Di Resta still unsure over cause of Singapore crash

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Paul di Resta, Force India, Korea International Circuit, 2013Paul di Resta says he is still not sure what caused his crash in the closing stages of the Singapore Grand Prix.

He was on course for sixth place when his Force India understeered wide into the barrier at turn seven with seven laps to go.

“The big question is why it did happen and why we lost all that downforce and why we went off,” said Di Resta. “Even the team are a bit unexplained.”

“But at some point you have to move on, you have to progress and learn from it.

“Maybe in a different position we’d have done something different but we’ll continue to keep pushing because it is still possible with the car we’ve got, although it’s not the strongest we’ve got, it still can get results and our tyre management showed to be very strong.”

Di Resta believes the team were on course for a good result before the Safety Car was deployed:

“Our pace was very good. I think the whole weekend we took a different approach, maybe it didn’t look the best on Saturday afternoon, but we were the only ones that were going to achieve a two-stop strategy.

“We were strong, but you get unexpected things like that.”

2013 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Force India

57 comments on Di Resta still unsure over cause of Singapore crash

1. Candy said on 3rd October 2013, 18:05

I can’t stand his **.

He basically blame his crash on car.

And blame his lacklustre Saturday performance on setup for sunday.

Force India deserve better driver seriously, this guy is full of british hype just like Chilton.

I wish the UK media can stop hyping their driver up

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd October 2013, 18:15

Who in your view is doing the “hyping”? Because I don’t believe I have for either driver.

• Candy said on 3rd October 2013, 18:16

media obviously.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 3rd October 2013, 18:57

I think the BBC does to some extent.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 3rd October 2013, 19:45

In my view Sky are guilty of it too. Every broadcaster tries to promote their own countrymen so it’s to be expected. I just get tired of the pundits on Sky constantly throwing di Resta’s name into the conversation when talking about who deserves top level drives. Hearing them go on about how he deserves a chance in a Ferrari, McLaren or Lotus is a bit much!

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 3rd October 2013, 23:34

I can’t watch Sky here from Belgium so I have no comparison.

I think they are generally quite fair though, not overly favouring Hamilton and Button. I just find the praise for Di Resta sometimes a bit undeserved.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 4th October 2013, 0:34

Although I rarely watch the BBC coverage from what you have said I’d say his treatment is about the same on both channels. And generally when I watched the BBC they were very fair in their treatment of the drivers, but di Resta on both channels appears to be over-hyped and given a lot of attention.

• hawkii (@hawkii) said on 3rd October 2013, 20:06

The BBC used to do a lot of it, haven’t watched them since Sky came in so can’t comment on whether it’s still going on.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 3rd October 2013, 23:15

The BBC do a lot less evangelising of Di Resta nowadays, but to be fair, it was always Coulthard that spoke so highly. The other presenters tended towards neutrality.

• Nick Jarvis (@nickj95gb) said on 3rd October 2013, 22:25

David Coulthard does it a LOT, every chance he gets, he describes him as ‘young, talented’ and always talks about his career prospects, it’s bloody annoying, especially when someone convicted of GBH outperforms him every single weekend.

• I think he’s actually got some talent as a driver. Not as much as he thinks he has, but some. However his attitude is appalling and will probably cost him his F1 seat. Hulk back to FI next year?

• Keamo said on 4th October 2013, 8:46

Couldn’t agree with you more! Di Resta’s head has gotten too big and he needs all the humbling he can get. In his head he thinks he is the next big thing and he is NOT.

• Dafffid (@dafffid) said on 4th October 2013, 9:15

“He basically blame his crash on car.” – fancy that, a driver suggested his car failed. I’ve never heard that before, must be a first…

2. Pete (@repete86) said on 3rd October 2013, 18:12

Hamilton’s fault. Oh wait, the car went straight into a wall didn’t it? DiResta’s fault.

3. Candy said on 3rd October 2013, 18:16

Are you stupid?? nothing abnormal shown on telemetry means its driver error.

4. Rooney (@rojov123) said on 3rd October 2013, 18:24

He probably missed the breaking point and carried too much speed to make the turn. Then he tried to break, flatspotted the tyre and crashed into the barrier. Your fault, Paul. Entirely your fault.

5. I did like Di Resta, but he’s starting to annoy me now. Admit your mistakes – that’s a far greater sign of a strong driver than one who doesn’t. In other words, take a leaf out of Ricciardo’s book and admit your mistakes immediately.

6. Makana (@makana) said on 3rd October 2013, 18:50

Does Paul think he’s doing himself a favor for next year if he keeps it “unclear”. So the team says nothing and he says nothing, in terms of evidence, and it looks like he doesn’t want to take any responsibility for the shunt; a stark contrast to for example Ricciardo’s response to such events. I think a team principle is more impressed with an F1 driver who steps up and says “the data shows nothing… that was me…” instead of “the team are a bit unexplained”!

7. Is it me or the whole of Sky F1goes ga ga over Paul, when he sneezed, when he ate… God, kick this guy out of F1

8. Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 3rd October 2013, 19:16

I actually used a jedi mind trick on him .

9. Nickpkr251 said on 3rd October 2013, 19:26

C’mon guys Paul is used to beat Vettel All the time, and he got italian blood, notice he is in his third year and always victim of some damnation keeps him from podium he deserves, anyway still not experience enough to know why his car crashes or why Ferrari sign Raikonnen !

10. Miki celi said on 3rd October 2013, 20:10

Give the new Brit a chance!! Bird is the new kid in town. Ready to rock f1 !!!!

11. Mads (@mads) said on 3rd October 2013, 20:57

Paul is really getting on my nerves with all this. He is a decent driver. I really think that he is, but I can’t imagine many teams who would actually want him as a driver. When he doesn’t stab his team in the back publicly, he tries to hide his own mistakes and pretend like nothing unusual was going on and suddenly a wall just appeared out of nowhere.
    If he could just admit his mistakes…

12. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 3rd October 2013, 21:24

Maybe you find him annoying, but if I would pick between Sutil and di Resta, i’lll go for the latter ;)

13. Chad (@chaddy) said on 3rd October 2013, 21:28

It was Nelson Piquet Jr’s fault. He put the idea into di Resta’s head. Di Resta just wasn’t smart enough to incorporate it in any way into his team’s strategy.

14. Your fault Paul. End of.

15. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 3rd October 2013, 21:48

I don’t want to criticise di Resta at any given opportunity, but he just attracts it with his comments. He won’t take the blame for this crash (let’s be honest it seems like it was his fault), he has criticised his team in the past, often talks about wanting to drive for another team, and takes all the plaudits for his decision in Belgium like he’s getting one over on his team.
    I hope Force India drop him at the end of the season. Get Magnussen in there, and replace Sutil with Hulkenberg or Massa given the chance.