Rate the race: 2013 Italian Grand Prix

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Nico Hulkenberg, Sauber, Monza, 2013What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Italian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (5%)
  • 4 (10%)
  • 5 (19%)
  • 6 (27%)
  • 7 (21%)
  • 8 (10%)
  • 9 (2%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 648

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Italian Grand Prix articles

243 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Italian Grand Prix

1 3 4 5
  1. TribalTalker (@tribaltalker) said on 8th September 2013, 17:42

It may be a strange thing to say, but I think Vettel is being held back by the RB-Newey support around him.
    As other people have noted, he hardly appears in the TV coverage, except at the podium, and then he gets booed by people who really should know better. This isn’t wrestling.
    Many people credit Newey (or luck) for Vettel’s success, as though the driver has no impact on how the race develops. Nonsense.
    If Vettel was in a lesser car or team, we would see more overtakes, a richer mix of skills, more crowd-pleasing stuff. He would be more popular.
    Having a great car, team and support encourages us to doubt his skills. I think that’s a shame.

• That is still speculation on your part, that he could do great stuff in a lesser team. Yes, he did good at STR in 2008, but don’t forget in that year STR had a better car than Red Bull, just like how Super Aguri had a better car than Honda.

2. Jody McLeod (@) said on 8th September 2013, 18:12

3- Another boring Vettel win… May as well watch the Caterhams and Marussias at the back, we already know who is going to win…

3. James (@goodyear92) said on 8th September 2013, 18:46

7/10

As with Spa, the win was almost certain before the lights had gone out. Vettel’s dominance wasn’t quite as apparent during the first stint as it was in Spa, but that can be attributed to his somewhat cautious driving as a result of the huge flat spot on his tyre. He was untouchable, and as much as I can admire and respect his and the team’s performance (I was ranting to all those around me whilst the race was ongoing that Red Bull and Vettel are making the rest of the teams and drivers look comparitively incompetent at times), it does make the race less exciting.

Unlike Spa, there was no small amount proper overtaking. I’m a Lewis supporter, and even though this weekend has effectively destroyed any title hopes he had coming into it, on reflection I’m a bit glad that he was out of position (and Raikkonen), else this race would have been every bit the dull affair that Spa was. He turned in a fantastic performance, against the odds, with that slow puncture scuppering his race strategy (why is it that when things go wrong for Lewis, they keep going wrong?). On the flipside, had he been at the front of the grid, his pace would seem to suggest that he might have been able to take the fight to Vettel — during the second half of the race, at least. He only has himself to blame, I suppose.

As for Vettel getting booed on the podium, it’s hardly unheard of. Lewis got it last year, and so has any non Ferrari driver that’s beaten the red cars to the top step. He probably was getting a bit more of it that others would, and that’s undoubtedly because of Malaysia. Whilst I agree that there was nothing fundamentally wrong with what he did, what I disliked is how he behaved afterwards. He went from being all shame-faced and apologetic in the immediate aftermath, to being resolute that he was the faster driver and did nothing wrong in China. He should stand by his convictions, whatever they were/are in these circumstances, not hide behind disingenuous apologies to please the public.

4. macrob said on 8th September 2013, 18:50

6/10…perhaps a 7 had Red Bull sent THE HOFF to the podium!

5. Peoples expectations are really out of whack. They want to see a wheel-to-wheel battle for the lead in the latter stages of the race (or at least, they say they do whenever Vettel wins) but how often do we ever see that in F1? It’s quite a rare occurrence. You might see two races like that in a season, if you’re lucky.

This was a pretty close race by F1 standards. The eleventh place driver was just 38 seconds behind the leader. Typically the sixth place driver is a minute behind and the eleventh place driver is lapped.

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 8th September 2013, 18:55

A couple of races were wheel to wheel last year (Alonso on Maldonado).

• crr917 (@crr917) said on 8th September 2013, 19:34

We saw it once this year – in Malaysia, the race which is used as an excuse to boo Vettel. Those attending f1 races are funny people, aren’t they?

6. 7. It wasn’t very exciting at the front, but the flat spot and the gearbox problems added a bit of spice. It’s just incredible how Vettel managed to be consistenly faster than Alonso with that flat spot on his front right.
    The midfield battle was very interesting. I liked the battle between Ricciardo, Button, Perez and Grosjean, it lasted for the whole race. Nice recovery drives from Hamilton and Raikkonen, too.

The podium in Monza is truly one of the best, but the people, sadly, aren’t. The booing is nothing new, it happened last year with Lewis and the year before with Vettel, so it’s not a surprise. I had some hope after yesterday, when I was at the track. There was no booing for Vettel when he took pole, but today was a different story.

7. Decent race. Best driver won. Great fight between Alonso and Webber. I assume a lot of the people complaining weren’t watching 10 years ago.

• Mr win or lose said on 9th September 2013, 10:15

What a terribly boring race! I have watched F1 since 1997. Although there were many boring seasons (1998, 2002, 2004), there was still some tension during these races, mainly because of the hidden danger of reliability issues (even Schumacher occasionally retired whilst leading the race) or different fuel-strategies (remember for example the Coulthard-Irvine battle in Austria 1999), which could change the running order dramatically.
      I’m not completely sure whether refueling would indeed bring back the action. The Italian Grand Prix was boring due to 1) Pirelli being way too conservative 2) Monza being Monza, not really challenging for both the drivers and their cars. It is by far the worst of all European tracks.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 9th September 2013, 15:46

Wow thats a lot or rubbish on 4 lines :O
        Schumacher almost never had reliability issues since 2002. RB are having much more issues in recent years, remember Britain 2013, Valencia 2012? 2002 was the most boring season in the history of Formula One …

• Mr win or lose said on 9th September 2013, 17:58

Please remember that the overall reliability was much worse in the 90s and early 2000s. These blown engines were great to watch and they allowed the weaker teams some chances of success. Nowadays most retirements are due to collisions, which is rather boring in my opinion.

Yes, 2002 and 2004 were dominated by Schumacher’s nearly bulletproof Ferrari, which was boring indeed. However, due to the tyre battle there was some excitement. On the other hand, in 1998 there was a battle between the fast, but fragile McLaren and the slower Ferrari, which turned out to be quite exiting.

Nowadays we see Vettel win most races unchallenged. It is usually a matter of building a gap and then controlling the race (pit when the others pit). It looks so easy that even his mishap in Silverstone doesn’t matter too much.

8. Travis (@mcmerctn) said on 8th September 2013, 19:38

Ok, not great. Kind of deflating, honestly. Pretty nice pass w/ Webber and Alonso early on, fun watching Lewis slice through the field on the forced 2 stop strategy too. Was hoping that the championship would close up some, but it’s tough to stop anyone when they aren’t making mistakes and no one in their camp really is either. Probably a 6 or so.

9. I’d say 5/10.
    I was not as bored as with Spa, but this time I had less distractions, plus having Massa and Hulkenberg in good positions made me nervous. Action was limited apart from the start and the end, the excitement was given by battles which could have happened, but never did, like Webber/Alonso. Hamilton and Raikkonen with different strategies made for an interesting end of the race and I was anxious for it during the laps they spent behind, but objectively it wasn’t so exciting.

10. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 8th September 2013, 20:33

Hmm. Six seems to be about the average.
    “A bit disappointing” seems to be the prevelant comment.
    Rather pleased I didn’t watch it and went out instead! had a nice pub lunch and looked at plenty of lovely paintings, so I’d score my afternoon as at least an 8.
    Much better than sitting in the lounge and shouting at the telly “Not bloody Vettel again!”
    I don’t approve of the booing of anyone, but I am getting bored of Vettel/RedBull/Newey dominance, just as I did with Schu/Brawn/Ferrari/Bridgestone.

11. Andrew VanderLei (@andrewvanderlei) said on 8th September 2013, 20:50

Like many Italian GP’s I’ve seen, the race threatened to be exciting up front but with it being a one stopper and the pace so quick, it never had the chance. I was hoping for a mid race rain shower to shake things up but oh well…there were some good battles in the midfield…6/10

12. Hairs (@hairs) said on 9th September 2013, 0:37

Like another two classic tracks, Silverstone and Monaco, monza is usually a processional snoozefest, and this one was no exception. For all the jibes directed at the tilkedromes, other tracks are just as bad. Fingers crossed the 2014 rules are dramatic enough to bring some racing back into it.

Surprising to see Hamilton and kimi making up places at the end on a supposedly slower strategy, but that was about it.

13. I believe people all over the world did not take the Malaysia incident well.. What Vettel said on the podium in Malaysis was more acceptable rather than the U-turn he made at the press conference about racing and all… I know team orders are against the racing spirit at most times, but sometimes it is needed, as was in Malaysia due to the critical tyre situation…
    Anyways to @vettel1 and @keithcollantine I want to say this, all the people around the world cannot be wrong, and Vettels dominance in 2011 was much greater, but he was never booed then… I understand racing is in the DNA and all, believe me all drivers want to win, no one likes to lose…but sometimes you have to put the team above yourself and believe in them…

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 9th September 2013, 15:50

@noob

Keith said a 100 times that Webber ignored team orders too during the 2011 British GP + Vettel was booed on the 2011 Italian GP ;)

14. infernojim (@infernojim) said on 10th September 2013, 15:38

8, because I was there! Would’ve been a 6 if I’d been watching it from home.

15. I only gave it a 6 and that may have been generous.

Yet another race where it was obvious from the start who was going to win, there was some action further down the field but that was mainly due to Raikkonen and Hamilton having to make early pit stops and change to a two stop strategy.

1 3 4 5