Doubts over Alonso’s willingness to accept Raikkonen

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monza, 2013In the round-up: Would Fernando Alonso be prepared to have Kimi Raikkonen as a team mate?

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ferrari’s recruitment of Kimi Raikkonen has upset Fernando Alonso (The Guardian)

“Alonso is angry about the situation. One prominent team principal said in Monza last week: ‘Have you seen Fernando? He is very unhappy at the prospect of Kimi joining the team.'”

‘Raikkonen would destabilise Alonso’ (BBC)

Jackie Stewart: “It would be a very confusing element within that team for them to have Kimi and Alonso, who I doubt would really like to have Kimi there.”

Lotus ready with 2014 plan B (Autosport)

“Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has confirmed [Nico] Hulkenberg is on the team’s shortlist, but expects there to be competition from rival teams.”

Lewis Hamilton sees no end soon to Red Bull’s dominance of F1 (The Guardian)

“For the next four years coming, unless Renault do a poor engine, I think they’ll be quick. Adrian Newey does a really good job.”

Montezemolo?s Monza (FT, registration required)

“It would also be very good to see some of the other automotive marques return to the race, as in the past ?ǣ Japanese, American, why not?”

Ward hopes to call upon previous Mosley experience to lead FIA presidency race (Daily Mail)

“‘I am not Max [Mosley’s] man; I am not Bernie [Ecclestone’s] man,’ he said, stating that neither is bankrolling his campaign.”

Ferrari’s Massa Gets Speeding Ticket on Way to GP (ABC News)

“Massa was given a $214 speeding ticket by Italian police this weekend on his way to the Italian Grand Prix race for exceeding the speed limit in his silver-colored Ferrari 458.”

The STiGR F1 Display Preview (STiGR via YouTube)

Via WTF1

James Hunt?s American adventures (MotorSport)

“I remember James wandering the paddock wearing washed-out bell bottom jeans and an undersized pink T-shirt exposing his midriff and belly button. He was unimpressed with the Shadow. ‘I was hoping to enjoy some real horsepower,’ he grinned.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Colossal-Squid on Felipe Massa’s Ferrari departure:

I?m conflicted right now. It?s sad, because I?ve liked Massa since his crash happy Sauber days, through his brilliant first three years at Ferrari ?ǣ who could forget his two wins on home soil ?ǣ and the drama of 2008. People have forgotten that at the end of the 2008 season Massa was very highly regarded as a driver, talked of in the same breath as Hamilton and Raikkonen.

Then that crash happened and he never really has captured his ?08 form. So I?m sad that his career hasn?t panned out the way many expected, but I?m relieved that he is out of Ferrari from a pure performance standpoint, as he has been too frequently woeful in his performance since 2010. Now I?m excited for the future of Ferrari! Alonso and Raikkonen, two of the greats of this generation of drivers, together? It?ll either be the making or ruination of the Domenicali era at Ferrari.

As a Ferrari fan, after all that he?s done for the team, and despite his performance issues over the past four seasons, I say thank you Felipe.
@Colossal-Squid

Snapshot

Spark-Renault SRT_01E Formula E, 2013

This is the new Formula E racer, launched yesterday, which will appear in the all-electric series next year. McLaren and Williams are among the F1 teams who’ve contributed to the technology.

More pictures and details in the new Formula E group:

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Sweetooth and Dimitris 1395!

On this day in F1

Ronnie Peterson lost his life 35 years ago today. He succumbed to injuries sustained in a first-lap crash in the Italian Grand Prix the day before.

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

155 comments on Doubts over Alonso’s willingness to accept Raikkonen

1. With the departure of Filipe and the probable arrival of Kimi, where does that leave Rob Smedley, we have all heard how he coaches Filipe and how Kimi doesn’t like being told what to do.

• Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 11th September 2013, 2:56

Good point. Rob always said if Fillipe goes, he goes. So I guess if massa stays in F1, Smedley goes to a different team too. As a race engineer, Smedley is very high-profile, so I bet there’d be a few teams after him.
      Here’s a good question: if you had to pair Rob up with another current driver, who would it be? I’d say Perez or Grosjean.

• I think that Rob’s comment was on the assumption that Filipe was staying in F1 but another team. I don’t think that Filipe will get another F1 seat. So as Rob is AFAIK a dedicated Ferrari man I think he will stay there, it could be he is senior enough now to be considered for promotion.

• As far as drivers go, I’ve noted Nico Rosberg gets a lot of coaching as well, maybe that’d be a nice pair?

2. AlokIn (@) said on 11th September 2013, 2:30

Come Australia 2014 :

Domenicali to Kimi: Alonso is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
    Kimi: Leave me alone, I know what I am doing.

Kimi and Alonso both will tear apart.
    RIP Ferrari

• @alokin hahaha, and let’s not forget Kimi won Australia this year

• I guess one of the main points on Kimi’s contract is “no team orders, veiled or unveiled, at any time.”
      That can be the origin of the “Upset-Gate”

• AlokIn (@) said on 11th September 2013, 2:53

In this case I think this is going to repeat of 2007 for Alonso.
        It will hurt his ego. It will be interesting to see how Ferrari to going to manage both drivers.
        Make or break the situation.

• @alokin and @omarr-pepper

Kimi is no stranger to team orders, he benefited in 2007 and helped Massa at the end of 2008.. and in Lotus we have seen Grosjean being asked to let Kimi by a few times… I think the team orders are going to be inevitable in Ferrari if one of their drivers are in contention for WDC at the end of the year and Kimi will try hard to make sure that he is the guy leading on points..

• alexx_88 (@alexx_88) said on 11th September 2013, 8:16

I don’t think there is a driver out there who sees a problem with team orders at the end of the season, if his teammate is ahead on points. The main problem is how you treat the duels that happen at the beginning of the season, do you let them race hard?

From Ferrari’s point of view, I don’t think that things are too dark. Both race very tough, but incredibly fair. Given their usual starting positions (>5) and where they end up (usually podium), both Kimi and Fernando they have a surprisingly low number of incidents, so I don’t see why this situation should change. Ferrari will let them race knowing that things will most likely be ok and, when the championship contender is clear, they’ll consider him their number 1 driver for that year.

3. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 11th September 2013, 2:41

2014 is shaping up to be a most interesting season indeed. New regs with new engine packages and no clue yet which engines or chassis will have the best balance of strengths and weaknesses. Some of the more interesting driver changes than we have had in a while will make for some great inter-team match ups, especially at Ferrari. Only Alonso will have the answer to how he will react to having an equal driver racing alongside him. With Byrne, Fry, Allison, Alonso, Raikkonen, a decent chassis and a strong engine package Ferrari have an excellent chance to challenge the dominance of Red Bull. They are making the right moves for a team that wants to win the WDC and the WCC. Kimi is already one of my favorite drivers, Ferrari may have me for a fan in 2014.

The other driver match ups could be interesting too. Vettel and Ricciardo, the Sirotkin gamble and whomever he is paired with, the likely duo of Hulkenberg and Grosjean, the continued development at Merc with Hamilton and Rosberg, just to mention a few. Will Checo mature, will Maldonado have a seat (have cash, will drive, so likely yes), will someone promote Bianchi? Lots to look forward to.

• crr917 (@crr917) said on 11th September 2013, 7:46

2014 will be interesting from technical point of view. I am looking forward to seeing the new cars. I think the winter will be a really exciting period :)
      But I doubt there will be much good racing. If we look back to most recent big rule overhaul one team won 6 out of the first 7 races. Racecar engineering tweet from yesterday:

RCE on 2014 engines – rumours say – Renault sorted, McLaren lots of grunt but not reliable, Ferrari – not good, Honda – who knows

Of course it’s “Mercedes” instead of “McLaren”

4. Dj xo2 (@dj-xo2) said on 11th September 2013, 3:19

i hope kimi doesn’t go to ferrari…just cause

5. macrob said on 11th September 2013, 3:44

Massa will go to Lotus, he brings more money than Hulkenberg…

6. Someone tell Alonso to man up and stop whining. If he’s as good as he is, he wont need a no. 2 drive to aid him.

7. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 11th September 2013, 5:08

Two of the big four are ganging up to face Vettel . Now that should be interesting.

Surprisingly , my guess is that it will work . For all we know , Ferrari have gone for some refreshing change . It will push Fernando to high levels . I hope Fernando does not end up doing something sneaky to gain an advantage.

8. Abdurahman (@) said on 11th September 2013, 5:46

Thanks for the link to the Hunt motorsport article. Fantastic read. I had no idea Hunt ever dabbled in Can-Am or raced at Laguna Seca before. Can-Am 1000+ hp, at the original Laguna layout, wow!

9. mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 11th September 2013, 8:29

I’m going to go out on a limb here, and say Alonso might actually be a better boy then in 2007. I think mentally, Brazil 2012’s ‘cold stare’ may have been a changing moment. Although ‘stupid gate’ was a bit emotional, Alonso seems to have accepted he is not the one and only talented driver on the grid. If Räikkönen had been signed for Ferrar in 2012, I could see a 2007-type breakdown, but this time around, I think Alonso might play nice.

10. Robert said on 11th September 2013, 8:39

How about bringing Senna back (Bruno) to Lotus

11. Various thoughts:

2) I’m not sure, Ferrari could handle two top drivers in the team. They are not used to, and they have another problem with all those senior managers coming in and out due to (IMHO) the lack of leadership of Domenicali. Add more complexity to the situation is not going to help.

3) Alonso could be the best current driver or not, but during this four years, he has given everything to Ferrari, being 200% committed to the team in all occasions, even when he has lost championships not because his performance. Hiring Kimi, according to the traditional way of manage of Ferrari (IMHO), is like telling him “I don’t trust you enough to lead this team”. Well, I think this will carry less success to the team, not because fights between Alo-Kimi but to the fact that Alo will not be as committed as he has been up to now. I would like to be wrong. Time will tell.

4) In any case, see a good fight between ALO and RAI and for first time, using the same car, is going to be thrilling!

• 1) I’m pretty sure no one driver likes to have an strong team mate. That said it does not means Alonso (or any other top driver) cannot handle that issue. In my personal opinion, the problems Alonso had in 2007 were not related to Hamilton but to Ron Dennis.

Alonso knew that about McLaren having the Ferrari data and went to Ron Dennis demanding to be made number one driver for the rest of the season otherwise he’d go to the FIA. It was blackmail, he was prepared to cheat his way to a world championship as Ron Dennis made him number one driver. Then you had the whole illegal mass damper in 2006 and the whole saga in Singapore 2008. Trouble seems to follow this guy.

12. Lucien_Todutz (@lucien_todutz) said on 11th September 2013, 9:50

Just can’t wait, hope Kimi will sign :)

PS just imagine:

Fernando Alonso: – This is ridiculous!
    Stefano Domenicali: – Kimi, Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
    Kimi Raikkonen: I know what I’m doing!

13. Of course Alonso doesn’t like the fact that Kimi is going to be his team mate next year. During the past four seasons he has been the #1 in the team. All the new upgrates go to him, the car is built around his driving style, he has always the best possible strategy, while Massa’s strategy sometimes makes him lose places, he has a team mate who is willing to do anything to help him.
    Alonso will not have many of these advantages with Kimi and of course he is not going to be happy about it. Besides there’s the fact that Alonso wanted Massa to stay, he said so multiple times when interviewed, so he won’t like that Ferrari didn’t listen to him this time.

14. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 11th September 2013, 12:40

Does anyone find it odd that there doesn’t seem to have been an official announcement yet? Massa announced he was leaving yesterday, and normally one would expect a carefully choreographed PR announcement pretty soon after that so-andso was joining. But it’s now 1.30 CET and there’s nothing yet; I wonder if there’s anything wrong.
    I also wonder if Alonso’s critical attitude towards the team on Sunday had anything to do with his knowledge that they were going to let Massa go.

15. Jem (@osella) said on 11th September 2013, 12:59

Alonso could buy the remains of HRT and hire Felipe?

16. This just in, Alonso voices his support for ‘talented rookie’ Max Chilton to take Massa’s seat. ;)

Seriously though, would be great to have Alonso up against Raikkonen. After the disappointment of not getting to see Vettel vs Raikkonen this would be a suitable alternative in my book. Maybe even more interesting as i see them as having similar qualities as drivers.

17. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 11th September 2013, 14:09

Hey, Massa could go to Formula E next year. It would be great to see him winning the first Formula E championship :D

18. i think alonso will crush kimi next year, and im hamilton fan

19. scunnyman (@scunnyman) said on 12th September 2013, 0:18

@q85 How was Ron Dennis wrong in what he did?

And does that mean you have no problem with Blackmail?

20. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 12th September 2013, 1:04

I’m very excited about Formula E (save for the silly exchange cars rule), but even I must admit that is a woefully boxy and uninspiring car design.