Massa confirms he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Hungaroring, 2013Felipe Massa will leave Ferrari at the end of the year, he has confirmed on Twitter.

Rumours have linked Kimi Raikkonen to a move to the team next year.

“From 2014 I will no longer be driving for Ferrari,” Massa announced on Tuesday evening.

“I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together. Thank you also to my wife and all of my family, to my fans and all my sponsors.

“From each one of you I have always received a great support! Right now I want to push as hard as possible with Ferrari for the remaining seven races. For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the championship which remains my greatest objective! Thank you all.”

Massa joined Ferrari in 2006 and scored his first victory for the team in the Turkish Grand Prix that year. In 2008 he narrowly missed out on winning the world championship in the final round, losing to Lewis Hamilton by a single point.

The following year Massa was seriously injured in a crash at the Hungaroring and was out of action for the rest of the season. He returned in 2010 but since then has struggled to get on terms with new team mate Fernando Alonso.

Since his crash Massa has not added to the 11 wins he scored for the team. He was on course for victory at Hockenheim in 2010 but was ordered to let Alonso past to take the win.

Massa has started more races for Ferrari than any driver bar Michael Schumacher.

Updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

209 comments on Massa confirms he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014

1 2 3 6
  1. Thank you!

That seat was being well and truly wasted since 2011. That also confirms we’ve got new drivers in the two teams who finished 1st and 2nd in last year’s constructors championship – how often has that actually happened?

• i agree 100 percent, ferrari have been carrying around an anchor with the last name of massa for far too long now with kimi and fernando they can actually fight for the championships again

• @vettel1 : Any chance we see the biggest Rooster of all times back in Ferrari #MSC7Ferrari

• @vettel1 I would’nt call it fully wasted though. Ferrari gained a bit through Massa as a supporting driver for Fernando. I mean I feel Sorry for Massa to a degree. If does not match up Fernando, people say that he is not good and if he matches up to Fernando and betas him in qualifying or the race start, he is asked to let him pass by. Hoe can you expect someone perform will and order him to let another driver pass by.

For me Massa’s exit is a Loss to Ferrari and More of an Individuality for Felipe. I mean, for all said and done where ever he goes next year he does not have to think of being obligated to some one and kept as a Suicidal Pawn for another driver.

Hope that once the pressure is off Massa’s Back he will start to perform better.

All said and done his statistics are not mean. He has a very good record with Ferrari. His stats for Ferrari are little better than Fernando to be honest. Courtesy Autosport.com

FERRARI STARTS

1 Michael Schumacher, 58
      2 Niki Lauda, 23
      3 Felipe Massa, 15
      4 Alberto Ascari, 13
      5 Jacky Ickx, 11
      6 Rubens Barrichello, 11

2. Finally confirmed. Forza Kimi!

3. vinicius.jlantunes (@vinicius-jlantunes) said on 10th September 2013, 19:51

It finally happened…

4. This feels like him getting one up on the team by breaking the news before Ferrari themsleves. Regardless I hope he finds a team that actually engage Felipe fully instead of using him as a support driver

5. GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 10th September 2013, 19:52

It’s a shame but he has had some great times in his career, was so close to being F1 champion!

Lets hope he has either a decent drive lined up or somewhere else to go, he is undoubtedly very talented, just not the same as what he used to be.

• LawFish (@lawfish) said on 10th September 2013, 19:58

Agreed. Great team player, perhaps too much so. I still think he has what it takes. Maybe a new team can give him that.

• Bobby Balboa (@bobby-balboa) said on 10th September 2013, 20:30

@lawfish

He nearly had “what it takes” in 2008 and since then injury or not he has been far away from “what it takes”.

History remembers world champions not runners up. Unfortunately for Massa he came close and since then has declined and I have no sympathy that he’s had to play 2nd fiddle to Alsonso who clearly made his intentions knows on & off track when he signed for Ferrari.

Massa is just another Irvine or Barrichello. All great drivers but didn’t have the skills to reach the top.

I have nothing against the guy & I’m not a Ferarri fan but I am so glad we will have a team with 2 WC’s and I think we can make an educated guess that Kimi won’t be hoping to be the next Massa

• Broom (@brum55) said on 10th September 2013, 22:25

He has produced far more inspired drives than either of those two in 2008 alone.
          History may not remember runners-up but Massa gave his fans all over the world happiness and enjoyment in 07 & 08 – they will remember him in years to come.
          At his best he dominated Raikkonen for quite a period of time. None of Kimi’s other team-mates have come close to doing this.
          He played 2nd fiddle to Alonso, but Alonso is a brilliant driver and not many drivers in the could live with the form he has shown at Ferrari.

• Massa should be thankful that Ferrari didn’t sack him seasons ago as he clearly hasn’t justified his seat since 2008.

I don’t think Massa shouldn’t be thankful at all. It’s just a business relationship, if Ferrari had not considered that he fulfilled his goal, they would have fired him long ago.
          If you were right, then Ferrari should be grateful to him also. No any driver agrees to be humiliated just to Alonso can win a WDC.
          (And yes, I know, I have to improve my english… Sorry about that.)

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 10th September 2013, 23:43

@andrei I agree with the fact that it is business & big money. But is it humiliation? Most of the time there are first and second drivers in teams. As you said he did the job – for years, more than anyone except MSC.

• Today I looked at the images of Massa on that podium, with tears welling up hearing the Brazilian fans cheer him. I want to remember him for that, not sure having a go in another team will do any good.

Maybe it would be better for him to move on.

• phildick (@phildick) said on 11th September 2013, 9:17

My logical reasoning tells me the same, that he will no longer be back at his top form.

But a part of me has started believing that after he’s been let loose of the Ferrari chains, he may still surprise us. After reading of lots of great comments I get the notion that playing second fiddle to Alonso was the main thing that stifled him and put him on the downward spiral every season.

I started thinking of Massa-HĂĽlkenberg pairing at Lotus. Sorry Romain ;) I think that’s the only place he should go if ever and the only team that still has the potential to surprise the usual suspects next year.

I’d really like the guy to win just one more race. And without Multi-21.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 11th September 2013, 13:47

Well said @bascb, that was, ‘for sure’ his finest moment.

6. Merv (@) said on 10th September 2013, 19:54

Can’t wait to see him drive for himself for the rest of the season…

7. This is very sad, he was a true Champion before the accident and for me he is the 2008 Champion…

Anyway i hope Ferrari has the sense to put a good driver there… Welcome back to Ferrari Raikkonen

8. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 10th September 2013, 19:56

Why not Stayathome Team? That would be great Felipe!!!!!

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 10th September 2013, 21:17

Do you really have such a low opinion of Felipe Massa that you’d want to see him out of F1 altogether, or are you just making an attempt at humour?

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 10th September 2013, 21:57

@colossal-squid Well, Barrichello had a good final stint at Brawn, but there he shoul have retired. His seasons at Williams only left his good race in Hungary as a “could have been better”.

And Massa can get some goof fresh air next year, but, just in case, I think he should take a nice farewell racing for Ferrari in Brazil, and trying to get the most of it, not accepting any other team order once and for all.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 10th September 2013, 22:05

@omarr-pepper I love Felipe, so I naturally want to see him continue, and I think he’s young enough (he’s only 32!) that he can have a few more years. Barrichello could have bowed out, but he stuck around and had a great season with Brawn. Maybe something similar can happen to Massa. Either way, I’d like to see him continue, even if it’s in a lower seat. Agreed on Brazil. If he has one more great old-school Massa performance left in him, let it be there!

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 10th September 2013, 22:12

good fresh air

• ken (@kenke) said on 10th September 2013, 21:38

OmarR-Pepper,well i look forward to your reaction should he become world champion in future say if he signs with lotus,remember button’s 2009 campaign out of the blues

9. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 10th September 2013, 19:56

I like Felipe as a person but I think he should have left Ferrari after 2010.
    Lets see if he will find a seat for next year.
    And i’m very curious to see his driving from now on.

10. Swap with Hulkenberg anyone?

11. Lauri (@f1lauri) said on 10th September 2013, 19:57

I think nobody is happy with his performance in Ferrari for couple of years. But wouldn’t it be great to see him drive in another team and be successful? I’d like to see that happen! Rubens did get his chance after Ferrari with Brawn GP.

12. I knew this is coming…still sad, but it is inevitable.

13. Ouch, well it is of course a good decision, but still lets some bitter taste seeing Massa leaving after such a long career with them, with its ups and downs.

14. S2G-Unit (@s2g-unit) said on 10th September 2013, 20:01

thank you! maybe now I will believe in a higher power!

lol

Bye Massa, thank you about time!

KIMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 10th September 2013, 20:02

What in the world happend to “If I’m not driving for Ferrari, I’m no longer in F1″?

Perhaps Ferrari have bought him a spot at Sauber but I higly doubt that, Bianchi is the man they want to do that for.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 10th September 2013, 21:12

He changed his mind? He’s allowed :-P

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 10th September 2013, 22:26

@force-maikel – I would imagine the he’ll retire at the end of season. There could be a seat at Lotus if they want to get rid of Grosjean, but that’s the only scenario in which I can envisage Massa ending up in F1 next year. Like Webber, his time has come. He’s had a great and long lived run right at the front of field fighting for wins, poles and podiums in arguably the most prestigious seat in motorsport, so I highly doubt a few seasons in a horribly oversteering Caterham just to delay the inevitable retirement from F1 would appear to him all that greatly. Also, although Massa is genuinely one of the nicest guys in the paddock, his exit would free up another seat to be filled by the great young talents of Magnussen, Vandoorne, Bird, Frijns and inevitably Antonio Felix Da Costa.

Regarding Bianchi, he almost certainly won’t end up at Sauber. Sauber can’t afford not to have a Sirotkin-Gutierrez, or as Brundle says a “blind leading the blind” driver line-up, unless Ferrari subsidize his place at Sauber with a hefty cheque, a cheque they’ll probably have to spend on Kimi with his love of ice cream and vodka. Bianchi has a better shot at a Force India seat. Despite some sporadic good performances, from what I hear Sutil is as good as gone, and it seems to be a choice between Bianchi and Calado for that.

1 2 3 6