Massa confirms he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Hungaroring, 2013Felipe Massa will leave Ferrari at the end of the year, he has confirmed on Twitter.

Rumours have linked Kimi Raikkonen to a move to the team next year.

“From 2014 I will no longer be driving for Ferrari,” Massa announced on Tuesday evening.

“I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together. Thank you also to my wife and all of my family, to my fans and all my sponsors.

“From each one of you I have always received a great support! Right now I want to push as hard as possible with Ferrari for the remaining seven races. For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the championship which remains my greatest objective! Thank you all.”

Massa joined Ferrari in 2006 and scored his first victory for the team in the Turkish Grand Prix that year. In 2008 he narrowly missed out on winning the world championship in the final round, losing to Lewis Hamilton by a single point.

The following year Massa was seriously injured in a crash at the Hungaroring and was out of action for the rest of the season. He returned in 2010 but since then has struggled to get on terms with new team mate Fernando Alonso.

Since his crash Massa has not added to the 11 wins he scored for the team. He was on course for victory at Hockenheim in 2010 but was ordered to let Alonso past to take the win.

Massa has started more races for Ferrari than any driver bar Michael Schumacher.

Updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

209 comments on Massa confirms he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014

1. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 10th September 2013, 20:08

It’s been fun and at the same time excruciating to watch Massa at Ferrari post his accident. I still believe that when in complete control of himself, he is one of the finest drivers on the grid. I do hope to still see him race, possibly with a midfield team. Force India or Williams could do well with his experience even though he brings no sponsors to the table. Here’s to a different and more relaxed Massa in 2014, hopefully with a team which will appreciate his skill.

2. andae23 (@andae23) said on 10th September 2013, 20:09

Combined with the rumours Kimi will be announced on Wednesday, that rumour is starting to look increasingly more likely…

I really hope he will find a seat for 2014, though I’m not sure how realistic a competitive car for next year will be. I suspect that Alonso is a driver that makes any good teammate look like second class, so Massa probably isn’t as ‘bad’ as we think he is. Still, by staying with Ferrari he has gained a label, so it will be very difficult to find a seat for 2014 anyway, especially considering lots of teams are looking for pay drivers.

Nonetheless, bring in some fresh rooster!

• Diceman (@diceman) said on 10th September 2013, 20:12

Yeah I think Lotus is his only chance for a top-drive, and I’m shocked if Hulkenberg doesn’t get that seat. So it’s not looking likely he’ll get a chance in a top-team in F1 anymore.

3. evered7 (@evered7) said on 10th September 2013, 20:11

Somehow this leaves a little bit of a void in my mind. A very likeable character. Never the same person after the accident.

It is clear that he is not able to match the performance of the front runners lap after lap. Still comes with a great deal of experience which might be useful to the small budget teams.

Can’t forget his start at the Hungarian grand prix 2008.

Good luck Felipe. You will always be the Felipe baby.

4. oliveiraz33 (@oliveiraz33) said on 10th September 2013, 20:11

Bild already confirmed Raikkonen for Ferrari

5. Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 10th September 2013, 20:11

So let me get this straight… Ferrari has just re-hired a driver that they paid about £10m to NOT drive for them in 2010?

• josephrobert (@josephrobert) said on 10th September 2013, 20:30

haha! oh Ferrari, such a character in F1.

On Massa, he sacrificed his quali a bit to help Alonso in the last race, then let Alonso, past in the race. Its true he has not been on the same level as Alonso but when he is, he is not allowed to be. If Alonso had a team mate taking points of him like at mclaren, he would not have been able to get his ‘not the best car’ in a position to fight for the championship every year.

Massa has been asked to do a number 2 drivers job at ferrari in a sport where no one wants to be number 2. He has done it to Ferrari’s benafit, let Alonso past, taken penalties etc and I think he deserves more respect then he gets.

The English media are unfair to Massa, Jake was pretty rude here for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ-uG80MM-k

• No, all that’s confirmed is that one of their current drivers has announced they are leaving…

6. luffehamp said on 10th September 2013, 20:13

Does this mean we will see the most unlikely pairing in F1 history?

Kimi & Rob Smedly??????

7. Lewis McMurray (@celicadion23) said on 10th September 2013, 20:15

Now all we have to wait for news on is where Massa is going if he’s staying in F1…..paws off the spare Lotus seat, that’s Hulkenberg’s!!

8. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 10th September 2013, 20:15

Yeah. I’m conflicted right now. It’s sad, because I’ve liked Massa since his crash happy Sauber days, through his brilliant first three years at Ferrari – who could forget his two wins on home soil – and the drama of 2008. People have forgotten that at the end of the 2008 season Massa was very highly regarded as a driver, talked of in the same breath as Hamilton and Raikkonen.

Then that crash happened and he never really has captured his ’08 form. So I’m sad that his career hasn’t panned out the way many expected, but I’m relieved that he is out of Ferrari from a pure performance standpoint, as he has been too frequently woeful in his performance since 2010. Now I’m excited for the future of Ferrari! Alonso and Raikkonen, two of the greats of this generation of drivers, together? It’ll either be the making or ruination of the Domenicali era at Ferrari.

As a Ferrari fan, after all that he’s done for the team, and despite his performance issues over the past four seasons, I say thank you Felipe.

9. Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 10th September 2013, 20:16

I worry he’ll go the way of Heikki – spend a year or two at the back of the grid before disappearing relatively anonymously. It would be a shame to see his career end like this so lets hope he gets a seat that is at least regularly capable of points.

10. Wow, it feels like the end of an era. It’s true that Felipe hasn’t won a lot, but he’s been in a Ferrari for quite a long time.
    Leaving Ferrari was the best thing to do for both Massa and Ferrari. I don’t know if Massa is going to have a seat next year, if he doesn’t, he should try some new series. I honestly believe he can be very competitive, even if his last few years were a disaster.

11. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 10th September 2013, 20:18

The celebrations in the comments page sadden me. :-(

He was always one of my favorites, and Felipe will be missed. Never forget Brazil 2008. ;-(

• Diceman (@diceman) said on 10th September 2013, 20:22

I have very mixed feelings about this: On the other hand, you could say that it was about a time for Ferrari to get rid of him, because he has under-performed so badly the last 4 years. But still, he was one my favorite-drivers too (and I’m not a Ferrari-fan) so I’m a bit sad to see him going. But to be honest, I think it would be good for him to go somewhere else, because he’s clearly not going to reach anything in F1 anymore.

• @kingshark I’m personally celebrating that Ferrari are hopefully going to move on from their clear one rooster policy. Although that said, Massa really wasn’t worthy of that seat since 2011 and it’s naive to think anything else. Brazil 2008 was a long time ago…

12. He’ll be remembered prominently in F1 for featuring in one of the most dramatic seasons in its history. But this has been long overdue, and I don’t see what options he has. Ferrari would surely want Bianchi in at Sauber, and I see Lotus going with Grosjean and Hulkenberg.

13. john (@jdc123) said on 10th September 2013, 20:26

How about Kimi to ferrari, hulkenberg to lotus and massa to sauber.

14. JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 10th September 2013, 20:33

I hope Massa can get one more win before the end of the season, perhaps if there is the opportunity late on after Fernando is mathematically out of the championship battle he could return one of the many favours he owes Felipe, – maybe even in Brazil? What chance of Alonso actually doing something for someone else? very low but you never know.

15. maxthecat said on 10th September 2013, 20:38

This also confirms Ferrari and Alonso know the Championship is over.

16. Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 10th September 2013, 20:41

As many have said, Massa was a great driver during his first three years at Ferrari and of course he’ll be remembered for 2008 Brazil. However, he’s been wasting a top seat since 2010 and I’m glad he’s finally leaving the team. Yet unlike many, I think it wasn’t the 2009 accident but rather the 2010 Hockenheim and later submitting to his role as a clear number two driver that made Felipe a shadow of his former self.

Unless Massa is able to gather some sponsor money, I highly doubt he’ll find a seat for next season. Those teams that are hiring talent over money have better options than Felipe.

• S2G-Unit (@s2g-unit) said on 11th September 2013, 2:57

I believe it was Nurburgring 2007 that showed Felipe’s character in the post race, pre-press conference room. You could see Fernando had a more dominant character than Felipe.

I’m sure Felipe knew Fernando would be difficult once he they were confirmed as team mates.

17. celeste (@celeste) said on 10th September 2013, 20:42

Well more than any other driver Massa is a gentleman. He did great, for some reason he has not been able to deliver. Wish him the best.

18. PJ (@pjtierney) said on 10th September 2013, 20:42

Massa’s announcement in full.

From 2014 i will no longer be driving for Ferrari. I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together. Thank you also to my wife and all of my family, to my fans and all my Sponsors. From each one of you I have always received a great support! Right now I want to push as hard as possible with Ferrari for the remaining 7 races. For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the Championship which remains my greatest objective!

Thank you all.
    Felipe

19. I find it somewhat saddening to see Massa leaving Ferrari, even though I feel this is the right thing for the team. Hopefully people will remember his Ferrari career best for his performances prior to that awful accident he suffered.

I will never forget Brazil 2008 when he was crying on the team radio after he heard the news that he’d lost the championship, I felt so emotional hearing him.

• Steph (@stephanief1990) said on 10th September 2013, 20:47

@slr beautiful comment. I really hope people remember him in that way too.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 10th September 2013, 20:59

Completely agreed. I know that’s how I’ll remember his time with Ferrari. The character he showed after climbing out of the car after Brazil 2008 was the essence of sportsmanship. He’s truly one of the ‘good guys’ of F1, and I hope we continue to see him on the grid for a few more years.

20. Steph (@stephanief1990) said on 10th September 2013, 20:46

This makes me wonder for the future of the Brazilian GP. It’s been dogged by rumours for a while and correct me if I’m wrong but this will be the first time in decades that there won’t be a Brazilian driver on the grid. Thinking back I can recall the big Brazilian names of Massa- who followed Barrichello- who followed Senna- who followed Piquet Snr and I can’t think of who came before that so that’s going back to the 70s.

As a Ferrari fan, I hope they go for Hulkenberg; he’s the future. They ditched Kimi once, I’m not that convinced about him given that Massa edged him when they were team mates and it’ll only end up annoying Alonso and given that Ferrari can’t build a decent car Fernando’s their greatest asset right now. Kimi would be interesting though because pace wise him and Felipe were always pretty equal, if Kimi goes up against Fernando then it might give some insight into whether Felipe ever really recovered after Hungary. It’s a very rough guide though given the time that has gone by and the changes the cars have gone through.

I’m a huge Massa fan because for me he was one of the few drivers who never had anything handed to him, was actually a nice guy and had some sense of honour. People may disagree with that last point because of the team orders thing but it depends how you measure honour and I think it takes a lot to be kicked in the gut like that but still fight for a career and a team that’s backing someone else. Drivers love to feel that the teams around them and Felipe hasn’t had that feeling in years, it must have been hell. I don’t know what will happen with his career but he’s given me some amazing moments as a fan. I’ll never forget his wild Sauber days, his truly stunning Monaco and Singapore poles, his grace in defeat at Brazil and his pugnacity when he came back from that awful accident to take a podium at Bahrain and fight Alonso for a win at Germany. He’s shown some flashes of great pace- particularly at the beginning of the season and qualifying at Spa over the last couple of years- but even when he was quick he always seemed to have some sort of issue with either his strategy going wrong during q3 at Monza 2010, being denied a change of tyres at Silverstone 11 so Alonso could pit, or random failures and crashes which made Mark Webber seem lucky. Cheers for being the driver on the grid that I had such huge respect for, Felipe.

Ferrari, you’re pure evil for splitting up Medley. Listening to radio transmissions will never be fun again.

And for the last time ever- YES, HE COULD DRIVE IN THE WET.

• well said truly surmising what a stunning racer and person Felipe Massa is. I hope he stays in #F1 in 2014 with a competitive team and regain his lost confidence (or whatever it is) . We have seen fortunes turn in F1 and Reubens did win after leaving Ferrari at the age he was so nothing is impossible. If he has a good run post 2013 he can also act as a motivational figure for Young Brazilian drivers making their foray into single seat racing and could provide the sport with another talent in that way before he hangs the helmet for good. That said, I would personally love to see Felipe driving and winning races for Force India and bring back the racer who made us cry with him on that night of the 2008 Brazilian GP.

• There has been a Brazilian driver in every season (maybe every race?) since the Emmerson Fittipaldi era. If F1 ends up without a Brazilian in 2014, it’ll be the first time in about 40 years!