Tilke plans changes to Mexico City F1 track

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Sebastien Bourdais, Newman-Haas, Champ Car, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, 2006In the round-up: Hermann Tilke’s company is planning alterations to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City which is tipped to host a round of the world championship next year.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

New Jersey likely to drop off 2014 calendar (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“Charlie Whiting and a Tilke representative visited the Mexico City venue recently and plans for revisions to the track ?ǣ including moving the famous esses towards the infield to create more run-off ?ǣ are in hand. The promoters also want to build a new pit complex.”

Vettel should not be booed – Hamilton (BBC)

“No-one should be booed for their success, no matter how easy or hard it has been for them to get there.”

Lewis Hamilton claims he wouldn’t want to win in the same way as Sebastian Vettel following his cruise to Singapore victory

“I tried to imagine what it would be like if I was winning races the way he is winning races. Me, I don’t want to be able to be that far ahead, I want to be able to fight with him or whoever.”

Christian Horner Q&A (Sky)

“I just don’t think it’s sporting at the end of the day to see a driver who’s put in a performance like that not get the reception that he deserves. Of course he says it doesn’t affect him, he doesn’t feel it, but he’s a human being at the end of the day and when you’ve driven your heart out and you’re given that reaction up there to me it’s not fair. I don’t think it’s sporting, I don’t think it’s right and I don’t think it’s deserved in any way.”

FIA to advise against F1 driver lifts (Autosport)

“Drivers are set to be recommended not to risk future punishments for offering such lifts.”

Todt?s ??jump start? of FIA Election race should incur penalty claims Ward (David Ward and Team)

“At the very least it would be in the best interest of the FIA if all the support letters signed before 6th September now be revoked. By declaring them to be null and void, all the clubs involved would be released from any obligation they feel they may have unwittingly made before the election process had officially begun. The FIA membership can then engage in the election process transparently, without prior commitment, and make their choice based on a fair comparison of the candidates and their respective manifestos.”

Mercedes ‘not depressed’ over Vettel

Mercedes executive director Toro Wolff: “If you look at the race, immediately afterwards we were disappointed to finish third and fourth, but then you return to your hotel and say ‘Well, that was fine’.”

Andretti vs Mansell (MotorSport)

Jim McGee, Newman/Haas?s team manager 1993-94: “Mansell was such a showman. He was a magnet for the press and I think Mario thought the press should have been paying more attention to him in his last few years. Another thing was Mansell was very generous with the team. He gave them bonus money in cash and that really pissed Mario off.”

Access All Areas – Composites (Mercedes via YouTube)

Fernando Alonso’s bid for cycling team Euskaltel Euskadi fails (The Herald Sun)

“The negotiations between Euskaltel and the representatives of Fernando Alonso for the acquisition of the cycling team Euskaltel Euskadi on behalf of the Asturian driver, which began with an agreement in principle on August 31, have ended without an agreement.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Becken wonders whether unrealistic expectations at the root of the booing of Vettel:

Maybe what is happening is that those booing are, subconsciously, a protesting for what F1 people (including media) sold for them for years: a drivers’ championship.

Vettel’s domination is a team effort and should be perceived like that.

So, for some who are condemning the audience, don’t blame the uneducated crowd for feeling frustrated, but those ones who always manipulated the fans’ perception of the sport.

As an aside, I’d like to remember Vettel at the Autosport Awards telling some good and funny jokes and, I have to confess: it is hard not to like him, or not to think he is a great kid with a well-liked character.

So, I feel for him, mainly for him being the target of fans’ frustration towards F1 and for the incompetence of the teams that those fans support.
Becken

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Christian Mateus and Selidor!

On this day in F1

Stirling Moss won the non-championship Gold Cup race at Oulton Park in a Lotus 18 today in 1961. He shared the front row of the grid with Jim Clark – also in a Lotus 18 – but the future champion retired after colliding with Brian Naylor.

Image ?? Ford

109 comments on Tilke plans changes to Mexico City F1 track

1. JCost (@jcost) said on 24th September 2013, 8:02

Great article from Motorsports. Nigel Mansell was used to be my F1 hero, I was too young to understand why that Williams was so dominant, for me it was all him. I like his driving and his regular guy look, what a character.

2. iFelix (@ifelix) said on 24th September 2013, 8:03

Hamilton is being so disingenuous and untruthful when he says: I don’t wanna win like that! Seriously, have we ever seen him after a dominant win (and a dominant win inevitably is supported by the car’s pace or the opposition being eliminated) to say: “ah that wasn’t fun, I wish those guys were closer and gave me a harder time, try more next time boys”??

No, if he wins by a big margin he and the media see him as Ayrton’s second coming.

Furthermore, if he doesn’t care about winning with the car why does he constantly bitch that Sebastian has had the best car for the past 4.5 years(which is not even true! His McLaren was faster most of the races and this year Ferrari and lotus had a better race pace in the start if the season)?? Moreover, why did he went to Red Bull garage after Canada 2011 GP and begged to get a seat there for next year if he doesn’t want the supposedly “dominant” car?

Hamilton (like Alonso) are desperately trying to say that they are some sort of victim here because they have supposedly inferior cars and thus Seb’s wins and titles are worthless. And he is completely ignoring that some of Seb’s win like Germany was achieved with car and through hard battle with two faster Lotuses.

Nevertheless, it is commendable that he is condemning the jeering. This has no place in a sport esp. When the winner has done no offense.

One more thing: if ignoring a team order deserves booing, people should have been boing Weeber since Silvestone 2011 and then reinforce it after Brazil 2012). Besides, there are drivers who have done worse things to gain an advantage far worse than ignoring team order: for instance, Hamilton LIED to Stewards in Australia and was disqualified when his lie was discovered. Let me put this in perspective: lying to stewards is the equivalent of lying to investigators for personal gain in real life which gets you a prison sentence. Defying your boss’ order will reault in a disciplinary procedure which at worse gets you fired (or a slap on the wrist if that’s what your colleague has received for the same offense)

• Wow @ifelix.

I though Lewis said some pretty obvious stuff: Seb is great driver who deserves credit, but we cannot ignore his car was far better than opposition at Singapore (or since Spa, to be honest). He didn’t even said Seb likes it, he jsut said he would not enjoy. Did you ask Seb if he’d rather have closer battles? Probably his opinion is similar to Lewis’, it’s not Seb’s fault that his car is better and Lewis certainly did not say he would slow down his car to have a race…

3. BasCB (@bascb) said on 24th September 2013, 8:44

Posting a nice link to a video made by a viewer who had the Webber pickup happen right in front of him – link to my post in the article about that

4. bebilou (@bebilou) said on 24th September 2013, 10:04

In order to keep the Peraltada as it is, they could add soft-walls, like the ones they use on Nascar ovals.

Mexico city is an outstanding track: Tilke will slaughter it, like he did with every track he touched (Hockenheim, Fuji, Spielberg, etc…). I suggest we create a Facebook page to support the track and prevent as much as we can Tilke from killing it.

5. From the hamilton article:

“I look at his laps on the on-board camera and it doesn’t appear as though he is on the limit like some other drivers.
    “When you have that much in hand it makes it that much easier to do so. At the end of the day he does the job he needs to do.

I always wondered to what extend this is actually true. Webber appears to be far more on ‘the limit’ based on his more flamboyant on board laps, yet he is consistently outqualified. Of course, theoretically the back stepping out and flying over curbs isn’t actually on the limit, it’s slightly over it…

6. On, off, on, off. I hope the final calendar is released soon so the New Jersey debate can be put to bed either way (mind if it is on it, there’s still no guarantee that it will host the race).

7. Abdurahman (@) said on 24th September 2013, 12:52

Great Motorsport article as always. Really love that mag. Ahhh, our dear Nige at Laguna! the memories!

8. I sincerely hope that Tilke doesn’t ruin the track like they did with the Champ cars. The Oval T1 and T2 would make a great corner for the current F1 cars.

9. William (@william) said on 25th September 2013, 10:17

I am sure they can get the construction all done by race weekend. Which I am happy that Mexico will be revived for 2014. I reckon Kyalami should get a slot for 2015.

10. karter22 (@karter22) said on 25th September 2013, 11:06

Really looking forward for this race! I´m already planning on driving there next year! It´ll be some 2,147 km to drive for me but, I´ll more than gladly drive them! It´ll be a nice road trip with the missus and my little queen! Finally they will get to feel what I felt in Barcelona 2011! I have even picked out the hotel! I just need the calendar to be official to book it!