Massa confirms he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Hungaroring, 2013Felipe Massa will leave Ferrari at the end of the year, he has confirmed on Twitter.

Rumours have linked Kimi Raikkonen to a move to the team next year.

“From 2014 I will no longer be driving for Ferrari,” Massa announced on Tuesday evening.

“I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together. Thank you also to my wife and all of my family, to my fans and all my sponsors.

“From each one of you I have always received a great support! Right now I want to push as hard as possible with Ferrari for the remaining seven races. For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the championship which remains my greatest objective! Thank you all.”

Massa joined Ferrari in 2006 and scored his first victory for the team in the Turkish Grand Prix that year. In 2008 he narrowly missed out on winning the world championship in the final round, losing to Lewis Hamilton by a single point.

The following year Massa was seriously injured in a crash at the Hungaroring and was out of action for the rest of the season. He returned in 2010 but since then has struggled to get on terms with new team mate Fernando Alonso.

Since his crash Massa has not added to the 11 wins he scored for the team. He was on course for victory at Hockenheim in 2010 but was ordered to let Alonso past to take the win.

Massa has started more races for Ferrari than any driver bar Michael Schumacher.

Updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season


Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others

Advert | Go Ad-free

209 comments on Massa confirms he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014

  1. Murray (@dzrhml02) said on 10th September 2013, 22:20

    I am going out there and saying Kobiyashi is Massas replacement; I mean he already drives for Ferrari….

  2. Broom (@brum55) said on 10th September 2013, 22:27

    Not sure why but I’m sad to see him leave. He has been a great servant and ambassador for Ferrari. Raikonnen is definitely an upgrade although I’m surprised he’s returned given the way he was made to leave.

  3. foleyger (@foleyger) said on 10th September 2013, 22:37

    Raikkonen in for a year with an option for 2015 according to the BBC. I doubt Massa will get a seat in an another team next year in F1. Raikkonen and Alonso should be a great battle

  4. Kelsier (@kelsier) said on 10th September 2013, 22:50

    Just like Barrichello refusing to accept that its over. The only thing its going to accomplish is him missing his farewell cake.

  5. Tasimana said on 10th September 2013, 23:03

    Massa letting Alonso pass to win a race was one of the sadest things I have ever seen in F1 (excluding accidents). He was Alonso’s whipping boy but never complained.

    After the accident he was never the same and to Ferraris credit they prolonged his career as it suited them for him to be a number 2 driver.

    Well done Felipe.

    Hulk for the seat. Do a red bull and take a risk!

  6. David (@neiana) said on 10th September 2013, 23:03

    Some interesting things to keep in mind:

    Massa didn’t announce retirement.
    Alonso absolutely wants #1 status and Kimi is no #2.
    There’s an open spot at Lotus.
    Lotus = Renault.
    Kimi is returning to a team he won a championship with.
    Alonso won championships with Renault.

    Alonso could go to Lotus …. WITH Massa.

    Leaving the open seat at Ferrari, instead of Lotus.

    • I really like the theory, but I just don’t want Massa to be a whipping boy, regardless of the team he’s in…

    • Breno (@austus) said on 10th September 2013, 23:30

      Ferrari would lose Santander, Alonso isnt stupid enough to go to Lotus (sure, he won two years, but he had two terrible years there), Lotus cant afford him and… yeah, Alonso has a contract.

  7. karter22 (@karter22) said on 10th September 2013, 23:05

    Well, I must say IĀ“m glad with this news. It was about time and IF Kimi returns, I donĀ“t see why it should be such a great battle… Kimi did have Grosjean as a team mate… ALO handled grosjean fairly well when they were partners so I for one, am really not worried at all. And to be honest… itĀ“ll be great to finaly see both red cars in the top 5 if they can produce something decent for next season!

    On the other hand, I think we are getting settup for a shocker…. I says Hulk gets the seat! Yup I said it!

  8. Vic (@hendrix666) said on 10th September 2013, 23:11

    BBC reporting Kimi signed:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24042352

  9. liam (@) said on 10th September 2013, 23:26

    Alonso to McLaren? Button left without a seat. Could happen.

  10. Vic (@hendrix666) said on 10th September 2013, 23:34

    Now we ask, what do the Lotii do? Hulk, Valsecchi (barf), Massa? Or someone else?

  11. Lovely bloke, deserved the 08 championship as much as Lewis, sadly it had to go to just one man.

    Was brilliant between 06-08, that accident and the arrival of Alonso was a double whammy anybody would struggle with. Politically Alonso is hard to deal with.

    Hopefully he’ll go to another team and get a 2nd wind, similar to Coulthard when he went to Red Bull.

  12. liam (@) said on 10th September 2013, 23:37

    The boss Fiat finally putting the foot down. Seems they no longer want the Constructors Championship neglected. No-1 driver at Ferrari is out the door.

  13. George (@george) said on 11th September 2013, 0:31

    I hope Felipe rediscovers his form in another environment. I’ve always been critical of Ferrari keeping him on but I have nothing against him personally.

  14. While I’ve been advocating his departure since 2011, I can’t help but feel a little sad for him. It’s crazy to compare his post-accident results with the great driver from before, but I guess the accident and Alonso’s arrival never really allowed Felipe to fully recover.

    I hope he, unlike Rubens, will bow out with grace. If he finds a seat for next year, I wouldn’t mind, but I’d like to think he is the kind of Panis/Frentzen driver who ultimately never made it and gets put to the side for new talent.

  15. Since 2011, Massa has had no business being in F1 let alone in a car capable of winning the championship. Placating Alonso with an uncompetitive has been a dismal failure. Just like how you can never give enough to a child who gets everything he/she wants, you can never do enough to keep Alonso happy.

  16. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th September 2013, 3:57

    It’s a shame that the first phrase that popped into my mind when I saw this article was, “Good riddance”. Unfortunately, Massa has nothing new to offer, and is no more performing consistently as his 2008 self.
    Also, as an aside, I hope he doesn’t get a seat, again, as he has nothing new to offer. I hope Nicolas Todt realises this and works at giving his other ward (Jules Bianchi) a Sauber seat, instead of Massa. I wouldn’t begrudge Massa getting a seat in IndyCar, Auto GP etc. though.

  17. Maciek (@maciek) said on 11th September 2013, 8:22

    Too bad about Massa – surely that near-championship year was not a fluke. The guy really had some chops. Sad that he was never the same after a random freak accident like that. But now it was way time for Ferrari to stop screwing around and run two serious competitors.

  18. Bruno (@brunes) said on 11th September 2013, 10:28

    It’s funny how people say that Massa has never been a great driver, or that he didn’t deserve the 2008 tittle.

    Think about it. In his first 3 years for Ferrari, he drove against (2006 – 2008):
    Michael – Ferrari
    Kimi – McLaren/Ferrari
    Alonso – good Renault/McLaren/Renault
    Lewis – McLaren

    The greatest drivers of modern F1 we should say?
    And still, in 3 years he managed 15 pole positions and 11 wins. Something has clearly happened to him, because any drivers with that in the Resume would be considered a top driver.

    • Jono (@me262) said on 11th September 2013, 10:55

      I agree with you, I believe Massa on his day was a match for any on the grid. He could just as easily ended up with championship as Kimi couldve been without one. imo Massa has fallen short on mental strength and self belief stemming from both his accident and the joining of alonso as his team mate

    • He was a great driver. We know he was quicker than Kimi. He was never the same after the accident. It was a serious brain injury. Maybe it affected his reflexes, ability to concentrate over the course of entire races, who knows. Plus there’s the whole aspect of surviving a brush with death, having a child. Maybe he just didn’t care like he used to. He liked being in F1, but his attention lay elsewhere.

  19. Chances are Vettel will have sewn up the title before Brazil, so lets hope for a Massa victory to go out on ;) Would be perfect, and he drove brilliantly in Brazil last year so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

    That said, i have similar thoughts for Webber in Brazil following the same reasoning, would be happy for either of them ;)

  20. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 11th September 2013, 12:05

    It’s a real shame to see so many negative comments regarding Massa leaving Ferrari. A near world champion, in a field of champions is what he should be remembered for. Yes his time has come, he has been underperforming, but a unfortunate driver who made a miraculous recovery from a near death experience deserves more respect.

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments must abide by the comment policy. Comments may be moderated.
Want to post off-topic? Head to the forum.
See the FAQ for more information.

Skip to toolbar