Second-lowest ever rating for Singapore Grand Prix

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Start, Singapore, 2013The Singapore Grand Prix was the third race in a row rated less than six out of ten by F1 Fanatic readers.

As Sebastian Vettel romped off to an emphatic win what action there was took place some way behind his Red Bull.

The only Singapore Grand Prix to receive a lower rating than this one was the 2009 race. And not for the first time this year much of the discussion centered on events after the chequered flag had fell, particularly the reprimands handed down after Mark Webber’s ‘taxi ride’ on Fernando Alonso’s car.

Here’s what F1 Fanatic readers had to say about the Singapore Grand Prix, including views from three people who were in the grandstands.

I had no issue with Vettel running away with the race; what he did after the Safety Car (essentially 15 qualifying laps to gain his pit stop back) was genuinely impressive.

That being said, outside of the battles near the end of the race, there really wasn?t a lot going on.
@PJTierney

Vettel blew away the field by 30 seconds which is unheard of in the current era, but you had really awesome battles from third on down, a ludicrous pass from Raikkonen to take the final podium place with a bad back, a great closing drive by Massa to get to sixth, Alonso had another dynamic start that lead to him finishing second.

Nothing insanely dramatic, but not the worst race of the year either.
@Rjoconnell

I watched the last 15 minutes, and thought they were great. Unfortunately, an hour and 45 minutes of “zzzzzz” isn?t offset by 15 minutes of great racing.
@Utbowler0407

Notwithstanding Nico Rosberg’s handling problems following the Safety Car period, some felt Mercedes’ strategy was too conservative:

Utterly frustrated with the lack of intelligence displayed by the Mercedes? strategy ?ǣ milling about in a futile effort to save the tyres when Vettel was flying one to two seconds a lap quicker than Rosberg was never going to work. Pushing might have been a better move.

Great battles and bold passes for third to tenth in the closing stages, and some intriguing dramas. I?m absolutely gutted for Webber and more so for Grosjean. He looked set for at least a third place before his pneumatic troubles.
@Bforth

I think we had to expect these kind of strategies (In response to a post on tyre saving / pit strategies) in Singapore. On street circuits like this you don?t necessarily go for the fastest strategy, but the one that doesn?t get you into traffic. The only one who could push today was Vettel, but only because he had a very big advantage.

It was the same in Monaco, everyone was cruising around in order to do only one stop.
@Yobo01

Some good battle in the end but again what’s the big fun when Button has no tyres left and is being passed by everyone who has better tyres? Strategy-wise okay but no big fun.

The race was terrific in the first two corners after which it was boring till the last few laps. So no big deal for me.
@Hamilfan

Although some changes were made to the track this year does the nature of its layout inhibit good racing?

[Singapore] …is just not prone for a good race. It is so hard to overtake on, and if it wasn’t for tyres falling of the cliff, and the different strategies, very few overtakes would have been made. Even the DRS was almost without effect this year.
@Testacorsa

Even some of those in the stands, who had the benefit of enjoying the atmosphere first-hand, were underwhelmed:

Sat in the stands and simply most boring race I?ve watched live.

The start was exciting, by lap ten I was thinking already this race seriously needed a safety car, by mid-race we got one but it made very little difference, the last ten laps were pretty exciting.

The rest, well, lets not talk about that shall we…
@Wombat1m

My second ever live race and overall the weekend was fantastic ?ǣ awesome experience in an amazing city.

The race though was another disappointment really. It was really exciting for me in the stands, but that?s just from being so close to the cars.

Watching live actually reinforced my feelings on current era F1 ?ǣ 61 laps watching turns one to three and I saw just one person mess up, and that was Max Chilton behind the safety car! You could easily tell Vettel was taking it easy each and every lap and had tons of time in hand. It was rare to see anyone really push to be honest.

And yet again DRS was exposed as a lame gimmick and is holding F1 back from finding a better overtaking solution. I think the change to DRS qualifying rules was a horrendous decision ?ǣ there?s even less difference between qualifying and race set ups so of course the quickest cars on Saturday should carry that over to Sunday with tyre management the only differentiator.

F1 is just not doing itself any favours, and I?m beginning to worry the rest of this season will only get more boring as Vettel extends his lead and everyone else writes off 2013.
@Graham228221

But there was one fan who gave their Singapore Grand Prix experience ten out of ten:

I was fortunate enough to be at the Singapore Grand Prix last night. It?s clearly more exciting watching from the pit straight stand and breathing in the humidity than on television.

I stood under the podium and watched the presentations. The booing of Vettel has got to stop ?ǣ I have this view even though I?m a Webber fan! Watching Vettel’s determination last night convinced me that he has a talent that should be respected. I was astounded how after each lap, the second placed driver was taking longer and longer to arrive after Vettel.

I’m determined to make it here next year ?ǣ I hope Daniel Ricciardo will have more luck than Webber seems to.
@Danieljaksa

Previous rate the race results

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

78 comments on Second-lowest ever rating for Singapore Grand Prix

1. kpcart said on 1st October 2013, 13:16

A few small f1 websites are trying to start whispers of Redbull using traction control on Vettel’s car in Singapore, and even go as far as giving video evidence where his car sounds different to others – its all rather lame…. looking to imply cheating just because someone is doing well.

2. Diego (@ironcito) said on 1st October 2013, 14:50

Which were the highest- and lowest-rated races ever? Is there a record of that somewhere on the site? “Ever” meaning since F1F started asking users to rate them, of course.

3. Ton Kunnen (@tonnie073) said on 1st October 2013, 14:53

You know a year is **** when Bahrain is seen as the best race of the year….

4. jh1806 (@jh1806) said on 1st October 2013, 15:36

“61 laps watching turns one to three and I saw just one person mess up, and that was Max Chilton behind the safety car!”

Any idea what this mistake was? I’m intrigued

• graham228221 (@graham228221) said on 17th October 2013, 17:22

@jh1806 – he cut the whole chicane while the behind the safety car. No doubt cold brakes and tyres were to blame.

It just amazed me that I watched over 1300 attempts at that chicane and that was literally the only mistake!

5. Although every “Rate the race” clearly says that people are not supposed to rate the race on the basis of which driver finishes where, it’s clear that loads of people do exactly that. If Hamilton had won in Singpapore in exactly the fashion Vettel did it would have been a very highly rated race. People marked it down because they were mad about the outcome, both for the race itself but even more for the 2013 title.

As with the “Driver of the weekend” poll, these polls say a lot more about the emotional state of the fans than anything else.

6. Rigi (@rigi) said on 1st October 2013, 16:13

there’s a reason why the most recent three races are this low on the ratings. vettel opening a gap is simply not entertaining to watch. it’s good for him and all, but damn… this sport is getting really really boring if we only ever have one winner.

7. Shreyas Mohanty (@) said on 1st October 2013, 20:43

@vettel1 I have always had a, IMO very feasible, explanation of Webber’s poor performance against Vettel :

1. The guy is old (by sport standards) and past his prime. His reflexes obviously aren’t what they used to be – and those can cost you a tenth or a hundredth of a second.

2. Vettel is one of this generation’s fastest drivers. Only Lewis Hamilton, IMO, is his equal over one lap pace. Webber obviously isn’t as good anymore. And the RB9′s main strength is aero. Vettel gets clean air while Webber doesn’t – but that’s Vettel’s credit.

Don’t get me wrong, the above were more explanations for Webber not being at par at Vettel rather than diminishing Vettel’s capabilities. I do accept, (like everybody else who thought otherwise are starting to) that he’s a piece of brilliance. Yeah, Shreyas Mohanty just said that! ;)

Yeah, Singapore was great for me. You see, I have learnt to “ignore” Vettel and RBR. From some time now, for me, the grid has had 21 drivers, 10 teams. And 2nd place in both championships is a win. Nice defense mechanism ;)

8. PeterGH said on 1st October 2013, 20:46

I thought singapore was a very good race.

Yes Vettel dominated & built a huge lead at 1-2 seconds per lap but there was plenty going on behind. Good battling, close competition, some good overtaking (40 on track overtakes through the gp), DRS was not too effective & positions 2nd-> were never assured until the final stages.

Don’t get why people vote purely on why wins, How they win & how big the gap to 2nd was. There are 21 other drivers doing battle.
    People should look at the races as a whole & not just the lead, If your just watching the lead then your not really watching the race.

9. manatcna (@manatcna) said on 2nd October 2013, 1:06

In my opinion there is only one thing worse than a street race, and that’s a street race run at night under artificial lights.
    I didn’t watch this race, so it gets nil points from me.

10. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 2nd October 2013, 4:10

I think that a large part of the problem with the race in Singapore is that it was race that happened late in to a season mired in controversy and problems and fans are weary of this. I think too, that fans are seeing Vettel running away with the WDC and it’s difficult for them to get excited about a race. Controversy and dominance are nothing new to F1, but this year it just seems a bit blase.

11. medman (@medman) said on 2nd October 2013, 19:10

V6′s huh? The show gets worse every year. Time for new leadership and a return to a V10 at minimum. I actually quite frightened to hear what the turbo 6′s will sound like. I hope not to be tremendously disappointed, but with the recent direction F1 has taken I already know I will be.