Hulkenberg hails “one of my best races”

2013 Korean Grand Prix

Nico Hulkenberg, Sauber, Korea International Circuit, 2013Nico Hulkenberg said his drive to fourth place in the Korean Grand Prix was one of his best yet but doubts it will help him secure a place on the grid next year.

Hulkenberg withstood pressure from Fernando Alonso early in the race and Lewis Hamilton in the closing stages of the race to claim his highest finish of 2013 so far.

“Today I drove one of the best races in my career so far,” he said after the race.

“I have had cars in the mirrors before, but today there were a lot and it was a bit annoying. Lewis really put the pressure on at the end, especially in the last sector.

“I knew I needed to get out of turn one well. The car?s traction was very good today, so that kept me alive against Fernando and then Lewis later on.”

However he doubts it will improve his chances of securing a competitive drive in 2014.

“I don’t think that this result only will change my future day and night. People have looked at me I think, if they are interested, for more time. Obviously today is good, no question, no argument, but they don’t just look at one race, do they? I don’t hope so, at least.”

Hulkenberg is one of the tallest drivers in Formula One and as next year’s cars will be very close to the minimum weight limit the extra weight he brings makes him a less attractive choice as a driver.

“I’m tall, we have a few other drivers which are tall, this subject will come up more and more, for teams and for drivers,” he said. “We might have to look at maybe doing something there, I’m not sure.”

“It’s not even worth for me to discuss it because I am what I am. I cannot change myself, I cannot chop the legs. I’d like to be ten centimetres smaller but it’s just not in it!”

2013 Korean Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Korean Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Korean GP/Sutton

60 comments on Hulkenberg hails “one of my best races”

1. Broom (@brum55) said on 6th October 2013, 19:26

Hulkenberg is an incredible talent. If Ferrari and Alonso are going to part ways than they should consider bringing him, making him #1 and building the team around him. He is superb.

Alternatively McLaren could get him to partner Button. Regardless, he needs to be in a race winning seat next year, not just any seat.

2. 91jb12 (@91jb12) said on 6th October 2013, 19:40

Hulkenberg said he deliberately did not defend into T1 because if he did, he was toast, so he would invite Hamilton to take a punt knowing he could get a good exit (unless Hamilton made a block-pass stick) and the one time Hamilton did go for it, he couldn’t block Hulkenberg and he went straight back past.
    Hamilton seemed focused on the run out of T1, I’m surprised he didn’t try and make a block-pass on him more often as he was close enough to have a lunge.
    Really interesting to see how they were thinking in the heat of an intense scrap- shows what mental capacity they have spare the better drivers

• zimkazimka (@zimkazimka) said on 7th October 2013, 4:28

hamilton’s tires were destroyed by the end of the race, plus he was well aware of a ferrari behind him – this might have prevented him from pushing harder to overtake.

3. Mike (@mike) said on 7th October 2013, 4:22

If he doesn’t land a seat I will have no words.

4. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 7th October 2013, 7:19

I would like to think that Hulkenberg’s story will turn out differently, however, I think he’ll end up as the same hard luck story of fellow tall driver Alex Wurz, who had similar issues in the 90′s and early 00′s, but never had his F1 career launch. Wurz had some good drives, and had some bad ones too. The reality is, that having a heavier driver means that teams can’t run the ballast that they’ve become use to using. Teams use ballast in different areas other than under the drivers seat, in fact I don’t know of any team running ballast under the drivers seat, and instead its used to balance and cure handling issues of a car suffering from understeer or oversteer.

For those that know me, they know that I’m keen supporter of German F1 drivers, and have been a keen support of Hulkenberg even before he made his F1 debut, however, I cannot see a team taking a chance on him. It really is Lotus or Sauber at the moment and Sauber isn’t exactly a prized seat due to their financial short comings. However, Lotus already have a young driver in Grosjean and I would be surprised if they would want another young gun in that seat.

I hope that I am wrong because no other mid pack driver (possibly the exception of Bianchi) in the paddock has shown that he deserves this drive.

5. Nick (@nick101) said on 7th October 2013, 12:41

I honestly can’t see the problem!

He only weighs 3 or 4 kg’s more than Button and not much more than the rest.

Surely his talent makes up for the time lost with the extra weight!!!