Massa confirms he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Hungaroring, 2013Felipe Massa will leave Ferrari at the end of the year, he has confirmed on Twitter.

Rumours have linked Kimi Raikkonen to a move to the team next year.

“From 2014 I will no longer be driving for Ferrari,” Massa announced on Tuesday evening.

“I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together. Thank you also to my wife and all of my family, to my fans and all my sponsors.

“From each one of you I have always received a great support! Right now I want to push as hard as possible with Ferrari for the remaining seven races. For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the championship which remains my greatest objective! Thank you all.”

Massa joined Ferrari in 2006 and scored his first victory for the team in the Turkish Grand Prix that year. In 2008 he narrowly missed out on winning the world championship in the final round, losing to Lewis Hamilton by a single point.

The following year Massa was seriously injured in a crash at the Hungaroring and was out of action for the rest of the season. He returned in 2010 but since then has struggled to get on terms with new team mate Fernando Alonso.

Since his crash Massa has not added to the 11 wins he scored for the team. He was on course for victory at Hockenheim in 2010 but was ordered to let Alonso past to take the win.

Massa has started more races for Ferrari than any driver bar Michael Schumacher.

Updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

209 comments on Massa confirms he will not drive for Ferrari in 2014

1 4 5 6
  1. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th September 2013, 3:57

It’s a shame that the first phrase that popped into my mind when I saw this article was, “Good riddance”. Unfortunately, Massa has nothing new to offer, and is no more performing consistently as his 2008 self.
    Also, as an aside, I hope he doesn’t get a seat, again, as he has nothing new to offer. I hope Nicolas Todt realises this and works at giving his other ward (Jules Bianchi) a Sauber seat, instead of Massa. I wouldn’t begrudge Massa getting a seat in IndyCar, Auto GP etc. though.

2. Maciek (@maciek) said on 11th September 2013, 8:22

Too bad about Massa – surely that near-championship year was not a fluke. The guy really had some chops. Sad that he was never the same after a random freak accident like that. But now it was way time for Ferrari to stop screwing around and run two serious competitors.

3. Bruno (@brunes) said on 11th September 2013, 10:28

It’s funny how people say that Massa has never been a great driver, or that he didn’t deserve the 2008 tittle.

Think about it. In his first 3 years for Ferrari, he drove against (2006 – 2008):
    Michael – Ferrari
    Kimi – McLaren/Ferrari
    Alonso – good Renault/McLaren/Renault
    Lewis – McLaren

The greatest drivers of modern F1 we should say?
    And still, in 3 years he managed 15 pole positions and 11 wins. Something has clearly happened to him, because any drivers with that in the Resume would be considered a top driver.

• Jono (@me262) said on 11th September 2013, 10:55

I agree with you, I believe Massa on his day was a match for any on the grid. He could just as easily ended up with championship as Kimi couldve been without one. imo Massa has fallen short on mental strength and self belief stemming from both his accident and the joining of alonso as his team mate

• He was a great driver. We know he was quicker than Kimi. He was never the same after the accident. It was a serious brain injury. Maybe it affected his reflexes, ability to concentrate over the course of entire races, who knows. Plus there’s the whole aspect of surviving a brush with death, having a child. Maybe he just didn’t care like he used to. He liked being in F1, but his attention lay elsewhere.

4. Chances are Vettel will have sewn up the title before Brazil, so lets hope for a Massa victory to go out on ;) Would be perfect, and he drove brilliantly in Brazil last year so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

That said, i have similar thoughts for Webber in Brazil following the same reasoning, would be happy for either of them ;)

5. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 11th September 2013, 12:05

It’s a real shame to see so many negative comments regarding Massa leaving Ferrari. A near world champion, in a field of champions is what he should be remembered for. Yes his time has come, he has been underperforming, but a unfortunate driver who made a miraculous recovery from a near death experience deserves more respect.

6. Michael Brown (@) said on 11th September 2013, 12:15

Well at least he’s announced his departure from the team, unlike Barrichello, who tried to hold on as long as possible.

My 2013

Ferrari: Alonso and Räikkönen
    Sauber: Bianchi and Sirotkin
    Force India: Massa and Calado

7. Rick (@viscountviktor) said on 11th September 2013, 16:36

I only started following F1 last year, but I immediately took a liking to Felipe. He is my all time favourite driver, and when I’m older he will continue to be.

I actually feel sad when I see the Brazil 2008 video. Felipe was one of the nicest characters in the paddock and deserved a WC. I really hope he gets a seat next year, possible openings at Lotus, Sauber, Force India.

Felipe, thank you for being a great driver throughout your career, even when you were put through blatant favouritism after your accident.

I will never forget you.

8. Crackers (@crackers) said on 12th September 2013, 5:03

The only consolation for Felipe is that in the last 30 years not a single full season Ferrari driver has finished their career at Ferarri, they have all gone on to race for other teams.

1 4 5 6