Alonso says he needs Vettel retirements to win title

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monza, 2013Fernando Alonso admitted he needs Sebastian Vettel to post more retirements to bring him back into contention for the world championship.

The Ferrari driver is 53 points behind Vettel with seven races remaining, and 175 points still up for grabs.

“I think we need to be realistic about the championship now there?s a very big gap,” said Alonso. “We don?t have enough races and probably we don?t have the speed right now to win some consecutive races and hope to reduce the gap just by pace.”

“We need to be lucky and we need to have some DNFs from Sebastian or something to win the championship.”

Alonso likened the situation to last year when Vettel caught and overhauled him in the second half of the season:

“With the races left and the points disadvantage, it?s hard but in a way, it was exactly the same last year.

“We could only lose the championship, with 41 points advantage in front of Sebastian after the Monza race. It was difficult for him to catch up and so it was maybe up to us. We didn?t complete the job and we had a DNF in Suzuka and some other problems.

“There?s still a long way to go. We will try until the last race to be as good as we can and score as many points as possible and then in Brazil we will see how many points we have compared to him.”

Despite Vettel’s lead Alonso said the championship battle is “more tight this year than 2011″ when the Red Bull driver clinched the championship with four races to spare.

“Also there are more teams in the battle,” Alonso added, “there is not only Red Bull who can be on pole position.”

“There is Mercedes who have done many pole positions this year etc… So many races are coming with many interesting combinations of performance so what we have to do is try to be close to the top in all track characteristics.”

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

101 comments on Alonso says he needs Vettel retirements to win title

1. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 8th September 2013, 21:15

Unless God comes down from heaven and announces that he never really liked Red Bull that much and will see to it that they don’t score again this year, then I don’t think anyone has a chance of beating Vettel.

• Far too pessimistic :-).
      For instance, how about alien abduction, it happens to other people, why not Vettel? About four missed GP’s for him should make the last one very interesting.

2. trigger (@trigger) said on 8th September 2013, 21:19

I’m certainly no fan of Alonso but I can’t understand why people want to make an issue out of this .

When there is a penalty in football or rugby for the opposing team I hope they miss.
    In cricket I hope the opposing batsman plays a poor shot .

Alonso will certainly be hoping the red bull hit reliability issue as he wants to win the title . Its not like him hoping or me hoping for them to happen makes it happen .

For me bad sportsmanship is more like diving at football (cheating in essence)

3. jre_f1 (@jre_f1) said on 8th September 2013, 21:50

Its over, Vettel is capable of winning every single Grand Prix from here on in.

What an absolutely dreadful season.

Woeful.

• thank FIA for bulking under pressure.

At least ferrari can still race. Force india have lost a fortune due to lost points.

4. Glenn (@glennb) said on 9th September 2013, 0:27

Personally, I see Alonso’s comment as high praise to Vettel. I don’t see it as being disrespectful at all. What higher compliment can one sportsman make of another other than to say “I can’t possibly win while you are playing so well”, or “The only way I can beat this guy is if he does not finish the race”. Totally complimentary IMO.

5. mixwell (@mixwell) said on 9th September 2013, 2:35

mark of a true samurai :/

6. iFelix (@ifelix) said on 9th September 2013, 10:30

I am not an Alonso fan by any stretch of imagination and after Kimi, Seb and two Nicos are my favourite drivers. But I think Alonso was stating an obvious fact and if it sounded a little bit “ill-wishing” I would put it down to him speaking in a foreign language which is obvious he doesn’t master. None of us could read his mind, but I think as a race-driver to another, he doesn’t even wishes Seb to have a bad crash or something (most drivers are superstitious about this stuff), but I don’t think he wouldn’t pray for 1-2 engine/gearbox problem.
    Whether he would be able to capitalise, should such events happen is another matter though…

7. Girts (@girts) said on 9th September 2013, 10:34

I think Alonso has just stated the obvious. Nothing suggests that Ferrari will have the best car for the rest of the season. And even if Alonso wins all the remaining races and Vettel finishes 2nd, Alonso still won’t be champion. Moreover, Vettel and Red Bull have always been strong at the upcoming venues. Vettel actually won four races in a row after the Italian GP in 2012. So there is every reason to be pessimistic about Alonso’s title hopes. Even if Vettel doesn’t finish two races for whatever reason, it will still be a long shot.

8. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th September 2013, 11:40

Too many people have assumed that because Alonso has said he needs this to happen he wants it to happen. They’re not the same thing: the former is a realistic view of the championship situation, the latter would be rather unsporting. I’m sure when it comes to a question of what Alonso wants his preference would be to win the title by regularly beating Vettel, not lucking into it through Red Bull unreliability.

9. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 9th September 2013, 15:38

What Alonso is trying to imply here is, only misfortune can stop Vettel from winning. Apart from that, no one can go close to him.

Vettel fan here, but we all have to learn to read in between the lines?

10. Singapore is a completely different track to Monza and Spa. Mercedes was dominant in Hungary, Lotus fastest in Germany, Mercedes fastest at Silverstone.

11. Just a statement of the painfully obvious from Alonso. He’s made some borderline remarks in the past about how it would be helpful if somebody would “run over” Vettel, but I don’t see how he can be faulted here. Barring a number of DNF’s for Vettel (it would probably take three in the last seven GP’s) this season is done.

12. before monza i figured that if ALO and VET finish 1-2 (in that order) for every race till Interlagos (inclusive), ALO would nick the title. Now it has to be five 1-2s and two 1-3s… a tall order.