Webber derides “comical” Singapore reprimand

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Singapore, 2013Mark Webber has hit out at the FIA’s decision to reprimand him following Sunday’s Singapore Grand Prix.

Webber was given a reprimand for “entering the track without the marshal?óÔéĽÔäós permission” to get a lift from Fernando Alonso on the slow-down lap after his car broke down and caught fire at the end of the race.

“For [Alonso] and me to receive reprimands for our actions after the race it is comical to say the least,” Webber wrote on Twitter. “Great moment and fans loved it.”

Webber’s reprimand was his third of the year which earned him an automatic ten-place grid penalty for the Korean Grand Prix. Alonso was also reprimanded after the stewards judged he stopped in a dangerous position, forcing other drivers to take avoiding action.

Webber responded to claims he was told by marshals not to return to the track to get a lift from Alonso: “Contrary to reports, there was no interaction at all with any track officials after we put the fire out.”

CCTV footage showed Alonso stopped on the racing line to pick Webber up, and the Mercedes drivers dodged around the pair while Webber climbed onto the Ferrari.

Webber also pointed out that one of the Singapore Grand Prix stewards, Derek Warwick, had ‘hitched a lift’ in a similar fashion in the past.

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

144 comments on Webber derides “comical” Singapore reprimand

1 2 3
  1. Albert said on 24th September 2013, 8:23

According to Autosport, Webber was espeially told by the stewards not to re-enter the track. If that’s true and he still did, he’s a fool and is in no position to complain.

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 24th September 2013, 8:32

Webber specifically denies this, as stated in the article.

It’s not generally a good idea for drivers to publicly comment on their own penalties, but I suppose being in his last year of F1, Mark feels there isn’t much the FIA will do about it.

• Glenn (@glennb) said on 24th September 2013, 20:56

If Webber said there was no interaction, there was no interaction. He’s not trying to have the penalty reversed, he’s just telling it how it is/was.

2. Gwilym said on 24th September 2013, 8:33

Surely if the reprimand was for “entering the track without the marshal’s permission”, then by tweeting “Contrary to reports, there was no interaction at all with any track officials after we put the fire out” he’s admitted he didn’t have permission and therefore the reprimand was 100% justified?

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 24th September 2013, 8:56

Bingo. I like Webber, but it looks like he doesn’t know what he was penalized for.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 24th September 2013, 8:59

Or he knows and is only playing the fans´simpathy…

• Rossa (@rossa) said on 24th September 2013, 9:58

as I said webber knows well to manipulate public opinion!

• celeste (@celeste) said on 24th September 2013, 15:41

@maroonjack No he hasn´t earn my simpathy. But is because I follow people and visit this site like this were commentors and Keith bother in having and impartial view and to interpretate the rules and have information that can complete the judgement on the action (the video), but most fans have not seem the video and only influence by what Marke Webber saids. And Mark Webber being and intellegent man knows this.

@montreal95 No, not patronizing, see coment up about my comment on the fans. As for why was the reprimand and the grid penalty see the link I posted below.

Not, no

• @celeste

It was potentially a dangerous thing to do so both Alonso and Webber IMO deserved the reprimands (it’s sad that it led to a 10 place grid penalty for Webber as it was his 3rd for the year)… Reading by Webber’s tweets I feel,..

1. he thinks the penalty was comical ( I completely disagree with him though he is entitled to his opinion )…

2. he contradicts the claim made by Autosport that he was instructed by Marshals not to re enter the track and he ignored it… (There is no way of knowing the truth on this one unless there is solid evidence)..

IMO he has expressed his opinion on the whole matter with which many people disagree (myself included).. but comments like “how he is trying to get the sympathy of F1 fans” shows a little too much dislike towards him… I wonder if you would be saying the same if it was Vettel at the center of this latest story…

• celeste (@celeste) said on 24th September 2013, 20:48

@puneethvb Don´t know what Vettel has to do in all this.

According to journos that saw the original video the Marshall shouts and indicates to Webber not to get into the track. Just wish FOM will realease the video so we could get over this

• @celeste

I used Vettel’s name because I think he is your favourite driver and probably Mark is one of the least liked drivers by you… I feel you would nt be making such a big deal out of it if it was Vettel in place of Mark…

and as long as FOM does not release the so called video(which I doubt even exists) that shows the Marshal trying to stop Mark, it’s just one man’s word against other

• celeste (@celeste) said on 25th September 2013, 18:30

@puneethvb Sorry, but bringing a driver that has nothing to do with this discussion don´t seen to be a good argument to me.

And just to be clear safety goes about that driver preference.

Rules were created to ensure the safety of drivers and marshals, and Webber (and Alonso) are not about this rules.

• the anti-Webber brigade

First I’ve ever heard of that group. It sounds suspiciously like you’re accusing people of bias to back up a weak defence for Webber’s actions.

I advise you to not cross any streets from now on Mr. Warwick.

Take away the sarcasm and that’s pretty sound advice if that street is just after a blind corner where cars could be travelling at 60 mph.

• look at FIA statement on Webber, it says he has been reprimanded exactly for that reason, “entering the track without marshal’s permission”.

• Even though I felt the gesture was nice, I have to agree with the stewards here. It was stupid from both of them – Alonso to stop where he did and Webber to run onto a very much live racetrack. Had Alonso pulled off the racetrack entirely I’d have maybe agreed with Webber, but as it was the FIA did the least they could to give him a slap on the wrist.

3. celeste (@celeste) said on 24th September 2013, 8:35

Seriously Mark? I mean, If he for real?! Is so obvious and so dangerous what they did and he is wearing a martir´s mask (and of course fans will believe him because he is Saint Mark)…

The reprimand has nothing to do with the “hitched lift” is all about how Alonso stopped in the middle of the track and Webber went running like a mad man in front of Formula 1 cars!!!!!!!!

Warwick point of view in the reprimand:

However, Warwick, one of the stewards in Singapore, argued that it was a “dangerous situation” and constituted a clear breach of the rules.

“It is not health and safety gone mad,” said Warwick, who is also the president of the British Racing Drivers’ Club. “A driver could easily have been hurt.

“I hope we’re not seen as killjoys. I want Formula One to be entertaining. I want it to be a spectacle. I’m a big fan of MotoGP and I wish we in Formula One could get closer to the drivers like they do in MotoGP.

“We have become a bit sterile in many ways in Formula One. But we cannot put drivers at risk. If it had been done in a safer manner, then it might have been viewed differently but this was potentially very dangerous. You can’t have cars parked in the middle of a corner.”

• Pete (@repete86) said on 24th September 2013, 12:43

I couldn’t agree more with that statement, and I’m glad that Warwick sees it that way. It wasn’t the lift that was the problem, it was the way in which it was carried out. It would have been catastrophic if Rosberg or Hamilton hit Webber or Alonso’s car, and the reason for it would have been the way in which it was carried out. Alonso shouldn’t have parked his car at the exit of a corner on a street circuit where visibility is hampered by the barriers.

• @celeste yeah… I like that Warwick points out that had Fernando stopped closer to the wall or something, they’d have let them go…

But, yeah… as a MW fan and all, it was pretty dangerous. But I can understand his frustration, but well…

• it wasn’t that dangerous like some are suggesting. if it was, he would have been hit or nearly hit, which he wasnt, the other drivers are alert to sudden slowdowns on cool down laps, and dont drive into another car on cool down lap and I doubt they would drive into a person on the track – they would take avoiding action easily as everyone is going slow, It was so momentary and Webber obviously had a look to see whats coming. you could see Hamilton went comfortably around the Ferrari. its blown out of proportion. its nothing compared to having marshalls on the track with drivers ignoring yellow flags, which we have seen before.
      People are saying Webber got reprimand for entering the track without marshalls permission… is that a rule? how long has it been around? and does it include cool down lap?

• Did you see Rosberg passed Alonso on the left? Right were Webber was standing.
        Just because it didn’t result in a near fatal accident doesn’t mean that it wasn’t dangerous.
        The thing is, had it gone wrong, Webber would have been looking at spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair. At best. Which isn’t exactly worth it, when all it took was for Alonso to park on the run off area instead of right in the middle of the circuit. Just after a corner. On a street circuit. They weren’t exactly playing it safe.

• You don’t have to be hit or nearly hit for it to be dangerous. If I walk into a lion enclosure then that’s pretty dangerous regardless of whether I’m nearly mauled, slightly mauled, eaten, or actually completely untroubled.

• ooohhhh it was dangerous (sarcastic tone) Bunch of sooks.

4. Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 24th September 2013, 8:35

Webber got the reprimand for entering the track without marshall’s permission, so I can’t see how not having an interaction with stewards is an excuse. Neither does someone else having a lift have anything to do with this, Webber didn’t get his reprimand for that.

So I think Mark’s complaint is populist and silly. Running to the track like that was potentially very dangerous and Mark should no better. Receiving only a reprimand is a light punishment in my opinion.

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 24th September 2013, 8:43

I can’t believe how much Webber is missing the point in this case. The actual lift itself would have been fine had he asked permission and had Alonso stopped on the run-off area of turn 7.

In my opinion, this is just Webber trying to make it look a bit better for himself by pretending the actual lift was the problem. Webber has 700,000+ followers on Twitter, most of them having absolutely no clue that the penalty didn’t refer to the actual lift itself. So if he can make it looks as if Derek Warwick and co are the bad guys, everything works out for him.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 24th September 2013, 9:02

I really don’t see how it “works out” for him. Most of the uninformed people were already at his side, so he gains very little, but he’s losing a bit of respect from the real F1 fanatics who actually know what’s going on.

• Girts (@girts) said on 24th September 2013, 9:09

@andae23 Webber is a nice guy but, just like Helmut Marko, he has his own agenda and he acts a bit like a prima donna now and then. I think that his ‘honesty’ is often just him playing his game. But I still am gonna miss that next year.

• Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 24th September 2013, 10:44

@andae23 Yes . I like Mark but this is absolutely silly of him to try and deny it . It was unwarranted for him to jump to the middle of the track

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 24th September 2013, 13:44

@andae23 I’m not defending Mark on this but if he got a penalty for entering the track (after the race was over) why didn’t Bottas got one when his engine failed in Hungary and also ran across the track to the pits in the middle of the race?

This is also yet another case of inconsistency by the stewards who react quite differently depending on who makes the offence, if they’d given Valtteri a meaningful penalty back then maybe Mark would’ve stayed out of the track when asking for a lift.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 24th September 2013, 15:25

@mantresx Two things: first, we don’t know if Bottas was given permission to run across the track from a marshall – if so, then he had every right to run across the track. Second, you could argue he got out of the car and then he ran straight-away, so he hadn’t ‘rejoined’ the track after the incident. So we can’t really compare the two cases because we simply don’t know the details of Bottas’ retirement.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th September 2013, 16:43

@mantresx Good point about Bottas – he did have permission from the marshals to cross the track, though.

6. nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 24th September 2013, 8:48

Everything would be much better if they did it 10 meters forward and to the right where they would be more visible to the other driver’s. It wouldn’t be “comical” so comical if Lewis or Nico hit Webber and make a tragical stupid situation. Webber is a bitter guy who didn’t accomplish nill in a (let’s suppose that he is) same car as 4 time WDC Vettel.

7. Girts (@girts) said on 24th September 2013, 9:00

For sure, fans loved it. I loved it as well. Unfortunately the pick-up wasn’t as safe as it should have been, which is why the reprimands were deserved.

It’s obvious why Webber and Horner oppose the penalty but I believe that FIA did the right thing by punishing the drivers. However, it would be wrong to discourage “taxi rides” just because Alonso and Webber didn’t do it the right way this time. They’re fun and they add a touch of romance to the sport that sometimes feels a bit too clinical.

8. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 24th September 2013, 9:02

Don’t forget as well, Singapore is a night race and the RBR overalls are a dark blue colour. Hardly what you’d call high visibility, especially when drivers are on a slowdown lap and might be concentrating more on picking up rubber, waving to the crowd, or changing some setting on the steering wheel. Especially if they’re distracted suddenly by a bright red Ferrari stopped in the middle of the track. I’m not saying it was the most dangerous thing I’ve ever seen, but there was certainly the potential there for an accident. Two cars had to swerve, one narrowly missing hitting Webber. We’ve seen the kind of damage these cars can do to personnel just at the low speeds in the pitlane, so a car doing 100km/h is not something to be taken lightly. And these are purpose built racing cars, not the kind of car you have on the high street with bumpers and pedestrian-friendly deformable structures. They’re designed to go fast and protect the driver from hitting brick walls, not to prevent injuries to reckless Australians desperate to generate a little bit of controversy.

I like Mark Webber, but I think in this instance he’s totally wrong and needs to have a think about the implications had there been an accident. Not just for him but for the sport as a whole. We’ve seen the sort of knee-jerk reaction from the FIA to a pitlane reporter being hit by a wheel, so you can only imagine what the response would be to one of the most popular drivers on the grid being mown down and hospitalised live on TV. All for the sake of creating a certain image.

I don’t want to see this kind of thing disappear from F1. In fact, I want to see cars stopping, I want to see drivers taking off their helmets, I want to see burnouts. I want to see Fernando plant ‘Alonso-Land’ flags in the gravel traps. What I definitely don’t want to see though, is any of those guys getting hurt for the sake of it. F1 is dangerous enough without adding to it by having drivers running around unexpectedly on the track, or cars stopped right on the racing line on a blind corner. There’s a right way and a wrong way to do these things, and in this instance, Alonso and Webber sadly chose the wrong way. They need to understand that, acknowledge that, and move on.

9. You’re joking, isn’t it? C’mon! The race was ended, the racers was driving slowly and everybody could see the stopped car. It wasn’t during the race.
    You can say that with the rules on the hand this is the punish but at the end it was dangerous for nobody and it was a good gesture between two rivals and friends.
    The sport needs more gestures like that.

• Oletros (@oletros) said on 24th September 2013, 9:18

Have you seen the video?

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 24th September 2013, 9:27

the racers was driving slowly

Around 80 km/h in this corner. A speed usually deadly for pedestrians when hit.

everybody could see the stopped car

With “everybody” you mean those that can see through solid walls?

• before to write read fluently the FIA statement on reprimands and watch the video!
      it wasn’t penalty for “beautiful gesture” but for how they did it.

• Before to write read my post my friend, It’s sorter and more clear than the FIA statement ;-). As I said “You can say that with the rules on the hand this is the punish” I have no complains about the punish but I think there are people that are exaggerating the action.
        I saw the video and all the drivers could see the stopped car and everybody could overtake without any problem or any sudden turn.
        C’mon guys it’s not so serious!

• It looks dangerous enough to me. It shouldn’t have been any danger like this in the first place.

• Turn 7 is a blind corner… I don’t see how anyone can say it’s not dangerous.

• Whether something is dangerous is not about what actually happened, but what could happen. Nobody got hurt, and all is well. However, the potential for a very nasty accident was certainly there, and it was something that could be completely avoided by both drivers. With that said, both reprimands are perfectly fine. But the only reason it gets blown up so much is because it’s Webber’s third reprimand, earning him a penalty. Would it have been such a big deal for everyone if he hadn’t gotten a penalty? Probably not. So whoever Webber wants to blame for this, in the end it was his own fault.

During the 2003 British Grand Prix, the track got invaded by a priest running around the track. All the drivers avoided him and nobody got hurt in the end. Was that not dangerous by your standards? I mean, all the drivers could see him, and all were able to steer around him. So, to use your own words, it wasn’t that serious.

• astonished (@astonished) said on 24th September 2013, 21:15

F1 raĂ­ces should be banned. It is a dangerous affair that can kill people.
            If ( big If) we assume some risks then stopping the car and jumping into it should be acceptable when the drivers around are ” super license” holders on a cool down.
            Or we should ask to reduce sector times by 25% at least under yellow flags. 50% under double yellow flags. That IS dangerous.
            Street circuits? Eau rouge? Out of the calendar…
            And ultimately go bed earlier out of boredom….

10. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th September 2013, 9:26

I see many people – here and on social media sites – saying the FIA were wrong to reprimand Webber for taking a lift from Alonso.

What I’m not entirely clear on is whether these people are under the mistaken impression Webber was given the reprimand because of the lift, when the FIA say it was because he went onto the track without permission, or because they are aware of that and think the FIA are just using a detail in the rules to punish Webber for doing something they disapprove of but haven’t outlawed.

Thoughts?

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 24th September 2013, 9:29

I think these are people that only look at the headline and then comment without reading the full article.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 24th September 2013, 9:46

I agree. The comments in the original article show that 90 % of users bashing stewards didn’t understand that a) Webber was given only a reprimand b) Alonso got exactly the same punishment and c) neither of them got, according to FIA, their reprimand for giving or receiving a lift, even though all these facts were in the article.

Instead of clinging to their original opinions, some of the users later admitted they jumped to conclusions before reading the entire article , which kind of honesty I appreciate a lot.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 24th September 2013, 10:38

Let’s be honest, headlines like “Webber to get grid penalty after lift from Alonso”, while technically correct, didn’t exactly help to inform the public :)

Reading the content of the article? Bah! “Ain’t nobody got time for that”! ;)

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 24th September 2013, 9:31

@keithcollantine I think it’s largely the latter. Have the drivers involved in the various other “lift” incidents over the years sought permission from the marshals before going to hitch a ride? Or are we talking “track” as in “between the white lines” as opposed to “on the wrong side of the safety fence?”

I think people are also reacting to the fact that – because of Webber already having collected two reprimands earlier in the season – he’s been given a ten-place grid penalty for what was a fairly innocuous post-race stunt. I know you dislike footballing analogies, but I suppose it’s the equivalent of a player being given two “soft” yellow cards, which equals an automatic red.

• thatscienceguy said on 24th September 2013, 9:33

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I just pulled a certain F1 journo up on it too, he hasn’t replied yet.

The penalties are actually fair and justified imho, and that has nothing to do with the lift itself.

• JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 24th September 2013, 9:36

I do wonder whether this would’ve caused as much fuss if it hadn’t resulted in a grid penalty. Nobody seems bothered about Alonso’s reprimand, to be honest. Just have to remember that Mark’s grid drop was just as much a punishment for bumping into Rosberg in Bahrain and speeding under yellows in Canada.

• Jono (@me262) said on 24th September 2013, 10:11

seriously people, do you think we would have got the original taxi moment (silverstone 1992) if Senna hadnt done the right thing and kicked the track marshall vigourously that was trying to remove him from atop of Mansell’s williams preventing him a lift back to the pits? Listen to what we’re saying: Mark Webber was told by some marshall not to re-enter the track….how old is Mark Webber again? and why does a marshall think that he has the right to be telling a veteran Formula 1 racer what he can or cant do in the vicinity of a circuit when a race is over? the world has gone mad xD

• OK, I see your point; but how do you account for Hamilton’s view of the event then? He was the one in the car, who had to avoid the guys; and it seems his views differ from that of Webber. So you need someone to make a choice between drivers’s opinion. It’s not like if all (experienced) drivers would agree…

• @me262 Senna and Mansell may be the most famous one, but it wasn’t the original, that was in Mexico in 1986. ;)

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th September 2013, 10:33

@me262

Because the rules give him the right to do exactly that.

• @keithcollantine
          Sure, I agree; but I think @me262 was rather questioning the validity of that rule (not the fact it exists); or that’s at least my interpretation of her/his post…

• Jono (@me262) said on 24th September 2013, 12:01

@keithcollantine ok without falling back on ‘it’s a rule so dont question it’ the question is: what sort of insight can a ‘marshall’ that could be unemployed long term and have an IQ of 46 for all we know can provide Mark Webber on whether it is safe or not safe for Mark to step back on to the circuit which just 3 minute ago, he was travelling at speeds of 300 km/h and mind you, is a professional racing driver with over 200 gp’s under his belt? in what way this marshall better qualified to make this assesment? because he did some marshall training the day before the grand prix?

• I do not think you have to be insulting the marshall to make your point, and you don’t need to be pedantic. What does IQ has to do? Do you have Webber’s? Do you need to have a high IQ to drive an F1 car?
            What does being unemployed for a long time has to do with the question? Does it decrease one’s ability to evaluate the safety of a situation to be unemployed for a long time? Or are you using it as an insult, thinking it decreases one value?

Whatever experience you may have, you can make mistake and without doubt Webber made one by crossing the racing line in a corner. Your comment, even if aggressive, does not answer Hamilton’s view of the event. But given your previous post, I actually do not care about your answer.
            Good bye.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 24th September 2013, 12:10

@me262
            Hamilton said he would’ve ran over Webber, if Mark was running where he drove (that means, if Webber decided to start running over the track 4 seconds later than he did). So the answer is yes, this imaginary marshall with an IQ of 46 knows better than Webber.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th September 2013, 12:40

@me262 The idea that someone with an intelligence level insufficient to perform basic domestic chores could become an F1 track marshal is insulting, as is the bizarre dig about being ‘long term unemployed’, and your assumptions about the amount of training they have shows considerable ignorance.

This article may go some way towards redressing the latter:

Behind the scenes with a track marshal at the Singapore Grand Prix

• celeste (@celeste) said on 24th September 2013, 16:38

@me262 marshalls are fans like you and I, that lend their time for the love of their sport. Whether you think the reprimand was right or wrong you should be respectful of their job and sacrifice; specially when one of then lost his life earlier this year in Canada.

• Jono (@me262) said on 24th September 2013, 12:55

@keithcollantine insulting and bizarre it is, the truth more than often gives way for political correctness and empathy. Lets be serious, give me nascar/indycar proffessionals and I’d be singing a different tune. F1 marshalls are in majority average units …little more than fans that want to be involved in their local grand prix every year and get the best seat in the house (and be in a position to get an autograph or 2). But hey it is a bit tough, after all they do a great job…and arent we all in debt to them, for the absolutely phenomenal job that they do…not to mention the time that they put in. They are the real unsung heroes cough cough oh please lol

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th September 2013, 16:46

@me262 Whatever your opinion of marshals, the fact remains if Webber did not have their permission to go on the track, he’s the one in the wrong.

• adaptalis (@adaptalis) said on 24th September 2013, 17:35

@me262 While i’m not at Turn 7, i can assure you, none of the marshals are out there looking for a ‘feel good’ power trip. We are all trained to always look out for safety especially to our fellow marshals and drivers.

We may be average joes having normal jobs during the rest of the year, but it is our job over the weekend to make sure everyone returns home safe at the end of the grand prix.

If you choose to see all of this as being politically correct, i can’t stop you. Perhaps you should try officiating at your local race track.

• why does a marshall think that he has the right to be telling a veteran Formula 1 racer what he can or cant do in the vicinity of a circuit when a race is over?

Because that’s his job, and because he DOES have the right to tell him what to do (based on the rules), and also the right to give reprimands.

You know, they’re called “marshalls” for a reason.

• It’s people like @me262 who can absolutely ruin the fun at a racetrack for everyone. People who disregard marshals, who spend their free time making sure races, competitors and spectators are safe and usually know the rules a whole lot better than you’d think, are the reason why people stop enjoying being a marshal.

My dad was a marshal at Zandvoort for 10 years, and usually, the drivers have a lot of respect for any marshal and team members know to listen to them. It’s the audience who go around yelling ‘my freedom!’ when they’re told standing near an opening in the fence is dangerous, or standing near an access road isn’t allowed. It’s a shame Mark Webber cared more for hitching a ride than the safety of himself and others and the marshals’ permission.

‘Grown men’ can get themselves hurt in a flash of stupidity as well as children.

• Jono (@me262) said on 24th September 2013, 11:47

@npf1 thats where the actions of senna were validated: sometimes rules are to broken, more when it saves you a 40 minute walk back to the pits :) Marshalls will be Marshalls and as most humans will do, they will generally try to excercise as much (and more) authority from their positions as track marshalls as they can marshally muster… great story down at the pub, how many times would have that marshall told the story of the day senna karate kicked him? If I was a marshall I would prevent SV from stepping on the tarmac due to the danger of getting hit by a car, wouldnt we have a great championship then aye? ok Im rambling now.. ;)

• @me262

I highly doubt that there wasn’t another way for Webber to get back to the pit. Usually, there will be scooters, vans or even pick up trucks along a race track, which he could have waited for. Or, you know, Alonso could have stopped on a safe place.

Maybe you haven’t read about the death of Tom Pryce. Sure, that happened at racing speeds, but humans don’t take well to being hit at 60/80 kph either.

This is exactly the kind of butthurt response I heard at Zandvoort for years. ‘You’re just playing police officer’. Of course it is impossible for you and the people you like to actually put yourself at danger or not follow the rules; everyone else is out to get you.

Go to a local race track and get an introduction from either track or paddock marshalls. It’s a lot of fun and a great way to help local motorsports if you sign up. Plus, you seem like the kind of guy who might learn a thing or two in the process.

• “and why does a marshall think that he has the right to be telling a veteran Formula 1 racer what he can or cant do in the vicinity of a circuit when a race is over?”

This is how bad accidents starts, by totally disregarding the rules that are set from many years of hard experience.

• @keithcollantine It seems to be because people have (a) misunderstood the reason for the reprimand (entering the track as opposed to the lift) and (b) the fact that they assume that the 10 place grid drop for the next race is the punishment for the reprimand and not because he has now accumulated three reprimands this season (i.e. failing to understand that the reprimand is the punishment for this actions in Singapore).

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 24th September 2013, 10:32

I actually think that on these types of issue the FIA has generally been quite understanding of the fine line between applying rules and entertaining fans. For example I don’t believe that Hamilton was punished for doing ‘doughnuts’ at the end of the British Grand Prix in 2009 or Alonso for picking up a flag at Barcelona this year. In both cases I think the FIA could have punished the drivers but applied common sense.

I think that the difference in this case is the fact that both Alonso and Webber acted recklessly and therefore common sense actually suggested some form of punishment, a reprimand is the lowest level of punishment and therefore I don’t think the FIA or Stewards can be faulted here. We’ll never know whether the stewards would have overlooked the matter if Alonso had stopped safely and Webber hadn’t run so close to the moving Mercedes but I suspect they would have based on the other examples above.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 24th September 2013, 16:40

It’s all over but the shouting as they say. Webber and Alonso were reprimanded for unsafe actions, not the lift. The stewards were forced to respond because of the dangerous way this was done. Wonder if anyone tipped the stewards off about Webber nearly being run over or Alonso nearly being wrecked into while stopped on the racing line around a blind corner. If the stewards viewed any of the available video footage they would realize two things, the danger involved and the fact that once the public viewed the videos everyone would know whether they had taken action or not.

I love the lift spectacle and I really like Webber. I’m very glad Webber is still here to complain about the reprimand. Too bad Alonso didn’t pull off the side of the track to pick him up, but Webber had already run out to his car and it’s all hindsight anyway. I read somewhere the FIA were going to advise against lifts. That doesn’t sound like an outright ban. Maybe this incident will serve notice that in the future any lifts should be carried out in a safer manner. Liability-wise, the FIA could likely ban the practice altogether if they wished to and it could be justified. It certainly wouldn’t be very popular with the fans and I hope that does not happen.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th September 2013, 12:29

Interesting responses so far. There doesn’t seem to be many people saying the FIA are using technicalities to punish Webber and Alonso for the lift.

One of the curious things with this story had been how swiftly some people jumped to conclusions about Webber’s penalty, then changed their minds once they saw the various videos.

But it bears pointing out the specifics of Webber and Alonso’s penalties were detailed in the original article on the subject. I think they were hastily overlooked by some people.

11. Hi,

Given the images, I think the whole think was dangerous indeed. However, it could have been done in a much safer way with minimal changes: Alonso could have stopped out of the racing line (e.g. there was space after the kerbs, even if Raikkonen was somewhat in the middle) and Webber would not have had to walk on the racing line either…
    We somehow have to take into account the words by Hamilton, who was involved and had to avoid the pair Alonso/Webber…

It’s a bit of a pity that this nice pick-up was done in such an unsafe way, which somehow ends up spoiling it and creating useless discussions (and a bad atmosphere around F1). Would have been so nice and good otherwise!

12. I think if it wasn’t his 3rd reprimand and all he got was a telling off mark, fans, journalists etc would not be too bothered by it. Yes it was fun to see him getting a lift back. But it wasn’t as much fun seeing him run on to the track while other cars tool avoiding action. It followed an incident in gp2 hours earlier where two cars hit each other after the race on the in lap. Proving the fia know the track still has potential for serious injury even after the chequered flag. I think the correct severity of punishment was right, sadly for Mark that was one too many in the season. It also stops it becoming a common activity. But at the end of the day it was an entertauning thing to see as are most things in sport that flaunt the rules!

13. Rossa (@rossa) said on 24th September 2013, 9:48

webber even didn’t get right for what exactly he and his friend were punished! Absolutely irresponsible behaviour!
    But webber knows well how to manipulate public opinion and now after his tweets his fans will start to write the real rubbish about how FIA’s stewards are stupid to punish for such a beautiful gesture! They’ll never get it wasn’t punishment for gesture itself but how it was done.
    My point after seen the footage the punishment was even too weak.

14. Classic Webber!

He misses the point entirely as to why he has been given penalty. It is not for getting a lift on Alonso’s sidepod mate. But for running on the track like a madman forcing the Mercedes drivers to take quick avoiding action.

This reminds me of his behavior after the Malaysian GP 2013 when he says to Vettel “Multi-21 Seb, what happened?” while he himself ignored team orders in Brazil 2012, Silverstone 2011.

Webber should join Big Boss or some reality show. He is very smart and knows how to cater to the unintelligent crowds and move their opinion towards supporting him.

15. “while he himself ignored team orders in Brazil 2012, Silverstone 2011.”

Why do you people ignore the cause/root of the problem?

Marks problems with following RB’s requests came after A/ he was blamed by the boss for causing the collision in Turkey, when every man and his dog knew it was Vettels fault. Then, Silverstone 2010, when they pulled his new front wing off his car and put it on his main rival/teammates car while both involved in a tight championship battle, with no explanation.

• RamboII said on 24th September 2013, 17:07

You forgot the teamorders Vettel received in 2009, wich is why he wanted to clear Webber in 2010 when he got the chance. Vettel was actually the first to receive (and obey) teamorders in 2009, Webber didn’t obey any of them, or made a fuss out of it, while he didn’t even like the front wing.

1 2 3