Senna’s death “still haunts” Newey

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Ayrton Senna, Williams-Renault FW16, Imola, 1994In the round-up: Adrian Newey says he is still troubled by not knowing what caused Ayrton Senna’s fatal accident 19 years ago.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Senna’s death still haunts Newey (BBC)

“What happened that day, what caused the accident, still haunts me to this day.”

Korea wants revised deal (Sky)

Korean Grand Prix promoter Won-Hwa Park: “I would say fifty-fifty [chance of the race continuing], but we are very much firm in continuously holding this event.”

Red Bull?s traction secret revealed? (Racecar Engineering)

“It is theoretically easy to modulate the output torque and charging input torque to an electric motor/generator using capacitors, batteries, inductors and a feedback signal. Torque changes are instant and control is easy and legal.”

A summit meeting to talk about the future (Ferrari)

“There are still important goals to reach but also plenty of opportunities to collect important information ahead of 2014, a year when the cars will see a host of technical changes. These were among the subjects that [Luca di] Montezemolo and [Fernando] Alonso discussed at their first meeting since the Saturday of qualifying at the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.”

McLaren F1 team announces ??3.1m loss for 2012 (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“Turnover was down from ??172.3m to ??165.7m, which the team says is ‘wholly due to the changing business relationship with former shareholder Daimler.’”

“Absurd” FIA rules may stop contested election warns David Ward (David Ward and Team 2013)

“David Ward, a candidate in the FIA 2013 Presidential election, has written to FIA Clubs warning that the FIA?s election rules could prevent any candidate from being eligible to challenge the incumbent Jean Todt.”

Force India: no rush over 2014 line-up (Autosport)

Deputy team principal Bob Fernley: “You would be surprised how many good quality drivers there are but if you are being realistic, there are probably three seats for four quality drivers. That’s obviously one at Lotus and two at Force India.”

Spirit of McLaren (McLaren via YouTube)

Tweets

Comment of the day

More DRS in Korea this year and not everyone’s happy with that:

DRS seems like some insidious godly test sent to measure my love for the sport. I?m still here but I?m losing faith.
@ElBasque

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Pankit!

On this day in F1

Max Papis, who turns 44 today, only entered seven races in Formula One, his best finish a just-outside-the-points seventh at Monza in 1995.

After that he headed for North America where he has enjoyed a diverse career ever since. He entered CART in 1996, taking the place of Jeff Krosnoff who tragically lost his life in a crash in Toronto.

In the following season he picked up a handful of wins and later made starts in the breakaway Indy Racing League as well. He has since raced in the American Le Mans Series, A1 Grand Prix and various NASCAR categories.

Image ?? Williams/LAT

121 comments on Senna’s death “still haunts” Newey

1. Section 1.20 of the Technical Regs:

KERS: A system that is designed to recover kinetic energy from the car during braking, store that energy and make it available to propel the car.

People would go off on fewer wild goose chases if they’d just read the technical regulations, which are freely available online. These regulations very clearly prohibit any sort of traction control, regardless of how it is implemented. They also mandate that KERS only “harvest” energy under braking. This “traction control via energy harvesting” theory is wrong, plain and simple.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 3rd October 2013, 7:05

@jonsan I agree with you, a kers based TC is very unlikely to give the seconds per lap he gains on the races, that’s all driving (kinda like Alonso’s starts).

But again, you’re missing the point, if you had an engineer’s mind you would see that recovering kinetic energy or put simply, charging the battery, doesn’t have to happen every they activate the generator, they could just waste that energy in form of heat, for instance and only really charge during braking.

I’m not saying at all that’s what they’re doing right now, I’m just giving an example of how engineers would come up with this clever ideas and how they’re able to think outside the box.

• alexx_88 (@alexx_88) said on 3rd October 2013, 7:43

@mantresx:

I thought of using this argument too, but then the actions would be illegal since the primary purpose won’t be energy harvesting, but actually traction control. The way I see it, in order to be able to use such a system, you’d have to argue that it’s primary role is not traction control. However, if there are some ways around this in the regs, then it would put a lot of sense into all the KERS-overheating problems that they’ve been having for the last years, especially last.

By the way, I, personally, consider F1 both a battle of the drivers as well as engineers, so seeing innovations and clever solutions can only make me applaud the technical team behind them.

• I understand physics and electro-magnetism perfectly well, thank you. I know what can theoretically be done. But I also know what is allowed under the registrations.

They are only allowed to charge during braking. So unless Vettel is braking while accelerating he’s not using KERS as traction control. What part of this is hard to understand?

• alexx_88 (@alexx_88) said on 3rd October 2013, 7:36

@jonsan: I think it’s more clever than that. Look in section 9.2:

9.2 Clutch control :
      The following applies only to the main drivetrain clutch or clutches, any clutch used exclusively as part of a KERS is exempt.

, meaning that you can control the KERS clutch automatically. Next, you just have to feed a correct control signal to this and, voila, you have traction… I mean energy harvesting.

How would you define “under braking”? I’d say that a very small constant brake application all throughout the corner, especially on the exits, with a braking system specifically designed this way, can enable the system and keep it within regs.

2. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 3rd October 2013, 6:22

So Mark Webber is 1.84m tall and the cars have to be a minimum of 642kgs (690kgs next season). Damon Hill is 1.82m tall and in 1996 the cars had to be 600kgs if I’m not mistaken.

The sport has always been about making parts as light as possible (does the phrase “simplify and add lightness” spring to anyone’s mind?), some drivers just make a bigger issue of it than others it seems. The cars do not need to get heavier, they are already going to be portly as I pointed out a while back.

• Hamish said on 3rd October 2013, 23:58

Well they do.

I don’t know about you but when I think of the characteristics of a good driver I don’t think 5 foot 5 and weighing somewhere in the mid 60s.

3. ramy (@ramysennaf1) said on 3rd October 2013, 12:57

all i know is that vettel won’t be among the all time greats until we see him in a more balanced car compared to other manufacturers, equal design and performance ratio, tyre degradation etc. his championship wins mostly come from a superior car to the other rivals…plus he has no prost, mansell, piquet, schumacher as rivals. enough said.

• All I know is that a how a driver is rated has absolutely nothing to do with your sentiments.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd October 2013, 19:06

I would say that that is factually incorrect @jonsan. If enough people feel that Vettel is not amongst the top drivers ever, than he won’t be considered to be one of them, period. For all we know Ramy could be talking about his own private listing of the greatest ever drivers :-o

I do agree that that is very far from being the current consensus, and Vettel is doing a great job of convincing most people who were not yet convinced!

4. Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 3rd October 2013, 15:10

Call me Mr Speculation regarding the KERS-based traction control, and I’m sure this wouldn’t be legal (though haven’t checked), but…

I’ve heard of Dakar type buggies using the reciprocating movement of the suspension to generate energy. If this were based on a similar mechanical connection through a small clutch to a generator, would it be possible to affect damping through engaging and disengaging the harvesting drive? i.e. would it be possible to create a semi-active suspension based on an energy recovery system built into the suspension (through a linkage of some sort)?

Actually, now I’ve described it, it sounds utterly stupid. But if it’s possible, dibs on copyright.