Rate the race: 2013 Italian Grand Prix

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Nico Hulkenberg, Sauber, Monza, 2013What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Italian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (5%)
  • 4 (10%)
  • 5 (19%)
  • 6 (27%)
  • 7 (21%)
  • 8 (10%)
  • 9 (2%)
  • 10 (2%)

Total Voters: 648

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Italian Grand Prix articles

243 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Italian Grand Prix

1. Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 8th September 2013, 14:40

Fairly dull race for me. A little bit of action later in the race but was a procession up front. 6/10 from me.

2. An okay 6, I guess. All the tension at the start came to nothing. The Bulls just too dominant, I’m afraid! But still decent lower midfield action nonethless

3. LotsOfControl (@for-unlawful-carnal-knowledge) said on 8th September 2013, 14:44

Monza is usually dull people. Just look it up.

4. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 8th September 2013, 14:45

5/10 Average. Boring at the front and midfield action was ok.

5. LotsOfControl (@for-unlawful-carnal-knowledge) said on 8th September 2013, 14:45

6,5 from me.

6. Not horrible, not great either. But given it’s all part of a new standard for this half of the season I’ll rate it 7/10.

DRS was right, tyres were right. Some good overtakes, the midfield was pretty competitive with Raikkonen and Hamilton thrown in there. Glad Torro Rosso and Sauber caught a good weekend here and made the whole thing a bit less boring. Otherwise, pretty average at the front, not much different than what happened at Spa really. Some rain probably would have helped…

But to be honest I’d be very surprised if the forthcoming races up to Abu Dhabi will deliver results of a different nature. This is probably as good as this end of the season is going to get, bar Yas Marina, COTA and Interlagos (races which probably won’t matter in the economy of the WDC and WCC anyway). So, yeah, 7 sounds about right.

7. kudos for Hulkenberg!!!!!!!

• Traverse (@) said on 8th September 2013, 14:53

He deserves a better car/team.

• Andrei (@andrei) said on 8th September 2013, 20:37

In fact he does! Last year I was very surprised when I read a lot of comments stating that his move to Sauber was an upgrade to his career. I think even Force India would have been a better place to wait for a top team offer.

• Traverse (@) said on 9th September 2013, 0:25

If he had stayed put at Force India his chances of landing the seat with Ferrari would’ve been greatly improved. Also Force India would be more evenly matched with McLaren this season (Sutil has been a let down). Damn you hindsight!! :)

• Palle (@palle) said on 8th September 2013, 22:04

;-)

8. John H (@john-h) said on 8th September 2013, 14:48

6/10. As Gary Anderson mentioned on the BBC, couldn’t Ferrari have left Massa out there to ‘destroy his [Vettel’s] race’?

• @john-h he’d have overtaken him fairly quickly I imagine, and absolutely no way would they get away with it if Massa crashed into him.

So I don’t think there’d be a great benefit – they’re better to take the constructor’s points.

9. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 8th September 2013, 14:49

Hamilton kept me awake.
    For the rest, easy win for Vettel and Red Bull. They were miles ahead this weekend.

10. Leader off into the distance, Ferrari strategy failure, recovery drives from “championship contenders” (that led to respectively 2 and 0 points), bunching up & Drs’ing.
    standard race in terms of excitement, but the final deathblow for the championship (gap is more than 2 race wins now!)
    4/10 for the race weekend due to predictability
    + 1 for Hulkenberg and Vettel

5/10

11. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 8th September 2013, 14:56

I gave it a 5. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good either. Bring on 2014!

12. A bit boring but it’s not exactly Vettel’s fault that the rest of field can’t keep up.

13. yawn

2014 can’t come soon enough

14. graham228221 (@graham228221) said on 8th September 2013, 14:56

YAWN. I really haven’t enjoyed an F1 race for months :( no one taking risks, no one looks like they’re on the limit, no one making mistakes… the cars look like I could drive them. This is the least entertaining season since I started watching F1 full time in 2008, there’s a perfect storm of features and gimmicks that I just don’t enjoy at all.

On the plus side, I finally had a storming weekend in the predictions championship (for me anyway).

But saying that, we’re well overdue a really classic race – and as I’m going to be at Singapore in a couple of weeks I’m really hoping the law of averages means that it will finally be a race worth watching (or even travelling half way round the world for!)

15. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 8th September 2013, 14:59

A perfect example of a race where the cars go flat out. The only overtakes were really as a result of the first stint incidents from Raikkonen and Hamilton, and the fastest driver in the fastest car won.

6/10. Had a few good moments, but couldn’t help but think this race could have been a bit more strategised to keep the action in..

• Mike (@mike) said on 9th September 2013, 4:15

Yeah, I think @Hohum probably wouldn’t like that explanation though! haha.

I actually gave it an 8. I really enjoyed it. It was exciting to see what would happen. Yeah so it didn’t turn out to be a big battle for the lead. I don’t think every race needs super action drama to be good to watch. The only thing I didn’t like was the booing Vettel. I’m no Vettel fan, but come on!

Hulk was massive.

Maybe it’s a sign that I’m too enthusiastic, that I rate most races highly ha!

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 9th September 2013, 7:25

@mike, well I only gave it 5, but on reflection I probably should have given it an extra point, like the prelates egg it was good in parts. My main impression was that had the track been wider more passing attempts would have succeeded, and of course had Lewis and Kimi not fluffed qualifying the battle for the podium could have been a lot more exciting.

16. mrjlr93 (@mrjlr93) said on 8th September 2013, 15:00

When mark goes to the fia wec championship next season I think I will be putting more of a focus on that rather than f1. I have nothing against red bull and vettel but I want to see the top teams battling each other for the race win and not just battling for 2nd and 3rd. If next season all cars can battle each other I think it would make the sport very interesting to watch again but right know and he is just my opinion I find f1 to be vwer boring at the present.

17. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 8th September 2013, 15:04

It was a 6 for me.
    Second race in a row where there’s been potential for a great race, but not much happened.
    Red Bull is just ridiculously dominant now. Vettel has just about got 2 hands on that trophy.

Pros:
    – Hulkenberg drove terrifically! DOTW for me.
    – Hamilton fighting back after a dismally unlucky race.
    – Good scrap between Alonso and Webber.
    – Alonso’s pass on Webber at the second chicane in the opening laps was the best pass of the year so far.
    – Red Bull’s double stacked pit stop was amazing. Both sub 3 second stops. Incredible.
    – Hamilton’s pass on Kimi was great.
    DRS, it was actually really good. No pass was overly easy, and still had some great racing.

Cons:
    – Vettel winning by such a large margin.**
    – Hamilton’s absolutely rotten luck with the slow puncture.
    – Di Resta was funny. I half expected him to blame the team for his DNF induced lock up.
    – I thought the Mclaren’s could have scored better. They were nowhere. Perhaps anticipating some precipitation???

** – I don’t think that the Vettel winning is a con, its just the sheer amount he wins by. This year has been very 2011-esque.

18. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 8th September 2013, 15:09

I’m almost 60 years old. I’ve been watching F1 since there were only one of three major television stations in America. The only one that carried it in the 60’s and a bit later was ABC and that was only for a few races in the season. But I loved it! I found this site some six years ago after I moved to SE Asia and I thought the live blog was fantastic. The racing was still quite real then and the site only had a few hundred members. It was great. I remember telling Keith at the time that I could see thousands of people hooking up with this site. Well the site has done much better that, but F1 rules and regulations are putting me to sleep. I don’t want to watch anymore.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 8th September 2013, 15:25

I’m pretty fed up with it too.

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 8th September 2013, 16:35

+1 Fed up, good job there are lots of other racing series.

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 8th September 2013, 16:39

For example one of the greatest if not the greatest parings of F1 drivers was Prost and Senna. Macca had the best car and the best drivers. Yeah it was brutal to watch… but one thing is sure, you never missed a race. Then again as much as I love Mansell it was a bore to see him walk away from Patresse race after race in the same car, and I still consider that a high point in F1. I don’t blame the Italian, I blame the way F1 was heading. Don’t comment if you weren’t there.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 8th September 2013, 20:23

@alex-bkk – My experience and age is similar to yours. I remember many times in the 60s when all F1 TV coverage we got was a week or two after the race watching highlights on the Wide World of Sports. As a long time observer of F1 I still find the sport to be fascinating overall, but it can be a bit of a bore at times too. Right now I find it to be less boring than some of the Schumacher years with grooved tires and many processional races. There are some similarities now with Vettel and Red Bull, but the other teams need to step up. I like some of the action and close racing now as long as it is not too contrived. Even with DRS and KERS it still takes skill, in most cases (with DRS), to pass. We still have some drivers passing regardless of contrivances and those are the true racers of the era. I would still vote for less DRS and aero to make for better close racing in less turbulent air. Anyways, I’m still watching and hoping.

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 9th September 2013, 4:22

@bull mello Good point about Shumacher’s era at Ferrari, but he was a monster of a pilot that used every trick in the book to win.

• Mike (@mike) said on 9th September 2013, 4:17

@alex-bkk Please explain which parts of the rules you don’t like.

The race was like that of six years ago, where the tyre wear was very low. Because of the low down force set ups the DRS was not significant.

What could possibly be wrong this race?

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 9th September 2013, 4:58

@mike I don’t actually owe you an explanation, but I’ll try. “Rules and regulations” is a broad term and maybe it’s more of a generalization of the current state of F1. It would apply to everything from the politics of the uppermost to the nuts and bolts of the lowermost, and it’s generally defined according to anyone’s particular bias. I’m not going to type it all out.

“What could possibly be wrong this race?”
        There was nothing wrong with this race if you liked it. I didn’t.

• @alex-bkk So everything in general is putting you to sleep?

Maybe this is a long term problem eh?

Given that you posted on a forum, I don’t think it’s unfair to expect scrutiny of what you say, especially sweeping comments with no real explanation.

19. It was average race in my view; a decent amount of overtaking within the midfield, but the battle for the lead stunk unfortunately. 6/10

20. liam (@) said on 8th September 2013, 15:12

7/10 good battle from 5th to 10th..

guess the only thing I’m now looking forward to is the Ferrari announcement..which I hear could be today or even in days. Hulk and Kimi toss up, I think!!.