Bahrain Grand Prix to be night race in 2014

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Bahrain International Circuit, 2004In the round-up: The Bahrain Grand Prix will be a night race next year.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Bahrain to switch to night race in 2014 (Autosport)

“The Bahrain Grand Prix is to switch to a night race next year, with the circuit set to confirm the news in the next few days.”

Hamilton thinks it’s all over. Or maybe not (Reuters)

“When I got out of the car I was angry, and definitely thought that would be it. But I’ve been back with my engineers and I’m not going to give up.”

2013 Italian Grand Prix (FIA)

Fernando Alonso: “Concerning yesterday, it?s the third or fourth consecutive race that some people have tried to create some tension between the team and the drivers.”

Massa takes one for the team (ESPN)

“We know that it’s not the best thing for a driver to do. But it’s important for the team because looking at the championship it is pretty difficult with Sebastian [Vettel] winning all the time and it could be the last possibility for Fernando [to fight for the title], I think.”

Todt rejects electioneering claim (The Telegraph)

“Todt said that he had not actively sought to gain members’ approval. ‘How can I avoid it?’ he asked. ‘If you have a group of people who say ‘You are doing a good job. We want you’.'”

Massa wants Ferrari stay as decision looms (BBC)

Luca di Montezemolo: “We will think very, very carefully, because we don’t have a gun here [pointing at is head] to decide tomorrow or after tomorrow, but after Monza this will be something I want to decide.”

Driver decision not made yet, says Domenicali (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“Ferrari?s Stefano Domenicali confirmed today that an announcement on the team?s 2014 driver plans is due soon ?ǣ and insisted that no decision has yet been taken.”

Martin Whitmarsh’s ‘McLaren 50′ speech (McLaren)

“And here?s a statistical quirk for you: since then, during which time only McLaren and Ferrari have been ever-present in Formula One, and during which time 100-odd other Formula One teams have come and gone, our two teams, McLaren and Ferrari, have won precisely 182 grands prix each.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Robert doesn’t appreciate the disrespect being shown to Vettel by those who boo him:

I, for one, hate the dominance he is showing and I can?t really say I like him as a person, but people who aren?t his fans still need to open their eyes and see he?s not doing anything wrong. He?s just driving the fastest car in the fastest way possible, and that has to be appreciated.

In my country there?s a saying regarding people who aren?t respectful, roughly translated to not having the seven-year home schooling.
Robert (@Gicu)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Mark Hitchcock and Prashanth Bhat!

On this day in F1

Jackie Stewart produced a superb recovery drive at Monza to climb from 16 places to fourth and secure his third world championship title 40 years ago today.

At the head of the field Ronnie Peterson led a Lotus one-two, followed by Emerson Fittipaldi. Peter Revson took third for McLaren.

Here’s footage from the start of the race:

Image ?? Tilke Gmbh

149 comments on Bahrain Grand Prix to be night race in 2014

1. I love night races,something special about them,don’t know what,but great news …

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 9th September 2013, 0:21

I hate night races, the glare of the track lighting disgiuses the location making it difficult to understand which part of the track you are seeing on-screen.

• nackavich (@nackavich) said on 9th September 2013, 1:25

It’s obviously so they can hide all of those empty grandstands in the dark..

• Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 9th September 2013, 9:50

…and the empty car parks, the extra security personnel and the rising smoke from the protesters fires. Maybe they will tell us, truthfully of course, that the flames that are visible in the surrounding darkness are F1 fans, unable to buy a ticket and get into the packed grandstands, having desert barbecues and F1 themed parties in the dunes.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 9th September 2013, 8:40

Yep, bit of a problem at Bahrain. Watch the closing stages in darkness of the WEC sportscar race there (the weekend after the Brazilian GP) and it’s tough to see where they all are.

On the plus side, it’ll be at a great time of day in Europe to watch a race. And also (is this another reason for it) a better time for the USA & Mexicans.

• Yeah I remember seeing the WEC on TV and it was quite dark, but from what I understood they postponed the race so that they have time to put in the new lighting system. The article says that the circuit officials asked to delay the race to make the needed upgrades, so it should be well lit.
          About those criticizing comments about trying to hide the empty grandstands, fyi the grandstand will also be lit.

Personally I was excited about having the first race of the season, but now a night race is quite cool too! Plus I remember back in 2010 after the first race you somehow feel that it’s veery long year ahead before we host the race again. I hope the cars still come here for testing, but not sure whether the logistics would still be feasible if we’re no longer the season opener.

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 9th September 2013, 10:11

@hohum that’s an interesting way to look at it, I never would have thought it was a problem for some people to see the track, or as you say, what part of it.
        Personally, I have never had issue with knowing where cars are at night races, such as Singapore and Abu Dhabi in the later stages, and really do love night races. For me, it just adds something special to them.

• Kazihno (@kazinho) said on 9th September 2013, 1:06

I suspect it is a rather complex and expensive solution to mask the lack of spectators in the stands.

2. Hydro (@hydrouk) said on 9th September 2013, 0:17

I don’t know why people are making a big thing about Vettel (an enemy to Ferrari at the present time) being booed at Monza, I don’t recall as much of a fuss being kicked up about Hamilton at Monza last year. Or is it because of the previous incidents this year as well?

• Due to previous incidents i guess. All non ferrari drivers have had the same treatment here tho.

Jeez Hill and Berger even had death threats in germany in 94 and it didnt cause as much fuss.

But either way the booing isnt right. Dont like the guy as a person but he is a great driver, pretty faultless when he has a great car. I never booed him at silverstone tho others did. I will say i cheered when he broke down, but thats different as a driver i supported took the lead from it, thats sport.. But booing him never crossed my mind.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 9th September 2013, 2:20

@hydrouk didn’t DC have a very bad time at Monza after Spa 1998 too?

Sure it’s happened before, but that doesn’t mean it’s not wrong…

• Becken Lima (@becken-lima) said on 9th September 2013, 2:31

Agreed. Right after won his championship, Hamilton was booed here in Brazil and there´s was not even a Multi21 as excuse to the booing.

Call people who attend races “haters” is too extreme. In fact, if you look at the price of F1 tickets nowadays, you will easily call those people real F1 fanatics.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th September 2013, 8:28

@becken-lima

I’m sure there are plenty of fans whose enthusiasm for the sport is not dimmed by their inability to afford a race ticket.

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 9th September 2013, 9:57

Hamilton was likely boo’ed because adrenaline-fuelled fans were still raw that the home driver had won the championship, only to then lost it again 30 seconds later.

It’s worlds apart from the abuse and racism of Spain he received earlier in the year.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 9th September 2013, 14:40

That was disgusting. I don’t recall such a low in F1 races. However, I’ve always loved to go to Circuit de Catalunya (it has a different name now) great crowd, usually good weather and superb food. My last time there was in 2007, Lewis first year.

Once I lived in Lisbon, Spanish GP was my home GP.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 9th September 2013, 7:27

I’d rather have other teams closer to Red Bull (to Vettel to be more precise) but despite my dislike of this kind of dominance, in the end of the race I tend to save a few seconds to applaud the winner but I was not expecting Vettel or Hamilton to be enphatically greeted by Ferrari tiffosi after winning the Italian GP at Monza.

But in case of Vettel is not happen only in places were he beats local heroes, he was booed in Canada too…

It’s easy to say that sometimes he misbehaves, the most recent and serious incident being Malaysia 2013 but it’s quite clear that most of this hates comes from his success and in this regard Vettel isn’t alone either, his fellow German Michael Schumacher collected many enemies throughout the years of his “dictatorship” and we see similar behavior in other sports, NBA’s LeBron James comes to my mind because he happens to be the best basketaball player in the league and the most hated as well…

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 9th September 2013, 20:20

Actually if you look closely , you would find a world of difference between both schumacher and vettel . Schumacher did some stupid things along with the great things as a driver . I was a massive fan of Schumacher in 2000-2004 . Then as I looked into the past videos that I had never seen , there were incidents that were stupid to the core . Then came the Monaco incident .I have never respected him since .

Whereas , Vettel apart from Malaysia and Turkey ( which was partially his fault ) hasn’t done so much harm in any way . So I don’t think it has to do anything with the dominance , it must have something with respect to his personality or his beliefs or his interaction and Schumacher , though notorious, was not booed like this anywhere(apart from monza) I believe.

• caci99 (@caci99) said on 9th September 2013, 9:57

I don’t know either why all the fuss about the booing. It is a human expression to disagree and not approve. Do we want some sterilized civilized human beings all clapping at the director command? The booing is not about Vettel himself, I am sure. Why are football matches in foreign fields considered difficult? Because they know that the public is not on their side.
      Of course it is not nice to Vettel, but he should not take it personally, neither should the others.

3. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 9th September 2013, 0:26

Bahrain during the day = Dangerous
    Bahrain at night time = Much much much more dangerous.

Strong logic.

4. Michael Brown (@) said on 9th September 2013, 0:41

The Tifosi booing Vettel is no different than the home crowd booing the away team when they win in a football game, hockey, etc.

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 9th September 2013, 0:55

@lite992 And that reminds me why my other sport of choice is rugby. That sort of thing doesn’t happen very often (although unfortunately it’s becoming more regular at some grounds). Unless there has been some dodgy incidents to rile up the crowd then the kickers are respected with silence, good tries are appreciated by all, and the winning team is applauded off the field whether they are at home or away.

It’s all about respect.
      You may be there to support your favourite sports team/person but if you are a fan of the SPORT (not just the individual or group of sportsmen) then you should be able to appreciate when you see something skillful or worthy of respect.
      Whether or not the Tifosi are fanatical Ferrari supporters, as F1 fans they should be able to appreciate the skill needed to be as dominant as Vettel is at the moment, and if not applaud it then at least stay silent.

• JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 9th September 2013, 0:58

You are correct. But we’re not fans of football or hockey. F1 fans are (or at least should be) above jeering.

• Jack (@jackisthestig) said on 9th September 2013, 19:38

Personally I don’t have a problem with the booing, I’d love to see a more vocal, feisty atmosphere at F1 races. Having read through these comments I can appreciate why alot of people don’t like it but I really don’t know what warrants this sense of superiority over fans of other sports.

F1 is my first love but I like my football aswel and go to the odd Swansea City game. F1 is a fantastic spectacle, but the atmosphere at a football match is awesome, way beyond that of any Grand Prix I’ve been to.

Im not trying to say one set of fans are better than the other, just that us F1 fans could gain alot by seeing what the fan experience is like and how they make themselves heard in other sports rather than just sneering at them.

• Mike (@mike) said on 9th September 2013, 4:20

I know right? It’s just as despicable and unacceptable here.

Booing when your guy doesn’t win? What the hell is that?

• Rybo (@rybo) said on 9th September 2013, 5:54

There are very conflicting emotions here. I can say that no matter what as a true fan of a team or driver/player its tough to applaud the oppsing team/driver/player, and it should be. Just because because they reigned supreme today doesn’t mean they get my congratulations. However fans of the sport “should” be able to recognize a job well done.

My take? Man up and take the good with the bad, no matter what there will always be someone who will try to bring you down. Its your choice to rise above the hate/un-appreciation. For everyone who is saying the booing is bringing the sport into disrepute is contributing to the cause. Everyone likes different things the like about F1. For every person who loves the monkey seat or lack thereof someone likes Jenson Button, and for every one that supports Fernando Alonso there is someone mesmerized with the concave wing that Williams’ run at Canada.

To say that booing is disrespectful is a bit much though. To keep with the Red vs. Blue. The Boston Red Sox hate the New York Yankees, Manchester United hates both Manchester United and Chelsea, and Barcelona hates AC Milan. People we’ll inherently not get along, because we are competitive, and rightfully so. If anything RBR and Vettel should be proud that they are the focus of fans anger, because they are incredibly successful. They have nothing to apologize for, but no can expect everyone to silence their displeasure.

• Rybo (@rybo) said on 9th September 2013, 6:44

I meant Man U vs. Man city, sorry for the confusion.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th September 2013, 8:50

@rybo

Of course people may not get along but to say it’s “right” for that to be the case seems unrealistically hopeless.

Regardless, just because some people who watch other sports have decided they hate some of the competitors and behave disgracefully towards them does not justify F1 fans stooping so low.

• just because some people who watch other sports have decided they hate some of the competitors and behave disgracefully towards them does not justify F1 fans stooping so low

I totally agree, even if undesirable behaviour infects other sports, why should that make it ok in F1? Racist abuse seems endemic in some football leagues, would that mean we would be indifferent to it if it started to emerge in motorsport?

One of the many things I love about cricket is the tradition of applauding significant achievements by the opposing team, such as when a batsman scores a century. I had the privilege last year of being at the Adelaide Oval when Sachin Tendulkar played what was expected to be his final innings at the ground. Although dismissed for a modest score, and despite the many years of misery that he had inflicted on Australian teams, every person at the ground stood and applauded as he walked off the ground. It was an experience I’ll always remember, and for the right reasons.

Being a passionate supporter of a team or sportsman doesn’t mean you can’t respect the achievements of your opponents. You can love Ferrari, or McLaren, or Mercedes without carrying on like a 3 year old just because your favourite team or driver loses to someone else who was better on the day.

• The question is are F1 fans really better than fans of other sports? People like to think so, but after Sunday that does not seem to be the case. Its easy to say that people should applaud all great achievements, but in the heat of the moment people are flooded with multitude of emotions. Racist comments are completely unacceptable, but is booing really that bad? All the fans at the track are doing is voicing the frustration and anger, and as long as they are not demeaning, hostile, or violent I am ok with that. What I don’t want are fans being told who they can and can’t cheer for.

After Sunday I am a Vettel fan and this young man is flat out one of the greatest to sit in a grand prix car. I just think its a bit much to think that F1 fans are better than fans.

5. celeste (@celeste) said on 9th September 2013, 0:56

Massa takes one! The problem, or not if you are Ferrari fan, is that Massa is always taking one!

I sometimes believe that Ferrari keep him just because he always willing to take one , and it made me sad because I really like Massa but I see his fighting spirit does no longer exist.

And that´s a great tweet @keithcollantine

6. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 9th September 2013, 1:08

There is a saying we have here in the USA, and judging by comments here and elsewhere you don’t have it in Europe.

“Cheering or Booing as long as they care enough to make noise you are doing something right, it’s when they make no noise that you have to worry.”

7. MNM101 (@mnm101) said on 9th September 2013, 1:26

Seb doesn’t care about the booing and neither should we, if some are thick headed enough not appreciate a person being good at their job it’s their problem.
    Also I hate how reporters keep asking him about it and shoving it down his throat, as if their expecting him to break down on camera or something.
    Anyway, I think it’s time we moved on from this subject.

8. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 9th September 2013, 1:30

I commented on Saturday that I knew that would happen, cause Vettel would win (of course I said it as support for my fav driver), but when it happens in Italy people will say “because they are Ferrari fans” and when it happens in England people will say “because they prefer Hamilton”, but when it happened in Canada? There isn’t even a Canadian team or driver, and if somebody wants to sell me the idea that they boo Vettel for the lingering memory of Gilles in a Ferrari, they are just disrespecting what Gilles did in and for F1.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 9th September 2013, 2:05

I do believe that the booing will continue, even when IMHO he hasn´t done anything to deserve it, as Keith tweet, I just hope that Vettel keep delivering great results as a way to show them.

Or I want him to do what Raúl Blanco did in the Camp Nou ):)
      https://www. you tube. com/watch?v= MNc7QaPtaUc

• Rybo (@rybo) said on 9th September 2013, 6:53

He has done everything to deserve booing. He is successful and as such he will incur the wrath of fans not matter what their preferences. Alonso fan? Your going to hate Vettel. Same for Kimi, Hamilton, Button, Massa, And Webber fans…. Would you like me to continue? I can name 14 drivers some people would rather see win. Not to mention 10 other constructors that have fans as well.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 9th September 2013, 7:37

I can’t find enough words to tell you how wrong that statement is.
          Why would anyone “hate” a driver they are not rooting for, unless you’re 12 and believe all the good-guy/bad-guy bull from the rainbow press?
          I don’t like to see him winning every race either, but it’s a matter of showing respect for someone’s achievements.

• Hate is obviously a strong word and a bit extreme in this case, but are you going to tell me that there isn’t displeasure when your driver/team doesn’t do well? Vetttel’s achievements speak for themselves, but how can you can see the forest from the trees. We are watching greatness and for some its hard to realize.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 9th September 2013, 9:17

By that (ridiculous) logic, every driver who wins a race will be booed, because there will always be fans of other teams disappointed that their favourite didn’t win.

Vettel didn’t get booed when he won in Monza in ’08.

As I’ve said before – if you don’t think that success is something which should be applauded, you have no business calling yourself a sports fan.

• I’m not saying I agree with it, but your expectations of people is slightly skewed. Just because you are able to put aside your loyalties and applaud the winner doesn’t mean that everyone else can or will.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 9th September 2013, 9:41

@rybo I said he did nothing to deserve the booing IN MY OPINION.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 9th September 2013, 4:07

@omarr-pepper He is just unpopular in those parts of the world mate, at least for now . Personally ,I don’t think booing someone is anything close to decent even though I don’t like Vettel . However it’s not something that is to be worried about too much . If you , as a fan , have class enough not to boo , then you must surely have class enough not to kick up a lot of fuss about it .

• JCost (@jcost) said on 9th September 2013, 7:54

I was in São Paulo back in 2009. Seb won the race, half cheered and the other half booed, basically for fun. I recall that Alonso was booed too (it was the year of “Fernando is faster than you”).

• celeste (@celeste) said on 9th September 2013, 9:49

Then it was 2010 :P

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 9th September 2013, 17:31

@jcost Hate to generalize, but speaking of my own people as a Brazillian, there are quite a few of us who simply don’t know the meaning of being respectable. Remember the booing competitors at the 2007 Pan-American Games got simply because they were beating Brazilian athletes? Booing forgein athletes here is a sport of its own…

• JCost (@jcost) said on 9th September 2013, 19:01

@guilherme I think in most sports athletes get boo’ed during the game and in the end, in some cases, those who did boo eventually applaud. I’ve seen this in footbal and basketball games but in Formula 1 the driver is boo’ed while standing on the podium, maybe because it’s the only place he can properly hear the boos, I don’t know.

If you boo during the game but in the end you’re fair enough to acknowledge defeat and honor the victor, it’s ok. Otherwise, it’s plain stupid.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 9th September 2013, 8:27

The “booing-gate” is getting interesting more than ever now. I don’t know from where you get the imagination to tell this story about Gilles Villeneuve no one will do such a thing “for the lingering memory of Gilles in a Ferrari”. Gilles has his place in the hearts of all motor sport fans just like Ayrton Senna
      Just for your knowledge outside of Italy, Canada boasts the sixth largest Italian population Ferrari fans has been there from the days of Gilles Villeneuve, just look at this fans festival when Jean Alesi won back in 1995, (i don’t know if you were following F1 at that time)
      I don’t know if you have noticed that or not but the majority of F1 fans (i’m talking about those who usually go to GP) are Ferrari fans, in every GP with the exception of Silverstone the majority of the Fans are wearing red caps that’s maybe a logical explanation for you

• zimkazimka (@zimkazimka) said on 9th September 2013, 9:07

I believe that ultimately people are booing not because they hate a certain driver (in this case Vettel). It’s because the championship becomes dull if everything is won by the same team and driver (especially several years in a row). Seb is the face of the team, so the fans express it to him out of frustration (hence Canada, and not only UK and Italy). If he were to move to Ferrari next year and deliver close racing with championship going to the last corner, do you really think tifosi will boo him? No. He’s clearly not an outright evil bad-guy of the sport. So it’s the lack of competition that’s being booed (clearly represented), and not specific personality.

• KDesser (@) said on 10th September 2013, 2:50

I think it’s just people these days. Back in the day maybe just some drunks.
      “We can’t have a party — well, so can’t you! Booo!”.

Obviously, respectless behaviour is kind of accepted these days. People are slowly starting to reflect the attitudes in real life, they once only dared to use on internet forums…

Sigh, I guess I’m getting old.

9. Frankly, I’m happy they gave Bahrain a night race. I have a feeling the focus in every discussion with the promoters was on finding a way to give the GP there a “special status”. That’s why we had rumours about it taking Melbourne’s place in the calendar and so on, because the regime there probably needs it to be as big of an event as possible in order to get as much positive exposure off the back of it as possible.

Anyway, since Bernie thinks Bahrain HAS to stay in the calendar for some reason, then if turning it into a night drive is the price to pay in order to keep it from being the season opener, I’ll take that.

I don’t see how this will make the GP less of a joke though…

10. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 9th September 2013, 2:31

Pros and cons about Whitsmarsh speech:
    PRO: They are a team born to stay
    CON: 182 wins for both, but McLaren is not doing what it takes to get the 183rd, not even close this year.

But as motivation I guess it’s the right thing to say

11. BJ (@beejis60) said on 9th September 2013, 3:49

“Listen, we have Raikkonen, Hulkenberg, [Paul] Di Resta. I have seen so many names [in the media],” Di Montezemolo told BBC Sport in an exclusive interview with F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan.

Please no, not DiBesta…

12. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 9th September 2013, 4:11

I think most of us who are ardent fans of Vettel and even those who aren’t (me) can learn something from him . He handled it extremely well yesterday . So why kick up a huge fuss about the quality of fans , the quality of their education . Let us all look at ourselves and enjoy the racing . We have a saying of our own . ” Do your thing and the results will take care of themselves ” . I think Vettel seems to be doing that and so should we.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 9th September 2013, 4:51

@hamilfan It was really difficult for me to enjoy the podium ceremony yesterday…Boos and jeers have a jarring effect on the ears..

• davidwhite (@davidwhite) said on 9th September 2013, 6:14

I’m really not a big fan of Vettel to be honest but i was very uncomfortable with the booing yesterday. He drove brilliantly all weekend – I take my hat off to you sir and the way in which you reacted to the haters. That was class.

• McGregski (@mcgregski) said on 10th September 2013, 14:01

I’m not a Vettel fan but I’m glad he’s dealing with it as he is.
      People saying that Vettel getting boo’ed is because of his disobeying the Multi21 order but lets be honest…
      He and Red Bull have dominated the championships in the last 4 years (assuming they win again this year) and the ‘show’ is becoming a little dull. I boo at the telly when Vettel wins, not because he’s won but because Hamilton hasn’t.

Vettel was on Top Gear last year and he seems pretty down to earth, he’s funny and he’s just enjoying himself. No one would be negative if this was their own driver dominating – If Hamilton and McLaren and now Mercedes were in Red Bull’s shoes – I’d be over the moon but there’d be 21 other fan bases who weren’t. Likewise if it was Alonso stomping to victory all the time. Put Vettel in a Ferrari and get him the same result as Monza and the Tifosi will be going mental

Yes – booing is wrong and if Vettel suddenly gets all depressed and upset about it then it’s definitely wrong but Red Bull know they’ve turned up as the new guys, put a few years effort in and now they are sending the ‘establishment’ home empty handed and fair play to them. I don’t like it any more than the rest of you but there’s always next year…

13. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 9th September 2013, 6:34

I can’t agree more with the COTD, I dislike the booing enormously, it has no place in F1. The standard of F1 fans is slipping to football levels and that is incredibly sad. You could (and I will) argue that this is a sad side effect of the sport trying to broaden its appeal to more and more casual viewers. Having watched the race in Abu Dhabi over the last 2 years, where the bulk of the crowd are first time F1 viewers with little or no F1 knowledge, I have witnessed this first hand. Cheering when drivers retire or crash, booing drivers they don’t like…it is appalling. Historically F1 fans have been better than this. F1 has never been like football, F1 fans are generally willing to give a team or driver that is dominating the sport their due, regardless of their personal preferences as to who they would like to win. We may have a reputation for being geeky anoraks, but we are sporting and respectful.

I don’t like Vettel much and I don’t like it when one team or driver dominates the sport for too long, but Vettel and Red Bull have to be given their due. They are doing the best job possible and are setting a benchmark that is proving to be unmatchable, that has to be respected even if you don’t particularly like it.

• S2G-Unit (@s2g-unit) said on 9th September 2013, 6:56

“Cheering when other drivers retire”

-Who cares!? You are supposed to cheer when your rival team’s car retires because they score no points!
      It’s fun & exciting & is exactly what you wanted to happen anyway.

The way some people, are in my opinion, being uptight nannies about the booing makes me think that we should start giving out awards or points to:
      -Most improved driver
      -Hardest effort during the race & stuff times

?

lol

• Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 9th September 2013, 8:40

I agree on the booing, but disagree on the cheering for retirements. One is obviously showing dislike and a lack of character whereas a bit of cheering when a rival breaks down, no where near on the same scale.

Now, if you were talking about cheering a major crash or something then sure, I could understand it, but being happy your favourite drivers rival breaks down or has car failure or even a slight crash (i.e. oversteered into the gravel/wall but obviously uninjured) is in my opinion at least, perfectly acceptable.

14. John H (@john-h) said on 9th September 2013, 7:31

This booing stems from Malaysia where Vettel showed no respect. The fans are just as bad but to say its because of the winning and nothing else is simply not correct. As I’ve said, he’s made his bed so now he will have to lie in it (until he moves to Ferrari!)

• dennis (@dennis) said on 9th September 2013, 7:42

If it stems from Malaysia, then it’s a shame that people seem to have a memory-span just about the length they want to have. It’s a nice excuse to show frustration about somebody who wins, that people do not favour. Or in other words, utterly low human behavior.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 9th September 2013, 9:22

@john-h I don’t recall Webber being booed when he ignored team orders. This notion that the booing is down the multi21 is nonsense – there’s been a growing anti-Vettel sentiment for the past couple of years, I think since 2011 and his dominant performance there, and it’s simply an excuse for people to mention it. It’s a stupid, hypocritical double standard – the pathetic tendency to criticise everything done by a person you don’t like, even though you might praise exactly the same behaviour in someone else. It’s a sad day when an inferior driver like Webber is cheered and applauded while his much more successful teammate is booed, for the specific reason that one is successful and the other is not. We seem to live in a weird, inverted age, where inadequacy and failure is applauded and success is derided. What happened!?

• ” I don’t recall Webber being booed when he ignored team orders”

Because people vividly remember his front wing being ripped off his car and put on Vettels when they had no spares. Thats where all RB’s problems come from. They have noone to blame but themselves. As it turns out, Webber still won with the old wing, which showed the new wing wasnt all that much of an improvement, and only served to show how Redbull felt about their drivers long before the title was being decided.

• John H (@john-h) said on 9th September 2013, 10:56

Sorry, I disagree @mazdachris . The constant winning hasn’t helped, but it was the dishonest interview after the Malaysia race where the booing problems were triggered – it brought back memories of Monaco 2006. Rightly or wrongly, Vettel could have avoided this by just saying he decided to disobey team orders, but he didn’t and so this is the consequence.

I’m not saying the booing is correct, far from it – it should be derided and kicked out as Keith says, but at the same time I hope we also get some sportsmanship back into F1 – not stabbing your team mate in the back.

It’s not the winning, but how you do it that will win you fans in the long term.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 9th September 2013, 11:21

I get what you’re saying (by the way don’t worry, I think we can have a discussion about why people are doing something without having to point out that we don’t agree with it) – but again I think it’s a bit of selective interpretation on the part of the booers if that’s the case. It totally disregards the press conference the following week where he said, in no uncertain terms, that he had judged that Webber didn’t deserve to be gifted a win, so he disobeyed orders and took the win he felt was his to take.

There are countless examples of drivers going on record and saying things we know are blatantly untrue, especially when it comes to team orders. There’s a bizarre reluctance to accept that team orders are a factor in the sport – even though they’re now absolutely fine in the eyes of the rulemakers, teams still try to cover up their use by creating elaborate codes or telling one driver that the other is faster, and so on. Given that culture, and given the fact that at the point where Vettel denied understanding that a team order had been given, he was still facing potentially unknown consequences from the team, I think it’s only natural that Vettel wasn’t totally honest when he was speaking to the press. And let’s face it, other drivers have done much much worse. Look at Hamilton and the infamous lie-gate, and yet I don’t think he was booed at all (except for his treatment in Spain and Italy, both of which are for reasons well documented). The point really is that whether or not the booers put their booing down to the multi21 debacle, the fact is that Vettel is being extremely harshly judged for doing, essentially, the same things that all drivers do. There’s got to be something deeper there. Maybe it’s more to do with an underlying desire to turn everything into a simple narrative, with heroes and villains, and to view everything as black and white, fuelled by a media which does exactly this in order to generate attention.

But whatever the reason, it doesn’t sit well with me. Vettel has done nothing wrong. Certainly nothing appreciably worse than the things that other drivers are routinely excused for. And so he absolutely does not deserve to be vilified and hounded by spectators at the track. By all means I appreciate passionate and enthusiastic fans, but I can’t get myself into the mindset of someone who feels that success is an inherently negative thing.

• Girts (@girts) said on 9th September 2013, 9:38

Even though Vettel’s behaviour in Malaysia increased my respect for him (do we really need more Massas on the grid?), I understand that not everyone sees it the same way. But that’s not the point. It’s not about the fact that people express their dissatisfaction with a driver’s actions or behaviour. It’s about the way they do it.

No one will call you a bully just because you say “I don’t like Vettel, he should have obeyed the team orders in Malaysia.” But if you use every opportunity to bash Vettel (or any other driver), call him names or boo him, then you’re not a true F1 fan imho.

Unfortunately many F1 fans simply cannot behave now and then. That’s one of the thorns in our beautiful F1 garden that we should get rid of.

• John H (@john-h) said on 9th September 2013, 10:42

I agree with your sentiments @girts . I guess I’m just offering a reason as to why and that it’s no surprise to me that the booing exists. I think its unfortunate, but Vettel could have avoided this by simply being honest at the press conference after Malaysia, but he wasn’t.

Jut for the record I would never boo Vettel!

15. Abdurahman (@) said on 9th September 2013, 7:38

It’s more up to the people who don’t like the booing to just deal with it. What are you going to do about it huh?
    Change the emotion and logic of a mass of 100,000 people?

Vettel might go down as one of the most un popular champions if it continues and that is dissapointing, but it is what it is.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 9th September 2013, 7:45

Being happy when your favourite team and driver wins is emotion.
      Being sad when they lose is emotion, too.
      Booing at the guy who won, after driving a perfect race is disrespectful and has nothing to do with logic. I just wish people would stop using this ludicrous excuse for the people who act like a bunch of drunk football fans at an F1 race. It’s disgusting and people don’t like it. So maybe you have to get over that as well.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th September 2013, 8:58

@abdurahman

What are you going to do about it huh?

Bullying is disgusting and it should always be pointed out and condemned. If I didn’t do that, I would lose respect for myself.

And if as many as one person who might have joined in the braying mob reads what I write and has cause to reconsider their views, that doubles the justification as far as I’m concerned.

act like a bunch of drunk football fans

Here in the UK they limited the ability for football fans to get drunk by restricting the sale of alcohol in football clubs during games, so bad had their behaviour become.

Do you want to see F1 degenerate to the same point? I don’t. That’s why this sort of pathetic behaviour has to be condemned – because this is where it leads if it goes unchecked.

• Bullying is disgusting

…but this is no bullying. Or do you imply that Vettel is a weak and defenseless victim whose life is made hell by those spectators? Somehow I can’t see that.

Equating a hugely successful, hugely rich (and hence powerful) top sportsman with the little boy beaten up in school on a daily basis is actually disrespectful towards any real victim of bullying.

Even though I wouldn’t boo Vettel, I can understand those who cannot check their (negative) emotions towards him.

His career path (i.e. inordinate success against an absolutely top notch field) is ruining the enjoyment of Formula 1 for many people.

It means that although he’s doing a stellar job in a great car (sure no one can fault him for that), in a way he is ‘taking something away’ from a lot of fans.

This something is the notion that if you have a sport with a fantastically high quality of competitors, that sport will give you a bit more (in terms of excitement) than one guy running away with it again and again and again; while the others are left with hoping for miracles by the two-thirds of the championship.

This is not an indictment of Vettel or Newey or Red Bull; this is ultimately an indictment of the sport itself. However, because fans have a strong attachment to the sport, they will understandably shift the blame away from it and find the scapegoat in Vettel.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 9th September 2013, 13:59

It’s not Vettel’s success that is spoiling F1, it’s everyone else’s failure to adequately compete with him. Booing, by nature, surely is aimed at the person doing something wrong. It’s a curious inversion then to boo the person who is achieving the single objective set by every single F1 team – winning. The ones doing something wrong are those who are failing. Why not boo Webber for his almost complete inability to match his teammate? Why not boo Ferrari for building poor cars?

If the lack of competition is spoiling your enjoyment of F1, then blame the ones who are failing to compete. It’s not down to Vettel or Red Bull to slow themselves down to give everyone else a chance.

• @mazdachris my sentiment exactly.

• Well, obviously a lot of fans must be sick and tired of the seemingly never-ending impotence of Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes to fight back; and also of reading the 100th news piece about a frustrated Alonso or Hamilton mouthing BS, spouting threadbare pep talk or expressing empty hopes (like Alonso in this roundup).

So far, I do agree with your reasoning.

However, this impotence is in very large degree due to those teams being unable to design truly competitive cars for years now.

The pilots themselves driving those cars could be considered more like victims of this impotence, not the cause. (Especially because we are talking about world champions, not some safe pairs of hands or unproven young hopefuls).

So then, how could a fan express his dissatisfaction with Team Ferrari or Team McLaren during a race or a podium ceremony? Boo the driver who still tries to do his best with inadequate machinery?

On the other hand, booing the guy who “ruins” the fun by being so dominant may not be decent, but it’s still the only way for fans to vent their frustration then and there.

I would even say that any honest person working for Ferrari or McLaren should know that the booing is ultimately aimed at them, as it simply wouldn’t occur were they doing their jobs properly.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th September 2013, 16:17

I will applaud anyone who gets out there, stands up and tries to break the mob spirit. We see far to little of that, and its dangerous.

I wonder how many of those people booing feel ashamed of themselves as well, and maybe they even wonder why they did it the next morning, after the great feeling of being part of the crowd wears off @abdurahman.

As @keithcollantine rightly points out this kind of “fandom” hurts a sport, makes it less fun, and even dangerous. It brings out the worst sides of humanity.