Raikkonen sees no cause for friction with Alonso

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen, Sebastian Vettel, Melbourne, 2013Kimi Raikkonen expects no problems with his new Ferrari team mate Fernando Alonso next year.

It will be the first time in 60 years Ferrari has had two world champions driving for the team.

“I never see the reason why it wouldn’t work,” said Raikkonen during the Singapore Grand Prix press conference. “We are all old enough to know what we are doing and the team is for sure working for the right things to make sure.”

“If there is something I’m sure we can talk it through and it’s not like we are 20 years old guys any more. I might be wrong but the time will tell but I’m pretty sure all things will be good. For sure there will be hard fights on the race circuits but sometimes things go wrong – like I said, I’m pretty sure we’ll be OK.”

Raikkonen said he had no qualms about returning to the team which dropped him at the end of 2009. “I never had a bad feeling with them, really,” he said.

“Obviously things could have gone in the end slightly different but I still have a lot of friends and a good memories from there.”

“I know the team, I know the people, obviously there’s some new people and some more has left since I was there but most of all I think it’s the same,” he added.

“I don’t think it will be too difficult to go there and do well. The car will be obviously different so I think that’s the most difficult thing to get the cars right and get them reliable and whoever makes the best car will probably make the best out of it.”

Asked whether he would be satisfied with the level of personal freedom he will enjoy at the world’s most famous racing team, Raikkonen said: “I always had a freedom there also.”

He claimed stories about him being unhappy with his personal arrangements at the team when he last drove for them were inaccurate: “There’s a lot of stories from my past from different teams but it’s all from you guys and I don’t think that you guys work in the teams so you don’t really know what’s happening and can write a lot of stuff, it can be sometimes true, sometimes not.”

“I had a good time like I said and I am sure we will have a good time together again.”

Raikkonen also admitted the possibility for him to stay at Lotus had been there but “there was a lot of things” they needed to do to retain him.

“For sure they know what it is and it’s hard to say which way it would have gone if that would have happened. But the deal’s done now so I’m very happy with the new deal.”

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

71 comments on Raikkonen sees no cause for friction with Alonso

1. Kanman1 said on 19th September 2013, 13:40

having a teammate that couldn’t care much apart from driving is really a big plus.

Alonso can still lead the team and make decision on car development path, something that Kimi doesn’t really care.

2. I understand that the biggest thing Lotus would have had to do to keep him, was pay his salary + bonuses and give guarantees that there will be money for next years.

Its going to be a nice side story to see how Alonso goes about pressing his will on the team for next year!

3. How many drivers have been with Ferrari in two separate stints?

4. #Whereisthemoney would be a very apt hashtag for Lotus to use this weekend.

5. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 19th September 2013, 14:54

The article in short ” I know what I am doing ” . I hope Alonso can show maturity this time around when compared to his previous stints with other teammates in case Kimi does manage to beat him. Personally I’d like Kimi to win more often before he calls it a day .

6. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 19th September 2013, 14:56

I can’t stand this assumption that there is going to be fireworks at Ferrari next year. It is based entirely on the situation at McLaren in 2007, and on the clear #1, #2 driver structure at Ferrari in years gone by, two things that are completely irrelevant.

Is Alonso the same driver that he was in 2007? No. In 2007, he had just come off the back of beating the might Ferrari and Schumacher to the title, and was the undisputed finest driver in the paddock, but was beaten by a rookie. In 2013, he’s the underdog, the chaser, a master on the track, and the master of the politics off of it. And is Raikkonen anything like Hamilton? No. He’s insular, anti-social and most importantly, he’s apolitical. That’s fine by Alonso. Kimi is not the kind of guy to enter a team and mix it up. Frankly, despite his alternative nature, Kimi doesn’t sustain conversation long enough to annoy anyone.

So if you judge the scenario based on media headline and questions being shot at Raikkonen during the press conference, the Alonso-Raikkonen is, in the eyes of the world potentially explosive, nee foolhardy, whereas the Vettel-Raikkonen proposition was highly feasible. Why is that? 2007 again? Why does the world think Alonso won’t be able to handle a competitive teammate whilst Vettel can? And doesn’t Red Bull’s selection of Ricciardo over Raikkonen protest against that?

In terms of the team structure at Ferrari over the past years, I think it is simply the way Ferrari run their team. Every year since the Berger-Alesi days, with the possible exception of 2008/9, there has been an overt #1 and #2 within the team, and even when Ferrari were fielding Prost and Mansell, two “big guns”, Prost was the undisputed #1. The way Alonso almost passively gained momentum over Massa in 2010 brought that structure into play again. And Germany 2010? Only an individual void of logic could look at the final points standings and conclude anything other than it was one of the most easily justifiable team orders in the sport’s history. Alonso didn’t gain #1 status because he demanded it, he gained it because quite frankly, he deserved it.

At no point will it ever be written in official documents at Mercedes, but if Hamilton maintains his current momentum over Rosberg an invisible and unofficial #1 status will be draped over his shoulders, and I genuinely believe that was the case with Alonso and Massa. Alonso knows that arguably for the first time since 1995 it will be even-stevens at Ferrari in 2014, and that he’ll have to regain his status over Raikkonen, but do you not think that he is relishing the chance to prove the doubters that have enveloped his 2013 campaign wrong?

Alonso has no need to fear, which is probably why he isn’t the slightest bit worried. What’s more important is the fact that with the advantage Ferrari have in terms of engine-chassis integration and a very talented new technical team, and therefore Alonso has a very real chance of taking his third title in 2014 if he can maximize the opportunity.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 19th September 2013, 21:59

@william-brierty

Even with his team mate’s help Alonso still failed to win the title. Ferrari might as well have let Massa kept his victory and his dignity.

And if Alonso had won the title by six points or fewer, the sport would have had a tainted champion who only took the title because he had a subservient team mate. I’m very glad it was spared that.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 19th September 2013, 22:12

@keithcollantine In 1964, Ferrari’s Lorenzo Bandini hit Graham Hill at the hairpin during the final round in Mexico – most likely at Ferrari’s request. As such, his teammate John Surtees went on to secure the World Championship that race.

My point is that no one remembers 1964 as the year a guy won by dubious team orders, but as the year a former motorcyclist champion managed to win the F1 championship too. The circumstances don’t matter to the vast majority; what counts is the name in the World Champions’ chronology.

Doesn’t mean I don’t agree with your final sentence though…

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 20th September 2013, 0:26

@keithcollantine

I strongly doubt that you would have said the same thing with Lewis Hamilton in 2008, Hamilton won that WDC by one point and in Germany 2008 there were definitely team orders given to Kovalainen to give position to Lewis Hamilton

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 20th September 2013, 6:51

There is a big difference between Massa being ordered to give up a race he was leading to Alonso and Kovalainen making way for Hamilton when running in 4th, and then seeing Hamilton gain another couple of places to win it @tifoso1989, especially because they were on different strategies. The same was probably true for Kubica vs. Heidfeld in Canada that year.

In the first case its clearly a result being pampered with. In the second case its to give Hamilton as much chance to win it as possible given the late stage of the race and his strategy.

• But Raikonen won his championship with massa moving over in Brasil…..

• Breno (@austus) said on 21st September 2013, 0:36

Hindisght is great, isnt it?

7. Jason (@jason12) said on 19th September 2013, 15:12

Wow……

8. David-A (@david-a) said on 19th September 2013, 15:30

Ice usually has a low level of friction.

9. Kimi and Fernando: a song of ice and fire :)))

10. Shreyas Mohanty (@) said on 19th September 2013, 16:04

Exactly.

11. I guess (and hope) that both driver will start as #1. Like Ferrari has underlined it several times: The driver is supposed to drive for Ferrari in the first place. If during the season one of the driver will then fall behind he will have to help his teammate. And that could be Räikkönen or Alonso.

12. pking008 (@pking008) said on 20th September 2013, 1:45

I can’t wait to hear the classic quote from Kimi… “Yea yea yea, I know what I’m doing”. Now, effing leave me alone, lol