Bahrain Grand Prix to be night race in 2014

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Bahrain International Circuit, 2004In the round-up: The Bahrain Grand Prix will be a night race next year.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Bahrain to switch to night race in 2014 (Autosport)

“The Bahrain Grand Prix is to switch to a night race next year, with the circuit set to confirm the news in the next few days.”

Hamilton thinks it’s all over. Or maybe not (Reuters)

“When I got out of the car I was angry, and definitely thought that would be it. But I’ve been back with my engineers and I’m not going to give up.”

2013 Italian Grand Prix (FIA)

Fernando Alonso: “Concerning yesterday, it?s the third or fourth consecutive race that some people have tried to create some tension between the team and the drivers.”

Massa takes one for the team (ESPN)

“We know that it’s not the best thing for a driver to do. But it’s important for the team because looking at the championship it is pretty difficult with Sebastian [Vettel] winning all the time and it could be the last possibility for Fernando [to fight for the title], I think.”

Todt rejects electioneering claim (The Telegraph)

“Todt said that he had not actively sought to gain members’ approval. ‘How can I avoid it?’ he asked. ‘If you have a group of people who say ‘You are doing a good job. We want you’.’”

Massa wants Ferrari stay as decision looms (BBC)

Luca di Montezemolo: “We will think very, very carefully, because we don’t have a gun here [pointing at is head] to decide tomorrow or after tomorrow, but after Monza this will be something I want to decide.”

Driver decision not made yet, says Domenicali (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“Ferrari?s Stefano Domenicali confirmed today that an announcement on the team?s 2014 driver plans is due soon ?ǣ and insisted that no decision has yet been taken.”

Martin Whitmarsh’s ‘McLaren 50′ speech (McLaren)

“And here?s a statistical quirk for you: since then, during which time only McLaren and Ferrari have been ever-present in Formula One, and during which time 100-odd other Formula One teams have come and gone, our two teams, McLaren and Ferrari, have won precisely 182 grands prix each.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Robert doesn’t appreciate the disrespect being shown to Vettel by those who boo him:

I, for one, hate the dominance he is showing and I can?t really say I like him as a person, but people who aren?t his fans still need to open their eyes and see he?s not doing anything wrong. He?s just driving the fastest car in the fastest way possible, and that has to be appreciated.

In my country there?s a saying regarding people who aren?t respectful, roughly translated to not having the seven-year home schooling.
Robert (@Gicu)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Mark Hitchcock and Prashanth Bhat!

On this day in F1

Jackie Stewart produced a superb recovery drive at Monza to climb from 16 places to fourth and secure his third world championship title 40 years ago today.

At the head of the field Ronnie Peterson led a Lotus one-two, followed by Emerson Fittipaldi. Peter Revson took third for McLaren.

Here’s footage from the start of the race:

Image ?? Tilke Gmbh

149 comments on Bahrain Grand Prix to be night race in 2014

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th September 2013, 8:20

I wonder what Al Zayani means when he says the Sakhir circuit will undergo a range of upgrades in addition to the lighting. I assume they are just going to re-surface the circuit and maybe refurbish the facilities, but I wonder if they are considering using the short circuit. Last time they commemorated an anniversary was in 2010, celebrating the sixtieth anniversay of the World Championship, and they made the baffling decision to use the unpopular long layout. I wonder if they will go in the opposite direction and use the short perimeter circuit.

2. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 9th September 2013, 8:28

As long as people keep booing Vettel I hope he keeps giving them exactly the result they want least. They aren’t fans, they’re haters

The first part is OK, that’s your opinion and i respect it but the second part is completely unfair to the fans because i strongly doubt that you have the ability to judge hundreds of thousands of people the way you did.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th September 2013, 9:02

@tifoso1989

the second part is completely unfair to the fans

‘Fans’ is a misnomer when applied to people who have gone to a race to jeer and boo and someone they’ve decided to hate. Hence ‘haters’.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 9th September 2013, 10:59

@keithcollantine
        I’m just wondering why you didn’t qualify the “British fans” as “haters” when they booed Vettel in the British GP ???

• Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 9th September 2013, 12:45

@keithcollantine I’m ready to wage a my ticket to next yrs Melbourne GP that these people you accuse did not just go to the race to jeer and boo. People are allowed to display passion for whatever they follow, positive or negative. Unfortunately this situation has happened so many times now, its become a standard when Vettel wins. While it’s not something I’m fond of either, ‘haters’ as you call them are a part of society. A society without opinions would be very bland.

• John H (@john-h) said on 9th September 2013, 20:04

This is a bit over the top isn’t it? Most people that booed probably just followed the crowd. Same at Silverstone – I don’t think all the people that booed ‘hated’ (a very strong term) Vettel – surely not?

• Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 10th September 2013, 5:37

Since when does Booing mean that they hate him? I hate to play this card but as an American I just look at all these posts from mainly Europeans about how bad they think booing is and it just seems IDK.., I don’t mean this in an offensive way but “sissy-ish” like “oh my gosh don’t hurt their feelings by booing, they’re not man enough to accept that not everybody in the world is absolutely in love with them you’re going to destroy their fragile coddled egos”.

Booing a driver is no different then a person going to see a movie and then being like “meh I didn’t think it was that good” or going to a restaurant and ordering the house special and then being like “I wish it had a little less salt or some more beef”. You’re not saying that you think the people who slaved away to make the movie deserve to be executed because you feel it was only a 3-star movie instead of a 5-star movie or that you hope the chefs’ gas oven blows-up on him, no you’re simply saying you’re not pleased with the outcome which is beyond OK to say.

3. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 9th September 2013, 9:01

Can the Bahrain race not be run under floodlights? So, y’know, we don’t have to watch it…

4. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 9th September 2013, 9:32

Disagree with @keithcollantine and everyone else who make a fuss every time Vettel gets booed. Happens all the time in team sports as football(I’m a football fan as well), for example. We’re the paying public and we can boo or cheer whomever we like. As long as it’s not racism/xseism etc.

I actually quite like Vettel’s mature reactions to this. Much more mature than for example, the most hated footballer in the world(C. Ronaldo) who gets into altercations with fans many times. Seb’s doing a good job, he’s dominating and if he gets booed everywhere it only means he’s doing something right. Then again, he’s also doing something wrong. To compare with football again, Leo Messi, despite being every inch as dominant as Ronaldo rarely gets booed outside of Madrid…

But that’s beside the point. As I said Vettel’s reactions to this are mostly mature. Some Vettel fans though react to it,as though they’re 1st graders in the first week of school “Mommy, these bad boys say bad things about that boy weeeeeeeee”. Hardly a surprise. These are the same people to whom Vettel is minimum a demi-god who can do no wrong, so logically booing him(as opposed to a million other sportsmen in the world) is an act of sacrilege

• Dan Brown (@danbrown180) said on 9th September 2013, 10:52

I didn’t think there were any Vettel fans, I thought people just tolerated him boring them to death.

• Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 9th September 2013, 13:52

@montreal95 Actually his long speeches are those that irritate me . He goes on and on and on about his victories,”obviously” .

I may not be too harsh on the vettel fans as you have been here, but I am not going to change my opinion of his attitude.

However , rest assured, I won’t boo anybody.

As you point out, it is basically more a reaction of venting out emotions after another failed attempt by Ferrari than genuine malice towards Vettel . On this occasion , Vettel dealt with it admirably .

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 9th September 2013, 14:26

@hamilfan Why wouldn’t you boo anybody? As a football fan who visits the games frequently I happen to do a lot of booing. It’s the nature of a sporting rivalry. If you’re an Arsenal fan you would boo Tottenham no matter what and vice versa. Yes the fans of each team’s “hate” the opposite team, but that’s the nature of the rivalry and the height of the emotions involved. that doesn’t mean you hate a Tottenham player/Vettel etc. personally. And contrary to what @keithcollantine believes, I don’t believe they came to Monza to hate Vettel. They came to cheer for Ferrari, Ferrari hadn’t won, Vettel did. They don’t like that and they don’t like him so they boo. They have every right to do so. Vettel took it on the chin so good for him.

Certain people seem to forget that the fans are the foundation on which F1 stands. Without them there would be no F1. Like it or not, these people paid a lot of money to be there and they can express their like or dislike for a driver. Again, not the racist type, etc. but booing is not racism

• Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 9th September 2013, 20:06

@montreal95 I am extremely disappointed and crestfallen that my favorite driver has not won . But still , I congratulate the guy who won fairly and move on . If I am very frustrated , then I simply don’t say anything at all . I guess , it is nature that people react differently , but I think we should not practice essay writing for these silly things and take a cue from Vettel and move on .

Having seen so many comments I had to do this at one point to reaffirm my beliefs
          boo: definition – a sound produced to indicate contempt, scorn or disapproval of something.

@keithcollantine While on the one hand , it is extremely impolite and even ill mannered to boo , you cannot call people who boo thugs . They are very different things . You can at best call the tifosi a ” brash crowd ” of sorts . Anyhow I doubt anyone is going to change perception over this issue . If you are so very civil , the best way to set the example would be to do a “vettel” at Monza .

On the other hand if you start saying things like ” RBR is here to win ! vettel is here to dominate !! ” you will typically get responses like ” the crowd are there to boo ” .

I don’t think we can influence a thousand people to do things differently by posting on twitter or by instigating arguments . The better way would be to react to the circumstance and let things take its own course . That is my perception .

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th September 2013, 14:30

@montreal95 It’s a shame how eager some people are to stand up for their ‘right’ to pick on someone. I can think of nobler causes.

You seem to think only whose who worship Vettel could object to him being jeered at. The Comment of the Day shows that is not the case.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s nothing more than a matter of civility. It’s pathetic to see people behave in this way. I think it reflects poorly on F1 and on the many real fans who wouldn’t stoop so low.

Vettel deserves praise for how he’s handled it. But he shouldn’t have to, and those who subject him to it deserve only contempt.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 9th September 2013, 15:20

@keithcollantine
        Again it’s completely normal to react in this way. Happens all the time including in F1(Remember the video from 1990 at Monza when Senna retired and the boos were much more thunderous than those for Vettel? He still has some way to go :) )

Like it or not, that’s the nature of competitive sports fans. You can’t deny it. When you’re a passionate fan of your team/driver etc. you not only love your team you “hate” the rival team as well especially if that’s an intense rivalry. That’s the stuff from which sports legends are made: Lakers Vs Celtics, Rangers vs Celtic, Boca Juniors Vs River Plate. I can continue until my arms are numb and I can no longer type. If you want to watch only polite claps regardless of how the public feels of its favourite’s opponent you can go watch snooker, not Italian GP at Monza with the tifosi

What you name civility I name elitism, and it’s one of the things I hate the most about F1(yes I said the H-word and I’m not sorry about it!). I also have another name for it: hypocrisy. If you clap your hands for a driver who you’d just minutes beforehand wanted to break down his car and retire, you’re nothing but a hypocrite. Bad name for F1? You mean, having an elitist image of sport with PR computers as drivers and Ronspeak and unfathomably complicated rules and an overall impression of a soulless enterprise for rich guys is good for F1?

Last time: sporting “hate” is a normal thing. It’s nothing personal. It only becomes personal when it goes the racist way since race has nothing to do with sport

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th September 2013, 18:26

@montreal95

that’s the nature of competitive sports fans

No, it’s the mindless behaviour of thugs. Plenty of others are able to enjoy sport and express their support without feeling the need to jeer at the competitors. That much is clear from the comments here and on other articles. That Tweet from yesterday is the single most popular one I’ve ever sent (from over 40,000) – clearly there are plenty of other people who share its sentiment.

What you name civility I name elitism

Then you are mis-defining “elitism” because it has nothing to do with this.

An obvious straw man argument; of course I’m not saying people should behave that way.

“hate” is a normal thing. It’s nothing personal

That is obviously false. We are talking about a group of people singling out an individual for abuse. It is by definition “personal”. The jeering Vettel gets is directed personally at him.

Your response exemplifies some of the most worrying aspects about the abuse Vettel is getting. The people doing it are bullies. Those who defend them by saying it’s “normal” to jeer at people legitimise their actions, validate their behaviour and encourage them to do worse.

From there on it is a downward spiral. Where it ends, I don’t know, but seeing as you’ve singled out the vile sectarian loathing between Rangers and Celtic supporters as something F1 should aspire to (an appalling suggestion), we can look to the worst excesses of football fans for examples. And perhaps one day F1 spectators will have to be treated the same way, segregated by tribe and forbidden to buy alcohol at race tracks because they can’t be trusted not to attack each other like animals.

This is why those who think they’re right to boo someone just because he’s won a race, or are kidding themselves that they’re not personally attacking him when they do, need to be reminded like infants in a playground that it’s not right to pick on people, whatever the context, whatever the excuse.

• phildick (@phildick) said on 9th September 2013, 19:04

That’s the stuff from which sports legends are made

Yeah, right. Like Heysel.

5. Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 9th September 2013, 9:43

Was there booing at the end of the Italian Grand Prix? Sorry I never heard it. If Herr Vettel wins I always mute the sound on the TV, so I don’t have to listen to the childlike squeals of delight on the car to pit radio. The sound then usually stays off until the end of the programme. I don’t like Vettel. He may feel that his after race celebrations are OK but, for some reason, I find his raised index finger offensive in the extreme. I also find his petulance, when he doesn’t win, very much like that of a spoilt child. A World Champion should behave with the dignity of a true master. He should not continue to act as though he has been set free in the sweet shop with unlimited funds.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 9th September 2013, 9:57

Yeah if there’s one thing I can’t stand in sport, it’s when people get excited when they win. I mean, come on. What we really want to see is a winner reacting with a dignified, expressionless deadpan. Like a Victorian Gentleman learning that his wife has died during childbirth. That’s what’s definitely going to improve the sport – champions who couldn’t care less when they win.

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 9th September 2013, 10:03

lol +1 Mazda Chris

• aka_robyn said on 9th September 2013, 12:13

Like a Victorian Gentleman learning that his wife has died during childbirth.

Hmm, that might be a bit too dramatic, as well — too many emotions churning beneath the surface. I think it should be more like the way a professional accountant reacts to having just successfully filed a client’s tax return. (For a guide, see K. Raikkonen.)

• S2G-Unit (@s2g-unit) said on 9th September 2013, 14:40

ahahahah!

My god let people live! The Booing & cheering from your favorite or most hated driver is part of the fun.

Let racers enjoy their victory, they aren’t having dinner at a Charity event or Christmas ball/black tie affair.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th September 2013, 16:21

“Thank you team, another 25 points on the board. Now let us get the podium over with and we can go for the next one”

• dennis (@dennis) said on 9th September 2013, 11:06

There was someone else pointing out how sport is all about “emotion” and celebrating and whatnot. Hence the booing is okay. Now you say Vettel should stay quiet in the car after a victory.

I love where this is going. People don’t like his finger, his helmets, his interviews, his hair… People feel entitled to hate him and use every single excuse to do so, except for being butthurt about him winning so much.

6. Dan Brown (@danbrown180) said on 9th September 2013, 10:47

I guess it’ll be easier to see the petrol bombs in the dark.

7. William (@william) said on 9th September 2013, 11:14

Good on you Bahrain for being like Qatar for MotoGP and I like when there are night races. I wonder what is going to happen to Channel Ten and One now with the broadcasting next year. Did Bernie really know about F1 calendar or is he being sarcastic about it when Martin interviewed him

8. Girts (@girts) said on 9th September 2013, 15:28

Raikkonen would be good for Ferrari. He is apolitical. He will push Alonso. He will take points off Vettel by finishing between the German and Alonso, which Massa almost never does. His results will motivate Ferrari employees. He will be ready to play number two if he is out of title contention himself, like he did at the end of 2008. After all, Alonso-Massa pairing haven’t won any titles for the team so it only makes sense to try something else.

For sure, there are arguments against signing him, too. He will take points off Alonso now and then. Alonso might prefer Massa. The past tensions between Raikkonen and the team might be gone but not forgotten.

That said, I believe that the pros outweigh the cons in this case.

9. The haters comment is very right I don’t think people all over the world boo him just because of his cynic episodes I think it’s just because they are envy of his success. Schumi was every bit as cynic as Vettel and he wasn’t as hated.

10. Jack (@jmc200) said on 9th September 2013, 22:39

Vettel has partly brought the booing on himself, multi-21 aside, Vettel was already unpopular. The “Mark is too slow” “TRY SOMETHING THEN” “HE LEFT ME NO ROOM” comments show his unpleasant side, certainly while racing. While the obvious favouritism of Red Bull, in comparison to his popular team mate make him look spoilt, and that his advantage is unfair. This coupled with his chirpy outside car character makes him look pretty two faced. The fact he doesn’t have twitter is obviously his choice, but he’s the only driver without it, means he has zero fan interaction, unlike Alonso, making him far less popular than Nando. This coupled with the fact that almost all of his wins are boring Vettel-fests means fans associate him him with a dull race for victory . The finger is probably the worst thing, on the Canada podium, both AlO and HAM waved for the photo and Vettel just did the finger! So big headed! Booing is nothing new, Lewis was booed last year at Monza, that’s what Monza’s like! Fans need a bad guy, and domination will never be popular, so people need to get off their high horse and see what normal fans see: Same guy wins all the time, cold, quite rude, and on a personal level, unknown to them. Vettel is a pantomime bad guy.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 10th September 2013, 2:07

@jmc200

Yeah, people love digging stuff like that up, then worship somone like Button, who is similarly, a nice guy out of the car, but as emotional as anyone, what with his calling Kobayashi an “idi0t”, or complaining about the grip/balance.strategy, or Perez racing him, or shouting “what was he doing”, when he moves across Hamilton trying to pass him.

Again, people seem to have an issue with this, then have no problem when it happens elsewhere. Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso are favoured over their teammates. Like Vettel, they earned thatstatus by consisitently beating their teammates.

I doubt he doesn’t wave for photos, and he did just win the race, on merit, fairly, and thrashing the field again.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 10th September 2013, 2:43

And to clarify, I’m not trying to have a go at Button, or diminish his character. Just pointing out how easy it is for drivers to lose their cool in the heat of the moment, no matter how likeable they may be out of the car.

• Look at todays roundup and read the piece from DC where he mentions what Alonso (and Vettel in Malaysia) said over the radio @jmc200, and you will see that the only difference between Vettel/Alonso demanding or Button “whining” on the radio and earlier drivers who we never heard saying things like that is just a matter of NOT getting to HEAR those radio communications because they were encrypted and team internal.
      Its nothing the drivers can help and instead of disliking it shouldn’t we rather be glad about how we can see and hear more of who these people are really?

11. RACERNORRISKI (@racernorriski) said on 10th September 2013, 1:47

Night races are UNnatural and I for one do not like them in any venue, F1, those guys that race in circles and so on. AND nite races on street circuits are even more dislikable………… If the desert heat is the problem (I am disregarding the politics) than start in the early am into full lite of the day………… listen up Bernie, a I am getting tired of telling you about this nite racing thing!!! thanks, R

12. bebilou (@bebilou) said on 10th September 2013, 10:35

Night or day race, that will change nothing to the boring layout of the track.

13. Abdurahman (@) said on 10th September 2013, 11:16

I am starting to see things differently now about the booing. It is peoples emotions, but at the same time I am reflecting on the motorsports events I’ve been to in my life. I grew up going to motorcycle races mostly and my grandfather and father taught us to applaud EVERY competitor in the cool down lap. From first place, to the ones at the back, we stand and congratulate them ALL These guys are out there risking their lives for their thrill and competition and our entertainment and we should only applaud that.

Hmmmm, Vettel is just so darn irritating though.
    (But loved him on Top Gear!)