Alonso, so clearly the tactics were far from “perfect”. Quite why Ferrari don’t just focus on helping Alonso improve his qualifying (which isn’t exactly emphatically strong even without the added mental stresses of tactics) I don’t really know…

6. zoom (@zoomracing) said on 7th September 2013, 15:29

It was meant to be a tow for both drivers. I think the team screwed the tow order and the timing, but is OK, Alonso can get into the podium and Massa maybe too. But the title is over.

7. Daniel (@collettdumbletonhall) said on 7th September 2013, 15:30

I wonder if they’ll actually sack him if he continues like this. If I was Domenicali I’d probably chuck them both out and go for a fresh start with Raikkonen and Hulkenberg.

8. yoyoyo said on 7th September 2013, 15:34

why is it only Ferrari try the tow effect? they wouldn’t have got pole anyway, they are better in the race. alosno will still finish second anyway tomorrow (behind vettel), so the qualifying position doesn’t matter that much.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th September 2013, 15:40

Because only Ferrari are willing to risk sacrificing the qualifying performance of one of their drivers – i.e. Massa. As pointed out by Whitmarsh (though he obviously did not refer explicitly to Ferrari).

• yoyoyo said on 7th September 2013, 16:20

but in all the years they have tried it, his it gave them an advantage? I think they stuffed it last year also… they can easily swap them during the race. I guess if during the practise sessions they were within a tenth of a second of redbull it would be worth the risk, otherwise it is just ruining the drivers laps, not only do they have to concentrate on a perfect lap, but also try to coordinate a tow.

• Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 7th September 2013, 20:03

I actually think they do it just for the show in front of their home crowd. Doing something and qualifying badly sure is better than doing nothing and still doing badly.

9. TMF (@tmf42) said on 7th September 2013, 15:34

would be surprised if the “Siete scemi” won’t have an aftermath – LDM is already quite annoyed and that might just do it.

10. dennis (@dennis) said on 7th September 2013, 15:35

Regardless of it working or not, looking at that stuff was cringeworthy.

• Dusty in California (@dusty-in-california) said on 7th September 2013, 19:15

It was embarrassing to watch. Maybe if they were swapping positions lap on lap, I could credit Ferrari for trying something different. Instead Massa is just being abused… and they still screw it up.

• i have to disagree with you there, it worked or not, it did spice-up the qualifying, clearly both were given opportunity to post quali lap at the end. Oh come-on drafting with f1 cars !, treat to my eyes.

11. John F1 fan said on 7th September 2013, 15:37

There are various things coming out of Italy. The thing that is causing the confusion is the difference between the words “scemi” idiots and “geni” geniuses. Here’s the link to the Gazzetta dello Sport http://www.gazzetta.it/Sport-Motori/Formula1/07-09-2013/f1-montezemolo-speravo-prima-fila-alonso-scemi-no-grazie-felipe-201114364679.shtml

The problem either way is that even if he said “geni” it could be taken ironically. Alonso claims he said “geni”. But it all has to do with the way the comment is said. Apparenty Luca di Montazemolo isn’t bothered. Weird stuff either way.

12. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 7th September 2013, 15:38

It’s not the first time Alonso reacts badly at the heat of the moment. Remember when he yelled Petrov at the end of Abu Dhabi 2010? What did Petrov do wrong that day? He was defending position, and nicely, not making 2 moves or anything like that.
    Probably Alonso needs more yoga instead of warriors books … =P

13. Eggry (@eggry) said on 7th September 2013, 15:49

Well I think Montezemolo would angry about the failure of the tactic. I don’t feel Monty would be angry about Alonso’s inappropriate radio message.

• Exactly. You can understand Alonso’s frustrations, so his comments don’t really mean much in the long run. They shouldn’t be wasting their time with those ridiculous tactics, taking the drivers focus away a little.

Fernando was fast all weekend and I think could have managed at least 3rd (probably second) given his form up until FP3. Once again, Ferrari shoot themselves in the foot by complicating things when there is simply no need!

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 7th September 2013, 19:40

I’m sick of Alonso’s complaints and frustrations. Why can’t he just come up with an excuse (understeer, oversteer, brakes, steering, not enough downforce, can’t get the tires working etc.) after every race, sit down relax and enjoy the luxurious of an overpaid race driver like many others do. But noooo, he has to fight for that title every season and annoy us fans with his stern determination and samurai stuff. Jeez this guy should really take some lessons from Button.

• Slava (@slava) said on 7th September 2013, 21:27

Why don’t you stop following F1 now? I know that EVERY driver complains when something is going wrong.
          he has to fight for that title every season and annoy us fans with his stern determination” – actually, what is this?

I feel your comment is absolutely disgusting if you are a fan of F1.

I don’t understand why you, FANS, so dissatisfied with what any pilot says and how he reacts? How they should act? I’m pretty sure they are ordinary people with ordinary wishes. I am absolutely certain that if you were in his situation you would complain too.

What I see in this situation is that Alonso has the right to be dissatisfied! He did enormous work last year. Yeah, that mostly pure luck that Nando was fighting for a WDC until the very last race. But after unexpected performance last year Ferrari technical department must have create a superfast car. Instead of that they did car that doesn’t swiftly eat tyres. After that Ferrari didn’t support his drivers efforts at all.
          And when you have done huge amount of work and you work is thrown away not because of you fault then you’re becoming angry and irate.

Is it so difficult or sophisticated for understanding, guys?

• @klaas the samurai stuff is annoying though to many people, so I don’t know why you’ve included that in your evidently sarcastic comment.

14. andae23 (@andae23) said on 7th September 2013, 15:54

I haven’t heard Alonso saying the post-qualifying quotes, but it almost comes across as ironic. It was not good qualifying session for him, so to use a word like “perfect”, quite the other end of the spectrum, is plain weird. Just think about it: his team has slapped him on the wrist for criticizing the team in public and according to some dubious reports he’s uncomfortable within the team at the moment, so what better way for letting out frustration by annoying the team just a wee bit more?

Please note, I’m speculating – I can’t know fo’ sure until I’ve heard the interview.

• He definitely wasn’t genuine in his expression. Every word his said veiled the frustration he clearly feels – but I would assume he’s been put in his place after the previous run in with Luca!

15. geekracer2000 (@geekracer2000) said on 7th September 2013, 16:28

“…Felipe wait me a little bit for the last corner so it was perfect. This extra tenth or something was thanks to him.”
    Wait Massa slowed down to wait for him and still ended up in front of him?

1 2 3