Ferrari officially announce Raikkonen to rejoin team in 2014

2014 F1 season

Kimi Raikkonen, GP3, Circuit de Catalunya, 2013Kimi Raikkonen will return to Ferrari next season, five years after he was dropped by the team.

Ferrari confirmed the news on Wednesday, the day after Felipe Massa announced his eight-year tenure at at the team was coming to an end.
Raikkonen has signed a two-year deal to drive for the team who he last raced for between 2007 and 2009. A statement from from Ferrari confirmed he will “join Fernando Alonso in the driver line-up for the next two racing seasons”.

“I am really happy to be returning to Maranello where I previously spent three fantastic and very successful years,” said Raikkonen. “I have so many memories of my time at Ferrari, memories which have stayed with me these past years, first and foremost, winning the world championship title in 2007, which was really unforgettable.”

“I can’t wait to be driving a prancing horse car again and to reacquaint myself with so many people with whom I had such close links, as well as working with Fernando, whom I consider a great driver, in order to bring the team the success it deserves.”

Ferrari scored their last championship success with the Raikkonen-Massa partnership in 2008 and Raikkonen is the team’s most recent drivers’ champion. He will partner Fernando Alonso, the driver who replaced him in 2010.

Raikkonen and Alonso were championship rivals in 2005 while racing for McLaren and Renault respectively. They won seven races each that year but Alonso won the title with two rounds to spare.
It brings an end Raikkonen’s association with Lotus, with which he returned to Formula One last year following a two-year absence from the sport in the wake of his departure from Ferrari.
Alonso said: “I’d like to welcome my new travelling companion: together, starting next year, we will have to tackle a very demanding technical and racing challenge.”

“I want to thank Felipe for all the support he has given me and the team during this journey we have made together over all these years,” he added.

“Come the end of the season, it will not be easy to say goodbye to a team-mate like him. He has always been truly professional and loyal to the team and I am sure that right to the end, he will do his utmost for the Scuderia that he loves so much.”

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali added: “I am pleased to welcome Kimi back to the Scuderia, the team with which he won his world championship title.”

“I sense he is very happy to be returning to Maranello and very determined to tackle the work that awaits him in the best way possible.”

Domenicali also added his thanks to Massa for his eight years of service as one of the team’s racing drivers: “I wish to thank Felipe with all my heart and also on behalf of all our fans around the world, for the extraordinary job he has done for the team over so many years.”

“Felipe has always behaved like a real team player. Together we have lived through some great times and also a few dramatic moments, which have helped to cement a truly unique relationship on both a professional and personal level.”

“He will always be part of our family and we wish him all the very best for the future. Now we must concentrate all our efforts on the remaining seven races of the season and we know that, as always, we can count on Felipe’s contribution, while we work together to reach our goals. Our determination will not waver one iota right to the very end.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © GP3/LAT

206 comments on Ferrari officially announce Raikkonen to rejoin team in 2014

1. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th September 2013, 13:16

Good news for F1. Ferrari needed a departure from its traditional values. Shame for Hulkenberg though…

2. Egg on the face situation for Ferrari no matter what they announced.

By signing Kimi they are effectively admitting they let the wrong driver go in 2010. If they signed Hulkenberg they would be admitting that Alonso has enough sway to dictate his teammate.

Pro: End of “who is going to Ferrari?” speculation.
    Con: Hulkenberg deserves the drive.

Massive con: DiResta’s PR team will get hours of plugs about “missing out” on a top drive he was never in the running for anyway.

• Dion (@infinitygc) said on 11th September 2013, 13:28

Is it weird I read “BBC F1 Coverage” instead of “DiResta’s PR team”? Also, thanks for the small chuckle!

• I’d rather see Hulk drive at Lotus and show us nice and surprising podiums, than having him come second to Fernando at all places.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 11th September 2013, 14:06

: DiResta’s PR team will get hours of plugs about “missing out” on a top drive

:O

• they are effectively admitting they let the wrong driver go in 2010

Letting Massa go the season after his accident would not have been the right thing to do. I think this move by Ferrari means nothing of the sort.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 11th September 2013, 15:02

Why? Plenty of other sports teams let go of their athletes if they had a major injury and return to do poorly… But it wasn’t the season after the injury, it would have been the same season, right? So in essence, he should have been released in summer/fall of 2010.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 11th September 2013, 16:54

He scored 5 podiums and ~60% the points of Alonso in 2010. Not poor, by any means.

• @raceprouk – I agree, not horrible stats. And given what had happened it is understandable that Ferrari wanted to keep him. By any measure, could have been 2008 WDC (I get that he wasn’t, just saying that he drove well enough to be there), injured in 2009, not a horrible 2010. but since then it’s been bad.

For the 2010-2012 seasons, looking at the top three teams (FER, RBR, MCL) the cumulative stats for the drivers are:

MAS scored 49% of ALO pts total and 21% of the podiums.
            WEB scored 73% of VET pts total and 65% of the podiums.
            HAM scored 98% of BUT pts total and 88% of the podiums.

VET was certainly the standout with 929 pts and 37 podiums but of the other 4 non-MAS drivers, HAM had 657 pts and 22 podiums. MAS had 384 and 7. That is only 58% of HAM pts and 32% of his podiums. I realize this is a lot of numbers but comparing MAS, the sixth driver in this group of six, to the fifth driver HAM, MAS is still the worst in comparison.

I don’t hate Massa, by any means. (I hate that he seems to have started the “for sure” plague that has spread across F1 interviews like wildfire, but that’s neither here nor there.) I have liked him and pulled for him; and I feel a bit bad for him now. But it’s past time for him to go.

• Ferrari paid Kimi not to drive for a year, and his contract was up the following year. Massa, from a recovery point of view, would have been much better off with another 6 months out at least.

It would have made more sense to keep Massa as third driver, leave Kimi driving in 2010, and wait to see what was the best option for 2011.

However that assumes that Alonso hadn’t vetoed keeping Kimi, and that politically Kimi was a viable contender within the team. Team politics clearly trumped logic that time.

3. Julien (@jlracing) said on 11th September 2013, 13:16

Very good news!
    I think Kimi wanted to go to Ferrari because the weather in Italy is much better then in England

4. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th September 2013, 13:17

Terrific news, glad it’s finally confirmed.

Best Ferrari driver line-up since 1990!

• Easily, even though I can’t get the idea out of my head we could have had this line-up since 2010.. This announcement has only re-awakened my confusion about sending Kimi on paid leave for 2010 while retaining Massa..

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 11th September 2013, 14:06

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :D :D :D :D :D

• kimrogue (@kimrogue) said on 11th September 2013, 16:13

Well said. Kudos to Ferrari for finally going ahead a doing it. I’m sure they have gone up a notch (if not several) in every F1 fans book. Now we all know that this is an explosive pairing and potentially the best in the paddock. But the question is, will it back fire on their faces? One thing’s guaranteed though: Absolute entertainment for the fans.
      2005, 2007 re-match – but this time in the same car – 20014, bring it on!

5. I’m glad to see Raikkonen in a better car and he’s one of my favorite drivers, so joining one of my favorite teams is good news.

I do hope this ends all the social media hype around Raikkonen, though. Very much tired of the ‘Leave me alone’ jokes, since it was utterly rude of Kimi. I doubt Ferrari will cash in on comments like that, as there are no ‘you are all idiots’ shirts being printed in Italy right now. It’s strange having my favorite 2 drivers at my favorite team, yet the three of them being of questionable decency the last couple of years..

I’ll still be smiling like a kid come the first 2014 team pictures, though.

6. It’s good to see Kimi in red. Epic race for 2014. Koba for Lotus!

7. SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 11th September 2013, 13:28

Ah.. My prediction collapsed. But a lethal pair of drivers in the Scuderia. Forza Ferrari for breaking the no-two-roosters-in-hen-house jinx. Now I really hope Nico Hulkenberg stays in F1 next year let alone finding a top seat.

• smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 11th September 2013, 14:33

i read some where that eric boullier said there plan B is to give hulk the drive if kimi finally leave lotus.Pretty sure that we will get that confirmation soon,BTW hulk is the best amongst the rest of midfield drivers ,really wondering will massa get the drive for next year or its curtains for him

8. Wow- there we go! I was hoping The Hulk would get the seat but equally happy to see (hopefully) a Fernando V Kimi challenge in 2014! There are talks on an Alonso shift to Lotus if this were to happen, but I really cant see it. While Alonso is quite happy to have Phillipe have his back and take some points for the team and may not want a real equal at #1 (which Kimi will be……….. on paper) if he were to now shoot off to Lotus and get the protection of the #1 status he would loose so much credibility!!

I am not saying he is stoked to have Kimi there but Alonso is a guy that oozes talent & confidence and will just take it on board and set about beeting his new team-mate. His new team-mate, however, is not a shy lad sitting in the corner is he, and expects to beat Fernando…………….. I am REALLY looking forward to this one!!!!

I would have loved to see Kimi against Seb BUT my loyalty to my country meant only Dan could take that spot!!

The Hulk must now take Kimi’s spot at Lotus I hope! Not sure where that leaves Massa though. I have a heap of respect for Phillipe and to be honest would prefer to see him go elsewhere (like Webber) rather than drive around at a lesser team like Heike did- maybe to Sauber to replace the Hulk, but they need to put a faster package on the track than this year.

As for Ferrari “back-tracking” on Kimi I disagree with that. There may be history there but it was a long time ago and the team (any team) needs to look at their best options each year.

Has anyone thought Kimi HAS changed his difficult ways (at least a bit) and will be a better fit now compared to back then?? I think he has. Time will tell- but this is good news for F1 fans :)

9. mourya (@ayrtons6094) said on 11th September 2013, 13:32

Happy :)

10. Oh no. What a let down. Ferrari does not deserve to have a driver as magnificient as Kimi. Of course I’ll continue to support Kimi even if he’s driving for Ferrari (as I did in 2007-09 seasons), but when it comes to constructor’s championship I’m all for Lotus (and to some extent, McLaren).

I hope Ferrari will give equal treatment to their drivers. But knowing Ferrari, I highly, highly doubt that’s gonna happen.

• zippyone (@zippyone) said on 11th September 2013, 14:09

@huhhii Kimi would not have gone back if it were not on equal terms, he wants another title, where do you seriously think he has the best chance of getting that title – Lotus or Ferrari?

• @zippyone I guess you’re right. What I wrote above was emotional perspective, but when thinking with common sense I guess you’re right. Probably equal terms are being promised to him in his contract.

Lotus has seemed to be like a sinking ship with their constant financial problems, plus James Allison already made a move from Lotus to Ferrari. I believe that affected Kimi’s team decision quite a lot.

• Monosodico (@monosodico) said on 11th September 2013, 14:34

and what do you think is going to happen if Kimi wins it and the “leader” Alonso don’t?
        what is it going to happen when he hear in his radio “Fernando Kimi is faster than you” will he move aside?
        Will Kimi move? Will Kimi play the “slingshot” for Alonso?

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th September 2013, 14:13

@huhhii

You probably know them better than Raikkonen

• @tifoso1989 I never said that. That’s just the impression I have from Ferrari after following the sport nearly 15 years.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th September 2013, 15:00

@huhhii
          If you have taken my comment as disrespect for your F1 knowledge then i apologize to you, I know that n° driver policy at Ferrari & team orders were part from Ferrari’s history since the late 50′s i read once that they used them with Mike Hawthorn in 1958
          My point was that if Kimi who has been always very demanding would never agree to return to Ferrari if he doesn’t have all the necessary guaranties of an equal treatment with Fernando (engineers, equipment …..), he has already brought his race engineer with him

• @tifoso1989 I didn’t find your comment to be disrespectful in any way. No hard feelings :-)

As I said above my first comment was more like emotional (never been Ferrari-fan as you probably know by now, and the news totally shocked me). Thinking with common sense Ferrari will probably let them race, otherwise Kimi wouldn’t have signed that contract with Ferrari.

• kimrogue (@kimrogue) said on 11th September 2013, 16:17

@tifoso1989 I didn’t come across that piece of news. Any links on Mark Slade’s move? Thanks

11. Cornflakes (@cornflakes) said on 11th September 2013, 13:37

I hope that now Massa knows his future at Ferrari that he can get at least another podium or, even better, another win. Without the constant pressure and doubts over his abilities he might have a long-awaited upturn in form. I think it’s something everyone would like to see and would be a fitting way to end his Ferrari career.

12. It would be ironic if having such as strong driver lineup helped Ferrari win the constructor’s title but not the driver’s title. I can see that as a possibility, it just sounds counter-intuitive ;)

• David (@neiana) said on 11th September 2013, 17:34

Not really.. Consider this: Alonso, Kimi, Vettel and Hamilton are essentially the top 4. Not necessarily in that order. People will disagree about the order all the time…

However if you have a single driver who wins the majority of the races while his team mate lingers back in 5th or 6th, you’re not going to have a constructor’s title (RBR)
      But if you have two top drivers who will constantly battle for 2-4th (FER), while that other driver for that other team winning (RBR), you’re not going to win the driver’s championship.

It’s not ironic, it’s rather logical.

13. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th September 2013, 13:43

It was unbelievable to think when the “silly season” has started that Kimi will drive for Ferrari, not a chance not in a million year especially when it was almost certain that Raikkonen will move to Red Bull but like the great Murray Walker says “In F1 anything can happen and it usually does” !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don’t know if we will still call it “Silly Season”

14. Cornflakes (@cornflakes) said on 11th September 2013, 13:44

Whoever runs Lotus’ Twitter has an interesting and brave sense of humour. From a personal account it might be funny but from the official account isn’t it a bit unprofessional?

So #Kimi is off to #Ferrari for 2014; it hurts a little bit… #F1 #Raikkonen pic.twitter.com/HkFhWvqpTo— Lotus F1 Team (@Lotus_F1Team) September 11, 2013

• He didn’t screw them as they imply with that tweet (which I found really funny by the way, thanks for sharing it), they have no one to blame but themselves. It’s a sport and a business and Raikkonen has been lured away by a team that can offer him better sporting possibilities and a better business package. End of.

• Honestly, I hope that guy is the next one to leave Lotus and finds a home in the US. It seems something Indycar or NASCAR teams would relish in (not in a negative sense, either), but for F1 it’s just a tad.. childish?

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th September 2013, 14:07

@cornflakes
      This just shows how low is the Level of Eric Boullier, since Kimi’s come back he never stopped clashing Ferrari even Kimi himself said that he has nothing against his former team but Boullier was insisting that Kimi is now free he is not doing what he hates, we don’t have politics we have equal treatment blablabla……
      I just want to see him now with the look of a “moaning child” on his face

• GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 11th September 2013, 14:22

I think it’s definitely inappropriate, a bit petulant and is a bit desperate.

He had a 2 year contract, he has left at the end of that, how are they being screwed? It’s their own fault.

• I don’t get it. Does it mean he screwed them over? Or something about leaving quickly?

• That was a rather tasteless tweet to say the least..

15. Let battle commence!