Lauda adds to criticism of Vettel booing

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Singapore, 2013Niki Lauda has joined the criticism of the booing targeted at Sebastian Vettel following his recent race victories.

Some booing was directed at Vettel following his victory at Singapore today, though not as loudly as in Italy two weeks ago.

Lauda, a non-executive chairman of Red Bull’s rivals Mercedes, said the booing was “ridiculous”.

“These people don’t understand what the guy is doing,” said Lauda. “I honestly take my hat off at his performance because the guy was leading the race from the first lap on, out-drove everybody, he could have lapped everybody.”

“And if I could choose I would give him the world championship today for this drive because he is for me outstanding.”

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has also criticised the booing, as has Vettel’s team mate Mark Webber.

Vettel said he took the booing as “a compliment, that’s the way I take it, because they are jealous because we win in front of whoever they support”.

“I think it’s not worth thinking about it that much, in the end,” he added. “We love winning and we achieved that today, we can be very proud of that.”

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty

267 comments on Lauda adds to criticism of Vettel booing

1 2 3 4
  1. celeste (@celeste) said on 22nd September 2013, 17:14

*I love you Niki* and kudos to Mercedes for tweeting congratulations to RBR. People who boo and people who defend the booing have no place in any sport not only in F1

• Could not agree more

• Eric (@) said on 22nd September 2013, 17:55

And +1 to Lauda as well.

• mateuss (@mateuss) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:11

“People who boo and people who defend the booing have no place in any sport not only in F1″
      Or any field of life in a perfect world.

However, as I have always maintained: animals are not intelligent, and humans are not to be excluded from that category.

• Javier (@f1karting) said on 23rd September 2013, 3:25

It is clear that there are 2 outstanding drivers today: Vettel and Alonso. If they were given exactly the same car, I think we would have seen the battle of the century.

However, Vettel does have the advantage of a better car / team. If this is the case, why is it that he is not enjoying his super hero status?

If he was driving a Ferrari, he would certainly get the same response from the public a Schummi did just because the prancing horse has the biggest fan crowd in the world.

Given the fact he is not, I think that Red Bull has certainly missed the opportunity to become a Team that many fans would love. You can certainly be the best, but like everybody has said here, there are emotions involved.
      Yes, Red Bull has built one of the best racing teams ever, and they work their butts for it. What I think is missing is a lot of PR work to make the world love the team and Vettel.

Presidents, rock stars, football stars, and F1 drivers too, need PR counseling to make sure they are not only seen as the best option, but “perceived” as guiding stars.
      If you were a kid that grew up with Vettel and Red Bull winning streak, you would easily start to buy posters and become a fan, but you would expect the rest of the world to cheer him not to boo him. There is something wrong with the picture, but this is a fact.

Vettel and Red Bull have won championships but not the heart of the fans. This clearly has been a lost for them. Win the race in the tarmac and the hearts and souls in the interviews and TV shows. It is part of their duty, and I believe that both Vettel and Horner, should work with a PR organization, or switch to another, to capitalize on this huge opportunity to become a team that wins races and hearts.

• troutcor said on 23rd September 2013, 4:09

“Vettel and Red Bull have won championships but not the heart of the fans.”
        Well-said.
        Sadly, it seems hard for Germans to display charisma or spontaneity. Micheal was likable, but largely because he was so coldly calculating on the track and so goofy off of it.
        Germans don’t do popular. I mean think of it: What German pop act is popular? Kraftwerk?
        Horner seems a likable guy and at least you can love to hate Newey. But how many times can you listen to Vettel say “Yes, Baby! That’s what I’m talking about!” ????
        But when you get right down to it, the problem is Red Bull. It’s a sugar water scam, for crying out loud, not a marque. Who can cheer for a fizzy drink?

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 24th September 2013, 3:43

You can cheer for Infinity if that makes you feel better. They are not much different from Lotus that only have the name of the original Lotus team and are sponsored by Burn which is another energy drink and Mercedes are sponsored by Monster, another energy drink.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 23rd September 2013, 4:50

@f1karting I´m sorry last time I checked I turned in a race to see good drives and that´s what Vettel and Red Bull did.

Nobody is asking anyone to love and kiss the floor that Vettel walks in, but as a “sport fan” to apreciete how difficult is to do what ot RBR and Vettel is doing.

PR has nothing to do with this. Fans complaint that the sport “is to much image and pr” so why force Vettel or any driver for that matter in to a mold.

All this is a silly excuse to said Vettel deserve the booes

• Javier (@f1karting) said on 23rd September 2013, 6:59

F1 racing is not only a sport. Is a professional sport. That means there are investments and they should pursue economic returns beyond the honor and glory. I don’t think there is an owner of ANY professional team that would not cherish to get the biggest fan crowd they could, unless we should discuss common sense.

It is obvious that RB has done everything they had to do as a winning team, but they have failed to win more supporters. More support means higher revenue when they sell the brand and more companies willing to sponsor your team.

Please tell me when was the last time another driver was booed? It’s different not to cheer if your team didn’t win. So, someone has to rethink what is going wrong with RB and SV.

Yes, when your business is watched by hundreds of millions, and is also about fan base building, you have to work both in the track and off the track. Ask Messi and Maradona, Hans Solo or Darth Vader? RB though they had Knight Vettel and they end up with Darth Vettel instead?

• JCost (@jcost) said on 23rd September 2013, 7:14

I think Red Bull and Vettel enjoy some popularity, at least I see lots of Red Bull shirts and flags among fans at every venue, not as much as Ferrari or McLaren but more than Williams…

I know booing is wrong but pretend that we do not know why they boo Seb is as ridiculous as booing.

Seb is dominating driving a car dubbed as superior by many and his form is taking battles for P1 away from fans, add a bit of pure hating (derived from ones success) you will see why the boos happen.

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 23rd September 2013, 10:41

@f1karting
        Very well said Sir! I feel the same way. They might be winning or dominating but not everybody loves them and that means their championships mean squat.
        And with regards to Vettel, even if he moved to Ferrari, he still wouldn´t be loved. There is something about him that just uts off a lt of people including me.
        That´s just how it goes…

• Are you so quick to condem everybody who doesn’t share your same views and beliefs? This booing gate is trivial at best, and it’s really a non-issue.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 23rd September 2013, 7:01

I think it’s good that people speak out against it but at the same time you have to consider that it’s the same people booing that came up with a theory that he can’t overtake because he wins races from the front. They also keep saying it’s all to Newey and that he still needs to proof something, while they ignore his performances in the Torro Rosso or the BMW.
      It’s the same people who come up with a conspiracy that RBR is sabotaging Mark’s car because it can’t be that Vettel beats him so decisively or that they fake problems during the end of a race for PR reasons. etc etc.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd September 2013, 9:03

@celeste

Kudos to Mercedes for tweeting congratulations to RBR.

Hear, hear. An education in sportsmanship for those beneath the podium who needed it.

• People need to stop blaming ferrari fans of booing thats their job you support and cheer for your team/driver, and you boo and make uncomfortable for anyone else..+ you have +32 sec advantage and still you say it was a hard race ********…

2. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 22nd September 2013, 17:16

Looks like the boo, if it has any effect on him, is just making him stronger. Was it Grand Chelem today? (pole, fastest lap and led every lap)

3. I don’t buy when people say “it’s common in football to hear supoorters boo other teams”. Yeah, in football. They also punch each other (and kill others too in cases)…

• I don’t like the booing either but find all this critics are going a bit too far. People have the right to express themselves after spending a fortune to view a show that due to the ability of a team/ driver gets boring in many ocassions. Fair? Probably not and that’s it.
      Btw. Go and watch a Madrid-Barça and you will hear thousands screaming simultaneously about Messi’s mum or a French Open final to see how the french crowd treats Nadal.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 23rd September 2013, 1:34

@chemakal people love the underdog winning, but you got to respect if the usual guy storms with the win.

Also, why spending a fortune for a ticket is a reason to boo? a boring race is a possibility. And in this era, it’s a strong one. Same in the early part of last decade. You didn’t hear people booing Ferrari and Schumacher over yet another win…

If people think that buying an expensive ticket means having the best race they can get, well, sorry, but you better spend your money differently.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 23rd September 2013, 7:27

@chemakal

I hate the ‘motto’ “F1 is not football” because it sounds arrogant. But I gotta admit, apart from racist attacks against Hamilton, I don’t recall anything close to ‘el clasico’ Barça vs Madrid in Barcelona in the days Figo was playing for Madrid. Barça fans threw everything to the pitch, from lighters to pig heads!

My theory is: some people consider Seb’s “3.5” WDC are undeserving and seeing him winning generates even more hate, the way they find to show their feelings is booing, it’s a shame because the winner should be applauded.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 23rd September 2013, 7:57

@jcost
          I certainly have no problem with people thinking I sound arrogant when I say F1 is not football. I live in a very football heavy city and I constantly run into some of the people that the sport attracts and much more importantly, the way they behave.
          I have never in my life seen people at motorsport events wreck the town they’re guests in, get drunk all over the place, puke all over the place, randomly start fights with everyone because they’re in groups, destroy property (incl. my car), and require police forces to close roads so they can get from the train station to the event.

Again, if it sounds arrogant that I prefer a sport without all that… I’m gladly sounding arrogant. I’m well aware not every football fan is like that. But the sheer amount is what gets me every time. Look at what happened in Istanbul this weekend… It’s disgusting.

• @dennis

I too think that many football fans go beyond the acceptable too often, as you you can notice from my comment, and even though I feel it, I just don’t like saying it.

• @fer-no65 Multi-21 Seb, Multi-21

• You don’t even know what “Multi 21″ means.

• @noob
        Mark ignored the same order to hold station in Silverstone 2011. Worse even, he ignored the order in Brazil 2012 not to push Vettel on start when he was fighting for the championship in the last race.

It is a disgraceful hypocrisy to blame Vettel for not accepting an order NOT to race, something fans should actually like, whereas others can do the same thing and no jeer would come out.

It is jealousy and desperateness, pure and simple. And frankly the more such jerks act like that and I see how mature. 26 year old handles it I like him more.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:08

Valid point, if Felipe had ignored the ‘Fernando is faster than you’, he would have had a win after his crash back in 2009 and everybody would have cheered because he ignored team orders …

• Yep, it is hypocrisy of the highest order by this so called Formula 1 “fans”.
          If Webber ignores or Massa would ignore a team-order against them, they get hailed as heroes who stick it to the team and their currently dominant driver.

But if Vettel ignores a team-order against him in the second race of the season where the challenge for the championship is still open to anyone, he gets treated like the personification of evil itself.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 23rd September 2013, 7:59

People forget everything within a couple months… Webber ignoring team orders on several occasions, Alonso lying about team orders in Hockenheim… But that Malaysia incident will always be remembered.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 22nd September 2013, 19:08

It is not thrilling or entertaining, whereas Nadal, Federer, Messi & Bolt at their best are. Vettel’s performances are clinical, cold and emotionless.
      I have to say I thought that the booing would stop now we are at the Asian leg of the season. It is a bit harsh on Seb but I’m sure his march to his 4th WDC will more than make up for it.

• @brum55 maybe this SPORT is cold and emotionless… I’ve not seen Senna while he was racing, but I doubt he was that much entertainting while dominating a Grand Prix in the dry, miles ahead of the rest… which he did quite often, I think.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:10

Couldn’t agree more on your Senna comment :)

When Vettel is two seconds faster than his team on every single lap of the race, people should treat him as a god …

• Broom (@brum55) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:28

I didn’t watch Senna either but Senna was involved in one of the most fascinating rivalries in the sport, mainly when both were in similarly paced cars or when they were team-mates. When he did dominate it was given more credit because it meant dominating Prost in a similarly paced car. Webber is good, but he is no Prost.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 23rd September 2013, 8:02

@fer-no65

I have seen Schumacher dominating GPs, I have seen Mansell dominating GPs, Senna, Prost… And all of them in cars that were miles ahead of everyone else. And it was all literally the same as it is today. With one exception, back then there wasn’t nearly as much smack-talk about these drivers.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:44

@brum55

I think that attitude only highlights the problem with modern F1 fans, in comparison to other sports. Take the athletics example. Surely most fans watch Bolt knowing he will win? But seeing someone run fast is still “thrilling”. In F1, fans just can’t be satisfied with the thrill of watching some of the world’s best drivers in some of the world’s fastest cars. They just moan about how the fastest driver, who like Bolt, just destroyed a world class field, is supposedly killing the sport.

I guess that two factors explain that. First, the impression that “it’s the car”. To an extent, the car makes a difference. But Vettel’s teammate Webber, who is one of the best non-WDC on the grid wasn’t close on pace today. We’ve seen in the past, drivers be seconds in front of the teammates on raw pace (Senna over even Prost), but for some reason people suddenly find this unbelievable.

The second may have something to do with the current state of the sport. In athletics, Bolt holds world records for his speed. F1 not only introduces rules to slow the cars down, but we have the tyres that discourage most drivers (especially the fastest, like Vettel and Hamilton) from pushing. Then again, Schumacher holds a lot of speed based (lap) records, and people whinged about those days too. So maybe as @fer-no65 said, the sport may just be cold and emotionless. In another way, the stewards reprimanding drivers for giving each other lifts fits that description as well.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:50

@brum55

I guess that two factors explain that. First, the impression that “it’s the car”. To an extent, the car makes a difference. But nowadays, the cars are far more restricted than they used to be, yet the complaints about the car seem to rise. Look at the bans on driver aids, restricted aero and spec tyres for example. Vettel’s teammate Webber, who is one of the best non-WDC on the grid wasn’t close on pace today. We’ve seen in the past, drivers be seconds in front of the teammates on raw pace (Senna over even Prost), but for some reason people suddenly find this unbelievable.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 22nd September 2013, 22:21

It is all about the car. Vettel is better than Webber, he was in 2009 and still is today. However his greatness will forever be questioned when he is in a car that the likes of Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton cannot lap even within a second of.

F1 is full of drivers of very similar abilities. You cannot tell me that Alonso after leading the championship for so long last year in a slower car than Vettel, is now seconds slower a lap.

The reason Vettel is booed is because domination in F1 was bad for the sport. I firmly believe if there were podium interviews in the early 00s Schumacher would have got the same treatment despite being in a Ferrari.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 22nd September 2013, 22:41

@brum55

It is all about the car.

You’ve made that statement while ignoring the fact that a) F1 cars are far more restrcited than they used to be, as I pointed out already, and b) that not always does Vettel dominate races to this extent, with the other driver seeming so ordinary.

As I said, the car makes a difference to an extent. Alonso made part of the difference last year through his strength- consistency- while a bunch of people were inconsistently near the front in the opening rounds. It helped that the car improved considerably post-Spain and was more reliable than Mclaren and Red Bull (otherwise Vettel and Hamilton would have led the title race). The car wasn’t good enough for Massa to do anything.

Vettel is making part of the difference this year through his strength- raw pace- which is why he wins so convincingly. It helped that the car was fast enough, but not fast enough for Webber to do anything with it.

The reason Vettel is booed is because domination in F1 was bad for the sport.

The perception that it’s bad for the sport is because of the negative attitude of modern F1 fans. Bolt’s domination isn’t considered “bad” for sprinting

• David-A (@david-a) said on 22nd September 2013, 22:58

It is all about the car.

Forgot to mention, that if this were true, the drivers would be indistinguishable. Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen would be considered no better than Taki Inoue or Narain Karthikeyan.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 22nd September 2013, 23:41

Regarding Vettel’s domination of F1. Yes he is miles better than Webber this year, but he is not miles better than Alonso, Hamilton, Rosberg, Kimi to the extent seen in the last few races. His raw pace is not 1-2 seconds faster a lap. If that is the case how has anyone else ever been able to get a pole in the last 3-4 years?

F1 lasts for 1.5 – 2 hours, 100m sprints last 10 seconds. It is a poor comparison.

Compare it to Spanish football, which is dominated by the same two teams and despite the high level of technical quality, it is seen as an utter joke and attendances continue to dwindle. But who cares as long as the big two are happy.

Or Pete Sampras’s domination of tennis, which was also damaging to the sport. Men’s tennis was less popular than women’s which is the opposite now. They had to slow down the courts to the point where Hard courts and grass courts are barely recognisable from 10-15 years ago.

I think you will be surprised at the number of people who watch sport for entertainment, mainly due to a competitive high level battle. F1 is sadly lacking that right now.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 23rd September 2013, 0:50

@brum55
            Vettel has been miles better than Webber, but if it was all down to the car, then would that make Webber miles worse than all the drivers you mentioned? The answer lies somewhere in the middle- Vettel faster than any other driver out there, Red Bull were faster than any other car out there. Compared even to Spa and Monza, this was a dominant display by Vettel, on one of his best circuits. You even have Lauda in awe of his drive.

Spanish football is a joke, and is considered boring? Doesn’t Messi, the entertaining and not “cold, emotionless” sportsman play there, winning almost everything (both team and individually) in sight? And whether Bolt runs for 10 seconds or 10 days is neither here nor there. F1 fans know that they’re getting themselves into, investing approx. 2 hours to watch the fastest drivers in the fastest cars in the world. The other drivers and teams being unable to match Vettel and Red Bull’s brilliance doesn’t make the best boring. It makes the others not good enough.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 23rd September 2013, 0:59

@david-a

I think that is the case this year, I’m afraid.

I watch El Classico but the gap between the Barca and the rest is too much for me to devote 90 mins. I generally watch his goals in awe but there are too many mismatches in La Liga.

I think its both.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 23rd September 2013, 1:20

@brum55

Webber has been worse than some of the other top drivers this year, Vettel has been the best driver this year, hands down. Even without the car, his pace in Singapore would have still been superior to the rest (and Webber’s pace would have been worse than the other top guys).

I think its both.

It’s the latter. Vettel isn’t actually boring to watch, especially in qualifying. It’s when the others can’t match him in some races, that leads to the dominant races.

• DC (@dujedcv) said on 22nd September 2013, 19:56

@fer-no65
      Because he is already dominating for third season in a row and is likely to get the 4th title while their favorites are scrapping for the lower places. Basically they are tired of seeing the same thing over and over again

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:13

They should boo Webber instead then, McLarens dominance in the period 1988-1991 is seen as a golden age of F1. If the domination of Red Bull over 2010-2013 is boring, it’s because Vettels team mate can’t challenge him …

When Vettel is two seconds ahead of his team mate – which isn’t a slow driver – we should praise him for that.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 22nd September 2013, 22:56

Amen to that. Years from now people will wax poetic about having witnessed one of the greatest legends of the sport in his prime. I can’t imagine Fangio or Clark having gotten the same treatment when they were dominating the sport! and they certainly always had significantly superior cars to the other legends of the sport they were beating regularly.

• **.
        He only dominated one out of the three seasons he won the WDC in (2011 if I have to spell it out for you).
        The other two were only decided in the last race.

• Becken Lima said on 22nd September 2013, 20:36

“…F1 isn’t football. You don’t see people booing Nadal, Federer, Messi, Bolt either. So why boo a guy that completely dominated the opposition in such an outstanding way?…”

The truth is: media, FIA/FOM and the teams themselves always pushed F1 to be a driver oriented sport, when in fact should be a team oriented sport.

What is happening is that those booing are, subconsciously, a protesting for what F1 in general (including media) sold for them for years: a Drivers Championship.

Instead, we are seeing a outstanding team efforts to put him 2 seconds faster per lap than anyone else.

So, don´t blame the uneducated crowd for felling frustrated, but those ones who always manipulated the fans’ perception of the sport.

As an aside, I´d like to remember Seb on the Autosport Awards telling some good and funny jokes and, I have to confess: it is hard not to like him, or not to think he is a great kid with a well liked character.

So, I feel for him, mainly for him be the target of fans’ frustration towards F1 and for the incompetence of the teams that those fans support.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd September 2013, 0:04

@fer-no65 – They’re not booing Vettel because he won. They’re booing him because they think he’s a poor ambassador for the sport, who just happened to win the race.

For some reason, a lot of people seem to think that Vettel should be applauded for his achievements. And of course, he should. But it’s very difficult to show respect for someone’s achievements when you feel that you can’t respect the person getting those achievements.

It’s the same reason why Bernie got a backlash when he said he admired Adolf Hitler for his leadership. However strong a leader Hitler was, the atrocitices he committed mean that respect is the last thing he deserves.

That’s an extreme example, of course, but the logic still applies: no matter how many race wins and drivers titles he has, there is a perception that Vettel’s success has come at the deliberate expense of others’.

Both Vettel and Red Bull have said that they don’t care about the booing, but maybe they should pay attention. Otherwise, they’re likely to be remembered as some of the most-hated champions in the sport.

• Skett (@skett) said on 23rd September 2013, 0:56

I don’t care what Vettel says, the booing will affect him. Nobody likes to be disliked.

I do think the booing is harsh, and didn’t expect it in Singapore but I also can’t help but groan a little every time I see his pull away 2 seconds on the first lap. Comparing him to Hitler on the other hand? That seems a little OTT.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 23rd September 2013, 1:37

@prisoner-monkeys then again, they are just wrong…

I don’t see how he’s a bad ambassador for this sport. No one can beat Schumi at that, with all he got away with and the way Ferrari seemed to land at the perfect place year after year. And we didn’t hear booing appart from Austria 2002.

• Kimi4WDC said on 23rd September 2013, 2:55

There is no connection in what you saying about Vettel and Schumi, unless you underlining what PM said.

Vettel is not as charismatic or considerate or humble as some of the drivers. Especially Schumi. He might have achieved the success of his idol on track, but he must become a much greater human being to win the crowd. He is young he got plenty of time, if that’s some thing he wants.

• Oletros said on 23rd September 2013, 9:24

Why Vettel can’t be respected as person?

• Neven13 said on 23rd September 2013, 13:38

Vettel’s dedication in the pits makes me respect him. I think this is something that is not brought up enough. His ability to articulate a cars behavior to his engineers is currently unsurpassed. I do not believe there is a coincidence that Toro Roso performed so well in 08 and Red Bulls performance since 09. One of Newey’s best assets is having Vettel in his car.

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 24th September 2013, 4:45

I can’t see how Vettel’s domination is at the deliberate expense of the others. He proved many times that he’s faster than Weber and Turkey or Malaysia can’t be really counted for his dominance. Also he’s never been involved in a scandal that would make him a bad “ambassador for the sport” like Alonso for example.

• What on earth are you talking about? Comparing Vettel to Hitler? You are on crack, and the obvious implication about the nationality is disgusting.

F1 is a sport, the drivers are supposed to win to the best of their ability. You don’t let others win to help them feel better. Mark Webber is a loser, let’s face it, nice guy, fast driver, sulks a bit too much, lost 4 championships in a row.

• Velocityboy (@velocityboy) said on 23rd September 2013, 13:46

Any athlete who is unpopular will get booed and that’s just how it is. People aren’t booing Vettel’s dominance and they aren’t booing RB, they are booing Vettel the man. He is apparently unlikable and the people are letting him know it. Unlike Schumacher, Vettel hasn’t seen fit to hire PR people to either make his public statements or to shape and frame his statements before he utters them. The result is what we see now. If after trying to run Villeneuve off the road, Schumacher was unapologetic he would have been booed everywhere he went, however he knew enough to apologize and humble himself in public even if he didn’t mean it. Vettel needs to learn how to play the game and I wouldn’t be surprised if Red Bull start work to repair his image as they can’t maximize their investment if he can’t effectively market their products and those of their sponsors.

• People are assigning too much importance to the boos. Everybody knows it’s not “all people” who are booing Vettel under the podium. It’s a specific subset of the crowd at the races. There is no way to take this booing as some sort of intelligent commentary to be reasoned with. It’s just simple hooligan/tribal howling by sore losers.

• Thank you for saying this – I totally agree. So a few people shout at an athlete, who cares? There is booing in every sport on the planet, especially for anyone who dominates for a long period of time and makes championships boring. Why is F1 suddenly expected to be above all of this? And where was the entire paddock rushing to Hamilton’s defense when he was taking this kind of actual abuse instead of everyone just trying to sweep it under the rug?

4. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 22nd September 2013, 17:36

Glad to see Lauda speak out against the childish booing displays. These people should be booing their own teams and drivers for underperforming. Not a Vettel or Red Bull fan, but I applaud the way they are showing the rest of F1 how to drive a race and run a team.It is the job of the rest of the field to catch up. If Red Bull were cheating or Vettel purposely crashing opponents off the track to win championships, I could almost understand the sentiment. Since that is not what’s happening, the disrespectful folks can be considered nothing more than F1 booligans.

5. Jorge Lardone (@jorge-lardone) said on 22nd September 2013, 17:37

It is a pity that some formula 1 public are so disrespectful and unsportsmanlike. If you do not like Vettel, just do not applaud. Actually, this people seem football supporters.
    Vettel is a great driver, perhaps the better one after Schumacher. He deserves respect, as all of formula 1 drivers.

• I’m going to stand up for football supporters here They don’t behave as badly as F1 supporters. If Lionel Messi goes to Old Trafford and puts on a clinic, the Man U fans applaud him. Vettel had a grand chelem today, and was booed for it. It’s an embarrassment to the sport.

• @jorge-lardone I still believe its the Multi-21 incident… The way Vettel was on the podium of Malaysia or the way Lewis was, saying that the other person deserved to win, that would have been the right things.. The u-turn by Vettel after the break was what lost the respect people had for him…

• yellowsapphire (@yellowsapphire) said on 22nd September 2013, 18:49

Really? I’m not sure it really is.

I’ll take you back to the end of last season: Brazil 2012. I remember someone/some (media?) organisation being so unhappy with Vettel being crowned champion they raked through the copious amount of onboard footage to find anything they could to disqualify Vettel. Do you remember this? They thought they found a video of Vettel illegally passing under yellows. This went viral. “Ferrari… protest the result” everyone pleaded, even when it’d been slowed down frame-by-frame showing that he had indeed passed legally. But no. I remember, even on here, and even in the face of all the evidence, Vettel was a dirty cheat and that championship was rightfully Alonso’s.

I remember that. There was pages and pages of the stuff. So, really, “Multi-21″ is a bit of an excuse (unless some fans had the gift of time-travel, that is). This kind of stuff is just a perpetuation of something that’s been going on for a while. Don’t forget this is the first full season of podium interviews.

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 22nd September 2013, 19:48

@yellowsapphire Fair enough, but Vettel had a similar run of dominance at the end of 2012 and wasn’t booed then … Something has obviously changed between then and now. Certainly my opinion of him worsened with what happened in Malaysia, so it’s not unreasonable to assume that the same has happened for others.

My main memory of the yellow flag incident in Brazil is that most people were fairly level-headed about the incident. Sure, there are a few people who will never be satisfied whatever the evidence, but then there are still those who think Glock pulled over for Hamilton in 2008, or that the BMWs and Rosberg should have been DQ’d from Brazil 2007 to give Hamilton the title, when the rest of us have long since moved on. There will always be those who believe their favourites are in the right 100% of the time but they shouldn’t be thought of as representative.

• Absolutely right. Malaysia is just an alibi; supporters of Alosno and Hamilton are eating their heart out that another driver is winning left and right.

• DC (@dujedcv) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:03

@yellowsapphire
          They are doing that because in 2012 we had a tight fight for the championship and nobody booed Vettel post race but now he is dominating almost like in 2011 and in places where he is not the most popular driver people will boo him because they want to see a change and that is why they go for the more universally popular guys like Webber or Alonso and why they are pulling that multi 21 thing.

• yellowsapphire (@yellowsapphire) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:16

No, they’re doing it because they now have the ability to. Drivers are only booed in the podium interviews, and they’ve only been happening since Silverstone ’12. And Vettel wasn’t even on the podium in Brazil. It’s a perpetuation of something that’s gone on for a while, with the added bonus of being given the vehicle in which to do so (Pardon the pun).

• Probably to a certain degree, but I do not think it is totally due to the multi-21 “show”. I think people (well I least I do) think it is unfair and no sport what is going on. One guy gets a car that is more often than not .5-1 sec per lap faster than closest rival (including his team mate as well), and everyone has to “compete” with him on that base.
        Do not get me wrong – all credit to the designers of the package as they are obviously doing a much better job than the other teams’ designers – but on driver level it is NOT fair. I believe people do not value his achievements as a driver very highly – some will just not applaud him but applaud a driver they feel is better (e g ALO), while others will feel boooing is “appropriate”. Take 2012 for example – I believe the majority of the (knowledgeable) F1 fans believed ALO was the rightful champion. Many probably hoped VET really committed that illegal pass at BRA and would be punished for it for the title to go to ALO. They did not feel that way because they HATE VET – rather because they thought another drivers raced better, put on a better show and deserved it more. Ironically, VET crashed at first lap in BRA doing that ridiculous overtake, but the dominant package enabled him to go from last to enough good position and saved the driverstitle for him.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:15

It was Bruno Senna “doing that ridiculous overtake” and crashing into Vettel, not Vettel himself.

• Feuerdrache (@xenomorph91) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:24

In Brazil 2012, the RedBull was no “dominant package”. McLaren was. And regarding 2012: From Spain onwards the Ferrari was a complete different car allowing podium finishes at almost every race. People tend to forget that.

Take England/Germany 2012 as example, no one pulls away from the pseudo “0.5s-1s faster RedBulls” without having an equal car that allows to you to fight for wins. Alonso is no superhuman who defies the laws of physics. Ferrari was the better race car on many occasions.

• Oletros (@oletros) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:26

I believe that the knowledgeable F1 fans know who was the rightful champion

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:21

The rightful champion is the one who has the most points at the end of the last race.

I think Kimi said something like that in 2012, I couldn’t agree more with him :)

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 24th September 2013, 4:53

If Hamilton was so concerned that he was there instead of Rosberg why he didn’t let Rosberg pass him. The podium is too sweet to miss it. He should’ve been booed as much as Vettel.

• “Vettel is a great driver, perhaps the better one after Schumacher”

I do not rate SCH that high, but he was certainly a big time fighter and could do great stuff with soso packages. Just out of curiosity – How do you arrive at your conclusion above?

Most often than not VET has started from first row (if not pole), opened a massive gap using a massive package-advantage (see todays race for my definition of massive package-advantage) and cruised to victory from there – literally. That is a great result no question for him and the team, but I would not see that as great driving. Too many of VETs wins/success have come in exactly this way, to agree with the statement of yours.

• schumonen said on 23rd September 2013, 0:29

IMO the big issue for those people is that Vettel has won every championship in a Newey’s car. Schumacher’s 2004 was even worse in terms of domination and I don’t think anybody booed him, because in their eyes Schumacher earned that superiority spending 4 years (1996-1999) not winning a WDC at Ferrari, and also 1992 and 1993. For some pleople Vettel found the jackpot and didn’t “earn” his right to be champion. I don’t like the booing and I think is wrong but I certainly don’t thing is right that F1 has a 4 times WDC that is 26 years old.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 23rd September 2013, 15:34

And their eyes need to be tested. Vettel “earned” his right to be a champion by dragging his machinery up the grid in 2007 and 2008. He didn’t start his career in a top car.

It makes no sense to say it isn’t “right”. Is there an exact age limit for achievement in sport?

6. chirag_seb (@chiragsolanki29) said on 22nd September 2013, 17:38

i think in my opinion the fans are love “kimi” and “Fernando “the fans always cheer for them i also cheer for them when they race better then others but they don’t understand what the sportsman spirit means the fans please understand…. i love the way vettel driving and he is the world champion and i cheer when he came in India

7. This whole booing saga has made me see a different side to booing. I love to watch football and growing up I loved professional wrestling. In football booing is widely accepted, sometimes you will even get pundits talking about how the hostile reception of the home fans towards the away team will affect that team. In pro wrestling booing the heels (the bay guys) is vital to the whole experience.

Now because I’ve never seen anything wrong with booing for all of my life, I do find it hard to view the booing towards Vettel as extremely as some people do, but I am beginning to think that it is incorrect. I do respect Vettel and I have for many years, however earlier on during this whole affair I felt that I would still boo him if I was there at scene of some of the booing, but I have now reconsidered my thoughts on this.

I think what I have said applies to many of the booers themselves. I think many of them don’t hate him and do indeed respect Vettel, but because I think many of them are so used to it in other sports, it just feels natural to boo the opposition even if they put on a masterclass and have done nothing to deserve it.

• In pro wrestling booing the heels (the bad guys) is vital to the whole experience.

• Good open mind attitude, congratulations man, I do not dwell to much on the booing, most of the people do not boo, I think its a new fad and is making some fans nervous that it may take hold, as it is as you just realized, wrong to punish the winner for a job well done. And is not the first time a team dominates the field (ask Frank Williams about his famous fw14b and 15c domination) and I do not recall people booing Mansell or Prost later on when they clearly had “the car”, Schumacher was also unpopular in many places and still fans were civil about it, only recently some fans feel they are entitled to be considered a part of the process by approving or disaproving the result in a childish offensive manner. I can understand some of them thought, they hoped they came to witness a leveled field of competition only to find the same team crushing every other oponent, but again, that is formula 1 more often than not, mechanical features and skills must converge for a team to dominate the season so nor Vettel or red bull staff are a chance event, as they consistently show us.
      I am not a fan of red bull or Vettel for that matter, but I must suck it up every time they win and take my hat off in respect to their show of force, while wishing my cursed team raises to the ocasion or my driver pulls an occasional rabbit from his helmet as Senna did with Toleman, or Hunt with Hesketh, and while that does not look like it, I keep watching for the love of the sport, not the pleasing of the masses, with out wich, there would be no sport to watch.

8. Like I said in the rate the race comments; I really can’t imagine spending a ton of money on going to a GP, knowing Vettel’s form, knowing Red Bull’s form, watching a race for 90-120 minutes and become so frustrated you boo Vettel. If you really somehow believe it is unjust, maybe you should not be spending that money on F1, but on therapy, because you obviously have some (anger/jealousy) issues.

I started watching F1 when I was 7. I hatedHill, Villeneuve and Hakkinen because they had the audacity to beat my favorite Schumacher. Heck, at 15 I disliked Alonso because he did the same. I can’t imagine the people who go to Grand Prix’ have the same mentality about their favorites being beaten as a child?

9. Yeah well – under Bernie’s stewardship sport has grown, right? Grown, in this case meaning it’s been dumbed down to make it more of a show in order to attract larger audiences. Those audiences have been convinced to shell out big bucks with the promise of an exciting show. Well, they’re not getting much of a one and now they’re not happy.

Many people have been getting indignant about the booing, but the plain and simple truth is that these are Formula 1 fans in 2013, whether you identify with them or not. Formula 1 could have been managed differently. But Bernie decided a long time ago that bigger and more means better, that instead of finding the right audience it was more profitable to sell excitement. Thing is you can’t have it all. You can’t promise global audiences drama and suspense and then not deliver and expect people to be happy.

It’s a bit like if you promised people an action blockbuster and gave them Fellini. You want to put on a flashy show – well you’ll get audiences who expect a flashy show. Simple as that. They’re not the ones who come in through the turnstiles under false pretenses. The marketers of what remains of F1 as a sport are the ones who actively sought these people out and got them to cough up a week’s worth of salary for two hours of ‘excitement’. Now they’re booing because the races are one-man processions? Well duh.

• +100. The big boo goes to Bernie

• hrpanjwani said on 22nd September 2013, 19:47

You nailed it. Anyone who follows racing knows that Red Bull are going to walk away with both the titles this year after the mid season tyre changes. The day the changes were announced I cancelled my plans of going to the Indian GP. Why spend all that money when I can watch a procession from home?

A lot of people go to an F1 weekend as it is billed as an exciting premier event that is the new ‘in’ thing to do but the reality is disappointing. They don’t know what the hell a multi-21 is but do recognize a snooze fest. Cue the booing.

Let hope the shift to V6 changes the dynamic enough that we get years like 2007 and 2008 and things go down to the wire again.

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 24th September 2013, 9:06

Why don’t you blame Alonso for the boring races. Apart from the start he didn’t show much and he ended too far in front for anyone to challenge his second place. There are 20 cars in the race and people should go to cheer their favorite driver and team. they shouldn’t think that the race is boring if their driver doesn’t win. After all majority of people who go to the races have seen one on the TV and should know what to expect. I don’t think anybody is fooled by the flashy commercials. McDonalds looks great on TV too.

10. Merv (@) said on 22nd September 2013, 17:56

If you like Vettel, cheer all you like.

If you don’t like him, tough, you should at least applaud. I remember watching a masterclass from him at Silverstone in ’09 and couldn’t help but be impressed. I actually predicted his WC in 2010 that day, just from watching him drive around Stowe, it was simply a joy to watch.

I don’t understand how anybody can watch a performance like that, or the one today and Boo? It’s like buying tickets to the opera, being moved by the performance and then booing because it made you cry, madness! (and disgusting).

11. Chris (@ukphillie) said on 22nd September 2013, 17:58

I swear if I read the words ”We’re not football fans” once more I’ll go mad!

Yes, yes…we’re not football fans. Anyone wish to come up with something original on the matter or am I going to read 70 comments that say ”We’re not football fans”?

• But we’re not football fans, how dare F1 be associated with knuckle-dragging Neanderthals who know nothing better than to drink, fight and spread violence. We F1 fans are much better than that as we’re clearly classy, upstanding members of society that respect everyone.

• We are not football fans, because we are not the ones booing :D
      Though even football fans don’t boo during podium ceremonies as far as I know? These are the WWE fans, the people looking for a Russian roulette, a quick adrenalin fix with a happy end, ignorant to what racing and F1 in particular stands for.

12. ramy (@ramysennaf1) said on 22nd September 2013, 18:08

people should know, since 2011, we already knew this would be happening, it’s simple as that, no one is matching redbull in aerodynamics, in managing the team, in consistency of the car performance, tyre management, i’m not bashing vettel, he’s good, but anyone in his shoes would be doing the same thing, this is the best team witnessed since mclaren 1987-1991, so the fault is on other top teams to manage and better themselves the same as redbull is doing.

13. I think, the booing is more on F1 as a sport which has been too not F1 since past few years now. One winner. No competition. Worst, things like DRS, which is not encouraging ‘true’ driving skills based racing. The tyre issues. The list is pretty big. All of it together.

P.S.: After watching the movie “Rush”, it all the more not feels F1 at all now.

14. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 22nd September 2013, 18:37

I actually think all the Europeans crying about booing is worse then people booing.

Booing or Cheering as long as they’re making noise you are doing something right because they are recognizing that you exist, it’s when they make no noise that you have to worry. That is something it seems an entire continent needs to realize.

Question(s) for the people that find the Booing disrespectful. Is saying “well I give that movie only 2 stars our of 5″ because you didn’t think it was a good movie disrespectful? Is saying “I don’t like that type of music” disrespectful to the millions of people around that world that are involved with that type of music? Is saying “I like Pizza but not Stromboli” disrespectful to the guy who created Stromboli?

15. Taking nothing away from Vettel today after a very impressive performance, but I find it hard to criticise the boo-folk.

Watching the race highlights today, I turned it off. I can’t remember exactly the time I last did that, but it was during a similar period of domination by another chap of Germanic persuasion (disclaimer: I love Germany as a nation and a people, it’s just an interesting coincidence). Those who decry Vettel at the circuit don’t have the luxury that I had of not having spent hundreds of monies to watch processions like these, and to walk away before the end would be like dropping those monies in the nearest bin. They are only expressing the frustration that such poor competition engenders in them, albeit rather crassly, and these edicts to respect the drivers by the gods of F1 come across as patronising to me. The best reaction in all of these has been from the man himself, who takes up the best possible position in response.

Still, I’m pretty sad today, as I’m probably not going to watch for a while and just check the results, at least until someone can mount a reasonable challenge to Vettel, so maybe my sympathy for the boohaviour is just a product of my own frustration.

1 2 3 4