Montezemolo disapproves of Vettel booing

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Adrian Newey, Mark Webber, Red Bull, Monza, 2013Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has spoken out against the booing which was targeted at Sebastian Vettel at Monza and other races.

The Italian Grand Prix was the latest in a series of races where Vettel has been the focus of booing from parts of the crowd.

“Maybe it would have been better, if there had been fewer boos for Vettel: congratulations to him and to Red Bull,” said Montezemolo at the Frankfurt Motor Show, “but to our critics and those with short memories, I would like to remind them that in the past few years, Ferrari has always been at the top.”

Vettel’s team mate Mark Webber also criticised the jeering directed at his team mate, saying: “the atmosphere I was not completely a fan of, to be honest”.

Montezemolo said Ferrari were not ready to surrender their chances in the world championship: “There are still a lot of races to go and we must never give up, right to the final kilometre.”

“I think that it will take an enormous effort from everyone, but we must have a competitive car. I have said it before and I say it again: I want to thank the fans, who have shown so much affection and understanding and this must push us to do even more.”

Montezemolo added ??2bn (??1.69bn / $2.65bn) will be invested in Ferrari’s activities over the next five years, excluding its Formula One operation.

2013 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Italian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

64 comments on Montezemolo disapproves of Vettel booing

1. Harold F said on 11th September 2013, 4:40

Hey, don’t forget that Ferrari would most likely want Vettel to drive for them when his contract with RBR is done. This is probably Luca’s way of getting Ferrari’s fans to play nice.

2. Ju88sy (@ju88sy) said on 11th September 2013, 7:47

With seats in Laterale Destra B my wife and I weren’t aware of the booing for Vettel over the general applause and crowd hubbub, it must have sounded worse from the tv mics, and been localised in the mass below the podium.

Restrained, light applause from most of the stand certainly compared to the noise generated for Alonso and Webber!

3. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 11th September 2013, 9:55

The mating ritual…. begins…

4. Garns (@) said on 11th September 2013, 13:06

@nick – You cant boo Kimi for taking the money in 2009 mate, hell I was more that happy to take Ferrari’s cash not to driver their car in 2010…………….. but seeing I have only driven a go-kart I am not so sure I was in the running :)

I am a Webber fan and not a huge Seb fan and would certainly have booed him if I were in Malaysia this year for the Multi-21 fiasco (I will be at Sepang for 2014-YEH) but 1) The guy cant keep coping it for that at each race and 2) does anyone REALLY think the tifosi booed him for the multi-21 OR just because their boys didnt win??

There was no moral high ground taken here on Seb’s history, but just bad supportership.

5. I think this is all moot. Why? Because in a large crowd at a sporting event you are never going to eliminate some fans’ reaction in the form of booing. And while some may think it is classless, the other side of the coin I think can be taken from the likes of Jeff Gordon when asked about fans booing him in Nascar for winning so much (back when he was of course). He said basically that they weren’t booing him, they’re just booing someone who beat their driver, and he also is of the opinion that thank goodness there are fans in the audience that passionate about the sport.

So while I get that Vettel did nothing to deserve booing, I think SV himself would know that all he is guilty of is being successful at what he does and beating drivers who are going to have some pretty staunch fans in the crowd. I’m pretty confident that SV would not be taking it personally and as long as that is the case I really don’t see the point of belabouring something that is never going to go away and has been going on for decades.

And I think that if both Ferrari drivers had taken each other out at Monza and really put a nail in FA’s WDC’s hopes this year, even LdM would have understood their own team being booed, even if they are ‘always at the top.’

6. kartguy07 (@kartguy07) said on 11th September 2013, 18:06

Vettel’s only got himself to blame, the majority of the booing only started since he overtook his team-mate, who had been told they were holding station, and after issuing a grudging, barely-good-enough apology, then came out fighting and said he’d do the same again (which, to be honest, we knew anyway).

Hamilton gets booed regularly at Monza, unless he crashes, in which case the tifosi go mental with joy. Haven’t heard anyone complaining how unfair that is, although Hamilton did draw attention to it on the podium last year, saying it was a shame.

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 11th September 2013, 22:48

I agree… Vettel is a backstabber, and therefore a looser, no matter how much he wins… shame really!

• Eric (@) said on 12th September 2013, 0:44

@kartguy07

Then Webber is a blithering idiot. Stevie Wonder would have seen Vettel’s attack coming… And it’s not like Webber is one to talk now is he. He’s all about team orders until they favor the other guy. That’s hypocrisy at its ‘finest’.

Webber’s crying was just another attempt to discredit Vettel, because he knows he’s got no other legitimate way of fighting Vettel. And the ‘fans’ eat it up because they jump at any excuse to hate Vettel.

In the end that makes Webber a hypocrite, that makes those who support Webber hypocrites and it makes Vettel what he is, a multiple championship winner who will not be told to hold station when his (much) slower team mate is in front and would ignore the team just as much or more.
      It’s like Vettel said, Webber would have done the same and has never helped Vettel. So it would be nothing short of madness to expect what Webber refuses to do from Vettel.

7. Jackal said on 12th September 2013, 0:49

For the record, the tifosi are known for booing any driver that beats a Ferrari at Monza. They booed Hamilton on the podium when he won and Alonso finished second last season. Look it up on YouTube if you wish, so all of this Multi-21 ** is simply that … if you dislike Vettel that is fine. Expressing that dislike by booing is pretty low rent and completely out of order in my opinion. Webber absolutely ignored team orders and aggressively tried to pass Vettel at Silverstone in 2011 … the only difference between that GP and Malaysia this season was that Vettel succeeded in getting past and took the win, Mark did not. Bitter fans and just that and the booing says far more about the fans than it ever will about Seb.

8. Ricardo said on 12th September 2013, 12:12

How many multiple world champions were that nice? Let’s see the ones I remember. Schumacher was physically threatning, Senna was on the verge of paranoid, Prost was sly, Piquet was a slanderer and Lauda…well Lauda I don’t really remember but I’m sure we can accuse him of something. I don’t remember people being so intolerant with their wins. If all people have against Vettel is “multi-21″ that can easily go down either as self-defense or payback.

Could it be because Vettel seems pretty much like a normal bloke and that is what people dislike? That a down-to-earth guy can be this dominant?

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 12th September 2013, 21:52

Dress it up all you like, many people don’t like Vettel and no one can make them. He’s in the spotlight and if he can’t handle it, he should get out… Although he seems absolutely fine, is the rabid fans who have the problem. Long may his reign continue, but the mass expression of an opinion is as legitimate as any other comment, mass made or otherwise. Get a grip.

9. David L said on 13th September 2013, 8:34

Maybe just maybe, if ‘Herr Finger’ was a little less arrogant and ceased the habit of sticking his finger up to people, they might have some respect for him. However the image of a “spoiled brat” comes across too easily in the eyes of the majority of the worlds F1 fans.