Domenicali unhappy at continued booing of Vettel

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Christian Horner, Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen, Singapore, 2013Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali says he was unhappy to see Sebastian Vettel being booed again after his victory in the Singapore Grand Prix.

“We must recognise that our opponents have done a better job than we have and compliment them because in sport you have to accept when your opponent does better than you,” said Domenicali.

“That?s the same for the fans: I wasn?t happy to hear that Vettel was booed under the Singapore podium as well. The German driver was perfect and he was helped out by a car that was as quick as it was reliable: this should be acknowledged.”

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo previously criticised the behaviour of the crowd following the Italian Grand Prix, where Vettel was also booed.

Following yesterday’s race Vettel said much of the jeering seemed to come from Ferrari supporters: “Most of the fans are dressed in red, Ferrari has a very strong fan base for a reason: they have a lot of tradition in Formula One, they?ve been around longer and won, and they?ve been more successful than any other team.”

“There?s more and more blue people ?ǣ more and more people dressed in blue so we are doing a good job on that front. But obviously they are quite emotional when they are not winning and if somebody else is winning, they don?t really like it.”

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

114 comments on Domenicali unhappy at continued booing of Vettel

1. jms18222 said on 23rd September 2013, 19:17

Perhaps if Sebastian learned a word called humilty he might not get booed. The ‘mulit-21″ from malyasia is still in everybodys memory. I am quite frankly sick of RBR domination. F1 racing is beoming dull & boring of you are hoping your driver/tea, can compete for the race win. I fell asleep watching the race yesterday & Kimi came from 13th to finish on the podium. I don’t wear Ferrari red this year but I will next season. There might possibly be an F1 race in New Jersey afterall but if it is going t be another vettel show why should I waste my money going to see a race for 2nd place? Answer is I won’t.

• Perhaps if Sebastian learned a word called humilty he might not get booed.

Because Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna, Prost, etc were the prime examples of humble human beings, right?

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 23rd September 2013, 21:01

Every time Vettel wins, you know who he thanks? The team. If that isn’t a sign of humility, what is?

• You sound like a brand new football fan complaining that the same few teams finish on top of the league every year and that the games often finish one-nil when you want them to finish five-four. The solution is not to change the sport to suit you, it’s for you to learn to appreciate the sport for what it is.

F1 racing is beoming dull & boring (if) you are hoping your driver/team, can compete for the race win.

If that’s the only reason you follow F1, you are certain to be bored a lot of the time.

2. Victorinox said on 23rd September 2013, 19:24

People love winners, but honorable winners. That’s why Schumacher was booed several times as well. He crossed the line too many times (Crashing Villeneuve in ’97, or parking his Ferrari in Monaco ’06, etc etc) I don’t think there is any problem with Vettel’s domination, however, Malaysia will haunt him for a while. His attitude after the Malaysian race isn’t helping either. At first, he admitted his mistake, and I think most people were willing to let it pass. Unfortunately, he later reversed his apologies, and the booing became the norm.

3. Joao Pitol (@dantheman) said on 23rd September 2013, 19:46

I think my english language is missing something here…Why is he talking about blue people ?

• Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 23rd September 2013, 19:51

The Red Bull shirts and merchandise is blue, so Blue People = Red Bull fans.

• Lol he was just saying that Ferrari, as one example, has a huge following and a rich history in F1, so you see a lot of people wearing red in the crowds at F1 races. ‘Blue’ people would be ones wearing RBR clothing and his point was that it is their job to get more and more people behind them, supporting them, like Ferrari have been able to do over the years, so he’d like to see more ‘blue’ in the crowd. I suppose his implication was that it was mostly Ferrari/FA fans that were booing.

4. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 23rd September 2013, 19:49

Booing means the fans of other teams are displeased with the result as fans of other teams should be if their team doesn’t preform. It DOES NOT mean that they hate the driver/team they are booing or that they want to see him die in a slow firey death while his family is inches away unable to help, which is what it seems most people crying about the booing think it means.

As much as those boos are showing displeasure towards the other team they are also showing displeasure towards their team as well for not preforming well enough and it should also be seen as a motivating factor for their team.

5. I am quite disappointed on the amount of ignorant people who are part of this web site. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions and etc… but I always held the people who belonged here to a higher standard, at least higher than supporting such a ignorant, and low class thing like booing. Again, disappointed, but not surprised, society is less polite, and increasingly more uneducated, resorting to bulling people they do not like. It is quite a disappointment that so many of you support such an action, and I do hope you will never get bullied in your life, but if you do you will realize how this kind of behavior is unbecoming of a well educated and polite human being.

• Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 23rd September 2013, 20:15

How is booing (aka showing displeasure/disapproval in something) bullying? If that is bullying then your post where you show displeasure/disapproval of what other people is doing is also bullying. Also I would reckon to say that your blanket generalization and characterization of people who boo or support booing is rather bullying in itself so therefore you would be nothing but a big fat hypocrite.

• I don’t hear anyone around here supporting or promoting booing…they seem to just be either against it, or pointing out that it is not that big a deal. I really don’t think anyone is equating it to bullying, and certainly SV would be the most affected if this was bullying and yet there is no indication that he takes it that way. My goodness if booing is bullying then most professional sports must be quite unhealthy for quite a few millions if not billions of fans globally.

If you want to go down this road, let’s debate how much positive support SV got in Malaysia for ignoring the team order to remain behind MW. Could that not be considered a bullying tactic toward MW? Or at least unbecoming of an employee given an order by his superiors? Some drivers cut other drivers off on purpose, and some drivers give the finger or the fist to said drivers like that is going to do something. I always found MS to be the biggest bully ever in F1, and he was doing it using his car as a weapon at speed and could have killed someone. In other words I have found the behaviour of some drivers at some times far far more unbecoming, as highly paid professionals doing a dangerous thing, than a relative few fans who verbally don’t live up to your standards. Why I am surprised at the attention this booing is getting is that I thought everyone knew that in a large crowd you are never going to have 100% of them being ‘well educated and polite’, and even the ones who are, are human, and can have their weak moments when in the heat of the moment the education and the politeness goes out the window to make way for emotion. Sometimes it’s just a crowd mentality type of thing. Strength in numbers whereas individually those people wouldn’t have said a thing. Millions upon millions of highly educated and polite people have stupidly smoked their way into lung cancer and a premature death. That’s humanity for you.

• If you want to go down this road, let’s debate how much positive support SV got in Malaysia for ignoring the team order to remain behind MW.

You really need to get off this hobby-horse, because both your facts and your reasoning are faulty. SV did not receive “positive support” from RB for “ignoring the team orders”. SV got a lot more grief for it from RB than Webber ever did on the numerous occasions he ignored team orders.

Could that not be considered a bullying tactic toward MW?

Only if you think what Webber did to Vettel in Brazil was a “bullying tactic” as well, and you clearly don’t.

Sometimes it’s just a crowd mentality type of thing.

You could justify people calling drivers racist names (or doing much worse) with that sort of logic.

6. Knightmare (@knightmare) said on 23rd September 2013, 20:33

As wise man once said “You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”
    (pun intended)

7. Prof Kirk (@prof-kirk) said on 23rd September 2013, 22:36

Every great show needs a Villain.

8. Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 23rd September 2013, 23:49

In order to stop the booing the FIA should mandate that all winners who are:
    a) blond. b) German. c) called Seb
    Must be issued with and must immediately put on, a pair of thick sheepskin mittens. ;-)

9. Minardi (@gitanes) said on 24th September 2013, 3:13

I still don’t get all the fuss about booing either. It so commonplace in a baseball, one of the most mundane spectator sports on the planet.
    There are so many worse things that fans can do.

I love Brundle and I also have huge respect for Vettel, but you know what? If I’m at Austin and he dominates it, I might just boo for a bit.

• If your nick really does point to your allegiances, you ought to be having a Vettel shrine, taking a daily bow of honour in front of his statue, for what he did at Monza 2008 was as big as anything a Minardi fan could have ever hoped for.

10. karter22 (@karter22) said on 24th September 2013, 4:52

I really don´t care about the booing but I feel that even if SV was wearing a red suit, we would not get booed but he would still get no claps or cheers. It´s not the team that gets most people, it´s him. Simple as that. I can´t explain but that is what I feel.

• Broom (@brum55) said on 24th September 2013, 22:58

I disagree, if he was performing like this for Ferrari he would be treated like a God, like Alonso is. Vettel essentially drives for a drinks company that has no motoracing history or romance. They are using F1 to boost their brand.
      It will take a generation before they can dream of the support that the likes of Ferrari or McLaren get.

11. I think the booing is ridiculous and very childish, however, Vettel needs to be told from his own team how unsportsman-like he has become and although winning races is what he’s paid for, he should do it in such a way as not to cheat or disregard the rules, (especially from his own team!). Bad language has also been an issue with him. His actions and comments affect the sport and therefore if he brings the sport into disrepute then he should be reprimanded/fined/etc, like any other sports person. It seems to work in football why not F1?

12. I was at the british GP and stood up and cheered when Vettel had a DNF. Why? because it made the race and championship more interesting at the time. But no point in booing the guy.

However since then, you can only really admire the utter dominance of the Guy, 35 seconds gap in the last race is unreal, imagine the gap if there wasnt a safety car.

If i’m disapointed in anything its that. I want to see competitive racing, and if Vettel wins a battle then so be it.

So its over to the other teams to pull the finger out for 2014 and give us a competitive and exciting championship.

13. Don’t you think it could be because the lack of fidelity for RBR? I mean, if you witness an historic team winning like Williams or McLaren (which by now is a constructor as well) did through the ’80s and ’90s you are more in the mood to cheer. When Mercedes or Renault (and to a lesser extent Ferrari) wins, everyone owning a car of their brands will walk three feet off the ground for the rest of the week. What we are seeing for the fouth year in a row right now, is basically a big can with four wheels attached on it, not the kind of F1 team I’d imagine to cheer for…

14. splinky said on 24th September 2013, 19:49

The boos actually started in Melbourne – the first race of the season. Seb came in third behind Kimi and Alonso and he got booed on the podium. This was BEFORE Multi-21 and I think the crowd booed simply because he had been outperforming their home hero for the past 4 years. Simply a case of sour grapes and the boos carried on from there.