Lauda adds to criticism of Vettel booing

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Singapore, 2013Niki Lauda has joined the criticism of the booing targeted at Sebastian Vettel following his recent race victories.

Some booing was directed at Vettel following his victory at Singapore today, though not as loudly as in Italy two weeks ago.

Lauda, a non-executive chairman of Red Bull’s rivals Mercedes, said the booing was “ridiculous”.

“These people don’t understand what the guy is doing,” said Lauda. “I honestly take my hat off at his performance because the guy was leading the race from the first lap on, out-drove everybody, he could have lapped everybody.”

“And if I could choose I would give him the world championship today for this drive because he is for me outstanding.”

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has also criticised the booing, as has Vettel’s team mate Mark Webber.

Vettel said he took the booing as “a compliment, that’s the way I take it, because they are jealous because we win in front of whoever they support”.

“I think it’s not worth thinking about it that much, in the end,” he added. “We love winning and we achieved that today, we can be very proud of that.”

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

267 comments on Lauda adds to criticism of Vettel booing

1. Is saying “I don’t like that type of music” disrespectful to the millions of people around that world that are involved with that type of music?

Is going to a rap concert and booing the performer and saying “I don’t like that type of music” the behavior of a sane person? if you don’t like rap music, don’t go to a rap concert. if you don’t like Formula One drivers doing Formula One things, don’t go to a Formula One race. This isn’t that complicated.

2. AndrewT (@andrewt) said on 22nd September 2013, 19:05

for a very long time, F1 fans used to be peaceful guys, supporting their drivers and respecting the others, and that made a difference compared to other sportfans. Vettel is just doing his job without mistakes. I believe that 80% of the drivers are doing their job without mistakes, too, they are as fast and efficient as they can be, however down in the traffic it’s not that obvious or transparent. You don’t need a superior car to drive flawless, but if you have one, you’ll end up front.

– Vettel can’t be blamed for driving without mistakes.
    – Vettel can’t be blamed that the only driver in the same car is lagging way behind him.
    – Vettel can’t be blamed that Red Bull has the upper hand. Technically, mechanically, aerodinamically, every way.
    – Vettel can’t be blamed that the competition is so weak for a number of reasons.
    – Vettel can’t be blamed for capitalizing on the current F1 rules that might benefit Red Bull a bit, and undermine the image of F1.

I’m not a Vettel fan. I don’t care too much about the attitude of the fans towards him. Maybe I would rather see a couple other guys winning races too. But all of us have to accept, that if a driver has the fastest car and makes no mistakes, then worth to earn victories. And some manifestation of the frustrated fans doesn’t solve anything. The casue of the frustration is not Vettel, he is just capitalizing the best on the current state of F1.

3. Oletros (@oletros) said on 22nd September 2013, 19:20

When the speaker in the Spanish channel that broadcasts the races wishes that Vettel has a DNF or a crash and acts like the worst hooligan and when the first sports diary writes like hooligans doesn’t surprise me that there is people booing him.

Haters gonna hate

4. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 22nd September 2013, 19:22

Lots of outcry against all this booing. I wonder if the same people criticising this booing were the very people booing in Austria 2002 or Indy 2005….

5. Everyone has a right to be vocal and voice their opinion.

Sebastian Vettel is making F1 boring. By lap 2-3 of today’s race the Twitter majority was “4 second lead in 2 laps Zzzz”

If the spectators at the race want to voice their opinion by booing then they should do so.

Vettel’s dominance can be blamed on Red Bull for flouting any Resource restrictions, the combination of best driver and best car OR on the other teams for not getting it right. I would hope the booing either spurs the FIA to improve the show & other teams to try harder.

Either way, I have no problems with the booing, in the same way I would have no problem with football fans booing the opposition (Messi, Ronaldo or whoever) or any other sports fan booing the opposition.

• Sebastian Vettel is making F1 boring

That’s your problem right there. Vettel is not making F1 boring. The other teams and other drivers are doing that.

If they hold the feelings … sorry, “opinions”… you say they do, then they should have booed Alonso and Rakkonen for failing to make a better race of it.

• RAI & ALO made the race interesting as did the rest of the field mostly.

Vettel was the one running off. The rest of the field was relatively close together.

• @f1matt
          You have got that back to front.
          It is Vettel’s job to win the race. It is all the other drivers’ job to do the same. They failed at even putting up a fight.
          No driver is going to drive slower because it will make the race more exciting. That just isn’t happening.

• You don’t seem to really “get” the whole idea of sports. The objective is to win. If in the process of winning you personally find the process interesting, that’s all fine. But it’s not the actual objective.

Real Madrid beat Getafe 4-1 today without breaking a sweat. As strange is it may seem, football fans do not consider this to be a suitable reason to boo Real Madrid.

• I “get” it just fine thank you.

The job of everyone in the field is to win or do their very best.

I am not saying Vettel should slow down etc.

I am saying that him running away with the races is boring. He is doing what all the drivers are aiming to do but it is boring week after week, race after race.

As I put in my initial post, I believe the general consensus agree with that.

The rest of the field were relatively close together which although they were not battling for the lead, was still mildly interesting (I say mildly interesting as more of today’s race was a bore)

Now, if the spectators were not happy with the show today they are within their right to boo.

• Feuerdrache (@xenomorph91) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:44

It’s the goal of every sport competition to win. Vettel did that. Discussion over.

If you want faked opinions, drama and entertainment – watch wrestling or politics.

• Travis (@mcmerctn) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:38

@xenomorph91 But F1 entertainment. Sports are inherently entertainment, because we watch the games/races to see who’s best because we are entertained by it.

• Travis (@mcmerctn) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:38

F1 is entertainment, didn’t know how the italics worked on this site.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:41

@mcmerctn – And sports are inherently entertainment because they showcase the best people in the world doing their job, which is to aim to win.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 22nd September 2013, 22:09

F1 is entertainment. Booing may be annoying for Vettel fans and more traditionalists but the next thing will be dwindling attendances and poor ratings. Sponsors will pull out and that will lead to manufacturers pulling out or going into liquidation.
            Basically it is important for F1 to be entertaining, very important.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd September 2013, 23:56

@brum55 Having the common decency not to jeer at people and preferring to see entertaining races are not mutually exclusive.

• Malik (@malik) said on 23rd September 2013, 3:38

Well said

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 24th September 2013, 9:20

FIA is already doing a lot of things to make the racing better by introduction of DRS, KERS, Pirelli tires that fall apart and banning all of the areas of development that RB was doing better than the rest. So only thing left is for the others to pick up their game.

6. MtlRacer (@mtlracer) said on 22nd September 2013, 19:44

Has it occurred to anyone that it might not be booing, but just a bunch of people chanting Red Bull! Red Bull! Red Bull!. I know from watching plenty of hockey in that past that sometimes it sounds like the crowd is booing, but that’s because the are chanting a certain player’s name.
    Admittedly it probably is idiots booing, but that type of idiot would stop if they thought it was heard as cheering for Red Bull. :)

7. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 22nd September 2013, 19:56

I honestly thought the booing would have stopped when we got in the Asian races due to lack of dedicated fan bases and the politeness of the Japanese.

I think at this point it might have just gone beyond booing Vettel because he dominated but booing Vettel because other fans at other grand prix booed him when he won so now it is the norm. People say they boo because when he wins he pulls away immediately and stays in first but it just feels like an excuse at this point.

8. Michael Brown (@) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:06

Is it because Vettel is winning and the other teams/drivers can’t bring the challenge to Red Bull and Vettel? Should they slow down and let the others catch up to make the season artificially exciting? I know the season is dull, but Red Bull and Vettel are playing the sport the way it is meant to be played.

9. Booing is not acceptable, that’s a given. However, to assume the current dislike of Vettel is just because he’s winning all the time is insulting the intelligence of some genuine fans. I can only speak for myself, but I can honest say that I used to like him but over the years things have gradually changed. I think its the broadcasting of the radio messages and the condescending tone of his voice that do not do him any favours.

The “get him out of the way” radio message is the classic example. Not even Alonso has sounds that condescending when he wants Massa to move over.

The Webber stuff after Turkey and Malaysia just adds to this. As well as “What is Daniel doing”, “These stupid overtakes”, etc… I don’t doubt his talents, and his amazing attitude off track, but I just don’t like the arrogant way he conducts himself when in race mode. I should add that no other driver sounds like this on the radio. That’s only my personal viewpoint however, but I felt I should mention it in order to stress that the current mass dislike is not all because he is winning. Its a combination of things.

• You don’t have the faintest idea what Alonso sounds like on the radio, because none of us ever hear him.

the current mass dislike is not all because he is winning.

Since the current mass dislike predates the winning, that’s one thing you say I can agree with.

• You don’t have the faintest idea what Alonso sounds like on the radio

I know @jonsan. I go off what FOM feed me. Unfortunately, that’s all I’ve got.

Put it this way, the day FOM broadcast Hulkenberg saying “get him out of the way” to Gutierrez, I’ll probably change my mind. I’m guessing they don’t broadcast it because he doesn’t say it.

• Ah, come on, You don’t even need to hear Alonso’s radio transmissions to know the sort of person he is. He has a long track record in F1, and Vettels alleged personality flaws are nothing in comparison.

• @jonsan you are probably right. to be honest I’m not a big fan of Alonso either! I knew when I posted my comment there would be a reaction, but I’m just attempting to rationalise why I dislike Vettel these days…I’m not even completely sure myself so you can view my comment as an exploration of my own mind, attempting to figure it out!

Booing is not acceptable at all..let me make that clear. But I also think its good we have feelings about the drivers, good and bad.

• To be honest, I think many drivers sound like him on the radio. It’s perfectly normal, too. They are under a lot of pressure, sometimes you say something you shouldn’t. A couple of weeks ago we were hearing Alonso calling his team “idiots”, so I don’t think that Vettel is any worse.

My opinion is that people don’t like Seb because he is winning and they are trying to justify this feeling by saying: “I don’t like his finger gesture, that’s a sign of arrogance”, “His qualifying in Singapore was disrespectful and arrogant”, “multi 21″ and so on. If Vettel had not won three WDC no one would care about those episodes and no one would boo him, I’m quite sure about that.

• @mazdachris No problem. We all get carried away now and again on here, myself included (far too often)! Thanks for the apology :)

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 24th September 2013, 9:25

Yea, Alonso doesn’t asks his team to get Masa out of the way, that is in his contract. He just calls his team idiots.

10. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:08

People need to show a bit more class.

I’m a RBR fan and enjoy seeing Vet win but I don’t ever boo if Fred or Lewis top the podium.

I respect all the drivers for their skill and ability.

11. Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:13

people boo because, after multi-21, Vettel said he would ignore team orders again if he wanted to demonstrating that he doesn’t respect his team, his team mate, or the sport. He may be the best driver, but I’m not going to invest my efforts in supporting someone with an attitude like that. I think he’ll come to regret his choices, and perhaps already is doing so, but you reap what you sow. Hey ho, boooooooo!!!!!

12. scuderia_fan85 (@scuderia_fan85) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:23

we understand perfectly what Vettel is doing. we r booing him cuz its too easy for him and boring for us.

13. Someone please stop Vettel from winning and poles, its becoming boring.

• A lot of F1 fans don’t see F1 as a sport at all, they see it as a movie, or theater. So you get this attitude of “I’ve seen this exact same movie before! Boooo!! I want my money back”

You don’t see this in other sports, in real sports. It’s unique to F1. If Man United win the league again this year some people will be happy and some will be unhappy. But you will not see any significant number of fans demanding that the FA step in and stop United from winning, on the grounds that “We’ve already seen United win and now we want to see a different outcome”.

14. tian (@tiananmen) said on 22nd September 2013, 20:58

People are booing vettel simply because of his dominance. A lot of people want to see a new champion winning the wdc and the wcc

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 23rd September 2013, 0:11

Maybe they could go and start up their own ‘championship’ where the result of each race is decided and scripted before the start. You can have good guys and bad guys and sometimes the bad guys would win and you’d be al angry, and they’d come on the podium and start talking trash, but then their rivals would show up and all of a sudden there’d be an impromptu race because these guys are just so awesome and all want to race each other so bad, and in the end the good guys will win and everyone will be happy. And you’ll never be bored because they’ll make sure that in the script you have a certain number of overtakes and there’ll always be a battle for the win right to the last corner. We can call it the World Racing Federation.

Or, y’know, if you think that sport is boring just go and do something else with your life. I’m so sick of reading week after week how so many people really think that the sport is being killed or whatever. Or that it’s too boring or that they weren’t entertained. Really surprising to see so many people saying how much they dislike F1 really on a site called ‘f1fanatic’ because you’d have thought that the site would generally be populated by, y’know, f1 fanatics. Who actually enjoy the racing, rather than just sitting there like Simon Cowell judging what he sees based on how entertaining he found it. Maybe a new site needs to be set up called f1whingers where all these people can just go and honk endlessly using phrases like “killing the sport”, at each other, getting worked up into a sad, impotent rage while those of us who really do love F1 can just look on, bemused as to why people who claim to hate F1 so much still bother tuning in week after week.

15. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 22nd September 2013, 21:02

The booing is ridiculous. I think everyone agrees on that.
    I think people just don’t want to see another Schumacher era. The problem is the way that they are showing this.