Doubts over Alonso’s willingness to accept Raikkonen

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monza, 2013In the round-up: Would Fernando Alonso be prepared to have Kimi Raikkonen as a team mate?

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ferrari’s recruitment of Kimi Raikkonen has upset Fernando Alonso (The Guardian)

“Alonso is angry about the situation. One prominent team principal said in Monza last week: ‘Have you seen Fernando? He is very unhappy at the prospect of Kimi joining the team.'”

‘Raikkonen would destabilise Alonso’ (BBC)

Jackie Stewart: “It would be a very confusing element within that team for them to have Kimi and Alonso, who I doubt would really like to have Kimi there.”

Lotus ready with 2014 plan B (Autosport)

“Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has confirmed [Nico] Hulkenberg is on the team’s shortlist, but expects there to be competition from rival teams.”

Lewis Hamilton sees no end soon to Red Bull’s dominance of F1 (The Guardian)

“For the next four years coming, unless Renault do a poor engine, I think they’ll be quick. Adrian Newey does a really good job.”

Montezemolo?s Monza (FT, registration required)

“It would also be very good to see some of the other automotive marques return to the race, as in the past ?ǣ Japanese, American, why not?”

Ward hopes to call upon previous Mosley experience to lead FIA presidency race (Daily Mail)

“‘I am not Max [Mosley's] man; I am not Bernie [Ecclestone's] man,’ he said, stating that neither is bankrolling his campaign.”

Ferrari’s Massa Gets Speeding Ticket on Way to GP (ABC News)

“Massa was given a $214 speeding ticket by Italian police this weekend on his way to the Italian Grand Prix race for exceeding the speed limit in his silver-colored Ferrari 458.”

The STiGR F1 Display Preview (STiGR via YouTube)

Via WTF1

James Hunt?s American adventures (MotorSport)

“I remember James wandering the paddock wearing washed-out bell bottom jeans and an undersized pink T-shirt exposing his midriff and belly button. He was unimpressed with the Shadow. ‘I was hoping to enjoy some real horsepower,’ he grinned.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Colossal-Squid on Felipe Massa’s Ferrari departure:

I?m conflicted right now. It?s sad, because I?ve liked Massa since his crash happy Sauber days, through his brilliant first three years at Ferrari ?ǣ who could forget his two wins on home soil ?ǣ and the drama of 2008. People have forgotten that at the end of the 2008 season Massa was very highly regarded as a driver, talked of in the same breath as Hamilton and Raikkonen.

Then that crash happened and he never really has captured his ?08 form. So I?m sad that his career hasn?t panned out the way many expected, but I?m relieved that he is out of Ferrari from a pure performance standpoint, as he has been too frequently woeful in his performance since 2010. Now I?m excited for the future of Ferrari! Alonso and Raikkonen, two of the greats of this generation of drivers, together? It?ll either be the making or ruination of the Domenicali era at Ferrari.

As a Ferrari fan, after all that he?s done for the team, and despite his performance issues over the past four seasons, I say thank you Felipe.
@Colossal-Squid

Snapshot

Spark-Renault SRT_01E Formula E, 2013

This is the new Formula E racer, launched yesterday, which will appear in the all-electric series next year. McLaren and Williams are among the F1 teams who’ve contributed to the technology.

More pictures and details in the new Formula E group:

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Sweetooth and Dimitris 1395!

On this day in F1

Ronnie Peterson lost his life 35 years ago today. He succumbed to injuries sustained in a first-lap crash in the Italian Grand Prix the day before.

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

155 comments on Doubts over Alonso’s willingness to accept Raikkonen

1. Kimi4WDC said on 11th September 2013, 0:56

At times like this it’s the worst to live in Australia. You wake up on Wednesday and expect the announcement, yet you have to wait whole day for it.

2. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 11th September 2013, 1:01

I think media are running out ideas. This absolutely poor and unprofessional. Just a few weeks ago, these very same media establishments were spewing stories about Alonso’s imminent departure to Red Bull, where he would have been paired with Vettel, the undoubted prodigal son of the team. If they believed that, it suggests that Alonso was fine with being pitted against a competitive team mate…but now, they taken a full 180. I am surprised George Benson still has a job. He is one of the worst journalists I have come across, and he is nowhere close to the high standards one expects from the BBC. He needs to understand that he is a sports news writer, not fictional fantasy. He always seems to quote unamed “senior figures”, “reliable sources” and “insiders”…and it most cases, they read like fragments of his lively imagination. God I hate Benson!! The British tax payer shouldnt need to pay for drivel like that!

Enough with the Benson rant, I feel better already. Kimi joining Ferrari is great news. I dont think Alonso will have any issues, as he keeps saying, they drive for Ferrari to deliver the best possible results. There will be little or no performance difference between Kimi and Fernando, hence they will push each other hard, that can only be good for the team. We argue all we want about Fer and his so called number 1 status, the fact is, there is only one number 1 in all of Ferrari, and that is Luca Di Montezemolo. If you dont play by his rules, you’re out.

End the of the day, its all speculation. We dont know what agreements teams have with drivers. Whatever the case..cant wait for 2014…the Ferrari line up alone will produce fire works!

3. Jack (@jackisthestig) said on 11th September 2013, 1:17

What is the matter with Lewis recently? He’s so downbeat, watching an interview with him is like listening to an R.E.M record.

It’s only been two races since he won convincingly and the upcoming races should suit his car much more. As for next season, the new regs make form impossible to predict and besides, his team have recruited like mad.

Cheer up mate! Just think, you could have stayed at McLaren.

• I think Lewis is a very emotional person. I think he’s still adjusting to his new team emotionally and his saga with Nicole can’t be good for his mental health either. We all know ‘that guy’ or girl who seems to be wandering off in thoughts and being downbeat in schools or at work; it seems he is ‘that guy’ in F1.

It isn’t as bad as 2011, but considering that year, it would not surprise me if his mental state also influences his current doomsday moods.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th September 2013, 2:31

@jackisthestig him at McLaren this year would have ended with him hanging a billboard on his neck saying “AVAILABLE, ON SALE, FOR FREE, BUT GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!” :P
      And if you want to hear depressed lyrics, check out Seether

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 11th September 2013, 5:04

@jackisthestig If you out in all your effort in the race overtake upto 6 ,7 people and still end up 9th you’d be angry with yourself . Then ofcourse , the girlfriend saga . We can offer him a lot of counselling by saying this , that etc. Ultimately he is the one who knows about what that relationship was like . I know he should move on . I sincerely hope he comes back like a monster in singapore . Besides , it’s one of his favorite tracks.

Excerpt from the archives of @andae23 .

The singapore GP has only been won by three drivers : Fernando Alonso , Lewis Hamilton and Seb Vettel .

Will it continue this year ?

• phildick (@phildick) said on 11th September 2013, 8:46

watching an interview with him is like listening to an R.E.M record

I’me sure you were thinking of Shiny Happy People.

4. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 11th September 2013, 2:18

Am I the only one who thinks those 18″ wheels look horrible on the Formula E car? 15 would’ve been a more sensible choice.

• In those studio pictures they look really weird, but I think they look alright in some of the photo’s I’ve seen from the floor in Frankfurt. It’s just a matter of getting used to. I recently got slammed on YouTube for saying Grooved Tyres look silly now, comparing them to earlier 90s and recent slick tyres, but there wasn’t a good word of them when we had them.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th September 2013, 2:36

@mantresx Michelin could finally fulfill their whim. It was one of the things they wanted to install in F1, remember?

• Traverse (@) said on 11th September 2013, 5:17

The entire car looks ugly.

5. Alonso would rather go to Lotus and keep his reputation intact against Grosjean than get matched by Kimi. Kimi’s coming into Alonso’s team, it’s built completely around, he should beat Kimi in qualifying and in the races no trouble.

Alonso had a car good enough to win the championship with in 2010 and 2012. In 2012, Ferrari didn’t have the outright speed of the McLaren (which was the fastest car), but it was by far the most reliable car and was strong from Barcelona onwards. I guess Ferrari have woken up. If Vettel had been driving a Ferrari during this period he would have definitely won 2010 and likely won 2012.

6. With the departure of Filipe and the probable arrival of Kimi, where does that leave Rob Smedley, we have all heard how he coaches Filipe and how Kimi doesn’t like being told what to do.

• Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 11th September 2013, 2:56

Good point. Rob always said if Fillipe goes, he goes. So I guess if massa stays in F1, Smedley goes to a different team too. As a race engineer, Smedley is very high-profile, so I bet there’d be a few teams after him.
      Here’s a good question: if you had to pair Rob up with another current driver, who would it be? I’d say Perez or Grosjean.

• I think that Rob’s comment was on the assumption that Filipe was staying in F1 but another team. I don’t think that Filipe will get another F1 seat. So as Rob is AFAIK a dedicated Ferrari man I think he will stay there, it could be he is senior enough now to be considered for promotion.

• As far as drivers go, I’ve noted Nico Rosberg gets a lot of coaching as well, maybe that’d be a nice pair?

7. AlokIn (@) said on 11th September 2013, 2:30

Come Australia 2014 :

Domenicali to Kimi: Alonso is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
    Kimi: Leave me alone, I know what I am doing.

Kimi and Alonso both will tear apart.
    RIP Ferrari

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th September 2013, 2:32

@alokin hahaha, and let’s not forget Kimi won Australia this year

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th September 2013, 2:34

I guess one of the main points on Kimi’s contract is “no team orders, veiled or unveiled, at any time.”
      That can be the origin of the “Upset-Gate”

• AlokIn (@) said on 11th September 2013, 2:53

In this case I think this is going to repeat of 2007 for Alonso.
        It will hurt his ego. It will be interesting to see how Ferrari to going to manage both drivers.
        Make or break the situation.

• @alokin and @omarr-pepper

Kimi is no stranger to team orders, he benefited in 2007 and helped Massa at the end of 2008.. and in Lotus we have seen Grosjean being asked to let Kimi by a few times… I think the team orders are going to be inevitable in Ferrari if one of their drivers are in contention for WDC at the end of the year and Kimi will try hard to make sure that he is the guy leading on points..

• alexx_88 (@alexx_88) said on 11th September 2013, 8:16

I don’t think there is a driver out there who sees a problem with team orders at the end of the season, if his teammate is ahead on points. The main problem is how you treat the duels that happen at the beginning of the season, do you let them race hard?

From Ferrari’s point of view, I don’t think that things are too dark. Both race very tough, but incredibly fair. Given their usual starting positions (>5) and where they end up (usually podium), both Kimi and Fernando they have a surprisingly low number of incidents, so I don’t see why this situation should change. Ferrari will let them race knowing that things will most likely be ok and, when the championship contender is clear, they’ll consider him their number 1 driver for that year.

8. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 11th September 2013, 2:41

2014 is shaping up to be a most interesting season indeed. New regs with new engine packages and no clue yet which engines or chassis will have the best balance of strengths and weaknesses. Some of the more interesting driver changes than we have had in a while will make for some great inter-team match ups, especially at Ferrari. Only Alonso will have the answer to how he will react to having an equal driver racing alongside him. With Byrne, Fry, Allison, Alonso, Raikkonen, a decent chassis and a strong engine package Ferrari have an excellent chance to challenge the dominance of Red Bull. They are making the right moves for a team that wants to win the WDC and the WCC. Kimi is already one of my favorite drivers, Ferrari may have me for a fan in 2014.

The other driver match ups could be interesting too. Vettel and Ricciardo, the Sirotkin gamble and whomever he is paired with, the likely duo of Hulkenberg and Grosjean, the continued development at Merc with Hamilton and Rosberg, just to mention a few. Will Checo mature, will Maldonado have a seat (have cash, will drive, so likely yes), will someone promote Bianchi? Lots to look forward to.

• crr917 (@crr917) said on 11th September 2013, 7:46

2014 will be interesting from technical point of view. I am looking forward to seeing the new cars. I think the winter will be a really exciting period :)
      But I doubt there will be much good racing. If we look back to most recent big rule overhaul one team won 6 out of the first 7 races. Racecar engineering tweet from yesterday:

RCE on 2014 engines – rumours say – Renault sorted, McLaren lots of grunt but not reliable, Ferrari – not good, Honda – who knows

Of course it’s “Mercedes” instead of “McLaren”

9. Dj xo2 (@dj-xo2) said on 11th September 2013, 3:19

i hope kimi doesn’t go to ferrari…just cause

10. macrob said on 11th September 2013, 3:44

Massa will go to Lotus, he brings more money than Hulkenberg…

11. Someone tell Alonso to man up and stop whining. If he’s as good as he is, he wont need a no. 2 drive to aid him.

12. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 11th September 2013, 5:08

Two of the big four are ganging up to face Vettel . Now that should be interesting.

Surprisingly , my guess is that it will work . For all we know , Ferrari have gone for some refreshing change . It will push Fernando to high levels . I hope Fernando does not end up doing something sneaky to gain an advantage.

13. Abdurahman (@) said on 11th September 2013, 5:46

Thanks for the link to the Hunt motorsport article. Fantastic read. I had no idea Hunt ever dabbled in Can-Am or raced at Laguna Seca before. Can-Am 1000+ hp, at the original Laguna layout, wow!

14. mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 11th September 2013, 8:29

I’m going to go out on a limb here, and say Alonso might actually be a better boy then in 2007. I think mentally, Brazil 2012’s ‘cold stare’ may have been a changing moment. Although ‘stupid gate’ was a bit emotional, Alonso seems to have accepted he is not the one and only talented driver on the grid. If Räikkönen had been signed for Ferrar in 2012, I could see a 2007-type breakdown, but this time around, I think Alonso might play nice.

15. Robert said on 11th September 2013, 8:39